Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
e: nvm

Grey Elephants fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
reply=/=edit

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Hagop posted:

Do my zoomed in screen shots from

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3629545&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post429838812

help?

The basic principle is mats move left to right in a tight main buss of belts. When you want to make something new you spit the mats belts you need for it and have the new branches move perpendicular to the main bus until you get above or below the main bus. The belts your branch cross get sent underground. Then you pull mats off this branch below or above the main bus and process them and add the result to the main bus in a new belt.

*edit: if you use the one belt per mat and one lain left empty for merging like I do. It helps if you make sure that the lain that has the mat is always the same one, and that it is the side that your processing will happen on.

So all my main bus travels left to right and has the mats on the bottom of each belt. So all my processing is done below the main bus.

This plus the picture on page 3 were super helpful. Thanks!

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I'd like to see a competitive multiplayer mode where you don't just run over and shoot the enemy, in fact you can't hurt them or their base directly but you have to compete for and steal resources. Not sure on exactly all the details but; Train hijacks!

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
If anyone else wants to cheese mission 3:

once you get the second ship, just go to the bottom of the map and walk through the dense forest. When the biters start coming for you throw out all your defense drones and loop around the biters and run up to the now undefended 3rd spaceship. Once you grab the computer the mission will immediately end.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Is there a prettier way to put items on the close side of the belt?

(Also you can see the results of babby's first bus, thanks guys!)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Everyone seems to be all about the efficiency upgrades.

Is there anything to be said for productivity modules? Theoretically they should allow you to milk ore deposits for longer, but with the obscene power consumption they cause, I find I have to sink an awful lot of materials into photovoltaics/capacitors for a modest production line.

Biters hate productivity, too.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
Trains are really hard for me. I can manually drive my train and it's fine, but when I try to tell it to automate it says no pathing

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Rapner posted:

Is there a prettier way to put items on the close side of the belt?

If you plan on continuing that belt and putting more green factories that will need the near side of the belt, no.
I recommend just putting them on them on the nearside and then dumping it all at the end like this:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Platystemon posted:

Is there anything to be said for productivity modules? Theoretically they should allow you to milk ore deposits for longer, but with the obscene power consumption they cause, I find I have to sink an awful lot of materials into photovoltaics/capacitors for a modest production line.

Personally I'm all about speed modules, except for everything related to purple science, those get productivity. As soon as I start working purple science, my artifacts->sci get productivity, and every drat lab gets productivity.

That late in the game, I usually load all my electric furnaces with Speed because I need throughput. More parts for the parts god!

And I spend every night in the dark after 1000 accumulators die around 2 AM.

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004

Rent posted:

Trains are really hard for me. I can manually drive my train and it's fine, but when I try to tell it to automate it says no pathing
You probably put the station on the wrong side of the track.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

American Dad posted:

You probably put the station on the wrong side of the track.

And you have to build loops for the train to turn around unless you stick an engine on each end.

Evilreaver posted:

And I spend every night in the dark after 1000 accumulators die around 2 AM.

You can do some fuckery and make a steam engine set that only kicks on if the accumulators drain. Really though you should be destroying the planet with coal and not care about solar :colbert:

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 22, 2014

Gotdammy
Feb 17, 2014

Platystemon posted:

Productivity modules are pretty rear end at the moment. They boost your power use just like speed modules (which also increases pollution) and then they dump more pollution on top of that. So you end up with 4 times the pollution in a t3 fab with four prod modules compared to four blues. And more power used. :v:

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Platystemon posted:

I use them for most things related to oil because I hate having to move pump jacks and their 10000 miles of pipe around.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Now that I have oil bases out in the world besides my main factory I've found that loading oil into drums and training it by the thousands to my main base 8th awesome thousands of miles of piping to deal with and I get my oil very fast.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
What can light oil be used for? Anything other than solid fuel? Maybe I should just breakdown and replace my coal production with solid fuel?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It can also be cracked into petroleum if you have got to blue science.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ah yes, now I see it, I have to get Advanced Oil Processing first. I was so confused because the wiki said I could turn it into petroleum but it didn't say how, and none of my buildings had the ability to do it.

This fuckin' game man, it's sucking me in.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

It can also be cracked into petroleum if you have got to blue science.

Does any one have the numbers on this, is it better to crack to petrol then convert to solid fuel or just go directly to solid fuel?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Hagop posted:

Does any one have the numbers on this, is it better to crack to petrol then convert to solid fuel or just go directly to solid fuel?

Petroleum gas is the biggest limiting factor in some setups. Sulfur/sulfuric acid/batteries/plastic ALL need a steady supply of petroleum gas. Yeah, you can turn a surplus into solid fuel if you want too, but it's better used elsewhere.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Retro42 posted:

Petroleum gas is the biggest limiting factor in some setups. Sulfur/sulfuric acid/batteries/plastic ALL need a steady supply of petroleum gas. Yeah, you can turn a surplus into solid fuel if you want too, but it's better used elsewhere.

Once you get adv processing you should be swimming in petrol in just whats coming out of the refinery.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I would suggest turning all heavy oil into lubricant for drones/belts, and cracking all light into petroleum.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 22, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Hagop posted:

Once you get adv processing you should be swimming in petrol in just whats coming out of the refinery.

I'm always starved for petroleum with 3 refineries working at full tilt, one Heavy->Light cracking (plus a lube factory), and three light->petrol cracking. Artifact construction required immense resources. :dota101:

That mostly powers 4 Battery lines and ~12 Advanced Circuit factories (2 plastics lines), plus explosives for grenades and rockets, and spare acid for 3 Processor factories. I don't know where people get the spare oil for solid fuel, but I've been pretty lucky with my coal deposits.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 22, 2014

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

What on earth are you doing with four battery factories? I seem to have no problems at all getting enough batteries for tech, accumulators, and a mountain of laser turrets out of one factory.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Filthy Monkey posted:

What on earth are you doing with four battery factories? I seem to have no problems at all getting enough batteries for tech, accumulators, and a mountain of laser turrets out of one factory.

Fifteen science labs that need blue science, plus accumulators (like I said earlier, my last bank was 1000) and of course turrets. Mostly the blue science.

E: Four actually is too many; it does let the line back up- but once it backs up to the Accumulator factory, that thing is fast enough on its own to eat every battery that comes its way, which is fed to a construction robot to be placed in the field immediately. This game's pretty great.

E2: And bot frames

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 22, 2014

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

That mostly powers 4 Battery lines and ~12 Advanced Circuit factories (2 plastics lines), plus explosives for grenades and rockets, and spare acid for 3 Processor factories. I don't know where people get the spare oil for solid fuel, but I've been pretty lucky with my coal deposits.

Yikes 12 AC factories what are you building with all those ACs?

Evilreaver posted:

Fifteen science labs that need blue science, plus accumulators (like I said earlier, my last bank was 1000) and of course turrets. Mostly the blue science.

E2: And bot frames

Wow are you all green or something that is gently caress ton too many of accumulators.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 22, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Hagop posted:

Yikes 12 AC factories what are you building with all those ACs?

Wow are you all green or something that is gently caress ton to many of accumulators.

I try to go very strongly green, since going black summons hell on earth to the tune of 3-5 Big Fuckers per wave (and even Laser turrets have trouble with those numbers hitting constantly). With all those AdvCircuits I make (again) Blue science, processors, and modules out the rear end. You should see my Wire bill, it can spike up to 6000/minute. (Hit P)

parts for the parts god

E: I should say I try to go very green, but efficiency modules are for nerds. Virtually everything runs Speed unless it is not physically possible to feed supplies in that quick, in which case they get Production. This is why with 1500/1000 solars/accums and climbing, I spend 2AM in the dark.

VVV I... don't think that's true. Large Biters are virtually immune to gun turrets (taking 1-5 damage per shot and having, what, 450 health?) in the best case, handling more than 2-3 would be problematic even with dozens of gun turrets.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 22, 2014

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

I try to go very strongly green, since going black summons hell on earth to the tune of 3-5 Big Fuckers per wave (and even Laser turrets have trouble with those numbers hitting constantly). With all those AdvCircuits I make (again) Blue science, processors, and modules out the rear end. You should see my Wire bill, it can spike up to 6000/minute. (Hit P)

parts for the parts god

HA, I was handling 5 LB back before I switched to lasers. My power plant has 60 lasers that can bare on any of the waves that come at it, the loving things still manage to hit the walls every time.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Evilreaver posted:

You should see my Wire bill, it can spike up to 6000/minute. (Hit P)
parts for the parts god

That is handy!

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
I have a chemical plant hooked up to a light oil pipeline and a heavy oil pipeline. The plant is set to produce flamethrower fuel, but none of the oil is going in. Am I missing something?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
For those having trouble with biters tearing down your walls, y'all should do this poo poo:

It's pretty effective.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grey Elephants posted:

I have a chemical plant hooked up to a light oil pipeline and a heavy oil pipeline. The plant is set to produce flamethrower fuel, but none of the oil is going in. Am I missing something?

You need to use all of the products produced by the refinery or it will stop working. Build a storage tank for the gas or turn it into solid fuel or something.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Grey Elephants posted:

Hit alt and see if the pipelines are aligned with the correct inputs. Otherwise what Platystemon said.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Grey Elephants posted:

Make sure you've got the heavy oil pipe hooked up to the heavy oil input on the chemical plant, and vice versa with the light oil. It also needs iron plates if I remember correctly, you're not forgetting them are you?

Breetai posted:

For those having trouble with biters tearing down your walls, y'all should do this poo poo:

It's pretty effective.

Well that sure looks expensive as gently caress.

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

Hit alt and see if the pipelines are aligned with the correct inputs. Otherwise what Platystemon said.

That was it :downs: Thanks!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sockerbagarn posted:

Well that sure looks Factorio as gently caress.

:eng101:

Once you get robots, Construction Robots armed with repair packs mean that any walls that get damaged get repaired right away, and if you stock walls (and ideally turrets) in the storage chests, those get replaced if they ever get destroyed. Robots are basically the best feature I've seen in ANY game.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006
I thought I was playing this game pretty well, got a nice factory set up pumping out blue science and starting on modules... then I looked at power armour requirements... and back at my tiny rear end factory piddling out pieces... and I realised, ive got to start thinking much, much bigger.

The game is like a teacher letting me finger paint, but gradually encouraging me towards real art.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Sockerbagarn posted:

Make sure you've got the heavy oil pipe hooked up to the heavy oil input on the chemical plant, and vice versa with the light oil. It also needs iron plates if I remember correctly, you're not forgetting them are you?

Well that sure looks expensive as gently caress.

Eh. Try it with red conveyers - it still has an appreciable effect, especially against swarms with multiple big biters.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Breetai posted:

Eh. Try it with red conveyers - it still has an appreciable effect, especially against swarms with multiple big biters.

Oh it's definitely a cool idea, I just haven't had any problems with the more direct approach.

The biters turn into mush before they get close enough to scratch my walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

TheBlackVegetable posted:

I thought I was playing this game pretty well, got a nice factory set up pumping out blue science and starting on modules... then I looked at power armour requirements... and back at my tiny rear end factory piddling out pieces... and I realised, ive got to start thinking much, much bigger.
Wait until you see the rocket defense materials.