Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
I absolutely loved how they did qualifying on Saturday. Letting drivers run multiple times created drama over the Fast 9, and it kept me entertained the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Hey guys, guess whats Sunday and scheduled to have 81 degrees, no clouds, and no rain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlgC9VE0fjg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lVNTkKTpVM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmX08S5Pc2c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu8YwDgWxwA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtiGra-pj5c

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

2006 (ignore the announcers completely because oh my god)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2faJYdeEPK4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of-FuBD_2jA

2012 Satttoooooooo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrFIc6RJKGU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8v-X6S4wlU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

Hey guys, guess whats Sunday and scheduled to have 81 degrees, no clouds, and no rain?

I guess I better not forget my sunscreen like I did last year!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

And oh hey, this is Friday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp1klmtsWQA

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I can't go to carb day, I just started a new job. :(

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Cygni posted:

No NFL, College football, college basketball, NASCAR, F1, golf, tennis... and the only NBA/NHL games were on in primetime later in the night. Really the only other sport even going on during that same time was MLB sunday day games I guess? Thats def a weekend IndyCar needs to take advantage of if they can.

I think it was because there was playoffs on the same channel afterwards. Actually it's how I saw it at the bar, they were prep for those games.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Can't wait for Carb Day as I plan on wearing this t-shirt and following Robin Miller around:

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

I can't seem to find this info anywhere else so I'll ask:

Is the Freedom 100 field going to be the same size as the previous IndyLights rounds (10-12) or will there be one-off entries?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This thing was a-loving-mazing in person.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Doesn't look like it, entry list only shows 12 cars.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

IOwnCalculus posted:

This thing was a-loving-mazing in person.

I was right behind that camera. :smug:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I sent all those vids to Jalopnik and they only posted the 95 Intro. Jerkbags. :colbert:

Maybe they will post the rest later, Travis is a big IndyCar fan.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

SiPage explains how standing starts work in Indycar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aziYXM2bFYc

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Bentai posted:

SiPage explains how standing starts work in Indycar:

But they don't :v:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I know this is awful, but I was watching the 1997 500 last night and I was getting nostalgic for the G-Force GF01 chassis.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Minto Took posted:

I know this is awful, but I was watching the 1997 500 last night and I was getting nostalgic for the G-Force GF01 chassis.

Did you watch the Sunday and Monday coverage. You want full immersion there son.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The 1997 and 1998 IRL chassis weren't awful looking, though the updated versions they started racing in '99 were much better.

The 2003-2011 (jesus christ) spec cars are, once again, the ugliest single seaters of all time.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

BMB5150 posted:

Did you watch the Sunday and Monday coverage. You want full immersion there son.

I was in Stand C for Sunday and Monday. :v:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The 1997 and 1998 IRL chassis weren't awful looking, though the updated versions they started racing in '99 were much better.
98 Riley and Scott was cool (and slow)

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The 2003-2011 (jesus christ) spec cars are, once again, the ugliest single seaters of all time.
Maybe that vaporware 3rd chassis builder that Tony George paid for to keep Lola out of IndyCar could have done better...

lol no

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

98 Riley and Scott was cool (and slow)

Maybe that vaporware 3rd chassis builder that Tony George paid for to keep Lola out of IndyCar could have done better...

lol no

Why did Tony George do that?

gently caress I miss Lolas.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

FuzzySkinner posted:

Because Tony George.

gently caress Tony George.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Minto Took posted:

Always and forever.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Minto Took posted:

Because Tony George.

I still think the problem inherently with the guy was he listened to perhaps the worst loving people in the world in creating the IRL.

It'd make sense if the guy was meeting with RP, Mario, Dan Gurney, and Foyt regularly. Those guys would have likely been brutally honest about things, and likely would have told him legitimate ideas to improve the series.

Leo "Doors Blown off" Mehl? John "Hang the phone up on CART in 96, BTW I work with the France Family" Cooper?

Those guys were "Yes Men" and Idiots.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FuzzySkinner posted:

Because Lola also supplied CART and this was near the height of the childish bullshit (2002), so clearly that could never be allowed. Lola was riding high at the time, and basically made it clear they were going to buy out whoever got the third IRL chassis slot to get into the market.

Tony awarded the third slot to himself, formed a random collection of people with no chassis experience to work on it, funded them out of pocket, then shut it down when it was obviously going no where. As a side note, one of the heads of 'Falcon' would go on to be one of the people behind USF1, hmm doesnt this story sound familiar? haha.

Oh btw, it wasnt a bad picture before, the Falcon's dimensions really were that weird/cab rear...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

God those early IRL chassis were pretty ugly. Almost as bad as the engines being badged Infiniti and Oldsmobile -- it's like nobody wanted to come near it with a proper brand without also wielding a ten-foot pole.

I did at least enjoy when they put the huge car numbers on them, making it easier to tell who's in what car is always useful. But ye gods that was an awful time.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I like the IRL chassis before the IR-05 or whatever. I'm also a horrible person so maybe that has something to do with it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Cygni posted:

Because Lola also supplied CART and this was near the height of the childish bullshit (2002), so clearly that could never be allowed. Lola was riding high at the time, and basically made it clear they were going to buy out whoever got the third IRL chassis slot to get into the market.

Tony awarded the third slot to himself, formed a random collection of people with no chassis experience to work on it, funded them out of pocket, then shut it down when it was obviously going no where. As a side note, one of the heads of 'Falcon' would go on to be one of the people behind USF1, hmm doesnt this story sound familiar? haha.

Oh btw, it wasnt a bad picture before, the Falcon's dimensions really were that weird/cab rear...

Now that you mention it, it does look familiar doesn't it.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've said it repeatedly but again; I loving love the B02/00.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

FuzzySkinner posted:

I still think the problem inherently with the guy was he listened to perhaps the worst loving people in the world in creating the IRL.
:vince:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

NBCSN is gonna have an IndyCar buffet tomorrow... Carb Day practice, Freedom 100, and the pit stop competition all being aired.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Just arrived in Indy, tent all set-up, beer cracked, I haven't been this happy in a long time!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
If you get bored you're welcome to come mow my yard!

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.
Paddock Insider @PaddockInsider · 2m
Awesome news! The @IndyLights 2015 champ will be awarded a 3-race @IndyCar contract which will include the 2016 #Indy500! #IL15reveal #MRTI

This is a pretty good idea - but it begs the question of who will they race for?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

....drat Dallara....you did good.

I hope the DW-12 can look this good when they finally put aerokits on it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The nose is still a little fat, but I imagine thats the only way to really get the front crash strength they need to run at places like Indy. The tub itself is basically an IndyCar tub, from what I've heard.

All in all, a friggen huge upgrade! Hope all the people that have talked about getting cars for the series do it.

e: Comparison shot. Angles are a little off but STOP PICKIN ON ME :( :(

Cygni fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 22, 2014

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Welcome to Indy

Nothing like a random guy sitting next his VW Beetle in the middle of a grass field by himself listening to music

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KingShibby posted:

Welcome to Indy

Nothing like a random guy sitting next his VW Beetle in the middle of a grass field by himself listening to music

Aside from driving a Beetle, I don't see what's wrong with this.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Wasabi the J posted:

Aside from driving a Beetle, I don't see what's wrong with this.

Did I mention he's shirtless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

KingShibby posted:

Did I mention he's shirtless?

You are in Indiana.

• Locked thread