Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

qxx posted:

Gregor1 was perfect. It really is a shame he couldn't hang in there.
Gregor2 was definitely not going to be able to go long term. Thought I thought his tall skinniness was kind of creepy and unique. Since those scenes were apparently not in the books (according to a poster on this page) Gregor2 should have just been a tall, creepy, cool Lannister soldier and not The Mountain.
Gregor3 looks like Will Sasso. And it really irked me how bad his intro scene was. Everything about it sucked but the bright rear end lighting, the shaved chest and the awkward upward camera angle didn't do anything for him in terms of character. That upward camera angle, ugh; that angle is the only angle that can make him actually look *shorter* other than birds eye view. gently caress sake.

If we couldn't get Gregor1 back, I think I would have preferred Gregor2. Sure he's skinny, but he still looked imposing in armor and had a cool voice. He could probably act a lot better than Gregor3 as well. Although, I have a feeling Gregor3 will pull of the stunts required of him a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Gianthogweed posted:

If we couldn't get Gregor1 back, I think I would have preferred Gregor2. Sure he's skinny, but he still looked imposing in armor and had a cool voice. He could probably act a lot better than Gregor3 as well. Although, I have a feeling Gregor3 will pull of the stunts required of him a lot better.

Gregor the Third looks too clownish for me and his Andre the Giant voice doesnt help. Ok, I get it The Mountain is big but lets not go over the top with a jovial Icelandic strongest man competitor okay?

DepoProvera
May 3, 2011
Fairly new into the threads so sorry if this is a 'thing' but oh my god Littlefinger's accent is terrible. I'm really really hoping there is a big reveal that it's the character's attempt at feigning an accent. If not why didn't they let him use his normal Irish accent as he's meant to be of no reputable house.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
like how many non book reader people completely guessed out of nowhere that it would be Oberon last thread.

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

DepoProvera posted:

Fairly new into the threads so sorry if this is a 'thing' but oh my god Littlefinger's accent is terrible. I'm really really hoping there is a big reveal that it's the character's attempt at feigning an accent. If not why didn't they let him use his normal Irish accent as he's meant to be of no reputable house.

He's the only character we've met from the region of Westeros he's from so I can give his accent a pass.

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

As a human being, I'm embarrassed.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

like how many non book reader people completely guessed out of nowhere that it would be Oberon last thread.

It's as if people who read the books come into this thread to say spoilers as speculation for some reason

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

That's one of the least out of nowhere guesses you could make

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I think the title of the next episode gave that away.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Buff Baby posted:

It's as if people who read the books come into this thread to say spoilers as speculation for some reason

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Macaluso posted:

That's one of the least out of nowhere guesses you could make

Except there's no reason to assume Oberyn would fight for Tyrion because the Mountain isn't declared Tywin's champion until this past episode.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Irish Joe posted:

Except there's no reason to assume Oberyn would fight for Tyrion because the Mountain isn't declared Tywin's champion until this past episode.

Look I'm not a book reader at all. But I feel like Cersei picking the Mountain and then Oberyn being Tyrion's champion were pretty obvious choices. The only other real choice is Jaimie and he can't fight well anymore.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

I've never read the books.
Never touched 'em.

I wasn't 100% convinced they were going to name the mountain. But after all the hype that came around with Oberon and his hate for the mountain and the show gave a good opportunity for the mountain to exist as a character again, I did have the thought cross my mind that maybe the Mountain could get nominated and it would prompt Oberon to rep for Tyrion.

This isn't to say 'it's obvious to everyone how dumb are you for not getting it'. I've had a lot of thoughts and theories in my head about what comes and what happens, and I'm usually wrong.

But there were clues there for this to happen, and some foreshadowing. The interpretation could easily be made. It could have been wrong, yes, but it turned out to be right. It's not a far jump to make due to the hype they've made this season with Oberon v Mountain.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

Brick Card posted:

He's the only character we've met from the region of Westeros he's from so I can give his accent a pass.

Would've been awesome if they decided some part of Westeros had a bawlmore accent. I'm surprised that the one actor whose accent hasn't improved over the seasons is of all people Aiden Gillen.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Except that he had a perfectly fine 'I'm just like you upper-class fucks' accent for King's Landing, where he was in most of S1-3, and was letting it drop in the company of the few people he had no need to influence with his fake poshness, and now he's let it drop completely now that he's, effectively, home.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Mountain vs. Oberon is the most telegraphed thing about this season. C'mon

DepoProvera
May 3, 2011
I love Aiden Guillen but his acting is just so jarring it takes me out of it whenever he's in a scene. Very disappointing considering I assume his part is only going to grow in the coming episodes.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

DepoProvera posted:

I love Aiden Guillen but his acting is just so jarring it takes me out of it whenever he's in a scene. Very disappointing considering I assume his part is only going to grow in the coming episodes.

Maybe he'll finally get to flex his acting muscles a bit. All Littlefinger has done these last four seasons is stand still with his arms at his stomach looking as sly as possible.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

DepoProvera posted:

His "part" is going to "grow" if you know what i mean :heysexy:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have seriously never had a problem with Littlefinger's accent, by which I mean, yes he sounds like someone with an accent, but I've never sat here thinking "God, what a terrible actor/accent". :shrug:

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Pretty sure it's just because it wasn't there at all in Season 1.

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
I don't get the accent either, are you all from the UK or something?

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

It's because it keeps changing from episode to episode, sometimes from scene to scene.

Also the raspy thing he has going on this season

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean it probably isn't noticeable unless you're binging, but it does seem a bit inconsistent as compared to other characters, if you watch a clip from season one and then one from this season. It's like he randomizes how melodic/gravelly he is from season to season.

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

I like to pretend he forgets how he is playing his character and kind of wings the accent.

DepoProvera
May 3, 2011
I'm from Ireland - I suppose UK and Irish accents all sound pretty similar to those of you in the US.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
He has lived in the Fingers, Riverrun, and Kings Landing for significant periods. His accent would probably be weird anyway.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I find the accent less weird and offputing than the fact that he only speaks with half of his mouth. He didn't always do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV6ecIfYBg4

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

DepoProvera posted:

I'm from Ireland - I suppose UK and Irish accents all sound pretty similar to those of you in the US.

Not even remotely. But I did spent a while in the UK so that may color my perception.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
There's no one for Jaime to fight that would have the same showdown appeal as Oberyn vs The Mountain. Two characters, either of which can die without much story repercussion, that have been (re)introduced basically for the sake of this fight. Behold the ratings glory that is two ancillaries coming to blows in a way that will change absolutely nothing between the Lannisters, the only characters who seem to truly matter. It would be completely poor writing if the show hadn't gone out of its way to tell us this at every given opportunity. The audience is the one getting duped and that is just as pretentious as it sounds.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DepoProvera posted:

No, not at all. I just think people exaggerate how much his fluctuates, unless you're binge watching. I mean there is a metric ton of difference between, say, a Cockney and an Irish accent to me; Littlefinger doesn't fluctuate that much.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jack of Hearts posted:

I find the accent less weird and offputing than the fact that he only speaks with half of his mouth. He didn't always do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV6ecIfYBg4

One time when I had the flu and my wisdom teeth were coming out I also sounded raspier and it was easier to talk out the side of my mouth.

Also sometimes this season he sounds like Tom Hardy's Bane without the mask, what accent is that

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

precision posted:

I just think people exaggerate how much his fluctuates, unless you're binge watching.

That he fluctuates at all is the point. It's noticeably inconsistent.

Not a binge watcher.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The difference in how Dany speaks now compared to season 1 is more noticeable to me, though I guess that's more deliberate as she blossoms into the flower of crazy queenship.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

KORNOLOGY posted:

There's no one for Jaime to fight that would have the same showdown appeal as Oberyn vs The Mountain. Two characters, either of which can die without much story repercussion, that have been (re)introduced basically for the sake of this fight. Behold the ratings glory that is two ancillaries coming to blows in a way that will change absolutely nothing between the Lannisters, the only characters who seem to truly matter. It would be completely poor writing if the show hadn't gone out of its way to tell us this at every given opportunity. The audience is the one getting duped and that is just as pretentious as it sounds.

How exactly will nothing change between the Lannisters as a result of this duel?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

precision posted:

The difference in how Dany speaks now compared to season 1 is more noticeable to me, though I guess that's more deliberate as she blossoms into the flower of crazy queenship.

She started out getting her clothes torn off by dudes and now shes telling dudes to take off their clothes :unsmith:

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

One time when I had the flu and my wisdom teeth were coming out I also sounded raspier and it was easier to talk out the side of my mouth.

Also sometimes this season he sounds like Tom Hardy's Bane without the mask, what accent is that

A lot of people have made comparisons about Littlefinger's manner of speaking this season by mentioning that its something from Dark Knight Rises, and I wonder if its because people have only subconsciously remembered that Littlefinger was actually in that movie.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

KORNOLOGY posted:

This is the stupidest opinion I have read today. And I have been doing a lot of reading.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Lycus posted:

No, he gave it to Renly. Stannis got Dragonstone.
Potentially worth mentioning from the books: for the Targaryens, Dragonstone was always given to the heir to the Iron Throne.

Perhaps Robert was carrying on the tradition, having no legitimate children to date (or ever, thanks Cersei :argh:).

Alternatively, Stannis held Storm's End during the long siege that lasted the entirety of Robert's Rebellion (since the Stormlands were surrounded by enemies). Perhaps he knew Stannis would be capable of holding it if the escaped Targaryens returned with a sellsword company to contest his hold of the realm (Dragonstone being the obvious first target) whilst Renly knew nothing of war (since he was a kid during the Rebellion).

Gianthogweed posted:

The white walkers are like a whole 'nother race of sentient beings that we know very little about.

Don't confuse them with the Wights though, the undead zombies that Jon fought off in castle black. They seem to be your classic slow walking mindless zombies, but then you have a dude like Berick Dundarion who's undead but seems to be pretty human with some rad scars and some memory loss. Very little is known about how sentient the undead truly are in this show.
One of Old Nan's stories (not sure if it cropped up in the show, but don't feel like it's a spoiler since it's literally ancient history/a story): a Lord Commander of the Night's Watch (#13, for comparison Mormont was #997, #998 is... ha, just kidding) fell in love with an Other/White Walker. He made love to her, returned to the Nightfort (the first and largest of the Night's Watch castles, the one the Sam/Bran changing sides happens at) to proclaim himself the Night's King and his White Walker wife Queen. He ruled for 13 years before the King in the North and a King-Beyond-the-Wall joined forces to remove him. After he fell, it was discovered that he had been sacrificing children to the White Walkers.

It's also rumored that was why the Night's Watch was no longer allowed to have walls protecting themselves from the south.

Lordy, lordy, it's so hot and cold at the same time: :iceburn:

Also, the wights have some memory and capability for thought because they tried to kill Lord Commander Mormont (a natural target for a legion of coldmen wanting to invade the realms of man). There must be some sentience or that's an impressive coincidence.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I could be totally off base, but I was thinking something when someone mentioned Drogo the other day.

The Viper. The name suggests.. venom. I would laugh my rear end off if he manages to drop The Mountain with a scratch of the stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

Speleothing posted:

This is the stupidest opinion I have read today. And I have been doing a lot of reading.

Even though the idea that the fight is without any consequences is dumb, I can see where he's coming from. The show has massively underplayed the Mountain, and you don't know him at all. He conveniently reappears for the duel after having a combined screentime of less than 5 minutes across 4 seasons and 3 actors playing him.

The fight would be immensely more interesting if by this point in the show, we were rooting for Mountain's death as much as Joffrey's. But he's as good as an anonymous overgrown goon.

• Locked thread