Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Is there anything in the books to disprove my dumb-rear end personal theory that if you kept going south it'd just keep getting hotter and the south pole is the land of fire and the north pole is the land of ice and the seasons are caused by the two waxing and waning against each other in eternal battle?

Yes, because it seems like Essos doesn't have the hosed up seasons, only Westeros, and on that continent Oldtown is the southernmost point.

Would be cool if true though, like that one planet in Foundation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

GRRM literally cannot pronounce a single name from his own books in anything approaching a natural manner, can he? He flubs Baratheon, Sansa, and Cersei in that clip alone :psyduck:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

visceril posted:

Yes, because it seems like Essos doesn't have the hosed up seasons, only Westeros

Isn't that still up for debate? Quarth and Slavers Bay are at the same latitude or further south than Dorne, so Dany's poo poo may be too far to be affected by the oncoming winter. I suppose we didn't see any sign of it in Braavos as I recall...

It seems to me like the kind of poo poo GRRM would pull with the title. The world being literally trapped in a war between Ice and Fire.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 22, 2014

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Isn't that still up for debate? Quarth and Slavers Bay are at the same latitude or further south than Dorne, so Dany's poo poo may be too far to be affected by the oncoming winter. I suppose we didn't see any sign of it in Braavos as I recall...

It seems to me like the kind of poo poo GRRM would pull with the title. The world being literally trapped in a war between Ice and Fire.

Or maybe gurm is just to loving poo poo to figure out how weather would work. My theory is that it's all made up and he has no loving clue.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Yep, and then Stannis, Davos, and Melisandre, who are all secret Targs, have to choose between appeasing the Ice King or making nice with the Fire Princess before Finn and Jake, the Princes that were Promised, come in and usher in a new age of sentient candy.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

visceril posted:

Yes, because it seems like Essos doesn't have the hosed up seasons, only Westeros, and on that continent Oldtown is the southernmost point.

Would be cool if true though, like that one planet in Foundation

I think Dorne is south of oldtown, am I imagining that? I don't have a great sense of what the reach is like I suppose, never really had a POV there.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jeffrey posted:

I think Dorne is south of oldtown, am I imagining that? I don't have a great sense of what the reach is like I suppose, never really had a POV there.

It's a little farther south but not by that much:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Wow I did not know the reach was that big, cool map.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jeffrey posted:

Oldtown is further south but Dorne has geography loving with its climate and making it hotter and more desert-like.

Jeffrey posted:

Wow I did not know the reach was that big, cool map.

Yeah, the Reach is loving huge and all farmland. Huge population and huge resources. It's why you really want the Reach on your side.

Speaking of maps, I guess most of you have seen the giant world map that came out in 2012? Martin says it may not be definitive, but is generally what the Maesters would have at the citadel; the bits in the east might be somewhat vague. Which is Martin-speak for 'It's what I have at the moment but I'm still making up poo poo about the east of the world as I go along'

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 22, 2014

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Can you sail east from Asshai to Westeros? Has this been brought up in the books? I can't remember.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TK-42-1 posted:

Can you sail east from Asshai to Westeros? Has this been brought up in the books? I can't remember.

Nobody is known to have ever crossed the Sunset Sea west of Westeros. There may be another landmass there, for all they know.
The ironborn have tried but never came back.

The only reason we even know the world is round is because GRRM said so at some point. He also said it's larger than Earth, though, so it might be an extremely long crossing to circumnavigate the world.

That said, the geography and measurements of his world have never been one of his strong suits.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 22, 2014

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Doesn't the Euron is Darrio theory rely on him circumnavigating the world the new way?

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
^^^that theory is somehow even more retarded than my theory that Davos is a secret Targ

TK-42-1 posted:

Didn't Euron come home by crossing the ocean that way? Maybe he picked up his Sharingan eye when he visited the leaf village in asshai

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Junkenstein posted:

Doesn't the Euron is Darrio theory rely on him circumnavigating the world the new way?

:wtc:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

visceril posted:

^^^that theory is somehow even more retarded than my theory that Davos is a secret Targ

It is, but I like it, and apparently there's an effortpost out there. Couldn't be arsed reading it though.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Thinking about Dorne, Oldtown, and Euron reminded me that Sam is 100% going to become a D&D-style wizard, possibly the most powerful character in the world.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Why do you think there's been no Balon dying/Euron in the show? Obviously we will see it is Daario's actor.

Some dude I just googled says:

quote:

Finally, TV-Show-Daario captures the Meereenese fleet during the siege of Meereen, something he wasn't ordered to do. Remember that Ironborn strength is at sea. He says that 93 ships were captured. Euron sails off with the same number of vessels, from the beginning of the "Iron Suitor" chapter of Dance.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want Daario/Euron to be true purely because it's too dumb.

Balon dying might come next year to help introduce the Greyjoy plot properly by having it happen in a couple of episodes so show friends have less time to forget what's happening.

If there's a year between those events, I can see show people saying "I thought Balloon was Thomas Lancasters pet cat?"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Daario is a pretty big bitch for an ironborn. What man of the salty sea sits around all day fondling fake boobs on a hilt?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Aurain posted:

I want Daario/Euron to be true purely because it's too dumb.

Balon dying might come next year to help introduce the Greyjoy plot properly by having it happen in a couple of episodes so show friends have less time to forget what's happening.

If there's a year between those events, I can see show people saying "I thought Balloon was Thomas Lancasters pet cat?"

Yeah this is the real reason but I can hope okay.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

The best thing about the world map is that it shows just how little Dany has actually accomplished with an unlimited amount of people giving her everything she wants plus dragons.

Oh you sacked 3 cities in a tiny little bay? Let us know when you do something that matters peasant.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Midnight City posted:

The best thing about the world map is that it shows just how little Dany has actually accomplished with an unlimited amount of people giving her everything she wants plus dragons.

Oh you sacked 3 cities in a tiny little bay? Let us know when you do something that matters peasant.

As annoying as it is that she isn't in Westeros, that's as facetious as saying if some random german prince knocked over the tiny little Netherlands in the 17th century, it wouldn't matter. The entire world, less Westros and Braavos, just had it's slave trade disrupted

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Goddamn it I want to know how this dumb series ends and I don't want it to be via some indecipherably-accented Littlefinger monologue set to a pair of bouncing tits. :mad:

THREE YEARS YOU FUCKER! THREE YEARS IS WHAT YOU TOLD US!

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

visceril posted:

As annoying as it is that she isn't in Westeros, that's as facetious as saying if some random german prince knocked over the tiny little Netherlands in the 17th century, it wouldn't matter. The entire world, less Westros and Braavos, just had it's slave trade disrupted

The rest of Essos is still dealing in slaves like, you know, the giant roaming Dothraki hordes and the cities she can't actually hold onto because she's incompetent as poo poo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Midnight City posted:

The rest of Essos is still dealing in slaves like, you know, the giant roaming Dothraki hordes and the cities she can't actually hold onto because she's incompetent as poo poo.

Except throughout Dance you see the impact she's been having in other parts of the world, especially with Volantis halfway to a civil war and the Fire Pope one step from declaring a Holy War to help her out. What she did had huge amounts of consequences.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Except throughout Dance you see the impact she's been having in other parts of the world, especially with Volantis halfway to a civil war and the Fire Pope one step from declaring a Holy War to help her out. What she did had huge amounts of consequences.

Consequences != accomplishments. Astapor is back to making Unsullied and Yunkai are back to slaving, she's lost both cities and now sits in Meereen and is slowly losing it as well.

For someone who was given 3 dragon eggs, which one was so valuable the Faceless Men were willing to kill a king for just one, for having legendary knights traveling across the world to swear her undying loyalty and service, and for cities like Qarth offering her basically anything she wanted she's accomplished hardly anything except to cause a regional hiccup in slave trade. Hoo boy.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

and now sits in Meereen

nope

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Can't prove riding off on Drogon wasn't a diarrhea induced dream.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
The faceless men will kill for almost anything, and almost nothing as well. The price is tailored to the client not the target.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

jsoh posted:

The faceless men will kill for almost anything, and almost nothing as well. The price is tailored to the client not the target.

No it isn't.

GRRM posted:

The Faceless Men don't post a list of prices on their door. The way it works, you go to them and tell them who you want killed, and then they negotiate the price. The prominent the victim, the more difficult to get to, the more dangerous for the assassin and the guild, the higher the price

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Winds is going to begin with Dany torching the entire Dothraki army, flying back to burn the Yunkish forces and kill all slaveowners, completely eradicating the "toxic" Ghiscari culture. The allusions to Islam will be incredibly ham-handed and we will all just have to deal with those problematic statements in our books about rapes and lemon cakes.

But then Victarion tries and fails to take a dragon because if he succeeds that will move the plot forward. Barristan and Jorah both plead with Dany to have her attack Euron before he returns with all of the Seven Kingdoms marshaled, but she decides to sit and rule what's left of Slaver's Bay. Tyrion decides to head toward the Dothraki Sea and we never hear from him again. He never finds where the whores go, either.

Nobody continues to care about Volantis, or the Free Cities that aren't Braavos.

Nothing happens in Braavos.

There will be another book before dream of spring that focuses on the events in Westeros called A Fucker of Absolutes

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

BorathiOWN

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

visceril posted:

Winds is going to begin with Dany torching the entire Dothraki army, flying back to burn the Yunkish forces and kill all slaveowners, completely eradicating the "toxic" Ghiscari culture. The allusions to Islam will be incredibly ham-handed and we will all just have to deal with those problematic statements in our books about rapes and lemon cakes.

We already have the hamfisted Iraq/Afghanistan allegory, why not backtrack it all the way?

A second dragon has hit the Red Keep. :911:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Midnight City posted:

Consequences != accomplishments. Astapor is back to making Unsullied and Yunkai are back to slaving, she's lost both cities and now sits in Meereen and is slowly losing it as well.

For someone who was given 3 dragon eggs, which one was so valuable the Faceless Men were willing to kill a king for just one, for having legendary knights traveling across the world to swear her undying loyalty and service, and for cities like Qarth offering her basically anything she wanted she's accomplished hardly anything except to cause a regional hiccup in slave trade. Hoo boy.

That's not a regional hiccup, it's a huge loving crisis that is still ongoing. None of the cities she has lost are safe, the new unsullied are a joke, and no one in the region is safe and they know it. That's why all those armies showed up on her doorstep: the rulers of the region are scared shitless of her and what could happen to them because of what she started. And if Volantis is anything to go by, they're right to be afraid: even if Daenerys botches everything, a lot of people are ready to follow in her footsteps. A ton of bloody revolutions are coming. I mean, the frickin' Fire Pope is ready to call her the Messiah, that's not a minor thing at all.

Now, I agree that Kelly C squandered a ton of opportunities and made a mess of thing. In fact, one could argue that the huge impact she's had was a blunder in and of itself. But let's not say that what she did didn't have an impact when the last book spent like 500 pages of how huge of an impact she had.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's not a regional hiccup, it's a huge loving crisis that is still ongoing. None of the cities she has lost are safe, the new unsullied are a joke, and no one in the region is safe and they know it. That's why all those armies showed up on her doorstep: the rulers of the region are scared shitless of her and what could happen to them because of what she started. And if Volantis is anything to go by, they're right to be afraid: even if Daenerys botches everything, a lot of people are ready to follow in her footsteps. A ton of bloody revolutions are coming. I mean, the frickin' Fire Pope is ready to call her the Messiah, that's not a minor thing at all.

Now, I agree that Kelly C squandered a ton of opportunities and made a mess of thing. In fact, one could argue that the huge impact she's had was a blunder in and of itself. But let's not say that what she did didn't have an impact when the last book spent like 500 pages of how huge of an impact she had.

Do you not know what the word accomplishment means? You keep replacing it with consequences and impact for some unknown reason.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Midnight City posted:

Do you not know what the word accomplishment means? You keep replacing it with consequences and impact for some unknown reason.

Ok, how is that not an accomplishment? How is disrupting an entire continent not an accomplishment?

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ok, how is that not an accomplishment? How is disrupting an entire continent not an accomplishment?

It's a goals/results thing.

loving up the continental economy is a consequence of her actions, but isn't an accomplishment in that it isn't one of her states goals (that's not true but that's what Midnight city asserted).

She hasn't accomplished her goal of gathering an army to retake Westeros, she brought the slaves out of slavery but she hasn't guaranteed them freedom and peace yet, and her dragons are growing wilder.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

ac·com·plish·ment
noun

something that has been achieved successfully.

Was she successful in ending slavery in Slaver's Bay? No, no she wasn't, she's batting an impressive 33.3% average and is well on her way to losing even that if she continues letting Shavepate/Hizdahr toy with her like a fool.

We could even go down as low as 25% if we factor in her original goal of getting the Iron Throne.

And again I said she's accomplished little, not that she's accomplished nothing. Considering she's been given 3 near priceless dragon eggs and undying loyalty from legendary knights and soldiers it's absurd.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It was a consequence of her accomplishments. There, now both of you are happy. Can we please stop talking about stupid boring books and get back to poo poo dicks and wet calendars please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
Will they keep Dany's making GBS threads scene in the show?

Frankly, I don't see what's even the point if it's not included.