Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

bUm posted:

Also, the wights have some memory and capability for thought because they tried to kill Lord Commander Mormont (a natural target for a legion of coldmen wanting to invade the realms of man). There must be some sentience or that's an impressive coincidence

It was one of two dead rangers that were brought back within the Keeps walls. I thought he ended up in Mormonts chambers because it was late at night and that seemed to be the only bright and lit up room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Seeing the Mountain engage in some brutality to peasants while commanding in the area that Arya and the Hound are in would've been better than last episode's scene, but alas.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Umbra Dubium posted:

There you go, there's some impenetrable prose for you.

Give me ten good men and some climbing spikes.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Anarkii posted:

The show has massively underplayed the Mountain, and you don't know him at all. He conveniently reappears for the duel after having a combined screentime of less than 5 minutes across 4 seasons and 3 actors playing him.

The fight would be immensely more interesting if by this point in the show, we were rooting for Mountain's death as much as Joffrey's. But he's as good as an anonymous overgrown goon.
He appears as often in the books as in the show (sans the lovely scene in last episode): Hand's Tourney, unknowingly holding Ayra captive, and for the trial by combat.

Most of him in the books is: "oh the Mountain is still raping/pillaging the Riverlands" (probably stated like a dozen times over books two and three) and the stories of his history (burning the Hounds face, raping/murdering Elia and children, generally being Tywin's go-to man for anything heinous/inhuman that most people would cringe doing). That is, you don't see him, but you know he's a really poo poo person.

Most of this is known in the show also so if that doesn't make you not like him just because he doesn't have screen time. :shrug: Learn to hate raping and murdering/maiming innocents more?

No More Heroes posted:

It was one of two dead rangers that were brought back within the Keeps walls. I thought he ended up in Mormonts chambers because it was late at night and that seemed to be the only bright and lit up room.
Unless there's more than this clip of the scene has, there's no evidence it was the only place particularly lit up? I imagine the castle is lit reasonably 24/7 given their duty (and the cold meaning fires in hearths would be burning whether people were awake or not).

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Yeah, the Mountain looms large in the show. He's been "there" consistently, clearly a character more significant than some with plenty more screentime.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
It's definitely significant, the Lannisters controlling the only fighter on the continent who approximates invulnerability. Between Jaime and the Mountain, they have probably come out well ahead on the whole trial by combat concept.

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

ceci n'est pas un presentateur

precision posted:

I have seriously never had a problem with Littlefinger's accent, by which I mean, yes he sounds like someone with an accent, but I've never sat here thinking "God, what a terrible actor/accent". :shrug:

Series 1 Littlefinger is English.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV6ecIfYBg4

Series 4 Littlefinger is Welsh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgBgC0By9Pw

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Anarkii posted:

The fight would be immensely more interesting if by this point in the show, we were rooting for Mountain's death as much as Joffrey's. But he's as good as an anonymous overgrown goon.

An anonymous overgrown goon who happens to have raped and murdered Oberyn's sister.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

Are people irritated it's a bad welsh accent? Or just that it's a welsh accent?

TITY BOI posted:

An anonymous overgrown goon who happens to have raped and murdered Oberyn's sister.

At least he didn't insult his favourite writer's prose style.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Given Littlefinger's sigil is a mockingbird, I'd be very surprised if the wandering accent wasn't intentional.

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

ceci n'est pas un presentateur

Great Enoch posted:

That it's changing. People are assuming that it's because the actor is lazy and can't keep the accent consistent between series.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

It's just weird at this stage, intentional or not. And it's become somewhat of a running joke by now. Honestly his native Irish accent would have worked fine for the role.

tonesville
Apr 25, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Given Littlefinger's sigil is a mockingbird, I'd be very surprised if the wandering accent wasn't intentional.

I said the same several pages back. It seems consistent with the duplicitous nature of the character.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

I think that he probably has a wandering accent, but it does post hoc fit in with the character's rapid changes in location, station, and conceit. Given all that, it seems an awful petty thing to harp on about as much as gets done, though I'm sure I'd care much more if any of his accents were 'local'. It's a bit like GW Bush going from upperclassy-erudite Texan to slow drawl Alabaman between Texas governorship and a presidential election. Yet, even that comparison fits somehow?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Great Enoch posted:

LF is a pommie oval office.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

No More Heroes posted:

LF is a pommie oval office.

What the gently caress is a pommie?

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Australian slang for "English"

Woden
May 6, 2006

Slur against Brits.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Woden posted:

Slur against Brits.

Off topic, but is "limey" considered offensive? How about "Redcoats"

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

Off topic, but is "limey" considered offensive? How about "Redcoats"

Most brits are so smug in their sense of superiority they can't really conceive of other white people calling them racial slurs even when it happens to their face.

Mainwaring posted:

It's just weird at this stage, intentional or not. And it's become somewhat of a running joke by now. Honestly his native Irish accent would have worked fine for the role.

Having a dude revert to an Irish accent after assassinating the king of not-England would be a little much even for this show.

Great Enoch fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 22, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Blazing Ownager posted:

You know, I could be totally off base, but I was thinking something when someone mentioned Drogo the other day.

The Viper. The name suggests.. venom. I would laugh my rear end off if he manages to drop The Mountain with a scratch of the stuff.

And the conversation that he had with Tywin after Joffrey's death, where he mentioned that he'd studied poisons at the Citadel or whatever.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Want'd to let you know I got this reference.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

tonesville posted:

I said the same several pages back. It seems consistent with the duplicitous nature of the character.

Yeah I also brought it up a while back but I have no idea if it's actually a thing or if he's just not good at accents or what.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah I also brought it up a while back but I have no idea if it's actually a thing or if he's just not good at accents or what.

idk I didn't mind his accent in the Wire but my roommate (who watched Game of Thrones before me) said it wasn't good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vmWkJ8hLoE (go to 1:15 for a speech; also season 3 spoilers for the Wire)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bUm posted:

He appears as often in the books as in the show (sans the lovely scene in last episode): Hand's Tourney, unknowingly holding Ayra captive, and for the trial by combat.

Most of him in the books is: "oh the Mountain is still raping/pillaging the Riverlands" (probably stated like a dozen times over books two and three) and the stories of his history (burning the Hounds face, raping/murdering Elia and children, generally being Tywin's go-to man for anything heinous/inhuman that most people would cringe doing). That is, you don't see him, but you know he's a really poo poo person.

Most of this is known in the show also so if that doesn't make you not like him just because he doesn't have screen time. :shrug: Learn to hate raping and murdering/maiming innocents more?

I've always assumed The Mountain wasn't so important as a character, but significant as a symbol.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
He's been the looming "scary dude" since the middle of season 1. First he burned villages in the riverlands, and Ned Stark ordered his head brought to him. Season 2 he's torturing prisoners to death, Season 3 he's back in the Riverlands, and people (idiot groom of the Red Wedding) will do whatever it takes to drive him back/kill him. I don't think he could be any more infamous than he is right now.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pretty much the Vlad the Impaler of GoT.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Red posted:

I've always assumed The Mountain wasn't so important as a character, but significant as a symbol.

Yeah, he's not exactly a character in the sense of most GoT characters. He's basically the dick with which Tywin fucks the entire world.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
The Mountain suffers the same character development problem Robb Stark did in season 2 and some of season 3. We are told how awful the Mountain is (he basically rapes and pillages his way through Westeros at Tywin's command, sometimes) but aside from a few scenes with him torturing prisoners or slicing up nobodies we never really see his awful 'crimes'. In S2 and S3 we are told how awesome Robb is at battle but we never actually see one.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Is there any in-show indicator as to who stole Pycelle's conveniently easy-to-grab poisons, other than probably Baelish (who if anything was probably given the poison by Pycelle himself)?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Is there any in-show indicator as to who stole Pycelle's conveniently easy-to-grab poisons, other than probably Baelish (who if anything was probably given the poison by Pycelle himself)?

Well before Jamie sent him away with Brienne they wanted Pod to testify that Tyrion sent him to buy the poison, so I'm assuming that nobody actually stole Pycelle's poisons. I'm sure Baelish has his own poison sources.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Yeah, the Mountain has suffered a bit from being off camera a lot. Probably works better in a book format to have a character just be talked about. That's certainly why they had that stupid rear end scene: to reintroduce the character (with new actor) and making him seem "scary". Except it looked loving stupid.

I don't think so. There's barely reason to believe it happened at all. Littlefinger would be unlikely to source his poisons that way, since it adds a layer of risk.

Pycelle probably didn't help Littlefinger though. He seems to be pretty pro-Lannister (he helped keep the truth from coming out).

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I've had a pretty big event for the season spoiled, ands its really obvious there are a large number of posters who know and are trying to drop subtle hints that are really obvious if you know what's going to happen.

gently caress all book readers, basically.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I've had a pretty big event for the season spoiled, ands its really obvious there are a large number of posters who know and are trying to drop subtle hints that are really obvious if you know what's going to happen.

gently caress all book readers, basically.

And now you've told all of us, too, so thanks, guy

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

All men must be banned.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I just assumed he was lying out his rear end at Cersei's request and he hadn't actually had 200 different poisons stolen because drat dude invest in some new locks or something.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Neowyrm posted:

And now you've told all of us, too, so thanks, guy

I mean, you don't know what he's talking about, but as someone who has read up to the Red Wedding of the third book, I'm pretty sure I know what he's talking about and it is pretty eye-rolling to see some people just roll in and be like "oh hey I was just completely and totally absentmindedly thinking about this, wouldn't it be cool?" and it's a pretty clear spoiler. Not super big or anything so no worries.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

All men must be banned.

All Mods must serve

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Valar Spoileris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Every time you guys do this witch hunt for bookreaders you just look silly. In 26 pages there hasn't been a single untagged spoiler posted by a bookreader unless you count that minor white walker stuff. Bookreaders are completely free to take part in speculation and answer questions, and it hasn't been abused to spoil things yet.

• Locked thread