Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Fojar38 posted:

Sorry couldn't finish.

bet you tell all the girls that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

He's never made it that far.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

isnt that the wrong eye? :confused: She's closing her eye that is in line with the scope.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

orange juche posted:

isnt that the wrong eye? :confused: She's closing her eye that is in line with the scope.

i wouldn't be so sure about that being a her

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

:gonk:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

orange juche posted:

dont ask me questions about the random gis pics i post in a frantic rush to not be allowed to shitpost for 6 hours m8

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I have to wonder, would the VA be a little less overwhelmed if the priority of military medical was the long term health of the patient rather then getting them back to duty as quickly as possible? How many people are filing VA claims for stuff like destroyed joints that would never have happened if they'd received competent medical treatment?

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Jarmak posted:

I have to wonder, would the VA be a little less overwhelmed if the priority of military medical was the long term health of the patient rather then getting them back to duty as quickly as possible? How many people are filing VA claims for stuff like destroyed joints that would never have happened if they'd received competent medical treatment?

quote:

the priority of military medical was the long term health of the patient rather then getting them back to duty as quickly as possible? How many people are filing VA claims for stuff like destroyed joints that would never have happened if they'd received competent medical treatment?

quote:

How many people are filing VA claims for stuff like destroyed joints that would never have happened if they'd received competent medical treatment?

quote:

competent medical treatment?

AHAHAHAHAHA!

"You have a compound fracture in your forearm and we can't find two of your fingers. Here's some Motrin, light duty and no lifting for 5 days."

"FIVE DAYS! YOU loving MALINGERER! I'LL HAVE YOU loving SHOT!"

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

It's a Dragunov Queen.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

after afghanistan I tried getting sleep meds and the psychologist told me that my experiences made me a stronger person and then just sent me away. lmao.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

ded posted:

What are we going to do? Launch nukes at astroids? We are hosed regardless.

Thank the gods.

if we land ozma on it, the center of mass will shift and change its trajectory

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Armed security forces at a nuclear missile base failed a drill last summer that simulated the hostile takeover of a missile launch silo because they were unable to speedily regain control of the captured nuclear weapon, according to an internal Air Force review obtained by The Associated Press.

The previously unreported failure, which the Air Force called a "critical deficiency," was the reason the 341st Missile Wing at Malmstrom Air Force Base in Montana flunked its broader safety and security inspection.

The security team was required to respond to the simulated capture of a Minuteman 3 nuclear missile silo, termed an "Empty Quiver" scenario in which a nuclear weapon is lost, stolen or seized. Each of the Air Force's 450 Minuteman 3 silos contains one missile armed with a nuclear warhead and ready for launch on orders from the president.

The review obtained by the AP through a Freedom of Information Act request sought to examine why the security force showed an "inability to effectively respond to a recapture scenario." It cited their failure to take "all lawful actions necessary to immediately regain control of nuclear weapons" but did not specify those actions.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-exclusive-air-force-nuke-security-failed-test

:911:

MeatForBones
Jul 9, 2012

gently caress that

i dont want life to be wiped out by nukes

i want some natural poo poo like a meteor to wreck humanity's poo poo

something that really points out that people are loving worthless garbage that cant even wipe ourselves out

Just after a really lovely drawn out conventional war where we learn a lot about ourselves and look to a better tomorrow.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

quote:

The security team was required to respond to the simulated capture of a Minuteman 3 nuclear missile silo, termed an "Empty Quiver" scenario in which a nuclear weapon is lost, stolen or seized.

how would someone lose a loving minuteman 3? :iiam:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mike-o posted:

How exactly would one find one? Hang up wanted posters?

"Have you seen this Minuteman III missile?"

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Mike-o posted:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

50FA that posting in the gbs thread was :master:

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

orange juche posted:

Thanks. I knew that time was running out, that someone was gonna warn them.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

orange juche posted:

Link?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636439&userid=116143

50FA plays dumb to humor someone, and then slams down his unit patch and drops the mic and walks out, and posts this on the way out the door.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

God why did I just read 10 pages of gbs. It is I that has truly been trolled.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

God why did I just read 10 pages of gbs. It is I that has truly been trolled.

You truly missed 50FA's cold-war stories.
That's why you read 10 pages of GBS.

50FA, glad to see you're alive.
you should start reposting your stories/come up with new stories in that Tom Clancy circle-jerk thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3613906

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Reverand maynard posted:

if we land ozma on it, the center of mass will shift and change its trajectory

We can't get enough lift generated with current missile tech.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Reverand maynard posted:

after afghanistan I tried getting sleep meds and the psychologist told me that my experiences made me a stronger person and then just sent me away. lmao.

If Jack Daniels and sleeping with a gun under his pillow is good enough for Audie Murphy, then it's good enough for you.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

If Jack Daniels and sleeping with a gun under his pillow is good enough for Audie Murphy, then it's good enough for you.

One of my company commanders no poo poo kept photos of Audie Murphy and John Wayne on the wall of his office. He was a little off...

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

One of my company commanders no poo poo kept photos of Audie Murphy and John Wayne on the wall of his office. He was a little off...

John Wayne would be less weird because you could always just say that you're a big fan of Hondo or some poo poo, but the two together should scare shitless anyone under his command.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

One of my company commanders no poo poo kept photos of Audie Murphy and John Wayne on the wall of his office. He was a little off awesome...

FTFY

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
john wayne was a draft dodging human being hth

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
The former director of the KGB is alleging that Edward Snowden is cooperating with Russian Intelligence. The dude is an avid critic of Putin, so grain of salt, etc.; but then again lol if anyone thinks Snowden's asylum status came with no strings attached.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
How much can one guy possibly know that we should really give a poo poo anymore

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Even if we had irrefutable evidence that he was always spying for the Russians it wouldn't slow down his cheerleaders a bit.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
There's decent evidence that Snowden was a Rus agent or at least turned long before he got his NSA contractor job. Because I'm lazy I'm not going to look it up, but I'll link to this claiming he apparently stole a bunch of stuff on current (at the time) intel organizations and activities:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/lawmakers-snowdens-leaks-may-endanger-us-troops

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Two congressmen say a classified Pentagon report on former National Security Agency systems analyst Edward Snowden asserts that most of the documents he took concerned current military operations.

"The vast majority of the material was related to the Defense Department, and our military services," not NSA operations, House Intelligence Chairman Mike Rogers said in an interview Thursday.

"Clearly, given the scope and the types of information, I have concerns about operations that would be ongoing in Afghanistan," Rogers said, as well other ongoing military operations.

The Michigan Republican and ranking committee member C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger, D-Md., said Snowden tipped off U.S. enemies to spying methods used to defend the country, and potentially jeopardized U.S. troops overseas.

They said the classified report by the Defense Intelligence Agency found that Snowden stole approximately 1.7 million intelligence files that "concern vital operations of the U.S. Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force."

That's a few months old but it's not like DoD or other intel groups turn on a dime. Previous really bad leaks like Ames etc took years to regroup from.

It's also worth remembering that while in this case the messenger may very much deserve to be shot, that doesn't in any way excuse the despicable programs he exposed, and if they hadn't existed then he never could've used them for cover, which could have much more greatly limited the actual intel damage.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Snowdens Secret posted:

There's decent evidence that Snowden was a Rus agent or at least turned long before he got his NSA contractor job.

I've never heard this even once. Source?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I anticipate more spies will probably claim whistleblower status in tone future so idiots will declare them heroes, and bog everything down.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

How does the tech dude for a contractor get this much secret information. I'm a low level operations dude for a public company and I would get investigated and canned long before I saved that much corporate information. There is clearly a problem with data access ability going on there.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

krispykremessuck posted:

I've never heard this even once. Source?

poo poo man I can't remember where I read the stuff but it wasn't someplace tinfoily. Here's something recent:
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304831304579542402390653932

quote:

Yet others—until now not often quoted in news accounts—see Mr. Snowden as neither a hero nor a whistleblower. Gen. Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, testified to the House Armed Services Committee on March 13, 2014, that "The vast majority of the documents that Snowden . . . exfiltrated from our highest levels of security had nothing to do with exposing government oversight of domestic activities." Time magazine on April 3 quoted Rep. Mike Rogers (R., Mich.), the head of the House Intelligence Committee, as saying Mr. Snowden was "definitely under the influence of Russian officials."

On June 10, 2013, Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D., Calif.), the head of the Senate Intelligence Committee, described Mr. Snowden's theft of documents as "an act of treason." A former member of President Obama's cabinet went even further, suggesting to me off the record in March this year that there are only three possible explanations for the Snowden heist: 1) It was a Russian espionage operation; 2) It was a Chinese espionage operation, or 3) It was a joint Sino-Russian operation.

Mr. Snowden's critics regard the whistleblowing narrative as at best incomplete, at worst fodder for the naïve. They do not believe that it explains the unprecedented size and complexity of the penetration of NSA files and records. For one thing, many of his critics have intelligence clearance. They have been privy to the results of an NSA investigation that established the chronology of the copying of 1.7 million documents that were stolen from the Signals Intelligence Center in Hawaii. The documents were taken from at least 24 supersecret compartments that stored them on computers, each of which required a password that a perpetrator had to steal or borrow, or forge an encryption key to bypass.

Once Mr. Snowden breached security at the Hawaii facility, in mid-April of 2013, he planted robotic programs called "spiders" to "scrape" specifically targeted documents. According to Gen. Dempsey, "The vast majority of those [stolen documents] were related to our military capabilities, operations, tactics, techniques and procedures."

Rick Ledgett, the NSA executive who headed the NSA's damage-assessment task force, said on the Dec. 13, 2013, edition of "60 Minutes" that this data contains "the keys to the kingdom." Keys, he told the CBS CBS +0.46% show, that could provide "adversaries with a road map of what we know, what we don't know." Many of the documents concerned secret operations against the cyber capabilities of adversaries. But only a minute fraction of them have anything to do with civil liberties or whistleblowing, former NSA Director Keith Alexander says in the Australian Financial Review published May 8.

The chronology of Mr. Snowden's thefts suggests that a top priority was lists of the computers of U.S. adversaries abroad that the NSA had succeeded in penetrating. Mr. Snowden confirmed this priority in October 2013, when he told James Risen of the New York Times NYT +0.41% that his "last job" at the NSA—the job he took on March 15, 2013, with outside contractor Booz Allen Hamilton—gave him, as Mr. Snowden said, "access to every target, every active operation" mounted by the NSA against the Chinese. Soon after Mr. Snowden fled to Hong Kong in May 2013, he told Lana Lam of the South China Morning Post that his new job gave him access to the lists of machines in China, Hong Kong and elsewhere that "the NSA hacked. That is why I accepted that position about three months ago."

Mr. Snowden took the Booz Allen Hamilton job in March of 2013, but it was only at the tail end of his operation—in May—that he copied the document (possibly the only one) that specifically authorized the NSA's controversial domestic surveillance program.

Take every statement by someone possibly tied to domestic surveillance with a grain of salt, of course, but the (circumstantial) evidence is something like this:

- Snowden quit the CIA for private work in '08. He claims he was disillusioned and could have 'done extreme damage' to the intel community at that point, but didn't, because he thought Obama was going to clean it up. Whether any of that sounds plausible to you or not is up to you, but at some point he starts angling towards contractors and work that put him back in a similar community. Coincidence / simple area of expertise, mischief on his mind, knowingly or not being steered by foreign agents, who knows. Similar patterns of behavior have been seen with other people known to have been turned Russian agents.

- Like the article says, he pretty much starts stealing poo poo the first moment he can, with a pretty good idea of what he's looking for, and it's not domestic liberties related. Maybe this really was all his idea and it made sense to him for his objectives, maybe not. He also has an awful lot of passwords and backdoors from day one; maybe he's just that good, maybe the NSA is that bad, who knows.

Casimir Radon posted:

I anticipate more spies will probably claim whistleblower status in tone future so idiots will declare them heroes, and bog everything down.

Snowden actually wouldn't be the first Russian agent burned using a whistleblower smokescreen so again this fits a pattern, although those were much smaller-scale and I can't remember who they were

- His escape flight path makes little sense unless the intent was to leave him in Russia. (I don't know if I buy this, his escape path made little sense regardless.)

Finally it fits other patterns of recent Russian espionage attempts: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/it-security/have-you-heard-the-one-about-the-21st-century-russian-spy-ring/#.

quote:

Moscow also sought information about personnel turnover at the top of the CIA and the 2008 presidential election.

I think there's decent (but again, circumstantial, at least the public stuff) evidence, but whether he was a straight up spy, a useful idiot, or a noble whistleblower has exactly zero bearing on whether the programs he exposed were morally and legally justifiable.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Snowdens Secret posted:

poo poo man I can't remember where I read the stuff but it wasn't someplace tinfoily. Here's something recent:
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304831304579542402390653932

Take every statement by someone possibly tied to domestic surveillance with a grain of salt, of course, but the (circumstantial) evidence is something like this:

- Snowden quit the CIA for private work in '08. He claims he was disillusioned and could have 'done extreme damage' to the intel community at that point, but didn't, because he thought Obama was going to clean it up. Whether any of that sounds plausible to you or not is up to you, but at some point he starts angling towards contractors and work that put him back in a similar community. Coincidence / simple area of expertise, mischief on his mind, knowingly or not being steered by foreign agents, who knows. Similar patterns of behavior have been seen with other people known to have been turned Russian agents.

- Like the article says, he pretty much starts stealing poo poo the first moment he can, with a pretty good idea of what he's looking for, and it's not domestic liberties related. Maybe this really was all his idea and it made sense to him for his objectives, maybe not. He also has an awful lot of passwords and backdoors from day one; maybe he's just that good, maybe the NSA is that bad, who knows.

Snowden actually wouldn't be the first Russian agent burned using a whistleblower smokescreen so again this fits a pattern, although those were much smaller-scale and I can't remember who they were

- His escape flight path makes little sense unless the intent was to leave him in Russia. (I don't know if I buy this, his escape path made little sense regardless.)

Finally it fits other patterns of recent Russian espionage attempts: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/it-security/have-you-heard-the-one-about-the-21st-century-russian-spy-ring/#.

I think there's decent (but again, circumstantial, at least the public stuff) evidence, but whether he was a straight up spy, a useful idiot, or a noble whistleblower has exactly zero bearing on whether the programs he exposed were morally and legally justifiable.

It's at least more interesting than the traitor/hero narrative that's been given. I'd have thought by now the spy narrative would have been pushed more strongly by current establishment figure-heads. Granted, if he was a foreign agent, it's not necessarily within the best interests of the administration to acknowledge that they think so immediately. I guess we'll all have to wait 30 years or so until they declassify those reports.

My gut instinct is to say that in terms of foreign actors, he was coincidentally an useful idiot. People do exceedingly dumb poo poo when they think they're taking a principled stand.

Best Friends posted:

How does the tech dude for a contractor get this much secret information. I'm a low level operations dude for a public company and I would get investigated and canned long before I saved that much corporate information. There is clearly a problem with data access ability going on there.

Really, really bad practices. Between Manning and Snowden I'm not sure how people haven't figured out just how bad it was.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Irrespective of his original intentions, I doubt the Russians are giving him much choice about his level of cooperation now that they have him by the balls.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013
The Russian spy angle is a reasonable possibility, although I would have expected rewards rather than ball twisting. Like giving him an award for humanitarianism and set him up with a nice house and job or something, seems a bit low key right now.

Of course the NSA people are all professional liars with no respect for either laws, congress or the citizenry. So I'll take them saying he primarily stole military intel, and not evidence on how the very persons testifying are all criminals, with a spoon of salt. Really, I'd trust very little being said on either side to not be quite heavily modified versions of the truth. Maybe in 50 years or whenever all this is declassified we'll get some insight, but for now it's all guesswork.

Personally I'd be leaning towards the in between explanation. He honestly was disgusted by a lot of the ends justify the means stuff going on behind the doors and wanted to expose wrongdoing, vacuumed everything he could get his hands on, then ditched the country and lived a romanticized 'life on the run'. Unfortunately for him poo poo like this doesn't end like in the movies, the government would have expatriated him to some friendly African dictators basement for some razorwire-dildo interrogations, and the only place where he could actually run was China or Russia.

Because, honestly, where the gently caress else could he have gone that the US could not have gotten him? I think that's the part that is kinda weak in the spy version of events. It really proves nothing that that was where he ended up if it was literally the only place where he'd be safe from any inventive and imaginative US interrogations.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Irrespective of his original intentions, I doubt the Russians are giving him much choice about his level of cooperation now that they have him by the balls.

Why would we think the Russians and Chinese didn't vacuum everything he had the second they laid hand on him? What would he have left that they have not already taken? It's not like he knew all that much himself, his value were the files in his possession. At most he'd know some stuff about US electronic security, but that info is outdated by now and on the same level as the documents.

Anything not in his possession would presumably be held by some journalist. In which case it'd be the journalists they'd have any use going after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Courthouse posted:

The Russian spy angle is a reasonable possibility, although I would have expected rewards rather than ball twisting. Like giving him an award for humanitarianism and set him up with a nice house and job or something, seems a bit low key right now.

Why would we think the Russians and Chinese didn't vacuum everything he had the second they laid hand on him? What would he have left that they have not already taken? It's not like he knew all that much himself, his value were the files in his possession. At most he'd know some stuff about US electronic security, but that info is outdated by now and on the same level as the documents.

The thing you're not taking in to account is the angle the KGB liked playing the most, which is planting the idea that the Americans play dirtier than they do. They even ran ops after JFK died , the moon landings and all sorts of other poo poo to get people to doubt the validity of any and everything the US did at home and abroad. Putin plays very much by the old playbook and he's not the least bit afraid of NATO, he postures in every aspect of his life, from shirtless hunting trips, to smug interactions with reporters to bringing his loving dogs to play with Merkel. Guy can't go 8 seconds without whipping out his cock and slapping someone with it then whispering "America could have stopped that but they didn't".

Snowden probably started out as a wanna be whistle blower, then they got to him when he started talking to the media and brought him and his files over, then used him as an Anti-Western puppet to sew discontent across NATO, SATO and other US allies. He's just a kid they're trying to use as the Che Guverra of the Facebook generation, but unfortunately he doesn't have the street cred. Putin parades him around to interview Russian intelligence officials on TV about the beautiful transparency of all things Russia. Putin realizes Snowden's value has jack poo poo to do with intelligence and everything to do with media perception, and thats exactly how he's playing him.

• Locked thread