Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Inspector_666 posted:

Box can be used rather easily just from the website, there's a plugin that will integrate directly with Office so you can edit documents and stuff on the fly without needing to download/upload like you would with Dropbox, so the lack of a good syncing app isn't the end of the world there.

Dropbox does allow you to set permissions, but only for top-level folders, which may work fine for your environment, and I can vouch for their backup/versioning stuff in the professional version.

Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Bouchacha posted:

You can edit the formatting field to only include level number from level 2. The screenshot is exactly what you requested. Were you having other trouble?

Edit: oh wait, I think I misunderstood your question. You basically want "First" to be transcribed into "1" at lower level lists. Not sure if that's possible.

Yeah, I think it can't be done.

Thanks, anyway :).

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Yeah, I think it can't be done.

Thanks, anyway :).

You could set level 1 to be roman numerals or something, and then do a find replace after you're all done.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Bouchacha posted:

You could set level 1 to be roman numerals or something, and then do a find replace after you're all done.

Hah, well, eventually these contracts make their way into the outside world and a whole bunch of people look them over and modify them and most of them are completely useless with Word other than knowing how to enable Track Changes, so I'd rather keep it as simple as possible.

It's a good suggestion, though, I'll keep it in mind for projects where I have full control, thanks.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Why don't you just use stylized headings for the sections, then use a regular numbered list for the 1 and 1.1 parts? You can choose to have Word continue the list, so your second heading could say SECOND and continue the list with 2, 2.1 and so on.

Am I missing something?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

What's the recommended task/process manager replacement or whatever it would be called?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Baram posted:

What's the recommended task/process manager replacement or whatever it would be called?

I think people like "Process Explorer" which is a SysInternals thing?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there some kind of way to reverse stereo in Windows 7? My friggin sound driver doesn't seem to have the option. Is there a program that can do it? I've tried Power Mixer and it didn't do anything at all.

For some reason my new headphones are wired backwards or something.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

ChairMaster posted:

Is there some kind of way to reverse stereo in Windows 7? My friggin sound driver doesn't seem to have the option. Is there a program that can do it? I've tried Power Mixer and it didn't do anything at all.

For some reason my new headphones are wired backwards or something.

As far as I know there isn't a general software solution to this for Windows, there might be for individual applications but you're just hoping there.

The SuperUser (a StackExchange site) thread on the subject has a hardware solution as its top answer.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Made a thread for useful Windows freeware. Check it out!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636485

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Read posted:

As far as I know there isn't a general software solution to this for Windows, there might be for individual applications but you're just hoping there.

The SuperUser (a StackExchange site) thread on the subject has a hardware solution as its top answer.

That is so weird. I'm no programmer but it seems like a super simple thing to be able to program. Thanks anyways.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It would be easy enough for a few buck to create a physical adapter that will switch stereo. Just need a pin and jack from radioshack, and a bit of wire. The contacts are easy and well documented. Could probably even electrical tape the contacts if you're not into soldering.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

crestfallen posted:

Why don't you just use stylized headings for the sections, then use a regular numbered list for the 1 and 1.1 parts? You can choose to have Word continue the list, so your second heading could say SECOND and continue the list with 2, 2.1 and so on.

Am I missing something?

I need the first heading to update automatically as well. Contracts can get pretty long and manually updating each heading would become impossible and also error-prone.

I'd also have to manually set the starting number of the "list" section to match the heading, each time.

I appreciate that it's a solution, but the idea is to automate it as much as possible to save time in the future. At this point I think I'm just going to switch the language to something like:

Clause I
 I.1
  I.1.1.

Clause II
 II.1
  II.1.1.

Thanks for the suggestions, though!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Has anyone else run into the issue of the Windows 7 update KB2926765 breaking the loving *.exe file association? Ran into it on a client's machine and assumed it must have been malware or something that did it. Rolled back to a restore point everything was fine, ran AV scans, as soon as I applied Windows updates it broke again. Narrowed it down to that particular update and it seems other people have run into it: http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/331643-kb2926765-bad-may-update-windows-7-leaves-system-unusable.html

I'm assuming it doesn't affect most Win7 systems or everyone would be crying bloody murder, but does anyone have a clue what the common denominator on systems it does hit is?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Are you sure you have the headphones on the right way?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

ChairMaster posted:

That is so weird. I'm no programmer but it seems like a super simple thing to be able to program. Thanks anyways.

I'm a bit fuzzy on this but my understanding is that programs decide how the audio is played, not Windows. Since programs can choose to do this in all sorts of ways, there's no generalized interface for interfering with it.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

ChairMaster posted:

You'd think so, but low-level Windows audio is a minefield. I've looked into hooking WASAPI before (to make something that'd let me dynamically change the device that running apps output to), and I had to give up. It'd be possible to make the thing you want, but you'd have to find someone who can figure out WASAPI hooking.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It seems like Windows just passes through audio from programs, and that's why it's so hard to point it places without separate devices for each output, etc.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Hooking WASAPI is the 'wrong' approach. Starting from Windows Vista and up, the audio pipeline allows you to insert Audio Processing Objects (APO/sAPO) into the pipeline both at a per-process level and at a system-wide post-mix level. You just need an APO that swaps the channels. One of the code examples in the WinDDK does exactly that, in fact.

Problem is that unless you get yourself a driver signing certificate from Microsoft, you have to disable the protected audio graph (PUMA) to install an unsigned APO; which means anything that requires the protected audio graph, such as Netflix, will stop working.

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.

biznatchio posted:

Problem is that unless you get yourself a driver signing certificate from Microsoft, you have to disable the protected audio graph (PUMA) to install an unsigned APO; which means anything that requires the protected audio graph, such as Netflix, will stop working.

And this would be because of some DRM nonsense I'm sure. For audio, where it would take 1 minute and 1 dollar to plug a cable from the output to some recording device, demonstrating to all the executives how it could never possibly be effective. Hellyes.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
So I need a copy of Windows 8.1 or 7 OEM as I am installing on a new PC from no prior OS. I see a student version is available. MY wife has a working student e-mail. What is required to redeem the student version?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Plug student e-mail into redemption thingy. Maybe have her submit evidence of enrollment (some institutions cooperate more with Microsoft than others). Once recognized as a student: Insert credit card info, incur charge, receive product key.

Note that these days it might require a Microsoft account. Not great for storing anything you care about keeping secure (unless you or your local software already encrypted it) thanks to recent revelations, but no one is, and having alternative omnibus accounts is useful.

They'll also probably have downloads available through some service or other. For Windows 8.1 probably just the Upgrade Assistant. 7 is fine if you already have it but I wouldn't buy it new (but watch Microsoft do ten years of outreach again like with XP).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 24, 2014

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I asked this in the 8.1 thread and someone recommended LapLink PCmover , but I wanted to see if there were other alternatives:

Is there an application for Windows 8.1 that operates like Titanium Backup for Android? I basically want to do a completely clean install and then restore certain applications (and their data/preferences) one by one as I need them.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I'm buying a Windows 8 laptop soon and I was wondering if you guys could recommend any useful websites that has lists, guides, reviews for (Windows 8) software and configurations.

Basically, something trustworthy and not adware infected swamps like cnet.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I know there was a thread around here before, but is there anything that's feature-similar to LogMeIn? TeamViewer is...clunky. The windows hang around after you disconnect/etc. LogMeIn just kind of worked, but their licensed version is expensive (and TeamViewer even more so).

Any good alternatives? I'd be happy to pay if needed, just looking for something more reasonable for personal use.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Kalenden posted:

I'm buying a Windows 8 laptop soon and I was wondering if you guys could recommend any useful websites that has lists, guides, reviews for (Windows 8) software and configurations.

What are you talking about? Common sense might be a good start.

Falcon2001 posted:

I know there was a thread around here before, but is there anything that's feature-similar to LogMeIn? TeamViewer is...clunky. The windows hang around after you disconnect/etc. LogMeIn just kind of worked, but their licensed version is expensive (and TeamViewer even more so).

Any good alternatives? I'd be happy to pay if needed, just looking for something more reasonable for personal use.

LogMeIn Hamachi is still free and works great - https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/download.aspx

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Grawl posted:

What are you talking about? Common sense might be a good start.

LogMeIn Hamachi is still free and works great - https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/download.aspx

Not looking for the private network thing (used it for a few years, dropped it because it would randomly interfere with other traffic.), just the computer management part.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I'm having an issue in Google Play with a song that shares the same name by two different artists, so both songs show up under the wrong artists. All the metadata is correct, any idea how to stop them showing up?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've used Chrome Remote Desktop (might not be the actual name) a little recently, and as long as no full-screen programs were launched, it worked great.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Falcon2001 posted:

Join.me is still a good option if you are just supporting people as they're on the computer and don't need unattended access.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

Join.me is still a good option if you are just supporting people as they're on the computer and don't need unattended access.

Typical Join.Me session::
"Do I click Start Meeting or Join Meeting?" Join.
"Do you want to run or save join.me.exe?" Run.
"Nothing happened." Did you hit run?
"No I saved it." Well look wherever you saved it and click it.
"Where did it save?" I don't know. Check your downloads folder. Ten minutes pass with a running narrative of every filename in the Downloads folder.
Just go re-download the executable and hit run when it asks this time.
"OK. What was the name of the website again?" https://www.join.me
"Dot com?" No. Just https://www.join.me.
"j-o-i-n-dot-m-e" Yes.
"Nothing is happening" Press enter.
"An unidentified program wants to access your computer. Should I say yes?" Yes.
"Do you want the following program to make changes to your computer? Should I say yes?" Just.press.YES.FOR.gently caress'S.SAKE!

I still prefer Team Viewer, and I resent that they removed Remote Assistance from Win8

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any good alternative to IrfanView for viewing GIFs and images in general?

I only just noticed that GIFs have really low FPS - or something - compared to viewing them in a browser.

Kinda blowing my mind that it's possible in 2014.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 27, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

WorkingStiff posted:

I still prefer Team Viewer, and I resent that they removed Remote Assistance from Win8

Huh? It's still there, but the search term is a little different. I have to search for invite rather than remote assistance.

Start - Search - Invite someone to connect to your PC and help you, or offer to help someone else - Help someone who has invited you - etc.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
What's the easiest way to set up an FTP site on a machine? I have a Windows 7 box where I store all my uhhh "stuff" and there are times few and far between when I need to get something off those directories (Like a perfectly legal movie downloaded to it). What's the go-to software for that nowadays? As sad as it is, I've been using Teamviewer to log in, grab the perfectly legal file and then drag it to dropbox, then downloading from there.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Medullah posted:

What's the easiest way to set up an FTP site on a machine? I have a Windows 7 box where I store all my uhhh "stuff" and there are times few and far between when I need to get something off those directories (Like a perfectly legal movie downloaded to it). What's the go-to software for that nowadays? As sad as it is, I've been using Teamviewer to log in, grab the perfectly legal file and then drag it to dropbox, then downloading from there.

FileZilla is still the best free FTP server

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Kalenden posted:

There's a thread somewhere on the forums. There's also https://ninite.com/ which is great for installing and updating apps.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Huh? It's still there, but the search term is a little different. I have to search for invite rather than remote assistance.

Start - Search - Invite someone to connect to your PC and help you, or offer to help someone else - Help someone who has invited you - etc.

Easy Connect is deprecated - they changed something in Win8's IPv6 address translation which broke it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Gotcha. I've always used invitation files, which seems to still work.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

ufarn posted:

Any good alternative to IrfanView for viewing GIFs and images in general?

I use FastStone Image Viewer, and have managed to get it to very closely match early ACDSee in operation, which is my gold standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Gromit posted:

I use FastStone Image Viewer, and have managed to get it to very closely match early ACDSee in operation, which is my gold standard.
Thanks. ACDSee had great performance, but it has one of the clunkiest interfaces I've ever seen on Windows.

FastStone looks promising.