Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Bobo the Red posted:

Yeah, the Mountain has suffered a bit from being off camera a lot. Probably works better in a book format to have a character just be talked about. That's certainly why they had that stupid rear end scene: to reintroduce the character (with new actor) and making him seem "scary". Except it looked loving stupid.

I don't think so. There's barely reason to believe it happened at all. Littlefinger would be unlikely to source his poisons that way, since it adds a layer of risk.

Pycelle probably didn't help Littlefinger though. He seems to be pretty pro-Lannister (he helped keep the truth from coming out).

I just rewatched all of Tywins scenes from S1-4 on youtube and I totally missed tall, skinny lanky-rear end Mountain. Holy gently caress that was some piss-poor casting :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Essentially, if you see someone in the thread "speculating" by dropping a spoiler of what actually happens (which is something that has happened in the past), you should report them or PM a mod so they can face the king's justice, and leave the thread out of it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

No More Heroes posted:

I just rewatched all of Tywins scenes from S1-4 on youtube and I totally missed tall, skinny lanky-rear end Mountain. Holy gently caress that was some piss-poor casting :cripes:

The first one cast really was ideal. I really can't understand why they didn't bring him back - he was thrilled to be cast.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I was spoiled for Joffrey's death and the Red Wedding and the 'speculation' when they were coming up was really obnoxious. "Oh that Walder Frey is a bad one to cross!" And the freeze frames of Sansa's necklace about four minutes after Joff died.

Red posted:

The first one cast really was ideal. I really can't understand why they didn't bring him back - he was thrilled to be cast.

So thrilled that he left to do the Hobbit (where he was replaced by a cgi orc). Someone in these threads said that he wanted the GoT people to work around his Hobbit schedule and they told him to gently caress off and recast him.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I've had a pretty big event for the season spoiled, ands its really obvious there are a large number of posters who know and are trying to drop subtle hints that are really obvious if you know what's going to happen.

gently caress all book readers, basically.

Hey now, some of us are nice people who don't do stupid poo poo like that. I'm a good noodle. :(

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

marktheando posted:

So thrilled that he left to do the Hobbit (where he was replaced by a cgi orc). Someone in these threads said that he wanted the GoT people to work around his Hobbit schedule and they told him to gently caress off and recast him.

The only thing I've ever seen that's more than speculation is the actor's own blog: http://www.conanstevens.com/acting-movies-tv-film/tall-actor-blog/game-of-thrones-season-02.html

quote:

I had a great time working on GoT season 01 and the response from viewers to my character and portrayal seemed very positive. I was looking forward to being able to reprise the role for season 02, but it seems like HBO decided to go in a different direction for the 2nd season and I will not be playing Ser Gregor this time around which is a pity.

Of course, if I were asked to appear in season 03 I would be very excited to do so.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
That icelandic dude looks like a giant baby on roids.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I dont know what spoilering-through-speculation incidents are being referred to but to play devil's advocate is it not possible people guessed the events?

Last season, I suspected Robb might die because he was doing <insert dumb thing> after <insert dumb thing> but i wasnt necessarily expecting it to be at the wedding. I guess depending on the level of detail in the speculation it would be obvious..

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

thathonkey posted:

I dont know what spoilering-through-speculation incidents are being referred to but to play devil's advocate is it not possible people guessed the events?

Last season, I suspected Robb might die because he was doing <insert dumb thing> after <insert dumb thing> but i wasnt necessarily expecting it to be at the wedding. I guess depending on the level of detail in the speculation it would be obvious..

I also suspected Robb would die. Not because I'm so smart, but because they literally had a scene where his wife tells him she's pregnant and they celebrate how perfectly happy they are despite millions of enemies on all sides, and this is Game of Thrones where happiness goes to die. Then assholes from this thread sent me PM's telling me to gently caress myself and die. It's possible for people to make inferences about plot events without having read the books. This isn't a complex Swiss watch of a series.

It was not a complex puzzle to sort out that Oberyn and the Mountain were going to fight, either. Oberyn's primary motivations are pansexual orgies and killing the Mountain. And they recast the Mountain this season with a very physical actor, and the episode preview following Tyrion's request for a "trial by combat" prominently featured the new actor. Where else was that going to go?

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
You could also read the name of the episode to figure it out :v:

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

marktheando posted:

Someone in these threads said that he wanted the GoT people to work around his Hobbit schedule and they told him to gently caress off and recast him.

Well, that's their bad then, because neither one they've hired since has looked as good. Even if the Mountain Vol. 1 was a colossal dick, the character has been in like 4 scenes since season one, I'm sure they could deal with it.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Not a book reader haven't been spoiled about the outcome of the battle, but I'm going to be very happy if, after all this complaining about the Mountain's recast, he only shows up in armor next episode and dies :allears:

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
I can't tell if being played by 3 different dudes means Mountain is more likely or less likely to die

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Xealot posted:

Oberyn's primary motivations are pansexual orgies and killing the Mountain.

"I'm here to bone hookers and kill The Mountain. And, amazingly, I'm all out of hookers."

The Mountain does seem to have been more of a symbolic menace than an actual character, it's true. Contrast this to the Bolton bastard whose character has been drawn to the most minute detail. Even Locke got more characterization in a few short scenes.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I think the idea is that the Mountain is more of a brute than really someone who really has depth in a good or bad way. He loves to kill and he's good at killing. He's someone you don't want to pillage your village if your a peasant, and don't want to fight if you're a peasant. Basically the one thing you DO want is him to fight for you if you need a fighter. He's not really a paragon of conversation or intellect, so mostly you just hear of the destruction he leaves in his wake.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

an skeleton posted:

I think the idea is that the Mountain is more of a brute than really someone who really has depth in a good or bad way. He loves to kill and he's good at killing. He's someone you don't want to pillage your village if your a peasant, and don't want to fight if you're a peasant. Basically the one thing you DO want is him to fight for you if you need a fighter. He's not really a paragon of conversation or intellect, so mostly you just hear of the destruction he leaves in his wake.

Yeah he seems like more a force of nature than anything else.

Edit: Also, Oberyn should really get together with Arya. He could teach her how you can still get some fun out of life while continuing to cross people off your List.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Xealot posted:

I also suspected Robb would die. Not because I'm so smart, but because they literally had a scene where his wife tells him she's pregnant and they celebrate how perfectly happy they are despite millions of enemies on all sides, and this is Game of Thrones where happiness goes to die. Then assholes from this thread sent me PM's telling me to gently caress myself and die. It's possible for people to make inferences about plot events without having read the books. This isn't a complex Swiss watch of a series.

It was not a complex puzzle to sort out that Oberyn and the Mountain were going to fight, either. Oberyn's primary motivations are pansexual orgies and killing the Mountain. And they recast the Mountain this season with a very physical actor, and the episode preview following Tyrion's request for a "trial by combat" prominently featured the new actor. Where else was that going to go?

Seriously every scene Oberyn's in he's all 'Boy howdy I sure would like some revenge.' What else would he be here for?

As to the outcome, I'm pretty sure Tyrion has the strongest plot armor after Arya, but.... I dunno.

If Oberyn wins, He and Dorne stay politically aligned with the Lannisters. Tyrion is probably disowned, leaving Casterly Rock without an heir. Cersei probably does something crazy.

If Oberyn loses, Dorne pulls away as an ally and the Lannisters are screwed right there, correct? Tyrion is killed or disowned, Cersei probably doesn't do something crazy, maybe Jaime leaves King's Landing with Tyrion and we get another roaming duo. Tywin made a huge miscalculation thinking he could use Tyrion to flip Jaime.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Do you guys think Mance will get to the wall anytime soon?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Hedrigall posted:

I have to imagine marching this army of his is worse than herding cats. At least cats don't often get pissed off, murder, and eat each other.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mance is arriving at the speed of plot. The only way I can see the Wall not falling is if the white walkers get in the way.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Mance is arriving at the speed of plot. The only way I can see the Wall not falling is if the white walkers get in the way.

Mance will show up just north of the Wall in the finale, his army eating Slim Jims and slurping giant Coke Slushies.

TORMUND: "Where the gently caress were you guys?"

MANCE: "7-Eleven on Pico. You didn't text; what's up?"

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

It takes me hours to defrost my freezer and the ice is only an inch thick. The Wall is like a dozen foot wide and 700 foot tall. It would take Mance months to do any significant damage, and even then, the Wall repairs itself constantly.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
If you were building a wall out of magic, why would you only use ice. Why wouldn't there be some rock, or loving solid iron in there towards the bottom?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

It takes me hours to defrost my freezer and the ice is only an inch thick. The Wall is like a dozen foot wide and 700 foot tall. It would take Mance months to do any significant damage, and even then, the Wall repairs itself constantly.

Yeah well first he will have to actually appear, let's not start counting the chickens.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
Mance is moving an entire people not just soldiers. Mothers, children, infants, cannibals, herds of animals. It's probably pretty hard to maintain a decent pace and keep all that together.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Tenebrais posted:

Given Littlefinger's sigil is a mockingbird, I'd be very surprised if the wandering accent wasn't intentional.
This, a hundred times over. I'm kind of amazed that people are criticizing this actor for having an unreliable accent while he's giving a speech to Sansa about letting go of her roots. Littlefinger is a character who draws strength from flexibility; he and Varys have remained on the small council across the rules of a handful of different kings and families because they're opportunists who avoid permanent allegiances to a given family or region. Littlefinger has a right to be hung up over the fact that Cat got roped into the family/region game and died because of it, and I think a big part of him kidnapping Sansa is because he knew she would die from it as well. Starks are bad at playing the game and thus are easy scapegoats, and with Winterfell destroyed the the north handed over to the Freys, Sansa doesn't hold a lot of value as a political prisoner.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
This doesn't really explain why all the accents on the rest of the show are so hosed up and ridiculous.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
She's the rightful heir to Winterfell. I don't really understand how Roose Bolton could be given dominion over land on the one hand, and Tywin talking about Sansa's children inheriting Winterfel with Tyrion being Regent until that happens.

Which is it? Am I mixing up timelines?

Mide
Jun 2, 2009
I am a show only person and I could even see the ridiculous amount of foreshadow that OB and the mountain were going to fight. Half of OB's dialogue in every episode he is in is about how much he wants to fight the mountain. Of course knowing that the mountain was recasted and we hadn't seen him yet had helped a bit too.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Shadow posted:

She's the rightful heir to Winterfell. I don't really understand how Roose Bolton could be given dominion over land on the one hand, and Tywin talking about Sansa's children inheriting Winterfel with Tyrion being Regent until that happens.

Goddam it. Wrong thread.

So sorry.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 23, 2014

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Let's pretend this didn't happen. I already forgot.

Shadow fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 23, 2014

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I get that the world north of the wall is pretty big but 100,000 dudes not encountering the shambling zombie horde at the end of S2 is ruining my immersion.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

No More Heroes posted:

I get that the world north of the wall is pretty big but 100,000 dudes not encountering the shambling zombie horde at the end of S2 is ruining my immersion.

Maybe they're letting Mance's army knock the wall down first.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Edited my last post. So loving sorry

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Shadow posted:

For one, the king can revoke a title just as easily as he grants it (and if you don't like it, it's fair game to kill you). MundoThe king does as he pleases.

Also, they only named Bolton Warden of the North which means he's responsible for protecting the realm against internal and external threats to the north. They did not give him the title "Lord of Winterfell" which is considered the de facto seat of the north. That seat, by rights, still belongs to Sansa as the eldest living Stark (since all male inherents are believed dead) and would be passed to her first male child.

By not giving him Winterfell, it's unclear whether or not by the King's laws all houses in the north are expected to swear fealty to Bolton or simply end their rebellion by declaring their fealty to Tommen.

So, your folly/mix up is that you assume Warden of the North equates to dominion over the land when it doesn't necessarily (and each house in the north is free to tell Bolton to go gently caress himself if he tries). However, as long as said houses haven't sworn fealty to Tommen, it is Bolton's duty to restore the King's peace (by force if necessary).

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Hedrigall posted:

Jon Snow said in the last episode that he estimated Mance would arrive at the Wall by the next full moon. He just needs a little extra time to gather up all that kindling to light the biggest fire the North has ever seen or something.

Edit: As for speculation spoilers, just don't dwell on any speculation too much. I've seen plenty of speculation that I know is way off base, and yeah a couple that hit close to home. But it's not like every single poster's theory is a book reader's spoiler in disguise; hints and foreshadowing in the show can mean an Unsullied will actually stumble upon the truth ahead of time every now and then.

Back in I think season 2, Dolash kept hitting the nail on the head and in the spoiler thread we were pissed off that a book reader was being so loving overt in ruining the show. Then we later learned he really hadn't read the books (at that point) and only went on to read them after people kept calling him out for being a book reader. :v:

Ballz fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 23, 2014

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

Shadow posted:

Sorry, when was it explained Tywin planned to gently caress Bolton over? Also, who had promised to send Arya? Doesn't everyone but a select few think she's dead?

Edit that quote out of your post please

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

agarjogger posted:

If you were building a wall out of magic, why would you only use ice. Why wouldn't there be some rock, or loving solid iron in there towards the bottom?

The wall is part ice, part magic

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

agarjogger posted:

Magic ice is stronger than rock, of course; cf. Frozen (2013)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Great Enoch posted:

Most brits are so smug in their sense of superiority they can't really conceive of other white people calling them racial slurs even when it happens to their face.

It's just weird because saying 'limey' and 'redcoats' isn't exactly insulting. It's like going 'Haha! Look at you dumbasses with your lack of scurvy.'

• Locked thread