Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is anyone selling audiophile batteries yet? I mean those aren't even Duracell Procell just the regular scrub ones what the gently caress is that guy thinking?

Duracell Procells are just regular Duracells with different printing. Also cheaper.

Take off Procell batteries and wrap them in foil stickers unobtanium sheilding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Wrap batteries in techflex and gold plate the terminals.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Neurophonic posted:

Today I was thanked by no less than six people after being forced to speak up at a seminar to point out that a well respected audio industry figure fundamentally misunderstood digital audio. He was trying to A-B test a cheap USB cable against a ridiculously expensive one to show how much warmer and more detailed the expensive one was.

Whilst telling people which was which.

On a PA system, which was purple. The cable was purple too.

By unplugging one and plugging the other in whilst a tune was playing continuously. Of course he was using Fidelia. And a £4000 soundcard. And mentioned skin effect as a potential cause.

On the whole it was good but you could blatantly tell that he drank the audiophile kool aid.

Purple PA would be Funktion 1 which means your dude would be Tony Andrews? Never trust a dude with a loving rat tail...

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

post the audio sperg reactions to apple buying beats itt

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cremnob posted:

I don't see why there would be, both brands are considered mass market junk by audiophiles.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

qirex posted:

I don't see why there would be, both brands are considered mass market junk by audiophiles.

Apple should buy McIntosh.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fun fact: Apple originally had to license "macintosh" from McIntosh but they bought the trademark in the '90s. I don't think that's too far out of the realm of possibility, but B&W seems like a better fit for Apple. A lot of high-end brands are owned by random holding companies right now, Naim/Focal just got sold:

quote:

F&N's management team, led by CEO Christophe Sicaud, invested alongside the GP consortium. Naxicap has acquired a majority stake in the company.
The company, which was formed through the 2011 merger of Focal-JMLab and Naim Audio, will be renamed Vervent Audio Group following the secondary buyout. After the merger the two companies remained as independent brands under the Focal & Co holding company.
CM-CIC (then CIC Banque de Vizille) acquired a 20% stake in Focal in 2000, according to unquote" data. In February 2008, the firm increased its stake to 48% in a deal that saw Focal founder Mahul's stake decrease from 75% to 47%.
At the time, management retained the remaining 5% shareholding in the company. LCL, Lyonnaise de Banque and Banque Populaire Loire & Lyonnais provided a senior debt package of €9.5m for the deal.
a $150k Naim/Audio Physic demo system is still the best sounding one I've ever heard in my life

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

cremnob posted:

Has this actually been verified?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Part irony here, considering that iTunes brought AAC, ReplayGain and lately supposedly properly mastered versions, that aren't compressed to poo poo (i.e. dynamic range), to the masses, just to ruin these small efforts with lovely Beats headphones. If the buyout is true, that is.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I think they want Beats for the music subscription service, but the headphones seem popular and money is money.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah but the Beats subscription service is doing really horribly, and doesn't have that much in the way of selection and label contracts compared to other more popular subscription services.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

eggsovereasy posted:

I think they want Beats for the music subscription service, but the headphones seem popular and money is money.

Install Windows posted:

Yeah but the Beats subscription service is doing really horribly, and doesn't have that much in the way of selection and label contracts compared to other more popular subscription services.

I think it's mostly that Beats have all done all the legwork with music sub service, Apple has the library, and Beats is small enough to get bought out instead of having to develop it in house. Apple is desperately lacking an on-demand streaming service; right now their music dept. probably wants to close the gap between them and services like Google Music and Spotify.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Is it a weird thing that I quite like having actual copies of music I like as opposed to just streaming it all? I just have this mild loathing of streaming ever since someone tried to entertain a houseparty by using a non-premium version of Spotify complete with adverts. It just boils my piss for some reason. If you like the music why wouldn't you have a copy, even if it was just a 320? Seems stupid to me, like a slacker's version of entertaining people.

When people come over to my place for a party I have hand selected playlists ready to go because it's great fun. Spotify just seems like a non participating way to listen to music, passive listening.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apple has a huge foothold in the online music business, and resources to boot. I don't see why they'd need to buy Beats for the streaming stuff. They can easily realize that on their own.

If at all, they'd be buying Spotify instead. I don't think they're valued that high.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

88h88 posted:

Is it a weird thing that I quite like having actual copies of music I like as opposed to just streaming it all? I just have this mild loathing of streaming ever since someone tried to entertain a houseparty by using a non-premium version of Spotify complete with adverts. It just boils my piss for some reason. If you like the music why wouldn't you have a copy, even if it was just a 320? Seems stupid to me, like a slacker's version of entertaining people.

When people come over to my place for a party I have hand selected playlists ready to go because it's great fun. Spotify just seems like a non participating way to listen to music, passive listening.

You can create playlists on streaming services, too.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Spotify is a giant hole that their investors keep throwing money into [over $200 million to date], my understanding is that Pandora is the only streaming service that's even close to profitable and they're one more license fee bump away from insolvency.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

88h88 posted:

I feel the opposite. It's great when you've got friends round, listening to music, someone says 'oh have you heard...' and you can just put it straight on. I literally haven't bought or download any music since getting into Spotify.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apple has a huge foothold in the online music business, and resources to boot. I don't see why they'd need to buy Beats for the streaming stuff. They can easily realize that on their own.

If at all, they'd be buying Spotify instead. I don't think they're valued that high.

Maybe because a when Beats negotiated a record deal they got a cheaper price since they don't have Apple's deep pockets? Apple can benefit from that.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

88h88 posted:

I pay my sub for Google play and it synced my current music with their library. I and other customers look at the annual cost ($120) as how much would be spent on albums in the first place.

My mothers both just last month switched over and now have already saved $40 over their previous habits with the iTunes store; they're big pop music fans and used to buy top album releases on iTunes, at $10 a pop, at two or three times a month on average so when they saved 4 albums to their phones and computers for no charge extra, I'm counting that as a savings.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I borrow interesting records from my city's library and rip them as FLAC. I'm pretty sure that the audio quality is same as spotify premium's, but they FEEL better oh god im the audiophile

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Wasabi the J posted:

I pay my sub for Google play and it synced my current music with their library. I and other customers look at the annual cost ($120) as how much would be spent on albums in the first place.

My mothers both just last month switched over and now have already saved $40 over their previous habits with the iTunes store; they're big pop music fans and used to buy top album releases on iTunes, at $10 a pop, at two or three times a month on average so when they saved 4 albums to their phones and computers for no charge extra, I'm counting that as a savings.
The only problem with these services is that eventually they will stop being offered or you will change to a nonsupported device and loose all your music. Streaming is convenient and all but you lose ownership which is a huge negative.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Sorbus posted:

I borrow interesting records from my city's library and rip them as FLAC. I'm pretty sure that the audio quality is same as spotify premium's, but they FEEL better oh god im the audiophile

I thought everybody did this, although I use Apple Lossless.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
It's best to rip CD's as 16bit 44.1kHz PCM wave files.

as this is the bit depth and sample rate of audio compact disc's

Anything more is extra file size for no gains, anything less is a degradation to the format.

Check it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_disc#Audio_CD

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Brinner posted:

It's best to rip CD's as 16bit 44.1kHz PCM wave files.

as this is the bit depth and sample rate of audio compact disc's

Anything more is extra file size for no gains, anything less is a degradation to the format.

Check it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_disc#Audio_CD

And then you immediately compress it to a lossless format, such as FLAC, APE, SHN, ALAC or whatever.

Because gently caress wasting space on uncompressed PCM files.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Saw this in a hifi magazine. What the gently caress.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I was under the impression that twisted pair cabling was used to get rid of the kinda poo poo that audiophiles are always banging on about that wrecks their soundstages and such...

quote:

...is a type of wiring in which two conductors of a single circuit are twisted together for the purposes ofcanceling out electromagnetic interference (EMI) from external sources; for instance, electromagnetic radiation from unshielded twisted pair (UTP) cables, and crosstalk between neighboring pairs.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Sorbus posted:

What's the audiophile logic for directional cables?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Terminal Entropy posted:

What's the audiophile logic for directional cables?

Pretty much every answer is "it sounds better, can't you hear the difference?"

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

How many paths are there in a cable that aren't critical signal paths? Micropolishing as opposed to... macropolishing?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

88h88 posted:

I was under the impression that twisted pair cabling was used to get rid of the kinda poo poo that audiophiles are always banging on about that wrecks their soundstages and such...

The ad says it's twisted pair and then talks about how they're not twisted pair in the next breath.

Bravo to them if they manage to sell some.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
They say it's soldered instead of crimped -- do they even make solderable RJ-45s?

I kind of get where the audiophiles come from with soldered connectors, they seem like a good idea compared to that flimsy crimp, until the cable snaps right above the solder joint.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

AlexDeGruven posted:

The ad says it's twisted pair and then talks about how they're not twisted pair in the next breath.

Bravo to them if they manage to sell some.

News, not an ad. I guess in hifi mags the two are basically the same thing.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

longview posted:

They say it's soldered instead of crimped -- do they even make solderable RJ-45s?

I kind of get where the audiophiles come from with soldered connectors, they seem like a good idea compared to that flimsy crimp, until the cable snaps right above the solder joint.

Pretty sure some of the Neutrik pro grade ones are solderable

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Sorbus posted:

From their site re: XLR cables:

"The performance this cable will let your system produce will almost certainly border on profound and you’ll hear just how musical your system really is. In our experience we have had to totally rethink the performance of components we have used Tuned ARAY with, but it’s the music that really astounds"

Being a copywriter for one of these sites must be amazing.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Qwijib0 posted:

Being a copywriter for one of these sites must be amazing.

They just load them up on LSD and give a list of words that have to go in the write ups.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

From GZ rather than an audiophile forum, but is there really any difference when it comes to audio stupidity?

Thread was someone comparing two different modules that did the same thing, without marking which was which. One the multi $thousand Lynx Aurora, the other is the Behringer ADA8000 (which I'd googled as I just picked one up).

Most people ascertained any difference between the two was barely noticeable and not worth mentioning. Except

quote:

A had much greater apparent volume, punch, clarity etc. and that typically hyped aurora high. but, fwiw, listened to mp3s on laptop speakers.

(WAVs were included in the first post. Also he was wrong, but so were many others).

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 21, 2014

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's internet radio but with blue VU meters!!!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Gotta admit, a rack full of McIntosh gear would look pretty good in my theater room.

Whoa! There's an idea. A fake rack front, with chrome and dials and functioning meters that work off a simple circuit from your power bar measuring amperage draw, and another measuring volume per channel etc. Behind it is all your cheap pro audio gear and a huge tangle of power cords, hdmi and cat6.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

jonathan posted:

Gotta admit, a rack full of McIntosh gear would look pretty good in my theater room.

Whoa! There's an idea. A fake rack front, with chrome and dials and functioning meters that work off a simple circuit from your power bar measuring amperage draw, and another measuring volume per channel etc. Behind it is all your cheap pro audio gear and a huge tangle of power cords, hdmi and cat6.

even better, just wrap a home-theater-in-a-box receiver in a whole buncha shielding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
I am going to pay someone to measure the room response in my campervan :negative: