Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

FMguru posted:

I got the sense that they wanted to make a pirate game, saw how straight-historical RPGs traditionally did in the marketplace, cast around for a gamer-friendly "hook", and settled on applying a thin patina of furry to their game.

theironjef posted:

Huh, the book has a sidebar where the author talks about purchasing the old license for Furry Bandits.

Both games are by the same authors, or at least have credits all over the web for being the authors of both books.

But - I don't think one has to assume fursploitation. After all, this is a hobby practically founded on lack of genre awareness (hey, D&D). Writers misunderstanding the genre they're writing for (and are avowed fans of) is such a perennial aspect of this hobby that I'm not sure you have to attribute malfeasance to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

:siren: Mark Rein·Hagen's Exile :siren:

•Part Three: The Great Splats Syndics•

It should probably go without saying that a late 90's game being developed by White Wolf staffers divides the important players of the setting into high school cliques character classes specific political groups with their own goals and special stats and powers. Why should Exile be any different? While the HTML draft has a lot more setting information presented before this, I'm starting with the Syndics here. It's probably more interesting than some of the rest, and it helps give a good idea of the sort of themes we'll be looking at here. The three we'll cover here are the exotics, basically genetically engineered or alien subraces, while the rest we'll get into later are there careers for people who don't have scrambled DNA. They're all considered "Syndics" in character generation though.

•Androgynes•

HTML Draft posted:

We used to see the beautiful people of the Androgyne on Diadar, lounging in the gardens, performing on the spool dramas, officiating at the Ceremonies. They were the creatures of artifice and desire, genetically engineered for elegance and sensitivity -- arguably, the most wondrous of the Exotic species. Their very faces entranced us, disturbed our sleep with strange, hot dreams. More beautiful, more desirable than human.
Short version: they're the Toreador, but genetically engineered to intersex or sexless. They originated as a sex slave race for the elite in Diadar society and were only liberated a few centuries ago. They soon joined mainstream society, and focused heavily on charisma, manipulation, and appearance the social fields, and "they have excelled, earning renown as arbitrators, diplomats and performers."

PDF draft posted:

Apart from their roles as mediators; a talent that can possibly be attributed to their exceptional communication skills and obvious physical beauty, the Androgyne spend much of their energy in artistic pursuits. As objects of beauty themselves, they hold art in all its forms in high regard. The most famous media stars, models and actors have all been Androgyne.
Naturally, as ~beautiful socialites~ they're also a bunch of treacherous backstabbers and spies, but aside from a bit of distrust nobody really minds because they make such beautiful works of at. Oh yeah, they also have limited shapechanging and addictive pheromones. :stonk:

PDF draft posted:

Anyone who has had close contact with Androgyne can attest to their natural allure. As part of their physiology, they produce a wide array of complex pheromones that they use to carefully manipulate the emotional states of those around them as well as accentuate the reactions their appearance engenders in others. There has been much evidence to support the theory that their pheromones possess an addictive quality. The more you time you spend with an Androgyne, the more time you wish to spend with them. They are doppelgangers of a sort, yet their shape-shifting abilities are limited to sexual characteristics and minor appearance changes. They can intuitively and subtly alter their appearance to more closely resemble their target's conception of the perfect mate. This often leads to almost sacred bonding between mates.
I've mentioned I find it rather hilarious that this setting was eventually twisted into a collectible action figure game aimed at kids, right? :v: Well. Moving on...

•Sark Saron•
Only mentioned in the PDF, so maybe excised in the later setting drafts? In any case,

PDF Draft posted:

On the distant world of Sarkon, the Sark'Saron were born, the result of a genetic experiment to create the perfect soldier. The Sark'Saron are the oldest of the exotics, their birth lying far back in the dim reaches of perhaps the second aeon. No records are known to exist that detail the earliest creation and implementation of the Sark'Saron, but the evidence of their origins can be found in their DNA: they are a genetic construct, an uplifted race derived from some long lost reptilian species. Who created them and how they were made remains a mystery.
Uplifted lizard-people. They're big and strong and work in mercenary groups. They're driven by the "need to survive", and it's mention they've survived multiple genocide attempts in the past through sheer stubbornness. They also have a drive for self-sacrifice towards their family and kin that "borders on martyrdom". They also have little influence in or interest in politics, and have a "strong devour the weak" sort of ethic, as a passive demeanor or injury can awaken their predatory instincts. But they have earned the respect of even rabid anti-exotics due to being violent and scary their renowned ferocity.

Overall, a pretty :effort: race.

•Starborn (Reisir)•

PDF Draft posted:

There are few Exotic races within the Hegemony that elicit as much speculation and wonder, as the Reisir: the Starborn. Possibly the natural evolutionary outcome of humanity's expansion into the stars, they have become especially suited to an extra-planetary existence. Starborn musculature is light, yet highly flexible. Their skeletal structure has been replaced with cartilaginous tissues but, they are considerably more durable than their slight frames would suggest. They are so well adapted to the rigors of space that they are capable of enduring exposure to hard vacuum for up to ten minutes with their reflective skins being temperature withholding and radiation resistant. They have hairless, smooth skinned bodies with long limbs and large eyes, resembling in many ways pearlescent skinned children.
They've evolved/been genetically engineered to handle space and low gravity pretty well. This works out good for them considering most of the setting takes place in space and all, so they have access to large amounts of orbital mining and other lucrative enterprises that give them wealth and influence in excess of their small numbers. While they handle space well, they need gravity harnesses and ulsters to handle normal planetary gravity. They have low fertility and a weak immune system, and often live nomadic lifestyles.

Yeah, there's some overlap with Mass Effect's Quarians there, but there's still a few differences. For one thing, everyone in the setting gets fetishwear space gimpsuits they almost never take off! :downs:

Anyway, they're initially descended from a single lineage and tend to consider each other family, and have a procedure that can change most human races into Starborn if you wanted to be a pearl-skinned space kid. For some reason they also have wide rage of speech, and...

PDF draft posted:

Their names are long intricate songs of ancestry and heraldry, combining their ultra and sub-sonic speech with coruscating colour patters radiated from the sacs of bioluminescent organelles located on either side of their head.
... they're probably really weird to talk to. They also have "peerless tactical skills", as demonstrated when the alien Bak’Sakusa species attempted to wipe them out, which went rather poorly for them. The Reisir seem to hold no grudge for it, but the Bak’Sakusa definitely do.

Next time: More Syndics! Do you want a job?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Both games are by the same authors, or at least have credits all over the web for being the authors of both books.

But - I don't think one has to assume fursploitation. After all, this is a hobby practically founded on lack of genre awareness (hey, D&D). Writers misunderstanding the genre they're writing for (and are avowed fans of) is such a perennial aspect of this hobby that I'm not sure you have to attribute malfeasance to it.

FMguru posted:

I got the sense that they wanted to make a pirate game, saw how straight-historical RPGs traditionally did in the marketplace, cast around for a gamer-friendly "hook", and settled on applying a thin patina of furry to their game.
Yeah, if anything, I'd assume the opposite--they liked furries, no one had done a furry pirates game yet, engage!

In my limited experience (I played Jadeclaw a few times) most furry gamers just want to play spacemans, but furries, or dungeonmans, but furries, etc. They aren't interested in the literary science fictional route of asking what happens in a society that has a multitude of sentient species, but some are technically predators and only the lions can be king of Furtopia.

My friend bought and ran Jadeclaw just because the idea of "What if your wuxia mans was a wuxia tiger mans?" was appealing and the system seemed novel. He was actually kind of mortified when he realized that the book used "furry" as an all-encompassing pronoun.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, if anything, I'd assume the opposite--they liked furries, no one had done a furry pirates game yet, engage!

In my limited experience (I played Jadeclaw a few times) most furry gamers just want to play spacemans, but furries, or dungeonmans, but furries, etc. They aren't interested in the literary science fictional route of asking what happens in a society that has a multitude of sentient species, but some are technically predators and only the lions can be king of Furtopia.

My friend bought and ran Jadeclaw just because the idea of "What if your wuxia mans was a wuxia tiger mans?" was appealing and the system seemed novel. He was actually kind of mortified when he realized that the book used "furry" as an all-encompassing pronoun.

Honestly I would figure as much as well, and from that determine that most furry gamers are just playing Pathfinder and Fate and so on, except their characters are fursonas. That's why I was expecting more from Furry Pirates, because I figured this was the furry game for furries that want their fur situation to matter more.

Like, imagine if it was called "Gay Pirates" and had a picture of the SS Manhandler on the cover, and the subtitle was "Gay Adventures in the Swashbuckling Age of Gay Piracy." Well I'm bi myself, and a lot of the characters I play in games are gay. But if I was going to be playing a game called "Gay Pirates" I'd want to get special powers for being a bear as opposed to an otter, because holy crap, it's the whole point of the game! Just like in Furry Pirates, where I would want special powers for being a bear, as opposed to an otter.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

It just seems that if they were really into furries, they would have included some mechanical or fluff support for furries, because otherwise what's the point?

ARB mentioned D&D as not hewing particularly close to its source genre, but it did at least have, y'know, rules for wizards and dragons and magic swords and elves and poo poo.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Side note: I noticed Wikipedia categorizes Palladium's After the Bomb as part of "furry fandom". :allears:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Is "wine and godhead" tramshumanism really much of a thing in gaming, though? Eclipse Phase is very much concerned with horror and the parts of its setting that aren't post-scarcity, Shock is, I suppose, more about getting along in an egalitarian society. I can't think of any games off the top of my head that concern themselves with epic-scale transhumanism where the technology is so advanced that it's indistinguishable from magic, like the Dancers at the End of Time, Lord of Light, or Jodorowsky's work. (There's a Metabarons roleplaying game, but you don't play as the Metabarons.)

I only skimmed the alpha document of Exile, but I got the impression that the PCs were booted out of a godlike science fantasy paradise, but that unlike the protagonists of an Eclipse Phase game, they're very much free to explore the vast reaches of space relying on their Artifex to automagically nanofabricate what they need.

I like JG Timbrook a lot, by the way. The official clan illustrations that replaced his in the V20 book are awful.
It's not something that comes up often in RPGs, no. Not even that often in fantasy gaming, except for the occasionally explicitly evil super-powerful empire thing that the PCs are allied against rather than refugees from. I was actually really, really annoyed when Exile never panned out, since I've always thought sci-fi gaming needed to pull more from Foundation than from Star Wars, and White Wolf's Trinity was ultimately a far more conservative, "safer", and frankly less interesting game. Honestly if it was worked on in the early naughts rather than the late 90's it might have fared a bit better, both for the game industry being in a different place but also by being able to better leverage its heavy web presence to build a fandom. But, well, so it goes.

theironjef posted:

Like, imagine if it was called "Gay Pirates" and had a picture of the SS Manhandler on the cover, and the subtitle was "Gay Adventures in the Swashbuckling Age of Gay Piracy." Well I'm bi myself, and a lot of the characters I play in games are gay. But if I was going to be playing a game called "Gay Pirates" I'd want to get special powers for being a bear as opposed to an otter, because holy crap, it's the whole point of the game! Just like in Furry Pirates, where I would want special powers for being a bear, as opposed to an otter.
This is the best analogy.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 22, 2014

Grnegsnspm
Oct 20, 2003

This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarian 2: Electric Boogaloo

theironjef posted:

Sure. Your stats range from 6 to -6, with lower numbers being better.

I just need to hop in here and point out that it is, in fact, the exact opposite and Jef is actually a big dumb idiot that smells like a butt and looks like a butt and is probably a butt.

Jesus, man, it's like you don't even care enough to memorize the stupid rules of the bullshit games we review.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I think the main thing is that there's a difference between a game having animal people in it and being defined as 'furry'. But if you've got dog-people and bear-people and cat-people and they're all exactly the same as humans odds are you screwed up somewhere in your game design process.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Grnegsnspm posted:

I just need to hop in here and point out that it is, in fact, the exact opposite and Jef is actually a big dumb idiot that smells like a butt and looks like a butt and is probably a butt.

Jesus, man, it's like you don't even care enough to memorize the stupid rules of the bullshit games we review.

Was it higher numbers better? I could have sworn it was lower. Whatever, it perversely doesn't actually affect the math at all.

Also I only smell like a butt because I am a butt. I never chose to be a butt or not. Words hurt, man.

Grnegsnspm
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, the whole point of the positive or negative value was adding together the two things (So a +2 stat and a -4 modifier skill to get a -2 check) and then taking the absolute value of that and then rolling that value plus 3 and then taking either the best 3 rolled if value was positive or worst 3 rolled if it was negative. That system was way more complicated than it needed to be.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kurieg posted:

But if you've got dog-people and bear-people and cat-people and they're all exactly the same as humans odds are you screwed up somewhere in your game design process.

Yeah, I wouldn't argue that at all, it's pretty :effort:. I just wouldn't presume the authors were necessarily trying to crank out a book to just try and squeeze furs of their hard-furned furbucks.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Really, I'd be more willing to assume they're just bad game designers rather than having some exploitative intent, yeah. Occam's razor, etc. :geno:

Grnegsnspm
Oct 20, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't argue that at all, it's pretty :effort:. I just wouldn't presume the authors were necessarily trying to crank out a book to just try and squeeze furs of their hard-furned furbucks.

Furbucks made me think it would be a furry themed Starbucks. Which made me look up if someone had already done that. Which led me to find that "furbucks" was the currency in a Furby based video game. Which made me wonder if anyone made a Furby RPG. Which of course someone has. This is the rabbit hole of the internet.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The end result, regardless of their intent, is a book that's poisonously boring to read and doesn't seem like it'd be a lot of fun to play. You'd be better served playing any other game and then just reading a nice book about historical pirates later.

I think the problem they were going to run into is that neither of their premises (pirates, furries that don't act animal-y) are things that you can't easily get out of lots of other games. D&D would make for a great game of Furry Pirates. Just reskin your race as a furry, set the game on a pirate ship, and you're all set. Then you also don't have to deal with their obtuse stats and skills and easily gamed resolution mechanics. The title sounds like they're offering something unique, but the end result is "exceptionally bad rules taped to a bare-bones campaign setting."

^^^ Well we're reviewing that then.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

There was a 3.5 book that included rules for playing Anthropomorphic whatevers, from mice all the way up to beluga whales. They even had various bonuses for the different races, if you were a wolf person you still had scent and trip. If you were a bear person you had improved grab. If you were a whale person you had an absolutely ludicrous strength score.

And there were a couple of races in the various dragon magazines including a race of Wolf people that ride Wolves that hunt Werewolves for being too Wolfy. They were called the Lupin.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I have to wonder: has there ever been a good game about pirates? Particularly one with good rules for sailing and boats?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Grnegsnspm posted:

This is the rabbit hole of the internet.

This made me check to see if there was a Watership Down RPG, which there is, and it's really old, like 1976 old, and is called Bunnies & Burrows. So we're reviewing that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
7th Sea? Although I don't know about the sailing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Wasn't 7th Sea pretty good before it moved to d20?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Kurieg posted:

Wasn't 7th Sea pretty good before it moved to d20?

It was a flagship (OH HO!) system for many intolerable 90's concepts, chief sin among them being spend exp as cool benny points ie do cool things or advance.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

What's the consensus on Exalted Sail charms? I guess they only abstract the concept of sail as a travel mechanic, where we're more or less talking about ship to ship combat. I dunno, I couldn't care less about trying work out broadsides or tacking into the wind or any of the arcane stuff inherent to one ship fighting another, especially since it sounds like the sort of thing that would rapidly become the DM having a long argument with the one player on the ship that makes ship rolls.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Mr. Maltose posted:

It was a flagship (OH HO!) system for many intolerable 90's concepts, chief sin among them being spend exp as cool benny points ie do cool things or advance.
It was also really cool, though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I have to wonder: has there ever been a good game about pirates? Particularly one with good rules for sailing and boats?

Flashing Blades, Privateers and Gentlemen, 50 Fathoms...

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kurieg posted:

There was a 3.5 book that included rules for playing Anthropomorphic whatevers, from mice all the way up to beluga whales. They even had various bonuses for the different races, if you were a wolf person you still had scent and trip. If you were a bear person you had improved grab. If you were a whale person you had an absolutely ludicrous strength score.

And there were a couple of races in the various dragon magazines including a race of Wolf people that ride Wolves that hunt Werewolves for being too Wolfy. They were called the Lupin.

The lupin were one of several anthro races introduced into D&D's "Known World," along with the rakasta (catpeople) and tortles (guess).

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm a fan of Honor and Intrigue.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

7th Sea is a real mixed bag. It differentiates itself from other swashbuckling games by not being entirely horrible, but has a lot of bizarre design decisions, like "Making the setting so you can walk anywhere that matters and never really need a boat" or "We've been there before? gently caress sailing, I'm French, I can teleport".

It can be pretty cool if you take a hammer to it. The boat rules are poo poo, though.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Flashing Blades, Privateers and Gentlemen, 50 Fathoms...

I'm not too familiar with the first two! Never was that enamored with Savage Worlds' vehicle rules, but at least it puts in the effort? Don't know if 50 Fathoms does anything better with them.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 22, 2014

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Selachian posted:

and tortles (guess).

Little chocolate tart guys?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kurieg posted:

drat man, you don't need third-party books or even Dragon articles to have 100 ways to play beast-people in D&D 3e. The half-dragon catgirl vote is a significant fraction of the 3e-specific fanbase.

Selachian posted:

The lupin were one of several anthro races introduced into D&D's "Known World," along with the rakasta (catpeople) and tortles (guess).
http://pandius.com/becmicls.html

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

drat man, you don't need third-party books or even Dragon articles to have 100 ways to play beast-people in D&D 3e. The half-dragon catgirl vote is a significant fraction of the 3e-specific fanbase.

It wasn't a 3rd party book.

Behold the Onager, the anthropomorphic donkey that no one wanted.

It also had rules for loving bizarre stuff like having a centipede grafted to your head and being half gelatinous cube.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kurieg posted:

It also had rules for loving bizarre stuff like having a centipede grafted to your head and being half gelatinous cube.
We had to wait until 4E to get the proper rules for playing a half-mimic, though.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

theironjef posted:

What's the consensus on Exalted Sail charms? I guess they only abstract the concept of sail as a travel mechanic, where we're more or less talking about ship to ship combat. I dunno, I couldn't care less about trying work out broadsides or tacking into the wind or any of the arcane stuff inherent to one ship fighting another, especially since it sounds like the sort of thing that would rapidly become the DM having a long argument with the one player on the ship that makes ship rolls.

I don't know about consensus, but they're typically terrible like every other "pretend there's a subsystem for it even though there isn't yet" part of the game. There are a few interesting tricks buried under a mountain of "+10 yards per second to ship's speed." Of course, the dangerous/difficult terrain, vehicle and mass combat rules were awful to begin with, so putting all that stuff on water hardly makes a difference.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Alien Rope Burn posted:

7th Sea is a real mixed bag. It differentiates itself from other swashbuckling games by not being entirely horrible, but has a lot of bizarre design decisions, like "Making the setting so you can walk anywhere that matters and never really need a boat" or "We've been there before? gently caress sailing, I'm French, I can teleport".

It can be pretty cool if you take a hammer to it. The boat rules are poo poo, though.

I'm not too familiar with the first two! Never was that enamored with Savage Worlds' vehicle rules, but at least it puts in the effort? Don't know if 50 Fathoms does anything better with them.

Privateers and Gentlemen and Flashing Blades were published by Fantasy Games Unlimited (FGU). I did a mostly finished review of their Villains and Vigilantes so maybe I should do Flashing Blades?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

theironjef posted:

This made me check to see if there was a Watership Down RPG, which there is, and it's really old, like 1976 old, and is called Bunnies & Burrows. So we're reviewing that.

Yeah, it's a one of those novelty classics that has passed from the gaming consciousness, much like:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Jef, try to find a copy of Alma Mater.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've got a copy of GURPS Bunnies and Burrows around here somewhere. Of all the licenses they've done, I think that one's one of the strangest.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I've heard of that! It's like high school the game, and it has some extremely on the nose examples of early 80s art and stereotypes throughout. Good call.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
it's also one of the only games to be booted out of Gencon due to some NSFW art...

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

no don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Kurieg posted:

I've got that. I can see it from where I'm sitting here right now.

• Locked thread