Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
Are we sure that's really Charles Grodin and not Chevy Chase with the stick taken out of his rear end?

SoupyTwist fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

fspades posted:

You wrote she sounded like being one step away from jumping a bridge when that was literally one of the complaints she had;

Geniasis posted:

There is a difference between not agreeing and not getting it. Your posts in this thread, particularly the "one jump away from bridge, etc." one indicates the latter.

If she said she was skinny does that mean she is? My point is I disagree with her, including the part about not being depressed or unhappy with herself.

I like the last two episodes even though they weren't very funny. I just hope the whole season isn't like this. It's better than most of what's on tv I guess.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

precision posted:

I know I have no actual authority but I would love it if people would shut up about that scene. And I'm including the posters I agree with. It's just become too toxic and very few people are being civil about disagreeing.
I'm incredibly sorry about my part in the discourse going almost nowhere positive. My heart was in the right place, I think, but that means gently caress-all.

I loved this week's episodes. This show is growing so much that it's hard to go back to the start. It matured, like a great band. It started good, but kind of obvious, and now Louie is making his White Album, or whatever music metaphor fits your taste. It's a completely different show, and I like this one so, so, so much better, even though I liked the old one too.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
On rewatching, I think my favorite bit from this week was Jane's reaction to him asking whether she might be mad at herself. The whole concept just makes zero sense to her.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 22, 2014

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ChesterJT posted:

If she said she was skinny does that mean she is? My point is I disagree with her, including the part about not being depressed or unhappy with herself.

I like the last two episodes even though they weren't very funny. I just hope the whole season isn't like this. It's better than most of what's on tv I guess.

But isn't that the point? She's complaining in that moment of the rant that no matter what she says, people are going to assume she's depressed and suicidal. You are literally proving the character's point.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
For the love of gay christ could we please move on past the fat bitch? It wasn't even a good episode.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Frostwerks posted:

For the love of gay christ could we please move on past the fat bitch? It wasn't even a good episode.

Slinging sexist insults it totally what's going to put this whole thing behind us. Good work!

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

How 'bout Louie's brother in the tiny towel? Hilarious!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Geniasis posted:

But isn't that the point? She's complaining in that moment of the rant that no matter what she says, people are going to assume she's depressed and suicidal. You are literally proving the character's point.

I'm saying unreliable narrator. I didn't mean literally that her character was suicidal and going to jump off a bridge, just used that expression to relay that I think she's unhappy and frustrated with herself and is making it society's problem.

Frostwerks posted:

Sorry for discussing the show in the show thread. I guess I should have just called her a fat bitch and moved on. For future reference what is the post limit on a given topic?

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

ChesterJT posted:

I'm saying unreliable narrator. I didn't mean literally that her character was suicidal and going to jump off a bridge, just used that expression to relay that I think she's unhappy and frustrated with herself and is making it society's problem.

Sorry for discussing the show in the show thread. I guess I should have just called her a fat bitch and moved on. For future reference what is the post limit on a given topic?

Considering your only posts in this thread have been about the fat girl episode that was weeks ago, I think you've had enough, personally.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BrownThunder posted:

Considering your only posts in this thread have been about the fat girl episode that was weeks ago, I think you've had enough, personally.

Counterpoint: Your only two posts have been complaining about other people's posts.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
This season has felt pretty mediocre so far and the fact that the thread is mostly dead aside from fat girl :goonsay: feels like a testament to that.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

precision posted:

Counterpoint: Your only two posts have been complaining about other people's posts.

Let's make it three! I just like reading threads but scrolling through all the fat girl :goonsay: posts is getting ridiculous.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Whoever compared this season to the White Album was on point. It's louie being 'artsy' with some hits but mostly misses, a disregard for whatever the pop equivalent is for comedy, and knowing that FX isn't going to cancel him

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Don't you diss the White Album. >=(

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Mutation posted:

Don't you diss the White Album. >=(

I just mean, it's not going to hit all the right notes. Future classic maybe

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BrownThunder posted:

Let's make it three! I just like reading threads but scrolling through all the fat girl :goonsay: posts is getting ridiculous.

I'm not disagreeing whatsoever, that horse is dead.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This season has felt pretty mediocre so far and the fact that the thread is mostly dead aside from fat girl :goonsay: feels like a testament to that.

Wow, really? This season has elevated the show to imo the bar-none best show on tv. It's not jokey so I can see where one may not like it, but drat does he hit so many perfect notes and tones in a way no other show can approach.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

It's barely a comedy anymore but I think it's loving great.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

A MIRACLE posted:

I just mean, it's not going to hit all the right notes. Future classic maybe

That's fair. Jane's been a little overused this season and some episodes has meandered a bit, but I still think this season has been solid.

Well, so far, at least. We haven't gotten to the 7 part episode yet.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

That's fair. Jane's been a little overused this season and some episodes has meandered a bit, but I still think this season has been solid.

Well, so far, at least. We haven't gotten to the 7 part episode yet.

We've seen parts 1-3 of the 6-part episode.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Breadallelogram posted:

We've seen parts 1-3 of the 6-part episode.

:doh: I thought Elevator was the three parter. No wonder these last few episodes have felt so aimless--they're only half done.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I really hope he gives the sad dad thing a break. I know Seinfeld told him he could make this show forever but it's getting old fast

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Breadallelogram posted:

One of my favorite episodes was the Miami one from last season, which had almost zero jokes in it.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I really really loving loved the fight between Louis and his ex when he completely owns that he has become worked up and no longer able to contribute rationally to the conversation. I've found myself doing that, and it doesn't really help the conversation or anything.

The violin scene made me cry. I can't help but wonder if Louis doesn't look at that girl and not wish she was his daughter instead of his stupid real daughter.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

A MIRACLE posted:

I really hope he gives the sad dad thing a break. I know Seinfeld told him he could make this show forever but it's getting old fast

No I'm loving this poo poo it's the best show on TV and while everyone's calling this season more aimless, I actually think it's a lot tighter and focused in terms of the quality of each scene and how they relate.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Irish Joe posted:

:doh: I thought Elevator was the three parter. No wonder these last few episodes have felt so aimless--they're only half done.

Oh poo poo, I hoped that was the last one. Not a fan of this new serious drama bullshit, maybe if isn't like the White Album then at least like the Black Album. I.e., many will defend it, but it sucks :smug:. There were a couple of great moments here and there (dead guy in the park, and... oh yeah Louie's meltdown, thanks Sub Rosa) but whereas the Miami episode, despite its faults, felt like a refreshing change of pace, this is just getting pretty tedious already.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

BrownThunder posted:

Consider that I didn't realize the new season started until the second week (which was just last week) so I watched the first four episodes together. Also, people are allowed to not love every episode and discuss it in the discussion thread. Go make a Louie hugbox thread if you can't handle it. Or there's an ignore button if you want to take the cowards way out.

A MIRACLE posted:

Whoever compared this season to the White Album was on point. It's louie being 'artsy' with some hits but mostly misses, a disregard for whatever the pop equivalent is for comedy, and knowing that FX isn't going to cancel him

Agree 100%. Even a Louie miss is better than 75% of what's on TV so it's still worth watching. I'm just curious how it's going to wrap up with two potential women in his life now.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
This show was never a laugh-a-minute, jokey sitcom from the very beginning, so I'm wondering what all the people complaining are actually expecting out of the show. Like, why did they start watching, why are they still watching? I could understand fans of Louis C.K.'s stand-up to want to laugh as hard as they do during his stand-up bits, but that was never what the show was really focused on. You'd think eventually the people wanting a funny show would give up.

Or maybe that's why this thread isn't that popular, maybe most did give up. I for one am still liking the show, and I thought that this season was better than last (although the David Lynch episodes were Great TV).

Alright, that was pretty funny.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

King Vidiot posted:

This show was never a laugh-a-minute, jokey sitcom from the very beginning, so I'm wondering what all the people complaining are actually expecting out of the show. Like, why did they start watching, why are they still watching? I could understand fans of Louis C.K.'s stand-up to want to laugh as hard as they do during his stand-up bits, but that was never what the show was really focused on. You'd think eventually the people wanting a funny show would give up.

Or maybe that's why this thread isn't that popular, maybe most did give up. I for one am still liking the show, and I thought that this season was better than last (although the David Lynch episodes were Great TV).

Alright, that was pretty funny.

Nobody complained that the show didn't spontaneously become a laugh-a-minute, jokey sitcom after three seasons of not being that. I "get" the show. I've been a fan of it since season 1. I just don't personally think the humor, drama, or commentary has matched the previous seasons' quality.

The great thing about a show like Louie is that it's a show that does its own thing, but the flipside of that is that when you try something different you have misses as well as hits. The six-episode arc may have an amazing conclusion that elevates the whole thing but as it stands to me it doesn't compare to last seasons 3-parter or even stand-alone episodes like the Miami one.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I never thought of the Elevator episodes as aimless. A whole lot of Louie episodes are structured as "Event occurred, now it's over. Move on to the next bit." Except this time around the universe that episode occurred in still exists, and now the episodes are making callbacks that heighten the show instead of simply being "hey guys remember?!"

edit: Also the whole season so far (outside of the first episode) seems to be Louie's inability to communicate with the women in his life. The model didn't understand how much Louie hated tickling, he said a stupid lie to a fat lady, he either won't talk to his ex-wife about Jane or he gets too emotional when he does, and now the woman he's in love with literally does not speak his language.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 23, 2014

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Nobody complained that the show didn't spontaneously become a laugh-a-minute, jokey sitcom after three seasons of not being that.

You mean aside from the people saying that this season was "not funny", like that was their biggest complaint?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Some of us only watch the show for the stand-up, surreal tidbits, and beautiful camera stuff. Or if every episode was Season 1's "Dogpound" I'd be happy.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm liking Season 4 way more than Season 3. Season 3 had some real high points but was very uneven to me. This season has felt more even and I've enjoyed every episode.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

This arc is really hitting home for me. I'm currently living in a foreign country and dating a girl there. We know I'll leave eventually and we had to ask the same questions Louie is asking.

The violin scene was really well done and heartbreaking.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I want more fat guy in a towel. I think Louis CK knows a lot more about the weird chemistry between two middle-aged single dudes hanging out than whatever this awkward romance thing is.

Also Pamela totally sucked this ep, wtf. Louie the character is especially weird and anxious this arc. (also some of the weakest stand-up that's been on the show)

Interesting that he did the same thing with foreign girl as he did when Pamela offered to take a bath with him - sulking and not hearing what was said. He also tried to replay the Russ and Daughters experience with Liz - maybe it's an indication that he really wants her to be something that she might not be?

The problem with having the doctor say "nobody cares", is that the viewer can only agree, yuuuuup.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 24, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Breadallelogram posted:

That's a fair comment. I don't think it's great great, but it is great in how different it is from anything else on.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Some of us only watch the show for the stand-up, surreal tidbits, and beautiful camera stuff. Or if every episode was Season 1's "Dogpound" I'd be happy.
Surreal is good and doesn't need a laugh out loud payoff or punchline.

No Wave posted:

I want more fat guy in a towel. I think Louis CK knows a lot more about the weird chemistry between two middle-aged single dudes hanging out than whatever this awkward romance thing is.

Also Pamela totally sucked this ep, wtf. Louie the character is especially weird and anxious this arc. (also some of the weakest stand-up that's been on the show)
Well come on, last time he had sex it ended up costing him $5 million. That would make anyone anxious!

No Wave posted:

Interesting that he did the same thing with foreign girl as he did when Pamela offered to take a bath with him - sulking and not hearing what was said. He also tried to replay the Russ and Daughters experience with Liz - maybe it's an indication that he really wants her to be something that she might not be?

What was interesting to me and one of the best 'comic' bits is the connection that his daughter was in trouble for misbehaving and lashing out in school. Then Louie gets home picks up a bat and smashes the keys of a piano.

I don't need more fat guy in a towel, but more interplay between them like in that scene would be okay.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

No Wave posted:

Interesting that he did the same thing with foreign girl as he did when Pamela offered to take a bath with him - sulking and not hearing what was said.

I was really glad that he resolved it within minutes though. I know he's trying to do a sitcom that's not a sitcom, but the trouble with that is often the "situation" in a sitcom is absurd and ridiculous and easy to resolve, but since there's a laugh (hopefully) at the end of it, the viewer lets it slide. I'm thinking of really extreme examples here like Three's Company, where the misunderstanding every week was preposterous and the writers are doing gymnastics to stretch it out to 30 minutes but the show was funny so it works. With Louie, he seems to often try to have those dumb misunderstandings but there's often no laugh at the end, just misery, and that's why it sometimes doesn't work for me. As I mentioned before, the end of the Miami episode was the best example. No payoff, just me thinking how hard is this to explain you buffoon?

This time he thankfully didn't do that. The story line with the Hungarian girl finally looks like its going to be more realistic in terms of relationship misery and less friendzone-y pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Oof, I forgot what an rear end in a top hat Pamela is.

Re-watching the first season, and I think something just went haywire with this character. Pamela isn't nearly the rear end in a top hat that she is in the last episode. She's really harsh, but she never gets to the level of "No one would want to be with you," like she does in the last episode.

• Locked thread