Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

from everything that I've seen Parker is athletic on court, not Wiggins athletic, but a nice physical prospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Parker can get up in the air pretty well, but his lateral quickness leaves a lot to be desired. And there are rumors he's out of shape right now, which has been a pretty consistent problem for him since he got hurt in high school.

I could seen him being a Glenn Robinson type. He's the same sort of tweener. I think he's more well rounded as a scorer though. He can shoot threes and seems more eager to post smaller guys up (although I might be misremembering college Robinson, I was really young). Big Dog, at least in the NBA, was all about the mid-range jumper.

e: actually Robinson was a way better three point shooter than I apparently remember, but he didn't shoot a ton of them for a big chunk of his career.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 22, 2014

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I can't imagine the Cavs will have the balls to draft Embiid with no medical records, especially with the spectre of Bennett hanging over them. It has to be Wiggins, which I think is the right pick anyway.

This isn't an issue, the top 3 will absolutely be allowed to review Embiid's medical records.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

MourningView posted:

e: actually Robinson was a way better three point shooter than I apparently remember, but he didn't shoot a ton of them for a big chunk of his career.
wasn't he the main guy that just went ham (other than all the rockets) when they moved the 3pt line in?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mynameisjohn posted:

wasn't he the main guy that just went ham (other than all the rockets) when they moved the 3pt line in?

That's probably true, there's a big uptick right around that time. My memories of him all involve a billion elbow jumpers.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

Parker can get up in the air pretty well, but his lateral quickness leaves a lot to be desired.

I've heard this as well and also that it's the culprit in his less than stellar defense, as opposed to say like, heart/grit/want to.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

kiimo posted:

I've heard this as well and also that it's the culprit in his less than stellar defense, as opposed to say like, heart/grit/want to.

From what I've seen it's a healthy combination of bad lateral quickness and having no idea how to position himself defensively

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Grit is always the answer.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
I forget where, but I heard Embiid described as "a 7 foot Serge Ibaka."

How accurate is this? He's a 7 foot shotblocker with elite help defense and an automatic midrange jumpshot? Sounds better than the upside of Wiggins or Parker...

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mr. Onslaught posted:

How accurate is this? He's a 7 foot shotblocker with elite help defense and an automatic midrange jumpshot? Sounds better than the upside of Wiggins or Parker...

Err, no. Embiid will likely be a more traditional paint defender rather than a weak-side roamer, and while I suspect Embiid's jumper won't be as good as Ibaka's has been, he's craftier down low. They are both light on their feet, but their roles will be different.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Totally premature. He has a good shooting motion, he can hit threes but it's absolutely still in the experimental phase. What he does great right now is his footwork and post moves and uses both hands, which is totally weird because those are things you usually learn last, not first. He's just a weird natural when it comes to creating on the post.

Here is a video, look for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn-dtrmh0nM

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mr. Onslaught posted:

They are both tall people with African names so they are identical, you see.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Maybe whoever made that comment just has an insider tip that Embiid is really good at acquiring languages

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Actually it's because Cleveland is going to trade future all-star Dion Waiters so they can pay Embiid

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Apparently both Brett Brown and Brown's dad have coached Exum.

Brett Brown is the coach of the Sixers by the way.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I cannot wait to see who Darko's this draft.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

I'm pretty certain the "7 foot Serge Ibaka" comment came from Bill Simmons soooooooo

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Chris de Sperg posted:

I'm pretty certain the "7 foot Serge Ibaka" comment came from Bill Simmons soooooooo

If that's the logic that's making him seem so insistent that Embiid go first, then....

I think it's kinda a tough decision for that first 3 on who to draft. Wiggins and Embiid have way more potential than Parker (not to say that Parker is bad), but they both have a bit of rawness, with Wiggins having to adjust to an offense that lets him drive more and Embiid still working on the learning curve that comes with playing basketball for four years. And the Cavs, Bucks, and Sixers are in such "need now" modes that they can't really afford to do projects... it kinda scares me for the KU guys. Not that they're huge projects, but those three teams haven't proven great at developing people. Parker will be fine and great, but people treating him like a "true" Number One... he doesn't have nearly the defense of the other two. It's a tough deal.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Probably Magic posted:

And the Cavs, Bucks, and Sixers are in such "need now" modes that they can't really afford to do projects

Only the Cavs are really in a need now mode. And that's mainly because their owner wants to make the playoffs asap. The Bucks and the Sixers are going to be bad for a while and absolutely have time for a project.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Chris de Sperg posted:

It did. And yeah, aside from them both being athletic and blocking shots I don't see the similarity. Embiid doesn't look to have the outside game that Ibaka has, and Ibaka has never shown the kind of footwork around the basket that Embiid has. He has his moments, but never as consistent.

Then again, Ibaka didn't really show any signs of having any sort of consistent outside game until mid-2012. As it is now, I trust him more than anyone else on the team to score off a 15-foot isolation (including KD). So the NBA is weird, it's hard to tell what talents guys will end up putting work into or developing into reliable weapons. I don't like the Embiid comparison though, even defensively. As somebody pointed out, they're not even the same kind of shot-blocker. Embiid seems like much more of a straight-up post defender whereas Ibaka is more of a roamer. Embiid appears to be built thicker down low than Ibaka, who's more narrow in the waist and rear end. They're just really different players, and I don't think Embiid projects out to be much like Ibaka.

But they both look good running, so they're the same guy, because :Simmons:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

mynameisjohn posted:

MJ also went off from behind the line and he shot about 3 a game at 43%

So if you were wondering, Michael Jordan's effective jumpshot range was about 22 feet

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

Based my extensive research of watching three Parker/Wiggins/Embiid ten minute videos (the most anyone should waste on college "basketball") it looks like Wiggins should go first and it's not even close

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Based my extensive research of watching three Parker/Wiggins/Embiid ten minute videos (the most anyone should waste on college "basketball") it looks like Wiggins should go first and it's not even close

How tongue in cheek is this post because it will affect how tongue in cheek my response is

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Wiggins is really good, and if he had gone to Duke/UNC/Kentucky/Western Utah Polytech or any school that actually let wings handle the ball and create, it wouldn't be close. Bill Self is a great coach, but he has a system and it is not going to make any SG/SF look good.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Excluding Embiid, how likely are some of the lottery guys gonna bust at the next level? Who has the bustiest profile?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Doltos posted:

Excluding Embiid, how likely are some of the lottery guys gonna bust at the next level? Who has the bustiest profile?

Your mom, obviously.

The biggest bust potential besides the Euro guys we have almost no footage of (Exum, Nurkic) are probably Aaron Gordon, James Young, and maybe Vonleh. I'm defining bust here as "never reaches potential relative to where they were drafted". Young is very young and can't create off the dribble at all right now and doesn't really play defense and Noah Vonleh's stock is wrapped up in perimeter shooting that he only did on occasion and just generally outperforming expectations for his freshman year. Aaron Gordon is all tools.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Doltos posted:

Aaron Gordon voted most likely to be a bust by his classmates

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Aaron Gordon looks/sounds like he's already a good defender and is really athletic, so he should at least have some kind of decent floor.

But then I thought the same thing about Corey Brewer so I don't know.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's either Gordon or Exum. Gordon can defend, but might be a big enough liability on offense that he can't get on the court. Other than like Tony Allen there aren't a ton of defensive stoppers out there getting big minutes who can't at least hit an open corner three. And Exum no one has any clue what to expect.

Young is a good call too, because I'm still not totally sure what he's great at, but I don't think he'll go that early. And I suppose there's a possibility McDermott winds up being a bust for where he's picked if the athleticism/size thing makes it impossible for him to do anything except stand in the corner and shoot.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 22, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I think the worst case scenario for Aaron Gordon would be that he ends up being Hakim Warrick. It's not the worst thing in the world but who wants to draft Hakim Warrick in a loaded draft

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He works hard and all that so he could learn to at least knock down corner jumpers and become a 3 and D guy. Lots of guys learn that after they get to the league. I still hope someone lets him become a hustle 4 though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Huh, I though Smart would have registered just as high on the bust scale as those guys.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kibner posted:

Huh, I though Smart would have registered just as high on the bust scale as those guys.

He didn't only because I forgot about him. He's near the top of my list. I don't like him as a prospect at all. I don't think he's a real point guard or good enough offensively to be more than a backup, unless he stops taking so many dumb long jumpers in the pros or learns how to shoot.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Kibner posted:

He sort of has this weird decent at a lot of things but excels at none jack of all trades thing going on. I don't know how well he translates that to the NBA, but I could see him becoming a solid, off the bench sort of guy that won't be a world-beater but also won't immediately turn the second unit into a dumpster fire.

Gordon's my pick for the current group. He just never impressed me, especially when I saw him live. Personally, I'm just glad Lavine isn't predicted to be a lottery pick anymore. That easily would have been my #1 candidate for bust.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

Parker can get up in the air pretty well, but his lateral quickness leaves a lot to be desired. And there are rumors he's out of shape right now, which has been a pretty consistent problem for him since he got hurt in high school.

I could seen him being a Glenn Robinson type. He's the same sort of tweener. I think he's more well rounded as a scorer though. He can shoot threes and seems more eager to post smaller guys up (although I might be misremembering college Robinson, I was really young). Big Dog, at least in the NBA, was all about the mid-range jumper.

My memory of Robinson was that he was hyperconcerned about his stats, so he didn't start to shoot the three until he could knock it down at a decent clip.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kibner posted:

It depends on who you ask. MV is down on him but I think he'll turn out pretty good.

Rick posted:

My memory of Robinson was that he was hyperconcerned about his stats, so he didn't start to shoot the three until he could knock it down at a decent clip.

Doing a good thing for a bad reason is totally fine

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Douche4Sale posted:

Gordon's my pick for the current group. He just never impressed me, especially when I saw him live. Personally, I'm just glad Lavine isn't predicted to be a lottery pick anymore. That easily would have been my #1 candidate for bust.

I have a couple friends on facebook who are obsessed with the Lakers taking Lavine. Yeah, a PG who can't pass and wasn't all that efficient in college. Sure sounds like a franchise savior :ughh:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's really tough to defend Gordon because he was so inconsistent so he could definitely bust. I really like post-Brandon-Ashley-Injury-Playing-Power-Forward Gordon quite a bit.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

How tongue in cheek is this post because it will affect how tongue in cheek my response is

I played college basketball so I know three things definitively:

1 - college basketball sucks to watch
2 - David West is the biggest rear end in a top hat I have ever seen in my life
3 - Boozer owns

The part about Wiggins that makes him so tantalizing is his defensive potential, even if he is just a transition monster like some kind of giant Barbossa on offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rick posted:

It's really tough to defend Gordon because he was so inconsistent so he could definitely bust. I really like post-Brandon-Ashley-Injury-Playing-Power-Forward Gordon quite a bit.

Aaron Gordon the power forward is a much better prospect than Aaron Gordon the small forward

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I played college basketball so I know three things definitively:

1 - college basketball sucks
2 - David West is the biggest rear end in a top hat I have ever seen in my life
3 - Boozer owns

I find it's much easier to watch if you're just scouting (and way way easier to scout than the NBA or Euroleague) and as far as two and three go I would like those things to be true

• Locked thread