Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Go into any thread and chances are you'll find 2 back to back pages of people talking and arguing about off topic things. Clearly some people are heavily invested in these topics so there must be something to talk about.

Here's a few of my favorites.

For those who don't know, the man kicking the child has Down Syndrome. Apparently the child startled him and he responded by kicking the kid. The dad being a dad knocks his rear end out.

This is a great thread derailed because it's a lovely situation all around yet people will still argue that there's a right and wrong side to it.

Depending on who you ask mentally ill people should have free reign to do what they want and the father is an rear end in a top hat for striking him. Or the father is a hero for punching a clearly mentally ill person.

Personally I'm on the father's side of it. With just instinct and seconds to go by, I'm not going to fault him for striking a person who attacked his child. If that mentally ill man can't be trusted to not attack small children then he probably shouldn't be in public.

My other favorite thread derail is Tipping. I'm a big fan of tipping. I know many people in the service industry rely on those tips for day to day life between their paychecks and many tipped employees actually make under minimum wage because they are expected to make up for it with tips.

My sister on the other hand hates tipping. She claims she's already paying for the service why should she pay even more? Pizza delivery, restaurants, haircuts, not a single penny towards tipping and it makes me embarrassed to go out with her when she's paying.

What I really like about tips deraling threads though is that it often brings out non-american goons to post and chime in. Regardless of what your stance on tipping is, the rest of the world agrees that America's tipping rules are weird and need adjustment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
In the vein of tipping, unlisted sales taxes. There are American goons who will actually defend this practice.

Gun control, too. Apparently it is perfectly reasonable for the everyman on the street to have a tool that lets him kill two to three people at any given time before someone can react, should he choose to do so.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Anything about hats.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Personally, as a trans-black homosexual fox otherkin with pan-asian bisexual headmates who only crush on asexual fedora-wearing brony midgets, I think this thread is offensive. Let me tell you about how Ron Paul is going to save the world with bitcoins and why obama is secretly trying to take our guns because he worships Allah.

Edit: I hate tipping and poor people too.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Anything to do with cardio, but especially treadmills. People have some weird ideas about how treadmills and cardio in general works.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSxqnaTd-uk

Really loving hate when people bring up trains

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kajeesus posted:

Gun control, too. Apparently it is perfectly reasonable for the everyman on the street to have a tool that lets him kill two to three people at any given time before someone can react, should he choose to do so.
Gun control is an amazing derail. Some one could post a thread about Mountain Dew's new flavor and some one will find a way to get it gassed in 3 pages because people will not shut up about guns.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Transgenderism.

Fat people.

Rape.

PUAs.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Which way toilet paper is supposed to be put on the holder? Who gives a gently caress? You wipe your rear end with it! Just use it and stop thinking about it!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

casual poster posted:

Which way toilet paper is supposed to be put on the holder? Who gives a gently caress? You wipe your rear end with it! Just use it and stop thinking about it!

Also use some water you loving barbarian

you may die
Dec 15, 2013
Any time I see [x 450 >] on a thread I read I just assume someone mentioned alcohol.

edit: superfluous word

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

It doesn't start arguments, but I've noticed that if Family Guy comes up, a dozen people will be tripping over each other to hate it the most. Like, they can't sit idly by and not let people know how much they don't like it.

Volume posted:

What I really like about tips deraling threads though is that it often brings out non-american goons to post and chime in. Regardless of what your stance on tipping is, the rest of the world agrees that America's tipping rules are weird and need adjustment.

Also, whenever a European comments that Americans take racism too seriously or are hypersensitive about it.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 02:33 on May 23, 2014

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

gif with a hard 'g'

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Supermechagodzilla is as destructive to a Cinema Discusso thread as his namesake is to Japan.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Circumcision.

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

The Friend Zone.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Every fifth post in the Schadenfreude thread.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Every fifth post in the Schadenfreude thread.

Go into thread based entirely around laughing at people getting hurt --> Act shocked and appalled that someone laughed at a video of someone getting hurt

e: Oh, and people bragging that they have a keyboard with blank keys.

Pneub has a new favorite as of 03:45 on May 23, 2014

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pneub posted:

Go into thread based entirely around laughing at people getting hurt --> Act shocked and appalled that someone laughed at a video of someone getting hurt

Came here to post this. I have no idea what these people were expecting when they clicked on the "satisfaction or pleasure felt at someone else's misfortune" thread.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The whole tipping system is hosed it's just an excuse to pay minimum wage to hard workers. Every rich gently caress that comes into the shop expects full service at no additional cost because they never understand value until it infects them with HIV

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
yeah?

Sleazoid
Nov 13, 2007

rear end wiping methods & trannies are the best ones

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Dance parties in the meme thread. Not only does it skirt around the old "no more than 5 .gifs per post" the "PYF .gif" thread has, posters are including anime dance .gifs (also a no-no in the old .gif thread).

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
stalin was a hero and the greatest man to ever live

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I have no idea what these people were expecting when they clicked on the "satisfaction or pleasure felt at someone else's misfortune" thread.

Probably has something to do with a lot of goons apparently misunderstanding/not knowing the definition of schadenfreude in the first place and thinking it means something like comeuppance.

Anyways, the endless shouting match on whether or not pineapple on pizza is disgusting will never cease to amuse with its inanity. Or for that matter, any argument that results from goons' basic inability to accept that their opinions are indeed opinions and not objective fact.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Doctor Bishop posted:

Anyways, the endless shouting match on whether or not pineapple on pizza is disgusting will never cease to amuse with its inanity. Or for that matter, any argument that results from goons' basic inability to accept that their opinions are indeed opinions and not objective fact.

It isn't disgusting, but it isn't actually good by any stretch of the imagination.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Pizza places use canned pineapple, which I do not like on pizza. I used to be vehemently against it until my girlfriend had me try a pizza made with freshly cut pineapple. If you like pineapple and pizza both, you can try it out; I found it to be much better.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
Ehhhh, Calvin & Hobbes was pretty funny by newspaper comic standards.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Android Bicyclist posted:

Dance parties in the meme thread. Not only does it skirt around the old "no more than 5 .gifs per post" the "PYF .gif" thread has, posters are including anime dance .gifs (also a no-no in the old .gif thread).
I don't even know what derailing the meme thread means, is it even possible? How could you tell?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Ponies and furries will derail a thread pretty good most of the time. Usually not with any debate or anything unless someone decides to come out, but with people constantly just bitching about how much they hate both of said things.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Can sausage patties truly be considered sausages?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

This video game has breasts in it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Plane does not take off.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lotish posted:

Supermechagodzilla is as destructive to a Cinema Discusso thread as his namesake is to Japan.

That dude puts a lot of effort into his posts that I'm almost tempted to classify them as art. He makes a lot of convincing arguments too but rather than just say "Well that's just you're opinion, man" some will go to great lengths and word counts to try and discredit him.

That loving Sned posted:

This video game has breasts in it.

It's like a pizza slice in a dumpster.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Captain Lavender posted:

It doesn't start arguments, but I've noticed that if Family Guy comes up, a dozen people will be tripping over each other to hate it the most. Like, they can't sit idly by and not let people know how much they don't like it.

You want arguments about cartoons, go mention South Park in any D&D thread.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
In no particular order:
-Steak is great cooked above medium-rare/medium. In fact, I like my steaks well done.
-Chili should have beans in it.
-That looks like David Mitchell.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Michigan J Frog gag. It goes on forever and comes up seemingly every week.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

oldpainless posted:

The Michigan J Frog gag. It goes on forever and comes up seemingly every week.

It was funny once. It was very funny. Once. That one time. But people keep trying it over and over, like it's going to be funny again if you just repeat it enough. It isn't.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
RACISM!!! and MISOGYNY!!

in sports threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Fedoras
MRAs
Ska
Jorts
Transitions
Trans
Any forum drama in QCS

Android Bicyclist posted:

If they want a dance party, I will give them anime.

• Locked thread