Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

howling_mad posted:

Is the Fiesta really that close in price to the Focus?

I think you may have just gotten a hell of a deal. Not only are Focuses (Focii?) hard to come by, they didn't seem willing to budge too far from sticker. Last I looked a few months ago the dealers in my proximity only had two among them. And then inexplicably carmax had one too which seemed odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Depends on the area. Lot of people got deals on close out 2013s.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

howling_mad posted:

Is the Fiesta really that close in price to the Focus? I picked up an ST2 with moonroof and navigation for $22k.

You must be in a special part of the world. In SoCal a Focus ST optioned like that is 27k. My Fiesta was around 23k fully loaded minus the worthless sunroof.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

BoostCreep posted:

You must be in a special part of the world. In SoCal a Focus ST optioned like that is 27k. My Fiesta was around 23k fully loaded minus the worthless sunroof.

Mine was a close out. It sticked for $28.5k. I guess I'm just surprised that the Fiesta maintains its price so well.

The sunroof gets a lot of flak but I like it personally. It's not very big though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I was looking to test drive a FiST soon and there is a dealer trying to sell one for 29k :laffo:

I've seen a few on autotrader under 20k if you're willing to fly somewhere and drive home.

LtDansMagkLegs
Jul 23, 2013

howling_mad posted:

Mine was a close out. It sticked for $28.5k. I guess I'm just surprised that the Fiesta maintains its price so well.

The sunroof gets a lot of flak but I like it personally. It's not very big though.

I think the fact the Fiesta is newer has something to do with it too. When I was shopping around at the beginning of the year I found a few dealers who were offering deals on the Focus but wouldn't budge at all on the Fiesta. The one closest to me had a Molten Orange Fiesta fully equipped for something absurd like 28k which was more than the ST2 they were selling right beside it.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

howling_mad posted:

It's small, too far back, adds about 50lbs to the worst part of the car, and drops the ceiling to the point where someone tall like me couldn't wear a helmet in the car. My head was just about touching the ceiling in the one I test drove. Then the salesman seemed annoyed that the one option I absolutely didn't want was the only one they ordered them with.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
It does help you flip people off though, so it's a wash.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

True but it is awkwardly far back so you might end up punching the roof if you just shove your hand straight up.

My LTD is great for this. I've been driving it with the top down and had someone beep at me while stopped for some stupid reason and I just turned around and glared at them.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Do you have the seat all the way forward or something? I'm 6'2, and while getting in and out of the car is kind of a hassle, the sunroof is at exactly the sunroof is at exactly the right position for optimal derisive expression. For me, anyway.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

SFH1989 posted:

True but it is awkwardly far back so you might end up punching the roof if you just shove your hand straight up.

My LTD is great for this. I've been driving it with the top down and had someone beep at me while stopped for some stupid reason and I just turned around and glared at them.

This was the best part of driving my old convertible audi, you can death-stare any motherfucker directly, or holler at them.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

SFH1989 posted:

It's small, too far back, adds about 50lbs to the worst part of the car, and drops the ceiling to the point where someone tall like me couldn't wear a helmet in the car. My head was just about touching the ceiling in the one I test drove. Then the salesman seemed annoyed that the one option I absolutely didn't want was the only one they ordered them with.

Valid points. I'm below 6ft, so it hasn't been an issue. It is a bit further back, bit as a glasses wearer I appreciate that. Otherwise light reflects oddly.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Atmus posted:

Do you have the seat all the way forward or something? I'm 6'2, and while getting in and out of the car is kind of a hassle, the sunroof is at exactly the sunroof is at exactly the right position for optimal derisive expression. For me, anyway.

I never actually tried it although knowing how much of a dick the salesman ended up being I should have made him as uncomfortable as possible when I had the chance. The ST was the only Fiesta I've driven with a sunroof. If I was shorter (I'm 6'0") it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

SFH1989 posted:

I never actually tried it although knowing how much of a dick the salesman ended up being I should have made him as uncomfortable as possible when I had the chance. The ST was the only Fiesta I've driven with a sunroof. If I was shorter (I'm 6'0") it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Oh, that's it. I thought you were talking about Focuses for some reason and your gripes made zero sense.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I did a dumb today, I went and test drove a FoST.
Now I want one even more.
:-(

Been looking at every focus I see for a month to see if it's an ST, none were. Drive off and almost immediately saw one. In the blue I want.

The salesman that I took the escape test drive with in January was there and recognized me by name even. Was impressed.

Minor gripes on the car. Limited visibility, clutch is...strange, compared to my mustang. Very binary, clutch engaged or clutch not engaged. But tons of power when you plant it. Put a smile on my face, which is damned hard to do. I'm 250 and while the recaros were tight, they weren't too bad. That was my biggest worry going in.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 23, 2014

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Minor gripes on the car. Limited visibility, clutch is...strange, compared to my mustang. Very binary, clutch engaged or clutch not engaged.

I've seen a lot of complaints about the clutch. Interesting, as find it has a fairly wide travel between lugging and stalling. It's friendly and easy to drive smoothly subconsciously compared to my old Subie that needed real concious effort to drive smoothly.

Knock on wood I haven't had any issue wide turning circle.

Yes, the visibility is horrendous and I'm not convinced one could get used to it.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 23, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I had the chance to beat on both a FoST and a FiST and yeah, the clutch is such a departure from my Mustang that it really threw me for a loop. Once I realized that the travel was about a third of what I'm used to, I just figured out that I could use it like a button and really enjoyed myself. I'm sure I'll pick up an ST2 Focus eventually.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Visibility is not that bad, you definitely get used to it. The turning circle, though... woof.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I had the chance to beat on both a FoST and a FiST and yeah, the clutch is such a departure from my Mustang that it really threw me for a loop. Once I realized that the travel was about a third of what I'm used to, I just figured out that I could use it like a button and really enjoyed myself. I'm sure I'll pick up an ST2 Focus eventually.
I'm not perfectly smooth on my mustang (as its not something that bothers me), but on the mustang theres a pretty wide range between "on" and "off". The FoST was much shorter, but it didn't seem to have much in the way of variability to it. Again, very binary.
Or maybe I'm still just bad at clutches. :shrug:

I'm sure I'll get used to the visibility. Just gonna take a while.
Now I just need to initiate plan new-job / moving / new-car.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I've daily driven stick for nine years and when I drove my friends FoST the first thing I did was stall it. The clutch is somewhat "on/off". The FiST on the other hand felt like my SES at low speed.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
Way too much Ford talk ITT! (Granted, I'm just jealous of how good I think the Focus ST looks)

Bringing it back around to god's favorite Hot Hatch, the STi. I did a thing that made it look and sound more appropriate.

The smudges on the nice clean bumper are from my sweaty face that I was pressing up against as I was grappling with the hangers. Thank you AZ sun.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 24, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dude, your face is oily. You should see a dermatologist.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

You're just jealous that he won't have any wrinkles when he's 50.

I wish some word would leak about the Mazdaspeed3 and SRT4.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheeee posted:

You're just jealous that he won't have any wrinkles when he's 50.

I wish some word would leak about the Mazdaspeed3 and SRT4.

My face is oily too! I saw a dermatologist!

I wish Mazda would say anything firm about future performance cars.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Dude, your face is oily. You should see a dermatologist.

It really isn't though! I got plenty wrong with my physique, but oily skin just normally isn't a problem.

A better pic:

I love the way the gaps are actually filled out. Not even the SPT exhaust does that on this car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Linux Nazi posted:

It really isn't though! I got plenty wrong with my physique, but oily skin just normally isn't a problem.

Nobody believes you! Your username should be EXXON VALDEZ.

I am of course just kidding around.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Rhyno posted:

I wish Mazda would say anything firm about future performance cars.

It's too bad they aren't still in bed with Ford because we'd probably have a Mazdaspeed 2 right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

8ender posted:

It's too bad they aren't still in bed with Ford because we'd probably have a Mazdaspeed 2 right now.

Almost certainly. I keep reading about turbo Skyactive tests but there's not a single concrete word on it actually ending up in a car.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
What would one hope to get from an updated MS3 that the Focus ST doesn't already accomplish? IIRC (and correct me if I'm wrong) both of the previous generations of those were C1 platform variants, so they seem to be very close to one another in terms of what market they are going after. Is the Skyactive engine got a lot of potential or something?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Linux Nazi posted:

What would one hope to get from an updated MS3 that the Focus ST doesn't already accomplish? IIRC (and correct me if I'm wrong) both of the previous generations of those were C1 platform variants, so they seem to be very close to one another in terms of what market they are going after. Is the Skyactive engine got a lot of potential or something?

It's prettier.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

More competition never hurt either. Especially when the WRX hatch is out.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I think the Mazda2 looks beter than the Fiesta, just sayin. A Mazdaspeed version would probably look hot.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

CountOfNowhere posted:

It's prettier.

Perhaps. I like the way the Focus looks though.

Though I drive the Subaru, so basically everything's prettier.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Almost certainly. I keep reading about turbo Skyactive tests but there's not a single concrete word on it actually ending up in a car.

Yeah, i'm liking the rumors of a 300hp awd mazdazpeed 3. The rumors of early 2016 and $35,000 not so much.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Powershift posted:

Yeah, i'm liking the rumors of a 300hp awd mazdazpeed 3. The rumors of early 2016 and $35,000 not so much.

I don't need anything that extreme. I really like the looks, outside and inside, of the new Mazda3, but would really prefer a light turbo to be more of a GTI competitor.

Not that I would complain about 300HP and AWD, unlikely as it seems, as long as they didn't really dork up the bodykit.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

Wouldn't it be odd for Mazda to go into the Golf-R-esque type hot hatch place? 35k hatchbacks don't sell too hot. Then again maybe that's Mazda's whole deal, sell them at a premium to make up for having to make them in the first place.

I am interested to see what the new Mazda 3 tarted up as the 'speed' edition though, I think the Mazda redesign is so boring. :(

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

As much as I like my MS3, I think they need to bring back the Mazdaspeed 6

... Wait they are ! *I hope*

http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-2014-mazda6-to-gain-coupe-mazdaspeed-variants-281839.html

Although they should stop pussyfooting around and just go twin-turbo V8, cause I said so

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

A 2 door Mazdaspeed 6 doesn't make any sense to me. Now bringing back a 4 door MS6 would. The affordable midsized segment is lacking in sports sedan choices.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
The Speed 6 was really fantastic in the segment. Fast, awd, sedan with a six speed. Not too boy racer. Practical as hell.

It should come back to fill the hole for people like me that want a fast sedan but can't afford (good) BMW territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The article is pretty devoid of facts and mentions a 2 door MS6 being positioned against an A5, which is Buick levels of wishful thinking.

If they do build a turbo SkyActiv 2.0 for it, though, putting that into a 3 hatch would be a no-brainer