Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So what WAS the plot of Pride of Justice, I never found out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Onmi posted:

So what WAS the plot of Pride of Justice, I never found out.
All I know about it is Yanlong got Possession mode in RoEG, and either Tytti or Mio finally unlock (in Tytti's case, now canonically unlocks) their own Possession mode depending on player choice. So does...the black-Cybuster looking mech (gently caress, I forget its pilot's name). Oh, and Zash is retired, hence why his sister Remia now has the Galguard(ia). Beyond that, I have no real idea. There's a dude who was in the previous game who is Totally Not Daniel Craig James Bond named Guido who now gets (some) attention. Saphine's sister is somehow back from the dead but kind of isn't. Fang gets a theme song, some spotlight, and ditches his scouter, too. That's about all I know.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Yanlong unlocked the potential for Possession in RoEG, and his final finisher in the path you unlock it on has an effect similar to Possession. However he didn't actually quite get there, because he couldn't maintain it and Granveil didn't change form. But he was really close basically and used it for a quick burst of power. He manages to finish it off in PoJ, but I haven't played it so I don't know the details.

Essentially from what I gather, where the first Masoukishin game was about Volruss and RoEG dealt with the second trio of Dark Gods, Lastifort the god of peace (who wants to rob everyone of the will to defy him and basically turn them into slaves, which is technically peaceful) PoJ dealt with the third one whose name I cannot remember. He is the dark god of creation and basically Fang's dad is trying to bring back people who have died to life, I think his wife in particular. He tries to get people to side with him by promising to bring back their loved ones as far as I can judge from certain dialogues on scenes from the ending stage. I believe he dies, and then gets brought back to life but the god has basically taken over his body and mech.

Judging from what happened with SUPER VOLKRUSS and SUPER LASTIFORT and mentions of a combined and almighty evil god that was split into the three they had in RA GEAS in the modern day I would expect to see the combined super evil god reappear in Coffin of the End.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

So is this before Dark Prison?

Also I just realized why mainline series only go upto 3 and the few ones that hit 4 got renamed to F, that whole unlucky number association :negative:

Except there is an SRW 4 so what the hell I guess.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Lostconfused posted:

So is this before Dark Prison?

Also I just realized why mainline series only go upto 3 and the few ones that hit 4 got renamed to F, that whole unlucky number association :negative:

Except there is an SRW 4 so what the hell I guess.

The original SRW F (and F Final) replace 4 in the timeline anyway, so no problem.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Has anyone made a list if the number of times per SRW game that someone says something to the effect of "this is no time for humans to be fighting each other"? Z3 has at least a dozen, and that's fairly typical.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Samurai Sanders posted:

Has anyone made a list if the number of times per SRW game that someone says something to the effect of "this is no time for humans to be fighting each other"? Z3 has at least a dozen, and that's fairly typical.

Generic battle quotes or scene dialogue?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It amuses me greatly that they're trying to pass COFFIN OF THE END as a super ominous name. The trailer tries so hard to make it look like the most epic serious business adventure of the OG saga only to shove the goofy title in our faces right after. :allears:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pureauthor posted:

Generic battle quotes or scene dialogue?
Scene dialog. Does it happen in battle quotes very often? I must have missed it.

Also, I've been playing srw for a long time now, so you'd think I would not let a mission critical unit get destroyed about an hour into a big multi-part endgame stage and then realize I hadn't saved a single time in that stage yet. You'd think...

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's kind of a needed plot point to make the crossovers work.

Granted, it would be amusing if the Titans went "You know what, we have genocidal aliens. OK fine we'll team up for a bit" and Jerid and Kamille get to be on the same team I don't think Banpresto has that much liberty anymore.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's dumb that the Titans of all things still exist by Z3, which is basically beyond Alpha 3 in terms of power level.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Z3 is really weird because you have events of patently cosmic scale beyond even Alpha 3 whose entire plot was 'big galaxy-wide poo poo is going down like never before seen' what with Gurren Lagann and Gunbuster and EVOL and the KING OF ALL SPACE thing with Tetsujin, but then Full Metal Panic is also there and even the Titans are still hanging around clinging to a very standard Gundam plot.

In any case, didn't Shu's route in EX entirely base itself upon 'I am going to take down this deity of darkness with Titans rejects'?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
I miss battle masteries like "Have Bright Noa shoot down the Angel", even if it's just rose-coloured glasses.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gyra_Solune posted:

In any case, didn't Shu's route in EX entirely base itself upon 'I am going to take down this deity of darkness with Titans rejects'?

A man goes to war with the weapons he is given. In Shu's case, that usually amounts to "my godlike mech and a gang of hangers-on ranging from totally useless to modestly useful"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tae posted:

It's dumb that the Titans of all things still exist by Z3, which is basically beyond Alpha 3 in terms of power level.
Well, holding onto petty grudges instead of paying attention to much bigger problems is a very human thing to do.

edit: people still don't need to complain about it twelve times every game, just once or twice would be enough.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Because Squads are a ton weaker when not full. Using Center formation to take out the leader leaves the remaining two (who are often weaker units then the Squad Leader to start with) much more vulnerable to ALL and TRIs because the damage penalty to a two man squad is minuscule.

That's the point.

You're not supposed to just be able to spam ALL and Tri attacks, they're weaker against full squads and especially Wide Formation.

Instead try upgrading your squadmates, you know, that way the PLAs won't suck. Or heck, there are plenty of mechs with strong PLA atttacks, just use those.

I totally missed this. Topic kind of drifted by now, but I get that you're arguing for playing the game way it was intended to be played. My point is that doing so makes the game slower than just doubling down on ALLs and TRIs (and killing them that way is also slower than killing other mooks, so it is double the slowness) which kind of matters when the only difficulty to be found is in skill points that say "Clear the stage by turn X". I just wish that the intended way to play Z was the efficient one.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 23, 2014

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I can't believe I'm saying this, but the animations in Coffin of the end End look pretty drat good. If the standing/reeling animations weren't so static, I'd nearly want that presentation in a traditional SRW out of curiousity.

Also, it doesn't help that it would look superior to nearly every 3D SRW.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Luceid posted:

I miss battle masteries like "Have Bright Noa shoot down the Angel", even if it's just rose-coloured glasses.

Z3 directly references that when you do something similar. Except it's just a reference to the alpha games.

Also to be fair it was a pathetically easy thing to do in the Alpha games once you knew how AT fields worked.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 23, 2014

Eternal Volfogg
Feb 13, 2012

BOMBER!!!!

Broken Loose posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the animations in Coffin of the end End look pretty drat good. If the standing/reeling animations weren't so static, I'd nearly want that presentation in a traditional SRW out of curiousity.

Also, it doesn't help that it would look superior to nearly every 3D SRW.

Maybe im fanboy but that trailer was actually pretty badass in my book. Shu is loving awesome. The Masoukishin have some of my favorite mech designs ever, guess ill pick this up to round out my collection.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

GimmickMan posted:

I totally missed this. Topic kind of drifted by now, but I get that you're arguing for playing the game way it was intended to be played. My point is that doing so makes the game slower than just doubling down on ALLs and TRIs (and killing them that way is also slower than killing other mooks, so it is double the slowness) which kind of matters when the only difficulty to be found is in skill points that say "Clear the stage by turn X". I just wish that the intended way to play Z was the efficient one.

No it isn't.

I never upgrade weapons, never FUB any unit because I upgrade them equally and I have never had a problem with enemies taking too long to kill and I've never had any particular trouble with the SRs.

Like, is your definition of "too long" something like "I can't wipe out enemy squads in a single All attack."

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 23, 2014

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

GimmickMan posted:

It amuses me greatly that they're trying to pass COFFIN OF THE END as a super ominous name. The trailer tries so hard to make it look like the most epic serious business adventure of the OG saga only to shove the goofy title in our faces right after. :allears:

If the title were something like "Sarcophagus of the Apocalypse" instead, would you find it less silly or more?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

maou shoujo posted:

If the title were something like "Sarcophagus of the Apocalypse" instead, would you find it less silly or more?

Casket of the Armageddon.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Brunom1 posted:

Casket of the Armageddon.

Crate of the Cataclysm.
Coffer of the Catastrophe.
Bin of the... I can't do a good one for that.

They're all kind of silly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wastebasket at the End of the World

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mausoleum of the Doomsday.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Tomb of Gehenna. The last dark god is a vampire. Surprise guest star Valvrave. :getin:

Dr Pepper posted:

No it isn't.

I never upgrade weapons, never FUB any unit because I upgrade them equally and I have never had a problem with enemies taking too long to kill and I've never had any particular trouble with the SRs.

Like, is your definition of "too long" something like "I can't wipe out enemy squads in a single All attack."

I thought you were agreeing with me for a moment with the last post because you were basically proving my point. Yeah, if you're not bothering with upgrades to weapons the system makes perfect sense. If you do upgrade your leads though, you will notice that ALLs are superior to Wide in pretty much every way, so why bother using other formations at that point?

Like, I'm not saying you're playing the game wrong, dude. I do challenge runs all the time. I just wish the system that the entire gameplay revolves around actually held up during the mid and late game. Then again SRW pretty much always breaks down halfway through if you put even an ounce of effort into it so that is not anything new, it is just more noticeable. :shrug:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Urn of Revelation
Crematorium of Purgatory
Pyramid of Annihilation

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

GimmickMan posted:

I thought you were agreeing with me for a moment with the last post because you were basically proving my point. Yeah, if you're not bothering with upgrades to weapons the system makes perfect sense. If you do upgrade your leads though, you will notice that ALLs are superior to Wide in pretty much every way, so why bother using other formations at that point?

Except you were complaining that the enemies in Wide formation make it so that you can't just spam ALL attacks and win.

You said that Wide Formation makes the game unfun because the enemies can't be beaten with TRI and ALL attacks if they're in Wide.

Then I say try the other formation... then you say that upgrading weapons makes the other formations useless...? :psyduck:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Endorph posted:

Wastebasket at the End of the World

Rubbish bin of the end of days.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Gyra_Solune posted:

Z3 is really weird because you have events of patently cosmic scale beyond even Alpha 3 whose entire plot was 'big galaxy-wide poo poo is going down like never before seen' what with Gurren Lagann and Gunbuster and EVOL and the KING OF ALL SPACE thing with Tetsujin, but then Full Metal Panic is also there and even the Titans are still hanging around clinging to a very standard Gundam plot.

Amalgam are enormous jerks in Z3, but they're basically the only ones. Everything in Neo Zeon falls under the umbrella of "jerks Char was keeping around to do his completely amazing Beyond the Time gambit," which, you may have guessed from that description, I find 100% forgivable. And actually, now that I mention it, Frontal's goal was of cosmic importance as far as he was concerned. Besides, Char says it outright when you confront him on Neo Zeon's actions with that very line: "yes, I'd like the world to be saved, but I'm also thinking of what will become of it once it is," which is a totally valid and very Char approach to Z3's theme of letting people choose their own futures.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Except you were complaining that the enemies in Wide formation make it so that you can't just spam ALL attacks and win.

You said that Wide Formation makes the game unfun because the enemies can't be beaten with TRI and ALL attacks if they're in Wide.

Then I say try the other formation... then you say that upgrading weapons makes the other formations useless...? :psyduck:

Okay first and foremost here is my original point explained as clearly and concisely as I can: Wide formation is a speedbump. Its supposed counter is to focus them down one by one, or to at least take out one of them then take out the others. How is this not, by default, slower than TRI formations (which explode if you look at them funny) and Center formations (which explode if you use TRI charges)?

Now for the rest... I said it makes the game slower, not unfun and certainly not unwinnable. Maybe if you tried upgrading weapons you'd see what I mean? :v: The combat math in SRW has always favored single super attacks way more than a barrage of weaker ones. This goes double for recent games where the enemies tend to have barriers. Try giving someone a few weapon bars and you'll see that it amounts to a good 5-10k extra damage, not 2 or 3 like the descriptions would imply.

A good chunk of grunt kills in SRW come from enemy phase counterattacks, during which both Center and Wide contribute nothing offensively speaking. During the enemy phase you can still wipe out Wide squads in one go if you use an upgraded ALL finisher or use someone like Kei with an innate damage bonus. Fully upgraded ALL weapons are paradoxically the only way to wipe out Wide enemy squads during a counterattack, too.

The clincher here is that if you upgrade just a single unit to power up your ALLs instead of spreading out your money, you are also upgrading your single target finishers to use with Hot Blood + Support Attack/Attack Again against bosses, so doubling down harder on ALLs and TRIs is actually more efficient than using the other formations.

Most of this would be solved if they let you use more than PLA weapons during Center and Wide and if Hot Blood/Soul worked there too.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

KoB posted:

And lo, as I gazed upon a host of heavenly angels; a divine being came unto me and whispered, "Hefty, Hefty, Hefty..."

And so mine soul was saved.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KoB posted:

Mastaba of Ragnarok

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Coffin of the End.

...poo poo

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I hate 3D SRWs, but this looks sexy as gently caress. Have they finally figured out how to make their 3D not look like total rear end? Well, then that's a day one purchase! :swoon:

Edit: Keep that poo poo out the mainline games though. :reject:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
A part that lets me regen all of my EN every single turn on one unit? What the gently caress, Banpresto?

Gunbuster's goddamn unstoppable with that part slapped on, it's so ridiculous.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Hivac posted:

A part that lets me regen all of my EN every single turn on one unit? What the gently caress, Banpresto?

All of the D-Trader parts are stupidly broken. That one's actually kind of tame.

Think of them as in-game cheat codes.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kanos posted:

All of the D-Trader parts are stupidly broken. That one's actually kind of tame.

Think of them as in-game cheat codes.
On the other hand, the Hakai emblem is no more powerful than a normal upgrade part.

edit: vvv drat you, I was going to say that yesterday but forgot!

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 24, 2014

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Hivac posted:

Gear Fighter Dendoh (sp?) could get that full EN regen intrinsically. Granted, Dendoh had the gimmick of potentially using all its EN in one attack. :v:

• Locked thread