Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I only got topical and nitrous when I had mine done. I was awake for the whole thing.

Also, hi friends! I feel like I haven't had a chance to catch up with forums stuff in forever. Life's been crazy, hope you are all well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I only got topical and nitrous when I had mine done. I was awake for the whole thing.

Whatever was in that IV, I could see the electricity move in the flourescent bulbs, hear the colors of the music that was playing, and taste sounds in my nose. I want some more of that!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I took my kids to the zoo this weekend and there was a gathering of furries there with tails and ears and at least one fedora. Also they were almost all moderately overweight and several were wearing those giant straightlegged jean pants things. And neckbeards as far as the eye could see. As we were walking by, the only conversation I caught was two of them talking about videogames (God of War, I believe).

So I guess what I'm asking is if there was a furry goon meet happening this past weekend.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Woke up twice during mine, nothing like the sound of that drill and teeth cracking. They only gave me 7.5/325 hydrocodone. They told me the gen anasthesia would wear off over a day, my insanely drug tolerant body was fully coherent before the pharmacy even had my scrips ready.
I had a similar experience. After I had mine out---two of them were severely impacted and they had to remove part of my jaw to get at them---the surgeon told me that I came to a couple times during the procedure and they had to ask me to stop singing.

I still regret not asking him what I was attempting to sing.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

My top two popped right out, but my bottoms were severely impacted, and had to be chipped out, piece by piece. I recall waking up in the middle of it, seeing the surgeon and his assistant up to their elbows in blood, laughing to myself and passing back out. Vague memories of dreaming about making spaghetti and meat sauce.

The surgeon later told me that I had been trying to crack jokes during surgery. I have no recollection of that.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I got put under for mine. They put the IV in and asked me to count to ten.

"1... 2... 3... Uh. 4? Is it 4?"
"You've been done for an hour."
"Ok."

On the way home I smiled at someone in the car next to us before spitting out a mouthful of blood.

Stopped at Taco Bell shortly after. It was delicious.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I didn't have a loving, supportive significant other or family member to drive me home after my wisdom tooth removals (Just a lovely boyfriend who didn't want to take time off work), so I got just Novocaine. I was fully aware through the whole tooth cracking, bone drilling adventure. The dentist was VERY concerned about having me be awake through the whole thing and warned me it could be "rather distressing". Once it was over, I stopped at the store still fully numbed up to pick up my drugs for at home and drooled blood all over the pharmacy counter when trying to tell them my name.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I've got y'all beat only because of when it needed to be done. Like squashy the top two were fine but the bottom had to be broken and taken out through the side of my jaw. Problem was they were severely impacted and the doc said they had a chance of rotting the teeth in front of them by they way they were pushing up and I needed them out soon. Problem was, this was in November and the next opening he had was in May. That is, other than one opening literally on Christmas Eve. So there I was on Christmas day with my family high as a kite, miserable and swollen. Merry Christmas to all. What kind of sadistic oral surgeon is open on Christmas eve anyway?

Then again the drugs made the Christmas tree really pretty to look at.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Still have my wisdom teeth. :smugdog:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Nailed the poo poo out of first assessment, crêpes suzette went off flawlessly.

God drat it feels good when a dish comes off without a hitch.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My first two wisdom teeth were kind of an ordeal. Awake the whole half hour it took to take out two. Nothing like seeing what appears to be smoke come out of your mouth. Even without the pain, being able to feel the crunching of your own bones is pretty :stonk:

20 years later the third one decides to get a cavity and it was a breeze, five minutes! It was so pleasant that I asked her to just take out the last one but she refused, saying that she's not allowed to remove them unless there's something wrong with the tooth. Bah.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Croatoan posted:

I've got y'all beat only because of when it needed to be done. Like squashy the top two were fine but the bottom had to be broken and taken out through the side of my jaw. Problem was they were severely impacted and the doc said they had a chance of rotting the teeth in front of them by they way they were pushing up and I needed them out soon. Problem was, this was in November and the next opening he had was in May. That is, other than one opening literally on Christmas Eve. So there I was on Christmas day with my family high as a kite, miserable and swollen. Merry Christmas to all. What kind of sadistic oral surgeon is open on Christmas eve anyway?

Then again the drugs made the Christmas tree really pretty to look at.

Not trying to play "lovely holiday olympics" with you or anything, but the occasion above where my boyfriend wouldn't take time off work to get me and etc? The only opening they had was on my birthday, 2 days before Thanksgiving.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Still have my wisdom teeth. :smugdog:

Check your Australopithecus skull privilege at the door yo

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Wisdom teeth talk. I only grew 3, but the bottom two were hella impacted. They had to come out, and at the same time, the doctor would be snipping my tongue's frenulum - that's the lil bit of skin that attaches your tongue to the bottom of the mouth (mine was too long). Opted for twilight anaesthesia. I woke up a bunch of times during the procedure, one of the times was basically like Midniter's story. Dude all up in my poo poo with godzilla-sized tooth annihilators, leveraging against the chair, gunshot-like sounds of bone cracking. Woke up again when they were stitching together my tongue, feeling about three miles of surgical string being pulled through the sutures. I don't know if it's normal for twilight anaesthesia, but it doesn't knock me out completely - I'll wake up now and again, everything feels sped up, I can actually feel pain, but I don't give a shiiiit and will generally enjoy myself while being brutalized with scary surgical tools before passing out again. It's happened every time I've been juiced with that stuff.

When I got home and had to take my first set of vicodins, my tongue was incredibly stiff from being cut up and I couldn't loving swallow them. Had to spit them out with like a pint of bloody water all over my room. By then the anaesthesia had worn off, so I had to wait like 4 loving hours until I could maneuver my tongue enough to get the vicodin down. That really sucked, but hey, extraction only has to happen once.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
This is the worst discussion.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
What, do you mean you don't like talking about the sounds of bones cracking and blood spewing everywhere?

Freak.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I got mine removed without a hitch, but apparently I woke up in the middle of mine asking the nurse, in Spanish, if she was able to find my dog. :shrug:

OmegaBeard
Sep 13, 2010
All 4 grew in, no problem, but got a cavity in the bottom right, so it had to go. The dentist told me he was taking the top one to match, to prevent uneven growth, so... ok?

Local anesthetic, pair of pliers, and 45 seconds was about all it took, and I could eat solid food with no problem in the same day. And that, the medicines, and checkups were all of $50. Oh yeah, nationalized health insurance, babies!

Oh, they presented me with the teeth, and seemed surprised that I said I didn't want to keep them. The hell, Japan?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I got mined pulled when I was 20 I think? They gave me some pills (Percocet maybe?), but they didn't knock me out. They cracked all four of my teeth. I wasn't in pain, I just heard the awful sounds and remembered wanting to fire the dental assistant because I felt my mouth filling up with blood and she was doing a horrible job with the suction thing. I then passed out at my house and when I woke up, I couldn't peel my face from the pillow because it was connected with dried blood...ugh.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

OmegaBeard posted:

Oh, they presented me with the teeth, and seemed surprised that I said I didn't want to keep them. The hell, Japan?

I have mine, two whole ones and a pile of shards. They are surprisingly large! I think some people think of them as good luck charms? I think I've kept them out of morbid curiosity.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

OmegaBeard posted:

Local anesthetic, pair of pliers, and 45 seconds was about all it took, and I could eat solid food with no problem in the same day. And that, the medicines, and checkups were all of $50. Oh yeah, nationalized health insurance, babies!

My bill was $942, with insurance! Would have been $2550 without.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Like M42- I only had 3 wisdom teeth, but they were huge and awful. I was conscious for a good minute after they declared me fully unconscious- I remember them telling my dad he could leave the room, and them strapping down my arms and legs. I ended up with crazy track marks- apparently they had to move the IV a few times since I have lovely veins. I woke up crying. Apparently that's a thing that happens sometimes. When I got home the real fun began. They told me to go ahead and take a painkiller as soon as I got the script filled, so I did. Only problem is there was nothing in my stomach and opiates make me kinda pukey. So for three days I was on a pain --> painkiller --> vomit --> pain cycle until I was so dehydrated I had to go to the ER where the Worst Nurse In The World spent what felt like three hours trying to get an IV into my lovely abused veins. A couple bags of saline and a sandwich later, I was good to go.

Life lesson: never take opiates on an empty stomach.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
I had my wisdom teeth cut out when I was 14. I had just had my braces removed, after having had them two months longer than initially planned. My orthodontist looked at my x-rays at my final appointment with them, and said "Uh, yeah, we can' t let those come in, or they'll undo all the work we just did." Cool.

My appointment was in the middle of August. I'm laying there in the little operating room, and the give me the shot to put me under, only the nurse or whoever is just standing over me looking confused. Then another nurse comes over, and the surgeon, and through the haze of what anesthesia they've managed to give me, I hear, "The needle's bent." Awesome. So they manage to get it out, and just to be safe, they give me another shot in my other arm. When I wake up in the nook they put me in, I have a nasty bruise inside my right arm. My mum helps me stagger to the car, gets my drugs from the pharmacy, sets me down on the couch with ice packs and pillows, and then takes our ailing Shar Pei to be put down. Best day ever.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Squashy Nipples posted:

I have mine, two whole ones and a pile of shards. They are surprisingly large! I think some people think of them as good luck charms? I think I've kept them out of morbid curiosity.

I kept the one of mine that wasn't disintegrated before removal. The (American) dentist seemed weirded out that I wanted to keep it and insisted on throwing it in a sterilization bag and giving it a cycle in the autoclave. I wanted to keep it because occasionally I go on archaeological digs and nothing is funnier than the face of a North American archaeologist when presented with an obviously human bone in an active excavation.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

I kept the one of mine that wasn't disintegrated before removal. The (American) dentist seemed weirded out that I wanted to keep it and insisted on throwing it in a sterilization bag and giving it a cycle in the autoclave. I wanted to keep it because occasionally I go on archaeological digs and nothing is funnier than the face of a North American archaeologist when presented with an obviously human bone in an active excavation.

That is bloody funny! (No pun intended).

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Pffft, wisdom teeth? Ya'll are lightweights. Try having ALL your teeth being in pieces and needing dug out of your gums at 23. That was fun.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

bartolimu posted:

Oh this is quality, I might have to try this next season!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I'm out of rice. HOW.

Now making dino's lemon rice with quinoa, will report.

Lemon quinoa, pretty tasty, I think. Still can't quite taste things quite right.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 23, 2014

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Now I realize what has been nagging at the corner of my mind all night...

The thread title should be A DARKER SHADE OF KALE.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Wroughtirony posted:

Now I realize what has been nagging at the corner of my mind all night...

The thread title should be A DARKER SHADE OF KALE.

fifty shades of kale

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I'm out of rice. HOW.

Now making dino's lemon rice with quinoa, will report.

Lemon quinoa, pretty tasty, I think. Still can't quite taste things quite right.

It's quite tasty, and a bit healthier than with rice. :3 You might need to bump up the lemon, because quinoa seems to suck up all the flavour from things.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I can't see the word quinoa without thinking of this.

WHAT THE HELL IS QUINOA?

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Tonight I made something inspired by, but completely unlike, Dino's lemon rice. Rice cooked with (not mixed with) thyme and lemon balm from my garden, and garlic not from my garden. It was simple and tasty.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Scientastic posted:

I can't see the word quinoa without thinking of this.

WHAT THE HELL IS QUINOA?

Hipster rice

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I heard a thing on NPR a while back about how bad quinoa actually is for the environment and south american farmers and stuff. Something about how privileged Americans "discovering" it now consume significantly more than they can produce and that this once staple cheap food source is now too sparse or expensive for the original cultures to eat. That combined with the usual international trade price fuckery and shafting along with low environmental regulation allowing people to gently caress the earth to grow more as cheaply as they can.

so yay quinoa I guess.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

esperantinc posted:

Pffft, wisdom teeth? Ya'll are lightweights. Try having ALL your teeth being in pieces and needing dug out of your gums at 23. That was fun.

Stop being such a tease and indulge me.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

contrapants posted:

Hipster rice
This is the best definition I've seen.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I heard a thing on NPR a while back about how bad quinoa actually is for the environment and south american farmers and stuff. Something about how privileged Americans "discovering" it now consume significantly more than they can produce and that this once staple cheap food source is now too sparse or expensive for the original cultures to eat. That combined with the usual international trade price fuckery and shafting along with low environmental regulation allowing people to gently caress the earth to grow more as cheaply as they can.

so yay quinoa I guess.
Yeah, it's sort of the other side of the corn coin. American corn subsidies mean it's cheaper to export corn to Mexico than it is for Mexican farmers to produce it, so local farmers can't sell their crops and starve. Meanwhile we make quinoa too expensive for Peruvian locals to buy so they starve too. Yay American agribusiness.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

esperantinc posted:

Meth: not even once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Well today I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and got the meat grinder attachment for my Kitchenaid Mixer. I then went to the store and got three types of meats (Steak rib, sirloin and chuck), as well as some onions and cheese.

Tomorrow i plan on making my own burgers with ground meat from the three varieties, and add int the onion and cheese. I may even throw in a few hunks of the bacon I made a few weeks ago.

I'm kind of excited at trying this!