Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
College basketball is a clearly inferior product but still a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think you have to have a team though, and commit to that team, because that's when I finally started finding it palatable enough to watch.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.

Declan MacManus posted:

I find it's much easier to watch if you're just scouting (and way way easier to scout than the NBA or Euroleague) and as far as two and three go I would like those things to be true

One of my teammates was from Alaska and rivals with Boozer growing up. They became pals and kept in touch in college, and I've seen him "AND ONE!" in person, it's every bit as amazing as you would think. He also only buttoned the top button of his plaid shirt when we went out that night and looked like a giant cholo.

My friend played for Xavier and I hung out with him one summer, West played dirty as gently caress in a glorified scrimmage and talked poo poo incessantly at nobody in particular. He was also incredulous that I (a 6'5 white guy) would dare challenge his shots and then (despite him playing at full intensity the entire time so far) declared "this poo poo is on." I guess that meant he was going to hit harder and hold twice as much, which is basically what he did.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Based my extensive research of watching three Parker/Wiggins/Embiid ten minute videos (the most anyone should waste on college "basketball") it looks like Wiggins should go first and it's not even close

Watching the same videos Embiid is the top pick and it's not close.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Does Wiggins profile at all like Paul George? All this talk of him being an elite defender who may not have an amazing shot sounds like paul george. I know Wiggins ceiling is higher but that early season Paul George seemed like a top 5 player which is where Wiggins should hopefully end up.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah I love Wiggins but if you told me Embiid would never have a significant injury again he's the pick. His defense is great, his offense is great, he's a competitor with a chip and he's got potential to be amazing. He's ambidextrous, he's light on his feet and he has the frame to grow. UK fans have ripped on KU fans for mentioning the word "Olajuwon" endlessly but the similarities really are glaring. His back is the only question mark. He even hits his free throws.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

uggy posted:

Does Wiggins profile at all like Paul George? All this talk of him being an elite defender who may not have an amazing shot sounds like paul george. I know Wiggins ceiling is higher but that early season Paul George seemed like a top 5 player which is where Wiggins should hopefully end up.
Yeah Paul George is a good comp imo. At the beginning of the year everyone was saying Tmac/Lebron but Paul George/Leonard got more popular towards the end of the year. I think Iggy is his realistic low-mid end comp and Paul George is a solid high-end comp.

bearic fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 23, 2014

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

Excuse the derail MV but have you seen this gem yet? College basketball is fun because of rivalries. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsRp597s-2U

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

kiimo posted:

Excuse the derail MV but have you seen this gem yet? College basketball is fun because of rivalries. Enjoy.

There's nothing I like more than rooting for a bunch of 18-21 year olds who happened to attend the same university as me.

go illini

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
Vegas odds for #1

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

I have and it is my current favorite thing in the world.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

The Glumslinger posted:

I have a couple friends on facebook who are obsessed with the Lakers taking Lavine. Yeah, a PG who can't pass and wasn't all that efficient in college. Sure sounds like a franchise savior :ughh:

I've seen a couple mocks with LaVine to the Bulls at 16. I don't get why LaVine is even sniffing the first round. The Draftexpress profile on him just screams "out of the league in 3 years."

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Zach-Lavine-Scouting-Report-and-Video-Breakdown--4443/

Negatives: Bad defender, bad passer, can't create his own shot, can't finish on the rim, only shot the ball well for a few months, likes taking long 2s, can't dribble, busted shot

Positives: He jump high; may develop something remotely resembling basketball skills in a couple years

Emanuel Collective fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 23, 2014

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

vegaji posted:

Yeah Paul George is a good comp imo. At the beginning of the year everyone was saying Tmac/Lebron but Paul George/Leonard got more popular towards the end of the year. I think Iggy is his realistic low-mid end comp and Paul George is a solid high-end comp.

Iggy's better than George, but yeah something like the super good George who played the beginning of this year except forever is the kind of thing you're hoping for.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

As a Sixers fan who should I want at 3? Embiid or Parker?

I thought Parker was the right choice at first but this thread is swaying my opinion.

This is assuming the Cavs and Bucks don't gently caress it up and pass on Wiggins.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Ty1990 posted:

I thought Parker was the right choice at first but this thread is swaying my opinion.

This is assuming the Cavs and Bucks don't gently caress it up and pass on Wiggins.

Parker is a surer thing but Embiid has a higher ceiling. If you get the chance, you should probably go Embiid. I suspect Parker will be the one available though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I want Embiid over parker. Athletic and skilled big men are so sexy.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

euphronius posted:

I want Embiid over parker. Athletic and skilled big men are so sexy.

You'd make a fine NBA GM

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Ty1990 posted:

I'm terrified about Embiid's back, but I'm not thrilled about Parker's "defense"

Wiggins

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Where would Mirotic fall if he was in this draft? I'm trying to explain to a friend why a bulls trade is the best option for the Wolves (barring Cleveland giving up the #1 pick).

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Ryen Russillo did an article on some scouts take on Embiid, Wiggins, Parker and Randle: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ryen-russillos-nba-draft-confidential-real-scouts-on-wiggins-randle-embiid-and-parker/

scout posted:

Don’t trust his shot or his ball skills. Can’t go left. There is no “gently caress you” to him. Kobe’s like, “gently caress you, I’m better than you.” Where was that? I think he is a content player.

Does Jabari Parker have enough "DEEZ NUTS" in his game?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

IcePhoenix posted:

Where would Mirotic fall if he was in this draft? I'm trying to explain to a friend why a bulls trade is the best option for the Wolves (barring Cleveland giving up the #1 pick).

He still hasn't made a commitment, so probably middle somewhere. I'm not sure if the Bulls are a good partner unless they include Butler.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

He still hasn't made a commitment, so probably middle somewhere. I'm not sure if the Bulls are a good partner unless they include Butler.

If he were to commit, then. I'm trying to explain his talent compared to the rest of this draft.

And my argument is that they should shoot for taj/mirotic/the two firsts but I don't know how realitic that is.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

IcePhoenix posted:

If he were to commit, then. I'm trying to explain his talent compared to the rest of this draft.

Mirotic is widely considered to be a better prospect than Dario Saric, and Saric is a likely top 10 pick. Mirotic wouldn't sniff the top 3 in this class and probably shouldn't be above Randle or Exum, but he's in that next tier of guys like Smart, Vonleh, and Gordon

IcePhoenix posted:

And my argument is that they should shoot for taj/mirotic/the two firsts but I don't know how realitic that is.

I would love this trade as a Bulls fan but it feels like a pretty weak haul for Minnesota. Even in this loaded draft, you probably aren't picking any all stars with the 16th and 19th picks. Then again, that's a better offer than the Lakers or Celtics can give

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MourningView posted:

I think this is why it's fun.

The NBA is 5 superhuman monsters dunking from the free throw line with the strength of 30 men

College Basketball is 5 goofy nerds jacking up contested threes

They're both entertaining in their own way. Alternately, you can watch the Detroit Pistons and see how the college basketball style translates to the pros.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Celtics can give a shitload of picks which might be interesting, but I wouldn't move Love for anything short of a top-3 pick to start. Taj/Mirotic/2 middle firsts is weak I think, remember Taj makes 8 mil next year, which is still a deal but not incredible. Taj/Butler/Mirotic/Picks and I'd probably pull the trigger.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

Celtics can give a shitload of picks which might be interesting, but I wouldn't move Love for anything short of a top-3 pick to start. Taj/Mirotic/2 middle firsts is weak I think, remember Taj makes 8 mil next year, which is still a deal but not incredible. Taj/Butler/Mirotic/Picks and I'd probably pull the trigger.

The Celtics I'm definitely interested in if they give us the Brooklyn picks because I expect those to be good. I don't know if they're protected though. The sixth pick this year would give a good player as well I would assume.

I don't think Taj is a star or anything but he's a good player on both ends. I just remember hearing that Mirotic has a ton of potential and that's what I want from any trade the Wolves make. At least one player with a lot of potential and pieces to build a team around them. If Mirotic is in that 6-10 tier of guys then getting him, two picks in the teens, and Taj Gibson fits that profile. Butler can come too.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

IcePhoenix posted:

The Celtics I'm definitely interested in if they give us the Brooklyn picks because I expect those to be good. I don't know if they're protected though. The sixth pick this year would give a good player as well I would assume.

I don't think Taj is a star or anything but he's a good player on both ends. I just remember hearing that Mirotic has a ton of potential and that's what I want from any trade the Wolves make. At least one player with a lot of potential and pieces to build a team around them. If Mirotic is in that 6-10 tier of guys then getting him, two picks in the teens, and Taj Gibson fits that profile. Butler can come too.

Mirotic does have potential to be a very good player, but he's only 2 years younger than Love. You wouldn't be getting a raw, talented teenager

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Emanuel Collective posted:

Mirotic does have potential to be a very good player, but he's only 2 years younger than Love. You wouldn't be getting a raw, talented teenager

I don't think anyone outside the top five (probably the top three) has the potential to be as good as Love and I'm not sure being 23 is that big a deal. Feel free to tell me why I'm wrong though because I'm out of my element here (not sarcasm).

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Rick posted:

I think you have to have a team though, and commit to that team, because that's when I finally started finding it palatable enough to watch.

Yeah, it's a different dish and it helps to have that connection. Yeah, the product might be better in the NBA, but I'll never give a poo poo about the Timberwolves as much as the school I went to in the city I live in and run into dudes from the team all the time. Also I get to watch a team that makes raining buckets look easy so that makes the sport even easier to watch.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rewatching some Jabari youtubes. My god is his defense bad. His O game is so enticing though.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

The picks they have from Brooklyn are completely unprotected, as far as I can tell. The only problem with them in terms of trade value is that they're 2016 and 2018 picks, which may not be of much interest to the Wolves. The Celtics also the Clippers' first rounder next year from the Doc Rivers trade and the ability to swap picks with the Nets in 2017, though I don't know if they're able to trade that right or not. They don't have much in the way of young talent on their roster to offer either; I think Sullinger has the potential to be a solid starter but isn't star caliber. Boston would probably try to sell Minnesota on Kelly Olynyk's potential and hope they don't notice that he's a low ceiling guy who doesn't play any defense.

It'll be interesting to see if how the Dwight Howard deal ended up shaking out will have any effect on what teams are willing to offer to facilitate a Love trade. The changes to the CBA that make max extensions so unattractive means that any team that trades for him is, at best, only going to get a non-binding under the table assurance from Love's camp that he'll re-sign once he hits the open market.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Mr. Onslaught posted:

One of my teammates was from Alaska and rivals with Boozer growing up. They became pals and kept in touch in college, and I've seen him "AND ONE!" in person, it's every bit as amazing as you would think. He also only buttoned the top button of his plaid shirt when we went out that night and looked like a giant cholo.

My friend played for Xavier and I hung out with him one summer, West played dirty as gently caress in a glorified scrimmage and talked poo poo incessantly at nobody in particular. He was also incredulous that I (a 6'5 white guy) would dare challenge his shots and then (despite him playing at full intensity the entire time so far) declared "this poo poo is on." I guess that meant he was going to hit harder and hold twice as much, which is basically what he did.

MourningView posted:

poo poo talking owns and is the best thing about playing sports

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Here's Dario Saric dropping 36 points. Suddenly interested.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Saric is a legit prospect and the only real knock on him is that he probably won't be coming overseas right away. Also his mess rear end teeth

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
hosed up teeth are a good thing, see James Harden, Anthony Davis.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Declan MacManus posted:

Saric is a legit prospect and the only real knock on him is that he probably won't be coming overseas right away. Also his mess rear end teeth

His dad is apparently too controlling and doesn't want him to come to the NBA yet.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Spacebump posted:

His dad is apparently too controlling and doesn't want him to come to the NBA yet.

So the other knock on him is when he turns into Todd Marinovich.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Declan MacManus posted:

REAL MAD Dallas couldn't draft him last year. Tho Shane Larkin or young El Debarge as I like to call him may have something

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

commy gun posted:

Ryen Russillo did an article on some scouts take on Embiid, Wiggins, Parker and Randle: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ryen-russillos-nba-draft-confidential-real-scouts-on-wiggins-randle-embiid-and-parker/

Does Jabari Parker have enough "DEEZ NUTS" in his game?

"Scout 1" who is apparently an NBA GM who is probably Danny Ainge or something sounds like a big dumbass in that article who's just regurgitating media narratives. I always assume anonymous league GMs who contribute to these articles are the terrible ones anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Ryan McPoyle over there oughta suit up next to Charlie Day lookin' Josh McRoberts and maybe Marc Gasol can become Fat Mac.

• Locked thread