Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Capacitor posted:

I'm going to be meeting Jim next week when he wanders by Seattle, so if you have any pressing questions I'll blatantly ignore them see what I can do.

Wait wait wait wait wait.

What?
Where and when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I'm going to be meeting Jim next week when he wanders by Seattle, so if you have any pressing questions I'll blatantly ignore them see what I can do.

Ask him if Hades is a distinct entity from Lucifer.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

In Ghost Story there was mention that Bob can now access the Internet from inside his skull, but I don't remember any further mention of it after that. Will Bob become a Siri-like figure, Googling stuff at Harry's command, or was the whole idea that a spirit of intellect can somehow get DSL in his spirit-apartment-that's-inside-a-skull (is it a demesne?) deemed too silly? I'm cool with either honestly.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

keiran_helcyan posted:

The Sword of Truth is the worst thing ever written by a human being. It's a poo poo sandwich of awful prose, rape fetish, and Ayn Rand wank.
The tv show was pretty ok, in a campy sort of way.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nihilarian posted:

The tv show was pretty ok, in a campy sort of way.

Speaking of TV shows I love it that Paul Blackthorne (Harry from the TV show) has a constant role on Arrow because I really liked him in the series even if the rest of the show was kind of weak.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Can't wait until Tuesday!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

computer parts posted:

Speaking of TV shows I love it that Paul Blackthorne (Harry from the TV show) has a constant role on Arrow because I really liked him in the series even if the rest of the show was kind of weak.

I liked the show in general, even if some of the acting wasn't up to snuff. Liked it enough to watch through the episodes a few times. I wish they'd do more, although I think they'd have to change the format a bit. I think it could have been great if they did it in a more serial fashion, so you'd have 6 episodes or so in a row which cover a single book, give up on the idea of each episode standing alone.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

SolTerrasa posted:

Wait wait wait wait wait.

What?
Where and when?

I've already ordered an autographed copy.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Ask him if the Lance of Longinus/Spear of Destiny has any special powers or mantle associated with it, similar to the Swords of the Cross and the Knight mantle.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

I'm going to his Portland Signing/reading. I normally just get audiobooks (already preordered it on audible), so if the store will let me I'm gonna try to get my copy of Wizard At Large signed and not get hardcover copy of Skin Game.

If I have time, I'll probably print out a few of my Grave Peril booklets and give them to people that ask me for em. Also on that note I think I'll have time to draw the Summer Knight characters in August.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

That'd be great KellHound, I know I really loved your Grave Peril pictures, especially the one with Harry and Michael dressed for the Masquerade. Actually I was curious if you're allowed to give him anything at signings, like art you've done, or if that's frowned on/not allowed.

I'm going to get to meet him at Phoenix Comicon on June 5th. :3: I'm really excited!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ask him if the White Court was at all inspired by Varney the Vampire.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

mistaya posted:

That'd be great KellHound, I know I really loved your Grave Peril pictures, especially the one with Harry and Michael dressed for the Masquerade. Actually I was curious if you're allowed to give him anything at signings, like art you've done, or if that's frowned on/not allowed.

I'm going to get to meet him at Phoenix Comicon on June 5th. :3: I'm really excited!

Oh I gave him a copy of the booklet at SDCC last year. :3

Pricilla who runs his website and writes all those news posts brought him over to my small press table. I gave him a booklet and then he bought my book that is about demon gangsters. Jim Butcher was cosplaying the main character of Big Trouble in Little China. I took a picture https://twitter.com/kellhound/status/358311860694568960

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
Are we going to have a goon gathering before/at/after the Seattle signing? It is on a Friday after all.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
I'd put the Ravirn books in the light and easy past-times between bigger series along with Iron Druid.

Theyre entertaining, even if they are light/campy (sometimes comic book-style).

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

DJ_Ferret posted:

Are we going to have a goon gathering before/at/after the Seattle signing? It is on a Friday after all.

I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Now I just need to figure out how to present the crazy numbers I've been coming up with. I should build a character concurrency diagram, too.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Oh boy oh boy oh boy. I didn't even notice there was a new book coming up until I noticed the old thread that I'd bookmarked had closed! Time to reread Cold Days to refresh myself for the 27th :)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

KellHound posted:

I'm going to his Portland Signing/reading. I normally just get audiobooks (already preordered it on audible), so if the store will let me I'm gonna try to get my copy of Wizard At Large signed and not get hardcover copy of Skin Game.

Be sure to buy something, even if it isn't Butcher's book.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

At another signing he said there are seven vampire courts in total. Ask him what the names of the three we haven't heard of are, where they're from? Maybe even how they feed?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

-Fish- posted:

At another signing he said there are seven vampire courts in total. Ask him what the names of the three we haven't heard of are, where they're from? Maybe even how they feed?

All we currently know is the bonus three are apparently really wimpy... hopefully he'd give a bit more than that.

Shoreleave
Jun 6, 2008
The 27th cannot arrive fast enough, time for a medically induced coma?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Logan 5 posted:

Oh boy oh boy oh boy. I didn't even notice there was a new book coming up until I noticed the old thread that I'd bookmarked had closed! Time to reread Cold Days to refresh myself for the 27th :)

You lucky dog. I don't even know where I'm going to pick up my copy on the 27th. Curse all my local bookstores going out of business.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Taran_Wanderer posted:

You lucky dog. I don't even know where I'm going to pick up my copy on the 27th. Curse all my local bookstores going out of business.

Probably just going to by the ebook version, my Nook has revolutionized my reading habits and I no longer have half a ton of books taking up space.

I also really wish it was the 27th, London Falling is pretty decent so far but I want more Dresden, damnit.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Yeah I'd probably have been active in the last thread if it wasnt for the fact that doing that would just make me yearn for the next book, which we all know happens as soon as we finish reading the latest one. This way its a super great surprise!

I own physical copies of everything else except Cold Days. My Dresden collection is much like harry himself, odd, mostly beat-up, and goony. I read the first one by accident, it was a library discard with its cover missing, and while I remember being pleasantly surprised by it, it still seemed cheesy and I thought it was a one-off. Years later I ended up with a pile of books from a closing Waldenbooks (owned by Borders iirc), one of which was a copy of White Night hardcover for 30 goddamn cents. Got hooked after that.

Already preordered the kindle version with some amazon credit I had laying around :D

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Amazon usually has same-day shipping if you preorder it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just finished up my reread of Cold Days, and I gotta ask, anyone notice that Harry is now dropping F-bombs like crazy now that he's the winter knight?

It just struck me as odd. Don't recall reading that many of them in the earlier books, and now it seems like there's quite a few more of em.

Way less Hell's Bells though, which, I guess is a better thing cause man that always sounded kinda dumb to me.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Just finished up my reread of Cold Days, and I gotta ask, anyone notice that Harry is now dropping F-bombs like crazy now that he's the winter knight?

I chalked that up as a manifestaion of the mantle on him. Sort of like all the sneaky rapey fantasies.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It just struck me as odd. Don't recall reading that many of them in the earlier books, and now it seems like there's quite a few more of em.

Way less Hell's Bells though, which, I guess is a better thing cause man that always sounded kinda dumb to me.

There were only a couple Fbombs in Cold Days, but yeah, before that, there had only been a few in the whole series.

Hell's Bells is an actual curse used by actual people, by the way. I've an uncle that says it all the time. It's not made up.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

WarLocke posted:

I chalked that up as a manifestaion of the mantle on him. Sort of like all the sneaky rapey fantasies.

Yep. The mantle seems to be trying to make him more aggressive, crude, vulgar. And it seems to be doing that in ways ranging from really obvious (rapey fantasies/desires) to fairly subtle (more F-bombs, talking back more to Mab). Butcher is doing a pretty good job with that I think, and I wonder if Harry will ever realize the extent of how it's been influencing him. Probably when it comes time to drop the mantle, and he's conflicted over whether he should get rid of it or keep the power.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Hell's Bells is an actual curse used by actual people, by the way. I've an uncle that says it all the time. It's not made up.

I say it too. It's a good one when you're frustrated but "gently caress" just doesn't fit.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I've been listening to all the audio books as a refresher and I'm noticing that I really enjoy all the stuff with the White Court more now that I'm not struggling to keep 1000 different characters straight. My first read I remember I got totally lost in Proven Guilty(?) when Raith, Skavis, and Malvora all were involved, and I had forgotten who Madrigal even was. This time I'm really enjoying all of their politics, and Lara is a pretty awesome character.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Ask him if since the formor are back does that mean we will be seeing the Dagdah and other Members of the Tuatha Dé Danann?

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

I noticed the F bombs pick up during the books that Harry was throwing around Hellfire, and then ease up after Lash was gone. Seems like a good indicator that his aggression is dialed up.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

ConfusedUs posted:

... That's actually pretty cool! :haw:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thyrork posted:

... That's actually pretty cool! :haw:

Yeah it's short for "Hell's bells and buckets of blood" which is an old British curse.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

You should ask him if he is ever gonna bring bigfoot back.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Stealthgerbil posted:

You should ask him if he is ever gonna bring bigfoot back.

Do it to music.

You bringing Bigfoot back?
Them other authors don't know how to act.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
I went to use my Kindle for the first time in a couple of months to get it ready for Tuesday....and it's completely dead. I don't even know what to do now...guess I have to buy a hard copy. Does anyone know if you can switch a kindle preorder to a physical one?

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Oroborus posted:

I went to use my Kindle for the first time in a couple of months to get it ready for Tuesday....and it's completely dead. I don't even know what to do now...guess I have to buy a hard copy. Does anyone know if you can switch a kindle preorder to a physical one?

Do you have a tablet or smartphone? Android and iOS have really good Kindle apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Oroborus posted:

I have no idea how to switch it, but cancelling it probably won't be a problem, don't think you're charged until the 27th anyway. If for some strange reason you have the worst luck in the world and you can't cancel and support won't help you (both very unlikely), you can read it directly from your amazon account in a browser with their cloud reader.