Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Liar Lyre posted:

Studio doesn't matter that much. Yeah, they will influence the production a bit, but I don't think Lionsgate is a strict studio. You should be waiting to see who is writing and directing. I have no idea who I'd want for a Power Rangers movie. I just hope whoever it is takes it somewhat serious.

I would sacrifice offspring to see a Sentai by Guilermo Del Toro. It's never gonna happen obviously, but it would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm pulling for Wes Anderson.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I know it won't happen but Edgar Wright is made for this kind of movie.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
No idea who they'll pick, but whoever they do, I hope its someone who'd be willing to do Star Trek 2 esque prep work, and watch as much of the series as they can. Yes, even the crap or uninspired stuff, so they can see what has and hasn't been done, and subsequently, whether those worked or not. The franchise does not begin and end with MMPR, sizable as it already is, and it'd be shame for it to be ignored just because of nostalgia.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm pulling for Wes Anderson.

We'll probably get Paul WS Anderson :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The closer we get to the Legend War stuff in Super Megaforce, the more hopeful I feel. Jason David Frank keeps hyping it up on his Facebook. I'm really hoping it'll be a case of the actors caring enough to salvage a production that the behind-the-camera staff didn't give much of a gently caress about.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

We'll probably get Paul WS Anderson :(

Be really daring and they get Paul T Anderson

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
After checking out Godzilla on the weekend and refreshing myself on Legendary's other releases, I'm feeling kind of optimistic about a Power Rangers movie.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

After checking out Godzilla on the weekend and refreshing myself on Legendary's other releases, I'm feeling kind of optimistic about a Power Rangers movie.

Not to be a buzzkill, but Legendary isn't involved. Lionsgate is.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Cliff Racer posted:

Hunger Games turned out good right? That gives me a little bit of faith I guess.

Hunger Games turned out successful. There's a difference.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

OZC posted:

Not to be a buzzkill, but Legendary isn't involved. Lionsgate is.

Well poo poo.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Reposting from the PYF Funny Pictures thread. Netflix summaries are glitching in some excellent ways at the moment.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Reposting from the PYF Funny Pictures thread. Netflix summaries are glitching in some excellent ways at the moment.

That's the best loving way to save christmas.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That's the best loving way to save christmas.
Goooooookaaiiiiii :byodood: SUPER MEGAFORCE :byodood: CHRISTMAS~~~~~~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_wyqMj15Os

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of Christmas, I watched Zeo A Season To Remember.

Horray racism and awful boring bullshit.

Why do all of the Christmas specials suck all of the rear end?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Burkion posted:

Speaking of Christmas, I watched Zeo A Season To Remember.

Horray racism and awful boring bullshit.

Why do all of the Christmas specials suck all of the rear end?

I don't know, but they really do. Roboknight Before Christmas is one of the worst things I've ever watched.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I don't know, but they really do. Roboknight Before Christmas is one of the worst things I've ever watched.

Blasphemy!! That's the best drat thing I've seen. He goes to Africa! AFRICA!!!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They should just make it a metamovie, with the premise being these five actors are on a cheap kids show where they play superheroes, lots of comedy stuff with how cheap it is and jokes at their expense, then it goes all Galaxy Quest and they have to really be superheroes.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

greatn posted:

They should just make it a metamovie, with the premise being these five actors are on a cheap kids show where they play superheroes, lots of comedy stuff with how cheap it is and jokes at their expense, then it goes all Galaxy Quest and they have to really be superheroes.

Don't get my hopes up for something that likely won't happen.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

greatn posted:

I would literally sacrifice an organ or two to make that happen. Maybe even my firstborn. Anyone know how to make a dark pact with lucifer to make something like this happen?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

I love the idea, but I think pitching that would fail because there already was a Galaxy Quest. Are the jokes really that different between Star Trek and Power Rangers, in this case? Both are goofy, cheap-looking serials with an underlying positive message. Also, gently caress you because now I want this movie to happen, and I'm going to have to watch Galaxy Quest again.

But thinking along the Hypothetical Power Ranger Movie Ideas That Would Never Happen: "Four years ago, we were the Power Rangers. Then, we finally fought off Zarlox The Destroyermon. Parades, cheers, the ability to use the Megazord to score chicks, you name it. But now people just look at us and ask us what have we done recently for them. So we've agreed to do something our Mentor would hate if he were still around: find Zarlox and ask him to fake a new invasion. He's a magician, right? What could possibly go wrong?"

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 2, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Maybe they can snag the Neo-Griforzer suit off Toei. That thing deserves better than to be shown for five minutes in Kyouryuuger vs Go-Busters Abaranger and Zyuranger.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

MisterBibs posted:

But thinking along the Hypothetical Power Ranger Movie Ideas That Would Never Happen: "Four years ago, we were the Power Rangers. Then, we finally fought off Zarlox The Destroyermon. Parades, cheers, the ability to use the Megazord to score chicks, you name it. But now people just look at us and ask us what have we done recently for them. So we've agreed to do something our Mentor would hate if he were still around: find Zarlox and ask him to fake a new invasion. He's a magician, right? What could possibly go wrong?"

Isn't that the majority of Ghostbusters 2, though?

I want to see "Zordon" captured by a government agency, the Power Rangers fight off an alien invasion, and free Zordon, only to have him desert them with indifference as the next threat comes calling.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Maybe they can snag the Neo-Griforzer suit off Toei. That thing deserves better than to be shown for five minutes in Kyouryuuger vs Go-Busters Abaranger and Zyuranger.

Really? I thought it stunk, I'd have much rather had a rebuild of the original.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Is it true that the original Red Ranger was Native American, or was it just "expanding" on the Yellow/Asian, Black/Black Ranger thing?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Jetfire posted:

Is it true that the original Red Ranger was Native American, or was it just "expanding" on the Yellow/Asian, Black/Black Ranger thing?

Don't thinks so, but there is a big plot point in Zeo about the red ranger, Tommy Oliver, being Native American. It's all very stereotypical. IF YOU WANT TO LEARN MORE LISTEN TO MY PODCAST PODCASTERS WITH ATTITUDE. Yeah, it's a shameless plug, but we are in the thick of reviewing Zeo.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

According to some stuff JDF has said here and there, Tommy's brother (who was also JDF's brother) was supposed to become the Gold Ranger. I think that might have been cool, but having Jason come back was pretty rad, too.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Liar Lyre posted:

Don't thinks so, but there is a big plot point in Zeo about the red ranger, Tommy Oliver, being Native American. It's all very stereotypical. IF YOU WANT TO LEARN MORE LISTEN TO MY PODCAST PODCASTERS WITH ATTITUDE. Yeah, it's a shameless plug, but we are in the thick of reviewing Zeo.

Looooots of racism.

Both the 'positive' and regular kinds!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Inkspot posted:

Isn't that the majority of Ghostbusters 2, though?

Kinda, but as I said in the Ghostbusters thread, I think 2's soft reset would've been a lot more palatable if the people were "Yeah you saved the world, but that was years ago, god" instead of "GHOSTS DON'T EXIST DUH".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

Looooots of racism.

Both the 'positive' and regular kinds!

Burk, you're gonna get us on some kind of watch list.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
So here's an interesting tidbit on the upcoming cameo appearences in Super Megaforce that I don't think anyone mentioned before. This is from an interview with Cerina Vincent (the yellow Galaxy ranger):

quote:

Some of the Japanese series cast have been reuniting and doing movie specials 10 years later. This year mark’s the 15th anniversary of Lost Galaxy. If you were invited back to do a reunion special, would you return to Power Rangers?

Absolutely, I would return. They invited me back to do the reunion episode of the big…..

Super Megaforce…

Yeah… and I said yes, but the show is non-union now and as an union actor, you can’t do non-union work without getting in trouble. So it would have cost me – I would have had to pay SAG (Screen Actors Guild) money in penalty in order to do the job. So I asked Power Rangers if they would cover those costs/fees and I would love to come back and do it… but they said no. So, I think everybody that went back to do it… they’d be okay with the union but I think some people who went back to do it aren’t necessarily working as an actor all the time now. It was different for everyone but that’s why they didn’t do it. But if they asked me again, I would say yes again and hope they would play by the union rules.

So there's your big wrench in the plans. I have to imagine that plenty of former rangers are probably still active and in SAG and weren't willing to pay penalties.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My google-fu is really weak, but I vaguely remember reading at some point that the union-person-working-non-union was either pretty cheap or really expensive.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So we got some news today on Dino Charge:

http://blog.samuraicast.com/power-rangers-dino-charge-brand-poster-licensing-expo/

I'm actually mildly hopeful given they're sticking with the alien bounty hunter angle.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Astro Nut posted:

So we got some news today on Dino Charge:

http://blog.samuraicast.com/power-rangers-dino-charge-brand-poster-licensing-expo/

I'm actually mildly hopeful given they're sticking with the alien bounty hunter angle.

But they're clearly not gems. They're not clearly batteries either, but still? :psyduck:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

They certainly couldn't have kept Deboss. They're incredibly dumb.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

SpazmasterX posted:

But they're clearly not gems. They're not clearly batteries either, but still? :psyduck:

The batteries harness the Energems, duh!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

I was looking forward to the Statue of Liberty being the villain, though!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

You can get your wrong opinions clear of my thread, bub.

But yeah, I'm not really all that optimistic for Dino Charge...the Mega/SuperMega hybrid adaptation was handled in such a slapdash and lazy manner, plus just the general childishness of recent seasons overall...I think Saban has just decided to market straight to small children and not try to do a quasi-all-ages thing like the older seasons.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have some hope about it. Mind you they could be for naught, but hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

jivjov posted:

You can get your wrong opinions clear of my thread, bub.

Keep smiling!