Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Tirranek posted:

It's just weird because saying 'limey' and 'redcoats' isn't exactly insulting. It's like going 'Haha! Look at you dumbasses with your lack of scurvy.'

In all fairness, limes didn't do much for scurvy; it was lemons the sailors should have been eating. The British just didn't understand the difference between the two fruits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Do you guys think Mance will get to the wall anytime soon?

He decided to go on a trip to wherever Gendry has been rowing.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

He decided to go on a trip to wherever Gendry has been rowing.

Then they meet up with Rickon Stark, hijinks ensue.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
Mance, Gendry and Benjen are all chilling up north eating snowcones.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Mance was scared to attack the wall when Karl Fookin Tanner, the legend of Gin Alley was about. Now that he's dead all bets are off.

Shut up and JAM!
Sep 3, 2011

Xealot posted:

It's possible for people to make inferences about plot events without having read the books. This isn't a complex Swiss watch of a series.

On a similar note,I feel like GRRM is gonna have Bran warg into dragons at some point. What's better than fantasy monsters and fantasy mind control powers? Using fantasy mind control powers to control fantasy monsters!

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

bobjr posted:

Mance was scared to attack the wall when Karl Fookin Tanner, the legend of Gin Alley was about. Now that he's dead all bets are off.

Climbing it looked to be a huge hassle when Tormund and the gang did it, plus the Watch could just shoot their asses off from the top, which makes the tunnel the only logical place to attack.

Too bad Thorne refuses to seal it. I hope they at least turn it into a murderhole.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Red posted:

The first one cast really was ideal. I really can't understand why they didn't bring him back - he was thrilled to be cast.
They should have brought the first one back this season. It was a bad/stubborn seeming choice to not get him for season 4. He even looked 'related enough' to be the brother of The Hound (and the older one for that matter...).

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Neowyrm posted:

And now you've told all of us, too, so thanks, guy

I didn't say what it was or any information about it so it's not like I ruined anything for those who didn't know.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I didn't say what it was or any information about it so it's not like I ruined anything for those who didn't know.
I'm not talking about you specifically, but people who have read the books often underestimate the deductive skills of people to whom they're speaking and don't realize how much they're revealing.

I haven't read the books because I want to enjoy the show, and know I won't if it's different from how I imagined it while reading the books, so I'll read them after the show's over so I can enjoy both.

My wife has read them, and will accidentally spoil me all the time and it drives me nuts.

In the middle of Season 1, I said that I really liked Kat Stark. She said that I'd like Season 2. So every time Kat was put in danger for the rest of Season 1, I knew she'd be fine, since I now knew she survived until the second book.

I really don't understand why anybody who has read the books would want to post here except to feel the smug superiority of knowing something we don't. There's a book thread and a spoiler thread here in TVIV. I totally get wanting to read what we dumbshit non-readers are speculating, but I don't get wanting to add to the conversation.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I have to imagine marching this army of his is worse than herding cats. At least cats don't often get pissed off, murder, and eat each other.

I know this was a while ago, but man, it's pretty obvious you've never had cats.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

I totally get wanting to read what we dumbshit non-readers are speculating, but I don't get wanting to add to the conversation.
Since no TV show watcher raises questions that book readers aren't well-suited to answer, don't spoil anything (details the show sidelines due to time or storytelling constraints), and might even be interesting to know for someone not interested in reading thousands of pages.

Also, there's less :qqsay: about the show differing from the books. Some deviations are good, some are bad: neither is enjoyable to read :spergin: about.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Neowyrm posted:

I know this was a while ago, but man, it's pretty obvious you've never had cats.

Often.

My cats have never gone as far as cannibalism, at least.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet
And this whole time Gendry is still rowing.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Gendry's gonna be buffer than the Mountain when he reappears on the show.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I hope he comes back with ridiculous tales about fighting krakens or something from his tiny boat but no one believes him.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Who needs Gendry when we had Hot Pie this episode, the superior Arya party member?

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

marktheando posted:

Who needs Gendry when we had Hot Pie this episode, the superior Arya party member?

Yeah didn't expect to see him again at all after the farewell scene last season, the actor got a lot taller in the past year too.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

ProfessorGroove posted:

Yeah didn't expect to see him again at all after the farewell scene last season, the actor got a lot taller in the past year too.

His acting is very underrated, too.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Shadow posted:

She's the rightful heir to Winterfell. I don't really understand how Roose Bolton could be given dominion over land on the one hand, and Tywin talking about Sansa's children inheriting Winterfel with Tyrion being Regent until that happens.

Which is it? Am I mixing up timelines?

It's the same thing that happened in the riverlands. Tywin put Harrenhall as supreme over the riverlands, and gave it to Baelish. So whoever ends up with riverrun just has that place, is not lord over the riverlands. Just the same, Tywin moved the control over the North to the Boltons. He intends for Sansa and Tyrion to take winterfell back and probably for them to reclaim the north from Bolton using the stark name as leverage. As Roose says this season, being given the post of Warden of the North is a lot easier than actually claiming it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

I can't tell if being played by 3 different dudes means Mountain is more likely or less likely to die

The Mountain should be played like that Heineken commercial with the bearded stowaway(s), where it's a different guy every time the captain turns around.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

pigdog posted:

His acting is very underrated, too.

So is his gravy.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

rypakal posted:

It's the same thing that happened in the riverlands. Tywin put Harrenhall as supreme over the riverlands, and gave it to Baelish. So whoever ends up with riverrun just has that place, is not lord over the riverlands. Just the same, Tywin moved the control over the North to the Boltons. He intends for Sansa and Tyrion to take winterfell back and probably for them to reclaim the north from Bolton using the stark name as leverage. As Roose says this season, being given the post of Warden of the North is a lot easier than actually claiming it.

I just wanna see Sansa have a wild sex scene. Shes been married or betrothed how many times now? And never gets any booty. Meanwhile...Denaerys

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

LividLiquid posted:

I really don't understand why anybody who has read the books would want to post here except to feel the smug superiority of knowing something we don't. There's a book thread and a spoiler thread here in TVIV. I totally get wanting to read what we dumbshit non-readers are speculating, but I don't get wanting to add to the conversation.

Some of us haven't read the books recently enough to really have a decent discussion about much of anything in the spoiler thread, for one thing. Also, most people aren't so pathologically afraid of tiny spoilers as people in this thread, and on the internet in general. Lots of my non-book-reading friends wanted me to spoil Joffrey's death for them, just so they knew the little prick gets it eventually. Now, obviously for people that do care about that, it's a big deal, but inadvertently spoiling one tiny, tiny plot point that's already spoiled by episode titles really shouldn't be a big deal.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hot Pie's appearance was awesome both as a callback to earlier events and as a significant event to drive the plot forward.

It would have been awesome as something in a computer adventure game:

You stop at the inn.

While you are waiting to order, the cook comes out to speak with you.

("Oh hey it's this comic relief guy from Arya's Road To The Wall Adventures from before.")

(Mind numbing dialogue about gravy and pie ensues)

The cook asks, "who might you be looking for out here, anyway?"

(You choose "Sansa Stark" dialogue option)

Hot Pie appears shaken. "Them Starks from Winterhell? Ain't seen none of them!" He leaves in a hurry.

(Well that was worthwhile.)

You leave the inn with Podrick. Upon which Hot Pie reappears with an item and some dialogue that opens up the next level of the game:

You take the Wolfbread. (Wolfbread added to inventory)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I wouldn't assume that I'd find Arya before the bread went stale, I'd just eat the bread.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Spoiling minor plot points that don't take away from the main story is definitely not a huge deal. It's just that it becomes a slippery slope when defining which are "acceptable" and which aren't.

The true issue I think people in this thread have are that there are just too many idiots that take sick pleasure in spoiling poo poo for others. It's a really terrible quality to have, even though at the end of the day, it's not a life or death situation. It's just a sign of being an rear end in a top hat.

I have some European friends that are notorious for spoiling movies. Though for them it's seemingly unintentional or cultural perhaps. They'll tell you about some great movie they just saw at the theater and proceed to explain in detail all of the twists and outcomes, while you sit there and explain to them that they've now taken the appeal to watch the movie away. A movie or show is about the journey more than the destination. But when the destination is spoiled, it makes the journey less of a pull.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

No More Heroes posted:

I just wanna see Sansa have a wild sex scene. Shes been married or betrothed how many times now? And never gets any booty. Meanwhile...Denaerys

Are we requesting sex scenes? I want one with Nana Tyrell/Tywin and also would like Oberyn to reveal that his hate for the Mountain was actually just sexual tension.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

LividLiquid posted:

I'm here because I enjoy the show, and the show is not the books. A lot of stuff is different and I'm as clueless about a lot of these things as you guys are. There's no "smug superiority", at least not in my case. I genuinely enjoy the show and don't necessarily want to talk about the just books or how the show is different from the books or whatever.

It's not hard to avoid posting about poo poo that hasn't happened yet. Yeah I'm sure there's a lot of smug idiots here but a lot of us just like the show and want to talk about it.

e: it's also nice to be able to clarify or explain stuff that isn't made clear on the show, ie "what happens if a person loses a trial by combat" and so on.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

the kawaiiest posted:

I'm here because I enjoy the show, and the show is not the books. A lot of stuff is different and I'm as clueless about a lot of these things as you guys are. There's no "smug superiority", at least not in my case. I genuinely enjoy the show and don't necessarily want to talk about the just books or how the show is different from the books or whatever.

It's not hard to avoid posting about poo poo that hasn't happened yet. Yeah I'm sure there's a lot of smug idiots here but a lot of us just like the show and want to talk about it.

e: it's also nice to be able to clarify or explain stuff that isn't made clear on the show, ie "what happens if a person loses a trial by combat" and so on.

All of this, definitely. The show is just as awesome if you're someone who's read all of the books unless you're a crazyperson.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

No More Heroes posted:

I don't think the actress is even 18 yet dude.

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004

marktheando posted:

I don't think the actress is even 18 yet dude.

She is, she's ready to rock.

I want a Margaery / Ramsay boning session.

Cersei and Mance Rayder.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Ugly John posted:

The show is just as awesome if you're someone who's read all of the books unless you're a crazyperson.

That's a nice opinion.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How much time has elapsed since Ned went to King's Landing? It feels like mere months.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Stonefish posted:

That's a nice opinion.

Thanks! I thought so too.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

the posted:

How much time has elapsed since Ned went to King's Landing? It feels like mere months.

Each season is about a year.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

the posted:

In the first episode, Sansa gave her age as 13. Last season, when she married Tyrion, she said she was 14.

So under two years, but probably more than one.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I don't know if the writers are quite sure about how much time they want to have passed. This season Littlefinger said that Sansa was tormented by Joffrey for "years".

It's definitely not a few months. Dany went through most of a pregnancy over the course of S1.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 23, 2014

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Tenebrais posted:

In the first episode, Sansa gave her age as 13. Last season, when she married Tyrion, she said she was 14.

So under two years, but probably more than one.

I assume that was a mistake, as that doesn't really make sense, since if you add up Dany and Gilly's pregnancies season one to three has to be significantly more than 18 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lycus posted:

I don't know if the writers are quite sure about how much time they want to have passed. This season Littlefinger said that Sansa was tormented by Joffrey for "years".

It's definitely not a few months. Dany went through most of a pregnancy over the course of S1.

From what I understand, different parts of this season happen in different books. Could that have an effect?

• Locked thread