Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

marktheando posted:

I assume that was a mistake, as that doesn't really make sense, since if you add up Dany and Gilly's pregnancies season one to three has to be significantly more than 18 months.

Or the different plots just aren't told in chronological order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mide
Jun 2, 2009

ProfessorGroove posted:

I hope he comes back with ridiculous tales about fighting krakens or something from his tiny boat but no one believes him.

You didn't know that Gendry's middle name is Odysseus? That would make lady Melysandra a Harpy.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

BioMe posted:

Or the different plots just aren't told in chronological order.

They seem to be though, looking at how news of events spreads. People's reactions to the red and purple weddings were generally only an episode or two after the events, except for Arya only finding out about Joffrey in this episode, but she is pretty isolated.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Both the chronological order in which any two scenes happen and how long it is between a scene and another varies wildly.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

doverhog posted:

Both the chronological order in which any two scenes happen and how long it is between them varies wildly.

Right, but we know from hitting those landmarks like news of wedding deaths that there isn't any storyline that's wildly out of synch.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

What I am saying you probably shouldn't get too upset about timelines not making sense if the scenes are always in exact chronological order when you can easily assume they simply aren't, without it impacting most of the storylines in any way.

Unless of course you get more enjoyment about revealing huge plot holes and being very clever, in which case well done.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

BioMe posted:

What I am saying you probably shouldn't get too upset about timelines not making sense if the scenes are always in exact chronological order when you can easily assume they simply aren't, without it impacting most of the storylines in any way.

Unless of course you get more enjoyment about revealing huge plot holes and being very clever, in which case well done.

I don't think anyone is upset, just trying to answer that guys question about how much time has passed on the show.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
They have at multiple points used "years" to describe the events on the show; Petyr tells Sansa Joffery tortured her for years, Cersei saying she hadn't seen Myrcella in almost a year. But that makes a lot of the stories rather strange - it's taken Bran years to get to the wall? Dany years to get to Mereen? And so on.

It's a weird compromise to the reality that it takes RL years for the show to run its course, but in the books presumably the events happen over far less time.

That their planet has weird-rear end seasons doesn't help though. So it's no longer summer, but, now I guess we're in years of autumn? Shouldn't the trees eventually change their leaves? Will the show have to start airing in the summer to account for filming in the fall??

Best not to think too hard about it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

EccoRaven posted:

They have at multiple points used "years" to describe the events on the show; Petyr tells Sansa Joffery tortured her for years, Cersei saying she hadn't seen Myrcella in almost a year. It's a weird compromise to the reality that it takes RL years for the show to run its course, but in the books presumably the events happen over far less time.

That their planet has weird-rear end seasons doesn't help though. So it's no longer summer, but, now I guess we're in years of autumn? Shouldn't the trees eventually change their leaves? Will the show have to start airing in the summer to account for filming in the fall??

The basic seasonal setup is that they have summers and winters of unpredictable length, measured in years, and not much in-between. Scientifically-speaking, this would blow a real-life meteorologist's mind, I'm sure.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The basic seasonal setup is that they have summers and winters of unpredictable length, measured in years, and not much in-between. Scientifically-speaking, this would blow a real-life meteorologist's mind, I'm sure.

Well there has to be something in between, because if summer is over, then winter has already come.

But then again:

EccoRaven posted:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

EccoRaven posted:

This is the right answer. The books are generally more internally consistent about various details than the show, and even they are frequently unclear about how much time has passed. It's a futile effort to try and figure it out for the show because different scenes present different time cues.

Just don't worry too much about it.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

EccoRaven posted:

It's a weird compromise to the reality that it takes RL years for the show to run its course, but in the books presumably the events happen over far less time.

George R R Martin is very clearly not good with numbers. Seriously, his sense of distance, size, weight and time are all to cock in the books. Just accept it makes gently caress all sense and move on.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

EccoRaven posted:

Well there has to be something in between, because if summer is over, then winter has already come.

But then again:

It's also difficult to figure out why everyone is skeptical of anything even moderately supernatural, even though:

1) Everything outside of Westeros is HERE THERE BE DRAGONS and is lousy with wizards and other crazy nonsense

2) Aforementioned dragons

3) There is a giant wall of ice that they all figure just appeared on its own or was built by BRAN THE BUILDER, I guess

4) Pretty much every Night's Watch ranger can tell you all about giants and other crazy poo poo

5) The "Others" is a common curse word (replaced in the series mainly with white walkers)

6) Every major house seems to have a strong knowledge of history going back thousands of years, which includes some pretty crazy poo poo happening (there was an actual Age of Heroes when most of the D&D poo poo went down)

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
How do you even measure a year if the seasons span an unpredictable and inconsistent number of them?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bobo the Red posted:

How do you even measure a year if the seasons span an unpredictable and inconsistent number of them?

Probably by astronomy.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

rejutka posted:

George R R Martin is very clearly not good with numbers. Seriously, his sense of distance, size, weight and time are all to cock in the books. Just accept it makes gently caress all sense and move on.

This is true, but the timeline he intended is all over the place also, like Dany's wedding in S1 happens half a year before Robert arrives in Winterfell.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Bobo the Red posted:

It's funny, but this brings up a good question of why the seasons are of variable length? I'd love to see this theoretical trip around the sun that this planet is on and how it rotates both on its access and in terms of hemispheric proximity to the sun.

Or you know, magic.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Game of Aspergers.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012

Shadow posted:

It's funny, but this brings up a good question of why the seasons are of variable length? I'd love to see this theoretical trip around the sun that this planet is on and how it rotates both on its access and in terms of hemispheric proximity to the sun.

Or you know, magic.

People have come up with detailed explanations of this planets orbit that would explain the seasons. GRRM responded with a statement that basically said "You dumb nerds, it's magic".

So yeah option 2.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Pong Daddy posted:

People have come up with detailed explanations of this planets orbit that would explain the seasons. GRRM responded with a statement that basically said "You dumb nerds, it's magic".

So yeah option 2.

lol

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

midnightclimax posted:

Game of Aspergers.

ha ha, learning disabilities

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Well it's pretty interesting how they foreshadowed the upcoming Oberyn v. Mountain fight by pretty much setting each fight scene this season as being one of speed vs. strength. The Hound says strength wins but Jon lost to The Legend Of Gin Alley.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Preview question:

Do we think Sansa will actually rat Petyr out? The preview makes it look like an obvious "opposite of what you see" switch, but Sansa seems to be incapable of not making stupid calls, so who knows?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Well it's pretty interesting how they foreshadowed the upcoming Oberyn v. Mountain fight by pretty much setting each fight scene this season as being one of speed vs. strength. The Hound says strength wins but Jon lost to The Legend Of Gin Alley.

Say that again, but with a sword through the back of your throat.

Durzel posted:

Preview question:

Do we think Sansa will actually rat Petyr out? The preview makes it look like an obvious "opposite of what you see" switch, but Sansa seems to be incapable of not making stupid calls, so who knows?

Sansa almost certainly won't. Her whole journey has been "learning to play the game". No way she's gonna rat out Littlefinger, the guy who just saved her. Though I guess it would be funny if after all his scheming, Littlefinger died to the naivete of the girl he's projecting his obsession on. I think Sansa will be the one who gives Littlefinger his due, but not just yet. But with this show, anything goes. Maybe the Moon Door isn't done just yet.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 23, 2014

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Yeah ok he killed Tanner but he also lost the fight.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Bobo the Red posted:

Say that again, but with a sword through the back of your throat.

Sansa almost certainly won't. Her whole journey has been "learning to play the game". No way she's gonna rat out Littlefinger, the guy who just saved her. Though I guess it would be funny if after all his scheming, Littlefinger died to the naivete of the girl he's projecting his obsession on. I think Sansa will be the one who gives Littlefinger his due, but not just yet. But with this show, anything goes. Maybe the Moon Door isn't done just yet.

Yeah, there's no way in loving hell Sansa sells out Petyr here. It's probably his script that she's reading off of in the first place to ensure the guilt doesn't stick to him.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
My favorite part of the weird timeline of the show is that Jon and the Night's Watch went out ranging and got lost in the woods for years.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Shadow posted:

Yeah, there's no way in loving hell Sansa sells out Petyr here. It's probably his script that she's reading off of in the first place to ensure the guilt doesn't stick to him.

Sansa hopefully realizes, for her own sake, that she needs Littlefinger even if he's a weird creep and a murderer. He has reasons to protect her, and is powerful enough to actually do it. In literally any other place in Westeros, she'd be identified as Sansa Stark and brought to King's Landing as an accomplice for regicide, or worse. Winterfell has burned to the ground, and every adult member of her family is dead; she has no options and no friends anymore.

Brienne is coming to get her, but she doesn't know that. And even Brienne can't help her politically...she's a bodyguard.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

doverhog posted:

Both the chronological order in which any two scenes happen and how long it is between a scene and another varies wildly.
Immediately following a scene of Dany loving around in Meereen, we'll see the Oberyn/Mountain fight suddenly interrupted by a 30 year old Dany riding Drogon who is the size of a blue whale.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Regarding the show catching up with the books: isn't there a time skip at some point? That'd be the perfect time to take a year or two off.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Regarding the show catching up with the books: isn't there a time skip at some point? That'd be the perfect time to take a year or two off.

EXCUSE ME?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

It would be supremely strange to have a time skip at this point (and taking a year off would be a terrible decision for a tv show)

I think GRRM planned a timeskip for the books but then didn't do it, which is why everyone is so young.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I think clearly this show should split a season between two years, like what they did with Breaking Bad and Mad Men. The more time between each episode means the more time we have to savor the episode prior.

It is the only way.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Drifter posted:

I think clearly this show should split a season between two years, like what they did with Breaking Bad and Mad Men. The more time between each episode means the more time we have to savor the episode prior.

It is the only way.

God gently caress you.

But I agree. I hated it when Mad Men or Sons of Anarchy (... before it, well, let's not go there) would take ages to hit Netflix. With HBO GO, this is not an issue. Half Seasons of 6 each though.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Are they in danger of hitting that point soon? Which book is the show on now?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

marktheando posted:

Second half of the 3rd book.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

marktheando posted:

The show is on book 3 of 5, but books 4&5 take place at the same time. The safe bet is that the show will catch up with the books next year (season 5) and surpass them in two years (season 6).

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
In the books there is a time skip forward a few years so the kids are all growed up later on because GRRM realized after a few books that it was really implausible for Jon to be a grizzled warrior at twelve years old (also it made all the sex scenes really weird).

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Shadow posted:

EXCUSE ME?

oh no a thing

MrBims posted:

In the books there is a time skip forward a few years so the kids are all growed up later on because GRRM realized after a few books that it was really implausible for Jon to be a grizzled warrior at twelve years old (also it made all the sex scenes really weird).

Yeah, exactly. Stuff like that. It'd give some of the younger actors (like some of the ones that are still legitimately children) a while to grow up or look older without murdering the makeup department.

Also, I can't goddamn stand the whole "split a season into two parts" trend that's taking off. It means you've got two climaxes and two cliffhangers to write midseason, and it totally wrecks the pacing of some series that do just fine without it. Yeah it made sense in Breaking Bad's last season, but I don't think I'd be able to tolerate it in this one, not unless they seriously condensed and expanded different parts of the chronology.

DISCO KING fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

MrBims posted:

In the books there is a time skip
Nope.

• Locked thread