Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Quick question based on DoFP coming to theaters soon: What's up with 616 Blink these days? She got brought back to life at the same time as Doug Ramsey, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

HitTheTargets posted:

Quick question based on DoFP coming to theaters soon: What's up with 616 Blink these days? She got brought back to life at the same time as Doug Ramsey, right?
Yep, she was hangin' with the New Mutants for a few months, but has been shuffled off to character limbo (along with X-Man) since that series ended.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
What's the explanation for Bullseye's powers? Mutant? Yet another failed super soldier attempt? Just really put in the time and effort to get good at throwing things? I know he had to train himself to throw like a major league pitcher for his solo comic.

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
I'm trying to remember which it is, but I seem to recall a What If? where Spider-Man has become sort of an espionage/assassin kind of figure and I think in the issue he runs a mission with Wolverine and Black Widow?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

It might've been What If Spider-Man Stayed in Germany? That is based off of a one-shot called Spider-Man Vs Wolverine back in the 80s where Peter Parker and Ned Leeds get mixed up in some adventured with Wolverine and an ex-KGB friend of his named Charlie. Long story short (and you really should read the original, it is really good), Spider-Man and Leeds get mixed up in the same forces that are gunning for Charlie. Leeds dies, later retconned into dying while he was changing into the Hobgoblin costume. Wolverine and Charlie are on the run and Charlie knows these men after her will kill her and asks Wolverine to mercy kill her. Spidey and Wolvie get into a tussle, Spider-Man thinking he can save Charlie. During the fight, Spider-Man senses something behind him and expecting it be Wolverine, fully punches the approaching force.

It was Charlie. She died instantly at Spider-Man's hands.

Pete and Wolverine later part their separate ways and return to their homes in New York.

The What If takes the turn of Spider-Man and Wolverine still being on the run from the forces that were after Charlie. It was released 3-4 years ago and I haven't read it since then but Black Widow might be it. Spider-Man ditches the costume and basically wears super spy black clothes and stuff.

Here is the Spiderfan.org summary of the What If issue:

http://www.spiderfan.org/comics/reviews/what_if_one_shots/182.html

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 20, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

CzarChasm posted:

What's the explanation for Bullseye's powers? Mutant? Yet another failed super soldier attempt? Just really put in the time and effort to get good at throwing things? I know he had to train himself to throw like a major league pitcher for his solo comic.

He's just really good at throwing things.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Now he's really good at just sort of laying there forever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Now he's really good at just sort of laying there forever.

He'll get better in time for the TV series.

Bullseye also has adamantium plates on parts of his skeleton.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

He'll get better in time for the TV series.

Bullseye also has adamantium plates on parts of his skeleton.

I thought that poo poo was poisonous. What the gently caress. I'd like an elaborate explanation how he can survive this with as much time travel and cloning as possible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chinaman7000 posted:

I thought that poo poo was poisonous. What the gently caress. I'd like an elaborate explanation how he can survive this with as much time travel and cloning as possible.

I guess it's only poisonous when you have 200lbs of it in your system. Bullseye just has it in key places.

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
I think a scientist (maybe Beast) came up with some way to neutralize the poison?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MagnesiumB posted:

I think a scientist (maybe Beast) came up with some way to neutralize the poison?

Why would a good guy help Bullseye? And when Wolverine lost his healing factor in the early 2000's the adamantium was killing him then.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
If Beast could work out a cure I'm sure one of the many evil scientists could work one out too.

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
Yeah, I might be conflating different events.

Also, that's totally the What-If that I was thinking of in regards to Spider-Man, thanks!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Starsnostars posted:

If Beast could work out a cure I'm sure one of the many evil scientists could work one out too.

Did this happen in Wolverine or something?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
There are several explanations that have been given for Bullseye's adamanitum treating, such as Bullseye only having Adamantium lacing or reinforcement on his bones, as opposed to Wolverine having his bones wholly coated with the stuff. At one point it was theorized that Bullseye did have a low-grade healing factor of some sort in the Bendis run, but as far as I know that idea's been discarded. In any case, it's never been satisfactorily explained.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In the Kevin Smith (yuck) run Matt has a panel where he thinks "I'd heard rumors he'd reinforced his skeleton" and then kicks him which confirms what he heard as it hurt and stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doesn't Wolverine not have his healing factor right now?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

zoux posted:

Yes, and also in the film The Wolverine he didn't seem to be getting poisoned by the adamantium either, although he similarly was unfazed by being shot several times at point blank range so it's maybe not the best example of what would happen to Wolverine without his healing factor.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

Yes, and also in the film The Wolverine he didn't seem to be getting poisoned by the adamantium either, although he similarly was unfazed by being shot several times at point blank range so it's maybe not the best example of what would happen to Wolverine without his healing factor.

The 90s show has the Savage Land nullify mutant powers. Wolverine goes "there's nothing mutant about these, bub" then screams in agony.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't there someone else who had adamantium reinforcements too?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

notthegoatseguy posted:

The 90s show has the Savage Land nullify mutant powers.
Which for some reason includes Professor X's paraplegia.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this? posted:

Sabretooth once had a full adamantium skeleton because he shares Wolverine's healing factor. In fact when Wolverine lost his adamantium, Apocalypse gave it to Sabretooth then made Wolverine right him to get it back (it was the time Wolverine was replaaced by a Skrull who was killed by Apocalypse's horseman Death, who was actually the real Wolverine, because it was the 1990s).

I think Hammerhead sometimes has an adamantium plate in his skull.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

muscles like this? posted:

Cyber, the 90sest dude to ever also have Adamantium claws. Genesis killed him by attacking him with flesh eating beetles to get his skin (full of adamantium) to give Wolverine a new Adamantium skeleton so he could be Death.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

zoux posted:

Beast gave Wolverine a medication to take for that for the foreseeable future, given that he'll never get his healing factor back ever.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
We'll he's going to be dead soon. No cure for that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If wolverine's bones are coated with adamantium, how does his blood get to his bones to keep them alive, and how does his bone marrow get the blood platelets and stuff you need to live back into his bloodstream?

Maybe it has holes where the blood vessels go in and out?

Or I guess if you can heal from basically anything, maybe your bones constantly heal from being starved of blood and your body constantly heals from being cut off from your bone marrow.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Apparently the coating is porous, but how that loving works is :comics:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

In the Kevin Smith (yuck) run Matt has a panel where he thinks "I'd heard rumors he'd reinforced his skeleton" and then kicks him which confirms what he heard as it hurt and stuff.

Is that a real picture of John Bryne as your avatar?

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

After putting it off for too long I finally got around to reading Grant Morrison's New X-Men run, and while I really dug it overall, one thing that kind of bothered me was this curiously unexamined Orwellian element in how the heroes used telepathy. I felt a little creeped out by how far Charles, Jean, and Emma were willing to go in invading other people's thoughts, altering their personalities, and teaching their students how to do so -- I suppose it makes sense for Emma, who's supposed to be ethically ambiguous to begin with, and maybe it was Morrison's intention that I be creeped out a little, but I was a little surprised that a writer with such strong anti-tyranny, anti-conformist sensibilities would never directly address the fact that Charles Xavier was essentially a one-man NSA.

Which brings me to my question: as someone with only a passing familiarity with X-Men comics, I know there have been stories like "Deadly Genesis" (which is also somewhere on my to-read list) that deal with Charles getting into some shady dealings and messing with the team's memories, but have there been any good stories that really examined the ethics of how much the telepaths within the X-Men interfere with other people's free will?

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
Although it was never directly stated, I thought the overall impression given was that ; it was incredibly invasive and that Professor X is more a do as I say not as I do type of guy. Dudes just incredibly unethical.

Or maybe our baseline human morality doesn't apply to our homo superior brethren.

Mister Nobody fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 23, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is that a real picture of John Bryne as your avatar?

Yeeeeeeeepppp.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Connellingus posted:

Which brings me to my question: as someone with only a passing familiarity with X-Men comics, I know there have been stories like "Deadly Genesis" (which is also somewhere on my to-read list) that deal with Charles getting into some shady dealings and messing with the team's memories, but have there been any good stories that really examined the ethics of how much the telepaths within the X-Men interfere with other people's free will?

One of the things is that since Xavier was a Silver Age creation, his early appearances have him being extremely... flexible regarding the moral limitations on his powers, since it just wasn't considered as closely at the time. This, of course, has clashed with the repositioning him as a mutant MLK during the Claremont era on Uncanny X-Men, and so there has been some constant readjusting of his character of the years. The X-Men Legacy series from 2008 dealt with a premise of a brain-damaged Professor Xavier having to piece the story of his life together from the memories of others, and getting to relive all his mistakes and flaws from a more objective perspective.

One of my favorite telepath bits was from the second X-Factor series which had to do with FBI agents investigating mutant cases, and there's a point in one of the final issues that one of the agents runs into Jean Grey for seemingly the first time, and then realizing she's been wiping his memories in order to take mutants to the school without interference, and is just like noooooo not again. Though the series itself wasn't particularly memorable, it was a great example of how the X-Men could come across as absolutely terrifying to normal humans.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The X-Men Legacy series from 2008 dealt with a premise of a brain-damaged Professor Xavier having to piece the story of his life together from the memories of others, and getting to relive all his mistakes and flaws from a more objective perspective.
Nice, I was planning on reading Carey and Brubaker's stuff in tandem, so it's good to hear that Carey covers that subject matter since that sounds really interesting. Thanks!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I liked Deadly Genesis, but thought Brubaker's year on Uncanny was pretty bad.
May be worth reading if you want to get into the cosmic stuff, but not really.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe Brubaker himself admitted he wasn't the best fit for the title.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is there an Earth-001 in Marvel?

Why does Beast almost always turn evil and/or crazy in alternate realities?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

Why does Beast almost always turn evil and/or crazy in alternate realities?

Probably for the same reason Reed Richards does, it's not that far as a drop.

As far as Earth 1 in Marvel goes, I don't think there's any confirmation of it, but I always assumed that was us.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Earth-1

from here
(which needs to be updated with the recent New Avengers timelines)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

redbackground posted:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Earth-1

from here
(which needs to be updated with the recent New Avengers timelines)

Is it just a passport stamp? My issues of YA aren't where I can get at them.

I do want to say that as much as I loved original Kid Loki, between Young Avengers and his solo title, I like this young Loki a lot.