Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luigionlsd
Jan 9, 2006

i dont know what this is i think its some kind of nazi giraffe or nazi mountains or something i dont know
Hopefully this isn't the wrong thread, but I am getting more serious about upgrading my 7950 to either a R9 290 or GF 770. Not considering used mining cards though.

Is there any logical reason to pick the 770 (~$500) over the 290 (~$350) when 290's gaming benchmarks are on par or better? I haven't been on Team Green since the 9800 mk II era, so I don't know if there's some huge NV-only feature I'm missing. I am going to buy Watch_Dogs anyway more than likely so NV would shave $30-40 of value off the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Well it isn't the right thread but also the 770 is not $500. http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#m=8,14,27,40&qq=1&sort=a1&c=137

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

SourKraut posted:

FYI - He just put these up, and has them listed as new / never used for $169.99.

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=231240069117

Just grabbed one of these. Price went up to $179 as I was watching it. Still 1 left it looks like.

luigionlsd
Jan 9, 2006

i dont know what this is i think its some kind of nazi giraffe or nazi mountains or something i dont know

beejay posted:

Well it isn't the right thread but also the 770 is not $500. http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#m=8,14,27,40&qq=1&sort=a1&c=137

Err meant the 780, from a performance standpoint

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

deimos posted:

Err that'll teach me to try to simplify things without re-reading what I type, and this might be wrong, but... Doesn't cache coherency make it easier to write multi thread/core algorithms that can offload to GPU?

Maybe transparent isn't the word to use.
easier, sort of--the algorithm itself may be easier to get up and running in the first place, but that's not any sort of guarantee that it will actually run well (and getting it to run well will likely require as much or almost as much work as is done in large applications today in order to make them amenable to GPUs). keep in mind that most applications you care about that have big obvious data-parallel workloads are also games and therefore have a lot of graphics work to put on the GPU in the first place. outside of games and specific niche markets (very big Photoshop operations, serious video editing), there's probably not a real market for desktop compute (games will always be a weird edge case, where traditional D3D/GL workloads trade off with DirectCompute/GL compute workloads for runtime).

HPC will obviously continue down the accelerator/coprocessor path, and there is increasing adoption in mobile.

Professor Science fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 24, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SourKraut posted:

FYI - He just put these up, and has them listed as new / never used for $169.99.

How it can it be new / never used if it doesn't ship with the original packaging?

What do they do, immediately get GPUs, toss all the boxes and leave them lying around?

Seems like you'd keep the boxes to increase resell value later..

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Some of those miners were literally buying dozens and dozens of cards to set up into mining rigs. It's entirely possible that they simply didn't have the room for all the boxes, or unpackaged it all intending to make another rig and never got around to it. I bought what appears to be a completely new 290 that didn't come with packaging simply because it cost an extra $15 to mail the bigger box than the card alone.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SourKraut posted:

Son of a bitch, those sold immediately! :argh:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Have we seen any effect on the ordinary store-prices from all this unloading? Can't imagine this is doing wonders for the traditional retailers sales right now but maybe it's such a tiny volume in the grand state of things...?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Things are largely down to more or less MSRP, yeah. So you can now find 290's around $375-$450, and 290X's around $500-$600, depending on specific model.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

HalloKitty posted:

How it can it be new / never used if it doesn't ship with the original packaging?

What do they do, immediately get GPUs, toss all the boxes and leave them lying around?

Seems like you'd keep the boxes to increase resell value later..

This guy built a million dollar plus setup in a data center. Imagine how many cards he has or had.

Smooth Willis
Jul 12, 2013
bought a supposedly new 280x for $180 last week, just sold my old 660ti for $170. :hellyeah:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Smooth Willis posted:

bought a supposedly new 280x for $180 last week, just sold my old 660ti for $170. :hellyeah:

drat, you did well. Comparison for your $10.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm running windows 7 x64 and just updated the drivers for my GTX 660 to the latest ones (335.23) through the GeForce Experience software, but when I restart my computer windows seems to have really slowed down. Lke things are running at 1/4 speed. I.e. i open any windows and they just gradually fade in rather than just "pop".

This only happens after I restart the computer though. Everything seems to run fine immediately after installing the driver. Is this a known issue with the driver or is there something I need to tweak to stop this.

Kin fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 24, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I have two PNY 750ti, one has a rattle when it is operating and one doesn't. Is there an easy way to fix the rattling or replace the fan with one from a nearby Microcenter or should I just RMA it?

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

So I had resigned myself to waiting until the next generation of GPUs to see if anything could replace my Geforce 660 at my upgrade price point (~$200-250 for at least a 50% performance improvement). Is there any real reason I shouldn't buy one of these from bitcoin Santa?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
can we change the title to "GO AHEAD BUY BITCOIN VIDEO CARDS"

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

FallenGod posted:

Is there any real reason I shouldn't buy one of these from bitcoin Santa?
If you can't convince the seller to send you a copy of the original invoice with it, Sapphire may deny you warranty support. Otherwise, no, it's not like the card is likely to fail in the <2 years you're likely to be using it.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Ignoarints posted:

can we change the title to "GO AHEAD BUY BITCOIN VIDEO CARDS"

Well I'd emphasize that some brands are a much better option than others, I think it's Asus and EVGA that do RAM by serial number so they don't care who owned it before you got it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Also Gigabyte and I believe MSI. Of the lot, Gigabyte is AFAIK the only one that provides a 3-year, S/N-based, not completely poo poo customer-service warranty. Also their cards tend to be on the cheaper side, to boot. Downside is some of their 290X models apparently had RAM issues.

Really I think Sapphire and XFX are the only ones still doing invoice-based warranties these days.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

Well one technically doesn't guarantee the other. Just wondering if there's untapped potential that's being held back by NUMA that can only be gained through UMA.

Even if the GPU would execute something 10x faster than a CPU would, it might still be faster to run the calculations on the CPU since copying data over PCI-E is likely going to take far more cycles. With unified memory (and especially with shared pointers and cache coherence) this isn't an issue.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Is there a way to clone with two different resolution monitors using some kind of super sampling for the lower resolution monitor? For example the main monitor is 1440p and I would like to clone the same image on a 1080p projector.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Not usually, but you never know what drivers will give you.

You COULD however drop the monitor to 1080p while you're cloning. If your target audience is the people watching the projected image, that's probably the right option and 1440-dude will just have to deal. If your target audience is the person at the monitor, then the projector is a terrific generator of heat and waste of electricity.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Is there a way to clone with two different resolution monitors using some kind of super sampling for the lower resolution monitor? For example the main monitor is 1440p and I would like to clone the same image on a 1080p projector.
What videocard do you have? I think AMD and nVidia drivers will do resampling from selected resolution to native, either up or down. I used this to game at 1440p on a 1080p screen for supersampling, and I think it will work on the desktop as well if configured that way.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Alereon posted:

What videocard do you have? I think AMD and nVidia drivers will do resampling from selected resolution to native, either up or down. I used this to game at 1440p on a 1080p screen for supersampling, and I think it will work on the desktop as well if configured that way.

GTX 780. I can super sample when "extending" the desktop, but I can't use custom resolutions when cloning.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Question: Right now, I have a Geforce 550Ti, and while it's not great, it gets the job done. However, this particular card has left me experiencing the "display driver has crashed blah blah blah" thing, that apparently can affect all Nvidia cards, and for which there is no known universal solution. My research indicates this problem has existed for years, and I have personally dealt with it for a year and a half now. In short, when the crash occurs, the monitor restarts and, typically, whatever game I'm running crashes. This makes a lot of things totally unplayable, as you may imagine. Based on my experience, though, the crashes only occur when the card is overtaxed. Thus, my question: If I just buy a new card, probably a 760, and uninstall my drivers before installing the new card, is it probable that the issue will go away?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LuciferMorningstar posted:

If I just buy a new card, probably a 760, and uninstall my drivers before installing the new card, is it probable that the issue will go away?

This type of video driver crash typically is a sign that the card in question has a hardware defect: A brand new graphics card without faults shouldn't give you any hassle. The "solution" to the driver crashing is either to underclock the card (and, thus, circumvent the issue) or to get a new one.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 26, 2014

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
In addition to the warranty stuff, it might not be such a hot idea to buy 7000-series cards that were used for mining, both because of less remaining warranty and being worked far longer. I wouldn't even care so much about the warranty (as compared to buying any other used card at any other point in time) for R9 cards since they would've only been used for mining for like 3-4 months tops.

DrDork posted:

Really I think Sapphire and XFX are the only ones still doing invoice-based warranties these days.
My 7990 was a PowerColor and the warranty seemed to be invoice-based, but as long as the original buyer hasn't already had to return the card, so what? It's not like they have access to Newegg's records. When I sold mine I offered to fudge an invoice for the buyer if they ever needed, since I never needed warranty service myself.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Fame Douglas posted:

This type of video driver crash typically is a sign that the card in question has a hardware defect: A brand new graphics card without faults shouldn't give you any hassle. The "solution" to the driver crashing is either to underclock the card (and, thus, circumvent the issue) or to get a new one.

This is all I wanted to hear, and it confirms my suspicions. I didn't overclock it, so that would have been a factory thing, and it wasn't broken out of the box, nor did it take a driver update to start failing, so I'll just upgrade. Wonder why everyone else acts like this is a software issue. In any case, thanks!

E: Should I then avoid factory-overclocked cards? Or is it just a coinflip, so to speak?

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 27, 2014

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Some of the factory overclocked cards running more extreme clock speeds tend to have a higher likelihood of having been manufactured with chips that can't handle the speed and, therefore, are potentially more prone to errors in their "out of the box" configuration. Of course, you're then free to RMA your new purchase to receive a unit that is working perfectly.

A modestly factory overclocked card is probably a safer purchase (I'm running a perfectly stable 6% factory overclocked Asus 780 Ti DirectCU II myself, for example).

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 27, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

Some of the factory overclocked cards running more extreme clock speeds tend to have a higher likelihood of having been manufactured with chips that can't handle the speed and, therefore, are potentially more prone to errors in their "out of the box" configuration. Of course, you're then free to RMA your new purchase to receive a unit that is working perfectly.

A modestly factory overclocked card is probably a safer purchase (I'm running a perfectly stable 6% factory overclocked Asus 780 Ti DirectCU II myself, for example).

Okay. My current one is a Gigabyte, and I suspect that may have been where I made my error. Should have gone with a more reputable manufacturer.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Funnily enough, the first 780 Ti I had bought was a Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti WindForce 3X OC; a card many people have experienced problems with, including me (nVidia driver crashes in games as well as visible artifacts in 3DMark 11, but not in games). Thankfully, I was able to get it exchanged for the Asus.

But I think the general consensus on here is that, typically, Gigabyte cards are fine.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Ironic I just started getting nvidia driver crashes out of the blue. It woudln't actually crash the game, but it would make the fps tank and everything look like low settings. I figured it might be because of the overclock which I turned off. They were running at 1293 mhz which is pretty drat high for stock voltage from what I can tell. Hopefully that's all it is, but factory speeds aren't a whole lot lower so I guess I'll see

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ignoarints posted:

Ironic I just started getting nvidia driver crashes out of the blue. It woudln't actually crash the game, but it would make the fps tank and everything look like low settings. I figured it might be because of the overclock which I turned off. They were running at 1293 mhz which is pretty drat high for stock voltage from what I can tell. Hopefully that's all it is, but factory speeds aren't a whole lot lower so I guess I'll see

Check for bitcoin/altcoin miners.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I forgot to mention Windows reports the driver crashes when this happens. Which I wouldn't have readily guessed since the game actually still continues.

Don Lapre posted:

Check for bitcoin/altcoin miners.

Is there anything special I need to do to check this? I never even considered it but now it seems like such an obvious thing for assholes to do...

Edit: I'm doing my "usual" routine which might be a bit dated now. I usually reinstall windows so often I never seem to have obvious issues anymore, like I did maybe 5+ years ago.

- Ran CCleaner
- Running Windows Defender full scan right now
- Reinstall Windows

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 27, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ignoarints posted:

I forgot to mention Windows reports the driver crashes when this happens. Which I wouldn't have readily guessed since the game actually still continues.

Is there anything special I need to do to check this? I never even considered it but now it seems like such an obvious thing for assholes to do...

Look for weird processes running in task manager. Have you installed anything from a questionable source lately?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Look for weird processes running in task manager. Have you installed anything from a questionable source lately?

I edited my post above, but I didn't notice anything strange from looking it over now. When the crash happens I look in task manager to see if anything is hogging resources and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I'm going to go through the process list carefully now and google everything I'm even remotely unsure of.

Forgot to mention, no I haven't installed anything really in a long time. The last thing was probably Titanfall, and probably the last "questionable" thing was CRU.exe for monitor overclocking. Earlier today I tried to install an unsigned "driver" to my display driver but it is just a short .ini file that I looked through (makes the monitor report as greater than 60hz natively) and it failed anyways, and it was after the first time the nvidia driver crashed like this

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 27, 2014

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Straker posted:

My 7990 was a PowerColor and the warranty seemed to be invoice-based, but as long as the original buyer hasn't already had to return the card, so what? It's not like they have access to Newegg's records. When I sold mine I offered to fudge an invoice for the buyer if they ever needed, since I never needed warranty service myself.
Yeah, as I said, as long as you can find a seller who's willing to do that for you, you're fine. But a lot of them aren't, or don't have it, or simply don't want to bother. Worth asking before you buy, that's all.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Does the GTX 770 not overlock that well? Mine is of the MSI flavor. I'm not able to get much more than an extra 50mhz out of the core, before the display drivers start crashing running the heaven benchmark thing. Also upping the core voltage/power limit in MSI afterburner doesn't make any difference surprisingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Slider posted:

Does the GTX 770 not overlock that well? Mine is of the MSI flavor. I'm not able to get much more than an extra 50mhz out of the core, before the display drivers start crashing running the heaven benchmark thing. Also upping the core voltage/power limit in MSI afterburner doesn't make any difference surprisingly.

What is it at? ~1220-1250 seems to be the norm. The voltage control limited to say the least. I'd reflash the bios for more but I'm already running hot on one card

Memory overclock is a bit more substantial. Seems like most people can get at least 7600 mhz. Some cards have gotten a whopping 8.0-8.2 ghz memory