Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

The year is 2007. It is the future. The apocolypse has had an apocolypse and from the toxic ashes of Vietnam War II comes....FarCry3: Blood Dragon!

The best way I've found to describe Blood Dragon is that it's a total conversion mod of FarCry3. It's the same engine and assets, but tweaked and reskinned with a new map and new story. It has SNES style cutscenes, tons of hilarious dialogue, and a specially composed electronica soundtrack. The visual style is intended to pay homage to 80's sci-fi/cyberpunk fiction, but the game has basically any reference from the VHS era that they could think of. I'm finding it hard to pick out all these words, so the fact of the matter is, this is a game that is incredibly entertaining and you'll know pretty quick if it's something you'd be interested in.

I'm going to be organizing this LP similarly to the way I did FarCry3, but with only two categories:
  • Primary: This is going to be all the story stuff in the game. Put simply, if it has a cutscene, it goes here.
  • Secondary: This will include all map control, side missions, and any other bonus type stuff I decide to show.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

FarCry3: Blood Dragon Announce Trailer - I legitimately thought this was a joke when I first saw it. Do yourself a favor and watch this.

FarCry3: Blood Dragon Art - This is a neat little post showing some of the early promotional art for Blood Dragon. Worth a look, some of the posters are awesome.

Carlyle's Notes #1

Completed my regular 5 mile run this morning and ready to continue the research on the Blood Dragons alongside the beautiful, intelligent Dr. Darling. The island is a cornucopia of unique plants and animals seen nowhere else in the world. I can't wait to experiment on them and Colonel Sloan seems very eager for the results on the blood of the dragon.

Carlyle's Notes #2

Dr. Darling's hand brushed against mine while we were separating the dragon blood plasma. She said it was an accident, but I know she wants me. And what's not to want. I have less than 8% body fat, I exercise regularly, and I'm 100% human as opposed to these cyber-dolts protecting us. Perhaps she wants a better physical specimen...very well. I will improve upon perfection.

Carlyle's Notes #3

The first batch of Dragon Blood serum is being centrifuged, but Sloan insists on testing it first. I've made extra for myself, naturally. If my test models are correct, and they're sure to be, then the serum will enhance natural abilities to peak. Unlike that Neanderthal, Sloan, it'll also increase my mental capacity to hyper-genius levels. Then Dr. Darling will have no reason to continue playing coy.

Carlyle's Notes #4

Injecting Sloan with the blood of dragons produced miraculous results, if I may be so humble as to espouse my own creative brilliance in improving on God's design. The blood interacted with Sloan's cybernetics, supercharging him, so I will inject myself using a suspended nano-solution since I don't have cybernetics. The nanites should be the perfect bonding agent. Wait until Dr. Darling sees what I've done.

Carlyle's Notes #5

I injected myself. The results were...less than promising. Instead of supercharging me, the dragon's blood supercharged the nanites instead. Now they're running rampant through my system, doing God knows what, but I'm confident my fine physical health and willpower will triumph over whatever they're doing to me. Regardless, I will approach Dr. Darling tonight and state my intentions to mate with her.

Carlyle's Notes #6

Dr. Darling continues to tease me. She said she'd sooner mate with a red-assed baboon with a community college degree and leprosy on its genitals than wear any pearl necklace I have offer (whatever that means) but she can only flirt with me for so long. On a sidenote, I haven't been able to feel my legs since the injection, but I can only assume I am triumphing over the dragon blood-empowered nanites.

Carlyle's Notes #7

I can't walk. The drat supercharged nanites are stripping the muscles from my body and my strength in deteriorating rapidly as the blood and nanites continue to ravage my system. Darling won't even talk to me, obviously off put by the loss of my superb body, while that goon, Colonel Sloan, continues to grow stronger. At least...at least I can still get erections.

Carlyle's Notes #8

Re: My Erections. I can't do that either, now. gently caress you...that's my note for today.

Carlyle's Notes #9

I am through moping. I've been confined to a wheelchair, but where my body fails me, my mind prevails! Sloan says that my...deterioration is an opportunity in disguise, and I must concur. Pure dragon blood is unpredictable, but my research can guide its effects to make slaves or monsters of men. We're moving on to phase two of the experiments. That'll teach Darling to spurn my love!

Carlyle's Notes #10

We've begun the experiments to weaponize the dragon blood. If my calculations are correct, and they are, we will change the world and remake it in our image, Sloan and I. See, Dr. Darling. I no longer need you. I have outgrown such trivial concerns as sex. My genitals can stay where they are in the jar in my desk drawer. I no longer need them since they fell off. What does a God need with balls....

VHS Tape #1: Monkey See, Monkey Kill

In the remote island research garrison, Dr. Emily Waverly and her team are conducting military experiments to turn apes into killing machines. But when their prized ape escapes from his cell during a violent tropical storm, Waverly and the others must survive the night as their experiment turns his training against them and picks them off one-by-one.

VHS Tape #2: You Have the Right to Die!

When the Black Angels turf gang goes to war with the Puerto Rican Hustlers over the local drug trade, LA becomes a blood-soaked warzone. The LAPD is powerless to help, but Det. Cole Gunner is out to clean the streets as a one man wrecking crew.

VHS Tape #3: You May Now Kill the Brides

In this supernatural comedy, professional widower Lance Evans has been marrying rich women before arranging for their "accidents." Now three of his wives are back from the grave for revenge, and Lance is about to learn the true meaning of 'till death do us part.'

VHS Tape #4: Hard Labor - The Seduction of Dale Pretty

When Dale Pretty is given life for a bank robbery gone wrong, he's thrown into the worst prison in the United States where his only hope for survival is his own body. See the movie that shocked America with its graphic depiction of doing "hard time," a film Get Rough Magazine called "A damning indictment of the American Penile System."

VHS Tape #5: Bad Breed

Deep beneath New Orleans' French Quarter, a deadly new species of alligator is born when radioactive waste is flushed down into the sewers. Now Dr. Stacy Chaste and Det. Rick Daring are in a race against time to find the mutant nest before the alligators attack the crowds at the height of Mardi Gras.

VHS Tape #6: The Adventures of Hard Savage

Straight from the comic books, archaeologist and rockstar Hard Savage comes to life in this action-packed blockbuster. While on tour, Hard Savage saves the beautiful Delilah Bangkok from ruthless pirates out to steal the Star of Kiwi. Action and romance follow the pair as they embark on the adventure of a lifetime to explore the lost island of New Zealand to find the riches of the ancient Kiwi Temple.

VHS Tape #7: Drown me to Death!

It's been ten years since Camp Hello lost 12 kindergarteners in a freak flash flood. Now the camp has reopened for inner-city youth, and the 12 missing children have come out of the lake to play with their new friends. Would you like to be their friend?

VHS Tape #8: Bourne to Dance

Michael Bourne is a troubled teen sent to live with his conservative aunt and uncle in a small town that isn't ready to accept his big city ways. But all it takes is one teacher by the name of Mr. Harding to show Michael the kind of love he's never known before...the love of dance. Come see what Thomas Finland is calling the "Feel Good Movie of the Century."

VHS Tape #9: Even Score

When German terrorists take the US President and an entire stadium hostage during an American exhibition football match, it's up to Major Kinkaid and his elite cyber-commandoes of Omega Force to save the day. In a race against the clock, they must free the hostages, disable a nuclear bomb, and deal with the Cyber-Commissar Red Menace in a fight to save Democracy itself.

VHS Tape #10: Boiled Egg

When Det. Eddie "Egg" Brosco is framed for being a dirty cop and forced to resign from the corrupt police force, he has no choice but to turn to Lil' Benny, a wise-cracking street thug he put away years ago, for help in clearing his name. Now, this buddy duo must take down a ring of corrupt cops out to kill them both before Brosco and Benny take them down.

VHS Tape #11: Boiled Egg 2: Boiling Point

Eddie "Egg" Brosco and Benny are back, and the stakes couldn't be higher. When Lil' Benny is arrested for a murder he didn't commit, Det. Brosco is forced to bust him out of prison to help clear his name. Now hunted by the law, the two men are fugitives out to solve the murder and solve the mystery of why Benny was framed for the crime.

VHS Tape #12: Popularity Camp

Eugene Gibson's parents send their nerd son to a popularity summer camp to help him gain confidence. But when Eugene and his fellow nerds are tormented by their jock counselors, they decide to fight back in this summer's funniest coming of age comedy.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 12, 2014

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Alright let's get this poo poo started, Mark IV style!

MGN001
May 12, 2012

Hot drat! I love me some Blood Dragon. It's what convinced me to get Far Cry 3. Also, it's 15 bucks on steam, but you can probably get it for 5-10 on sale.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
gently caress yeah, I love this game. Been waiting for your LP for ages!

I love the endless little references: for example, the Galleria 1991 is the same shotgun used by Arnie in Terminator 2 (released 1991) in the Galleria scene...

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Alright let's get this poo poo started, Mark IV style!
YESSSSSS!
This game is just balls-up crazy all the way down and I love it.
A fun drinking game: Every time an 80's reference is made, you take a shot. You try not to die within 45 minutes. :getin:
Fortunately, the whole game can be beaten in, like, 30 minutes. :(

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
I really wanted to enjoy this game, but the color/lighting scheme really bothered me. The humor and all the little animations are great; I just kind of space out when I look at the screen.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Nelson Mandela posted:

I love the endless little references: for example, the Galleria 1991 is the same shotgun used by Arnie in Terminator 2 (released 1991) in the Galleria scene...

Hahaha that's awesome. I knew it had to be a reference to something, but I didn't know what.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I'm a little surprised no one picked up on the music playing in the helicopter during the first part of gameplay. I've seen the first half-an-hour of Blood Dragon so many times because I keep telling myself I'll buy it and play it with my dad in the room because he would love this game to hell and back.

Also the music was from Predator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9-GtzLljPU

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

You need to show off the weapon descriptions as soon as you can. Those things are a gold mine. Post them in the thread too.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

And is preceded by the line "Just like that thing in Central America". Which is where Predator was set.

It's also followed by the "Mark IV Style, motherfucker" bit... which is, again, a direct Predator reference ("Dylan, you son of a bitch!").

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Spudd posted:

I'm a little surprised no one picked up on the music playing in the helicopter during the first part of gameplay. I've seen the first half-an-hour of Blood Dragon so many times because I keep telling myself I'll buy it and play it with my dad in the room because he would love this game to hell and back.

Also the music was from Predator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9-GtzLljPU

Yeah holy crap, I guess I really don't remember that much from Predator cause none of that rang any bells with me. Not even the extremely obvious handshake.

I know there's a list somewhere that has all the references in the whole game, but it feels like cheating to look it up.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

You need to show off the weapon descriptions as soon as you can. Those things are a gold mine. Post them in the thread too.

This is something I avoided doing in FarCry3 just cause there was so much stuff and I wasn't sure where to draw the line. It'd be easier in Blood Dragon cause there's a lot less, but I still don't really want to have a big text dump. I'll think it over.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Carlyle's Notes #1

Completed my regular 5 mile run this morning and ready to continue the research on the Blood Dragons alongside the beautiful, intelligent Dr. Darling. The island is a cornucopia of unique plants and animals seen nowhere else in the world. I can't wait to experiment on them and Colonel Sloan seems very eager for the results on the blood of the dragon.

VHS Tape #1: Monkey See, Monkey Kill

In the remote island research garrison, Dr. Emily Waverly and her team are conducting military experiments to turn apes into killing machines. But when their prized ape escapes from his cell during a violent tropical storm, Waverly and the others must survive the night as their experiment turns his training against them and picks them off one-by-one.

VHS Tape #2: You Have the Right to Die!

When the Black Angels turf gang goes to war with the Puerto Rican Hustlers over the local drug trade, LA becomes a blood-soaked warzone. The LAPD is powerless to help, but Det. Cole Gunner is out to clean the streets as a one man wrecking crew.

MGN001
May 12, 2012

Looking at the "nerd rocks", it appears that they're actually modeled after MTG Spindown Life Counters rather than standard D20s.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Carlyle's Notes #2

Dr. Darling's hand brushed against mine while we were separating the dragon blood plasma. She said it was an accident, but I know she wants me. And what's not to want. I have less than 8% body fat, I exercise regularly, and I'm 100% human as opposed to these cyber-dolts protecting us. Perhaps she wants a better physical specimen...very well. I will improve upon perfection.

VHS Tape #3: You May Now Kill the Brides

In this supernatural comedy, professional widower Lance Evans has been marrying rich women before arranging for their "accidents." Now three of his wives are back from the grave for revenge, and Lance is about to learn the true meaning of 'till death do us part.'

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
So there isn't any way to turn the fog down and raise the draw distance? That's unfortunate, I love games like JC2 with gorgeous vistas. Looks like a fun game so far though.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Desperately Saving Susan is a reference to a bad 80's movie (like most other things in this game).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089017/

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
I've had instances where I'd save a scientist, he'd thank me, walk about five feet and get mauled to death by a cyber-tiger.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

unfair posted:

So there isn't any way to turn the fog down and raise the draw distance? That's unfortunate, I love games like JC2 with gorgeous vistas. Looks like a fun game so far though.

It's possible there is one in the PC version, but considering there's a weapon attachment to deal with it, I kinda doubt that.

Kytrarewn posted:

Desperately Saving Susan is a reference to a bad 80's movie (like most other things in this game).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089017/

Hahaha god damnit, Blood Dragon

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

Rabidredneck posted:

I've had instances where I'd save a scientist, he'd thank me, walk about five feet and get mauled to death by a cyber-tiger.

These are scripted and I'm hoping OP will watch/follow every scientist he saves, for this very reason.

MGN001
May 12, 2012

I just reinstalled the PC version, and going through the options, it doesn't look like there's an option to reduce fog/increase draw distance.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Instant hostage suicides after rescue are a wonderful little touch. The sensible scientists aren't exactly jumping at the chance to work with Blood Dragon dragon blood.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Glazius posted:

Instant hostage suicides after rescue are a wonderful little touch. The sensible scientists aren't exactly jumping at the chance to work with Blood Dragon dragon blood.

Yeah, the non-crazy scientists are probably far, FAR away from this island.

Zombiebeard
Jun 29, 2011

by astral
Just caught up with the thread so I decided to make this for you guys:

SWORDFISHHH
Apr 1, 2010

Zombiebeard posted:

Just caught up with the thread so I decided to make this for you guys:

This is great! :911:

The commentary is a lot of fun for this game. The gameplay is good and they take nothing else seriously.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Carlyle's Notes #3

The first batch of Dragon Blood serum is being centrifuged, but Sloan insists on testing it first. I've made extra for myself, naturally. If my test models are correct, and they're sure to be, then the serum will enhance natural abilities to peak. Unlike that Neanderthal, Sloan, it'll also increase my mental capacity to hyper-genius levels. Then Dr. Darling will have no reason to continue playing coy.

VHS Tape #4: Hard Labor - The Seduction of Dale Pretty

When Dale Pretty is given life for a bank robbery gone wrong, he's thrown into the worst prison in the United States where his only hope for survival is his own body. See the movie that shocked America with its graphic depiction of doing "hard time," a film Get Rough Magazine called "A damning indictment of the American Penile System."

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This game really does give no fucks.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

quote:

rusty cumbuckets

Seriously.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Carlyle's Notes #4

Injecting Sloan with the blood of dragons produced miraculous results, if I may be so humble as to espouse my own creative brilliance in improving on God's design. The blood interacted with Sloan's cybernetics, supercharging him, so I will inject myself using a suspended nano-solution since I don't have cybernetics. The nanites should be the perfect bonding agent. Wait until Dr. Darling sees what I've done.

VHS Tape #5: Bad Breed

Deep beneath New Orleans' French Quarter, a deadly new species of alligator is born when radioactive waste is flushed down into the sewers. Now Dr. Stacy Chaste and Det. Rick Daring are in a race against time to find the mutant nest before the alligators attack the crowds at the height of Mardi Gras.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

Does the bow get any ridiculous or fun upgrades? Compared to the other weapons in your arsenal, it seems like the least sarcastic-take-on-the-80s. I mean, after seeing the explosive bullets, I kind of disappointed that the arrows are just arrows with neon lights.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

Mr. Highway posted:

Does the bow get any ridiculous or fun upgrades? Compared to the other weapons in your arsenal, it seems like the least sarcastic-take-on-the-80s. I mean, after seeing the explosive bullets, I kind of disappointed that the arrows are just arrows with neon lights.

No, the bow is what it is. There is an acheivement for killing a Blood Dragon with the bow, but you just have to wear it down with other weapons and finish it with the bow. You have to hit the vulnerable point on it's chest, so it's still challenging to do.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Carlyle's Notes #5

I injected myself. The results were...less than promising. Instead of supercharging me, the dragon's blood supercharged the nanites instead. Now they're running rampant through my system, doing God knows what, but I'm confident my fine physical health and willpower will triumph over whatever they're doing to me. Regardless, I will approach Dr. Darling tonight and state my intentions to mate with her.

VHS Tape #6: The Adventures of Hard Savage

Straight from the comic books, archaeologist and rockstar Hard Savage comes to life in this action-packed blockbuster. While on tour, Hard Savage saves the beautiful Delilah Bangkok from ruthless pirates out to steal the Star of Kiwi. Action and romance follow the pair as they embark on the adventure of a lifetime to explore the lost island of New Zealand to find the riches of the ancient Kiwi Temple.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Rex's constant attempts to deliver meaningful ending monologues always amuse me.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Oh my God the "You have no time to reach the minimum safe distance" line was so good, I love how they keep throwing Aliens references in this. :allears:

There are no videos about it but that's what the announcer lady in Aliens says while Ripley and Hicks escape to the drop ship.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
All those one-liners... :allears:

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Spudd posted:

Oh my God the "You have no time to reach the minimum safe distance" line was so good, I love how they keep throwing Aliens references in this. :allears:

There are no videos about it but that's what the announcer lady in Aliens says while Ripley and Hicks escape to the drop ship.

Ah missed that one! It sounded familiar, but I figured it was just generic AI talk.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Carlyle's Notes #6

Dr. Darling continues to tease me. She said she'd sooner mate with a red-assed baboon with a community college degree and leprosy on its genitals than wear any pearl necklace I have offer (whatever that means) but she can only flirt with me for so long. On a sidenote, I haven't been able to feel my legs since the injection, but I can only assume I am triumphing over the dragon blood-empowered nanites.

VHS Tape #7: Drown me to Death!

It's been ten years since Camp Hello lost 12 kindergarteners in a freak flash flood. Now the camp has reopened for inner-city youth, and the 12 missing children have come out of the lake to play with their new friends. Would you like to be their friend?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
I also want to point out that this video has the absolute best side-mission in the game. It starts at 15:30.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

Borderlands 2 also had a TMNT mission. I actually think this one is more clever. Something about "real" turtles operating traps just works better on a comedy level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One of those turtles blew me up with an explosive barrel! He is a ninja!

• Locked thread