Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

MrBims posted:

In the books there is a time skip forward a few years so the kids are all growed up later on because GRRM realized after a few books that it was really implausible for Jon to be a grizzled warrior at twelve years old (also it made all the sex scenes really weird).

No there isn't. He planned to have one and realized he couldn't pull it off, that's why they turned to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
By the ASoIaF wiki, Jon is 14 at the start. Given medieval society, the ages don't seem ridiculous to me (except maybe the outlier olds living to ages unheard of in medieval times).

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Are we requesting sex scenes? I want one with Nana Tyrell/Tywin and also would like Oberyn to reveal that his hate for the Mountain was actually just sexual tension.
I don't think Oberyn has issues with sexual tension, he seems to relieve it on the regular.

BioMe posted:

Or the different plots just aren't told in chronological order.
The books are very much not chronological for 4 and 5 since GRRM decided to separate the stories geographically instead. The show is trying to re-chronologize them (somewhat, they have the same problem of too many concurrent plots so some haven't even started yet though they should've) and it's a mess to compare since this season has plot parts from books three, four, and five.

I'd just interpret whenever they say years in the show as passage of time since it gets kind of muddled on the occasions where age-dependent events happen, but is otherwise more or less irrelevant.

The books from Ned beheading the Night's Watch deserter to the show has only been ~two years (going by the ASoIaF wiki approximate death dates for said deserter and Lysa).

Shadow posted:

It's funny, but this brings up a good question of why the seasons are of variable length? I'd love to see this theoretical trip around the sun that this planet is on and how it rotates both on its access and in terms of hemispheric proximity to the sun.

Or you know, magic.
:spergin:

It wouldn't be difficult at all if you introduced a wobble to the planet, screwing with the orbit is not even necessary (in fact, our planet is closer to the sun during the northern hemisphere's winter... although it's very nearly circular, a highly elliptic orbit would be a different story). Our seasons on Earth remain so well defined because on our brief time on this planet it's remained very near a 23.5 degree inclination to the sun. If that inclination wasn't steady and wobbled from 23.5 to 10 degrees every 7.35 years or something, our "seasons" would be highly erratic too (much more severe winters [temp-wise] in northern/southern latitudes when 10 degrees).

That said, based on the books it sounds like it snowed periodically in Winterfell even during the "summer" years so I'd have to say the official Summer/Autumn/Winter/Spring designations are totally separate from routine seasons and, obviously, magic is the explanation for the broader seasons (although if GRRM gave a well defined history of the season changes for a good length of time I'm sure someone could make some mathematical model that fits... if they cared... they shouldn't :colbert:).

I'll spoiler this even though it really isn't (the show tries to show it, but it's maybe not obvious to the viewer not looking... it might even have said it?): it is constantly stated that whenever the White Walkers are close it is distinctly really cold (the show tends to make the frosting breath very notable in White Walker scenes). That is, the White Walkers literally bring cold with them or the cold brings the White Walkers. It is intentionally unclear which is the case.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I think in Westros, coming of age is supposed to be 15 - Jon heads out to join the Watch after his birthday, and Robb's is a little after Jon's.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

marktheando posted:

Are they in danger of hitting that point soon? Which book is the show on now?

Most characters are right at the end of book 3, with the exception of Sansa who just finished her book 3 arc and will presumably be going into book 4 next episode; Dany, who is into book 5; and Bran, who is into book 5 as well although his is trickier to identify precisely.

e: Brienne is into book 4 I think.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

Most characters are right at the end of book 3, with the exception of Sansa who just finished her book 3 arc and will presumably be going into book 4 next episode; Dany, who is into book 5; and Bran, who is into book 5 as well although his is trickier to identify precisely.

e: Brienne is into book 4 I think.

And for the majority of characters "into book 4" is the same thing as being into book 5 since only a few of them have chapters in both books.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 24, 2014

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

Bobo the Red posted:

How do you even measure a year if the seasons span an unpredictable and inconsistent number of them?

They have moons orbiting the planet. They could easily measure time by the lunar cycle

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
You can just use the stars.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Lycus posted:

You can just use the stars.

Little known fact, Westeros has just as much light pollution as Earth.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Little known fact, Westeros has just as much light pollution as Earth.

It's the bonfire Mance was talking about. They aren't going to make one near the wall, it's already going and they're moving it to the wall.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

No More Heroes posted:

I just wanna see Sansa have a wild sex scene. Shes been married or betrothed how many times now? And never gets any booty. Meanwhile...Denaerys

marktheando posted:

I don't think the actress is even 18 yet dude.

Manic Mailman posted:

She is, she's ready to rock.

lol

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

:( there isn't even a new episode this Sunday, we're in for another week of this thread

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

beanieson posted:

:( there isn't even a new episode this Sunday, we're in for another week of this thread

So long as it's tasteful.

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

ShaqDiesel posted:

So long as it's tasteful.

Hello, season hawt

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

EccoRaven posted:

That their planet has weird-rear end seasons doesn't help though. So it's no longer summer, but, now I guess we're in years of autumn?

We're in autumn -- the maesters in charge of doing weather/climate forecasts declared it so in one of the earlier seasons (2, I think). Based on the way people talk about summers and winters in the show/book though, I'd say that autumn and spring are probably shorter, transitional periods and not the many years-long seasons that those two are.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

OrangeKing posted:

We're in autumn -- the maesters in charge of doing weather/climate forecasts declared it so in one of the earlier seasons (2, I think). Based on the way people talk about summers and winters in the show/book though, I'd say that autumn and spring are probably shorter, transitional periods and not the many years-long seasons that those two are.

tl;dr winter is coming

Ned was right

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bobo the Red posted:

I think GRRM planned a timeskip for the books but then didn't do it, which is why everyone is so young.

I figured that was just medieval culture, honestly. I mean I'd assume the typical life span in Westeros is like 30s, tops, with exceptions. In an environment like that, when you're 15, you're drat near middle aged.

I mean look at underdeveloped nations and such even today. They'll throw a rifle in a kid's hand before he's even that old, and they'll gun them down just as fast. In a harsh world people live by harsh rules that seem barbaric to us, because it is. In a world like GoT - or our own dark ages - it was likely necessary barbarism.

ED: GoT does need more characters complaining about pissing blood from all their horrifying STDs though. That's one layer of grit they've definitely avoided. I don't even want to think how messed up a character like Tyrion should be medically given all his low-rent medieval whore housing.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 24, 2014

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
The Maesters appear to provide a wide range of inconsistent services. They can barely sterilise an amputated hand, but no-one's dick seems to fall off. I wonder how the whores manage to go more than a day on the job without getting pregnant.

Actually, no. I just remembered what thread I was in. I don't wonder that. Not here.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Stonefish posted:

They can barely sterilise an amputated hand, but no-one's dick seems to fall off.

Well.... one DID fall off.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

I figured that was just medieval culture, honestly. I mean I'd assume the typical life span in Westeros is like 30s, tops, with exceptions. In an environment like that, when you're 15, you're drat near middle aged.

I mean look at underdeveloped nations and such even today. They'll throw a rifle in a kid's hand before he's even that old, and they'll gun them down just as fast. In a harsh world people live by harsh rules that seem barbaric to us, because it is. In a world like GoT - or our own dark ages - it was likely necessary barbarism.

ED: GoT does need more characters complaining about pissing blood from all their horrifying STDs though. That's one layer of grit they've definitely avoided. I don't even want to think how messed up a character like Tyrion should be medically given all his low-rent medieval whore housing.

That's not how age worked in medieval times. Average lifespan was ridiculously low but the statistics were skewed by high infant mortality. Obviously you were far less likely to live over 60 before dying from some disease no one knew how to treat, but it's not like people never did.

I suppose they wouldn't have considered a fifteen-year-old a child anymore. But that's because they had different ideas about childhood, not because fifteen was considered "middle aged".

But the character ages are still off. A 14-year-old Jon Snow really couldn't win a fight against several grown men like he does, no matter how culture relatively adult he was.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

BioMe posted:

But the character ages are still off. A 14-year-old Jon Snow really couldn't win a fight against several grown men like he does, no matter how culture relatively adult he was.

But his real father is Hordor, so that is why he wins the fights... oops spoiler alert.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
The ages are unrealistic but not by that much. Real history has people like Edward the Black Prince commanding armies when they were 16.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

BioMe posted:

And I don't think dragons actually exist either, whoever did the research into the actual events this show presents didn't do a very good job of it...

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah once a medieval person got to adulthood they had a good chance of getting to old age.

Stonefish posted:

The Maesters appear to provide a wide range of inconsistent services. They can barely sterilise an amputated hand, but no-one's dick seems to fall off. I wonder how the whores manage to go more than a day on the job without getting pregnant.

Actually, no. I just remembered what thread I was in. I don't wonder that. Not here.

Well, in real life they used to make condoms out of sheep intestine...

And there was a certain plant that the Romans discovered prevented pregnancy. It was harvested to extinction.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

marktheando posted:

Yeah once a medieval person got to adulthood they had a good chance of getting to old age.

Especially if they're either rich nobles or educated maesters, which covers most of the notable old people in the series.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
If the show overtakes the books they should just diverge from them fully, and have a really wacky original ending. Then in 7 or so years they can try the show again and call it Game of Thrones: Brotherhood

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Omnomnomnivore posted:

The ages are unrealistic but not by that much. Real history has people like Edward the Black Prince commanding armies when they were 16.
Your link was broken, so I fixed it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Neowyrm posted:

If the show overtakes the books they should just diverge from them fully, and have a really wacky original ending. Then in 7 or so years they can try the show again and call it Game of Thrones: Brotherhood

Supposedly GRRM has told the showrunners how the story ends, in case he drops dead. So if he doesn't get the last books out in time, it will be time for the show watchers to spoil the book readers.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

beanieson posted:

I'm rewatching all of S1 this weekend in honor of there not being a new episode. I looked up and read some things (not the books) about the origins of Jon Snow in regards to Ned, Robert Baratheon and Lyanna Stark, Neds sister. I'm curious if discussing poo poo that is not in the show or the books but is just theory and speculation is considered spoilers?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
So I watched some movies with GoT cast members to alleviate the pain of not having another episode this Sunday.

That's not a reason exactly, yet anyhow I came to a sudden realization that these remaining episodes are going to be so good.

If GoT doesn't get the best drama Emmy this year, given what we've seen already, there's no justice.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

No More Heroes posted:

I'm rewatching all of S1 this weekend in honor of there not being a new episode. I looked up and read some things (not the books) about the origins of Jon Snow in regards to Ned, Robert Baratheon and Lyanna Stark, Neds sister. I'm curious if discussing poo poo that is not in the show or the books but is just theory and speculation is considered spoilers?

How can something be not in the show or the books.

Edit: I guess DVD extras are a grey area?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

MrBims posted:

How can something be not in the show or the books.

Edit: I guess DVD extras are a grey area?

Its just a theory some dude made up about who Jon Snows mom might be..

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

No More Heroes posted:

You mean Lyanna Stark, with Robert as the father? It would certainly explain why Jon has thick black hair..

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Speculation isn't spoilers. If it's the theory that Jon Snow is actually the son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targarean, it was already posted in one of these threads ages ago.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

No More Heroes posted:

Well it is going to be based on content from either the show, the books, or a combination if them.

Are you asking if talking about speculation at all is considered spoilery? Because I could understand that after the bizarre rage fits thrown at people who correctly guessed Joffrey's poisoning and the identities of the duel champions. No, that isn't spoilery, it just gets dumb people mad they didn't figure things out they should have.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Yeah those are the ones. If thats the case it could potentially end up with Jon Snow the bastard despised universally by everyone as having a legit claim to the throne!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

marktheando posted:

And there was a certain plant that the Romans discovered prevented pregnancy. It was harvested to extinction.

Really? That's super interesting

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Speleothing posted:

Really? That's super interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silphium

There is some debate as to how effective it actually was, or if it was a contraceptive or something that caused abortion, but that's the story.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
What was the name of that Roman condiment, like a fish sauce or something, that was so common and widely referenced as today's ketchup, but of which no recipes remain?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

pigdog posted:

What was the name of that Roman condiment, like a fish sauce or something, that was so common and widely referenced as today's ketchup, but of which no recipes remain?

Garum? I think there are recipes for that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Garum.
And we know how to make it in a gt general sense (salt and rotting fish in a hot barrel) just not the exact specifics of how to make fancy brown or easy-pour. Every house had their own barrel, so there was no doubt a lot of variation anyway.

It's one of those things where it wasn't really written down because it was so obvious. Then it went out of fashion.

• Locked thread