Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

Speculation isn't spoilers. If it's the theory that Jon Snow is actually the son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targarean, it was already posted in one of these threads ages ago.

I really hope this is explained at some point but who the hell would tell anyone this now that Eddard is dead as well as anyone else who would know? Varys?

So that casting leak that came out makes me wonder about a few things. When Oberyn kills the Mountain (Not book reader but guessing as he is awesome and MUST be around a while plus the Martells seem like the next Lannister antagonist) and "proves" Tyrion innocent, might there be a road trip to Dorne? Cersei will still come after Tyrion. Hell, I think Oberyn's speech made it clear that Cersei will never stop tormenting him until one or the other are dead. Tyrion, surrounded by nicer people, would still feel torn if he fought against his family, even if they gave him no other choice. His speech aside, he would never really want to truly turn against them. That and I want Oberyn, Elleria, Tyrion and Bronn's magical adventures on the road drinking and whoring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mexicanmonkey
Nov 17, 2005

FIESTA TIME

Shadow posted:

It's funny, but this brings up a good question of why the seasons are of variable length? I'd love to see this theoretical trip around the sun that this planet is on and how it rotates both on its access and in terms of hemispheric proximity to the sun.

Or you know, magic.
You'll probably find this interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utu-LpJn3Is

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Von_Doom posted:

I really hope this is explained at some point but who the hell would tell anyone this now that Eddard is dead as well as anyone else who would know? Varys?

Howland Reed.

MadMadi fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 24, 2014

mattmuffinman
Oct 13, 2008

Von_Doom posted:

In the books you are told who was present when Ned met his dying sister. One of those people is still alive.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Speleothing posted:

Garum.
And we know how to make it in a gt general sense (salt and rotting fish in a hot barrel) just not the exact specifics of how to make fancy brown or easy-pour. Every house had their own barrel, so there was no doubt a lot of variation anyway.

It's one of those things where it wasn't really written down because it was so obvious. Then it went out of fashion.

Garum has been found in shipwrecks, and iirc the process in which it is made yields a fishy sauce that would behave like MSG in amplifying flavors.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

BioMe posted:

But the character ages are still off. A 14-year-old Jon Snow really couldn't win a fight against several grown men like he does, no matter how culture relatively adult he was.
He's 15 by the time he joins the Night's Watch. There is some validity of a noble trained in fighting since he was a small child (probably around 6~7) beating small folk who have never so much as donned mail or held a sword.

He's closer to 16 by the time he puts Qhorin down and certainly is by the time that added event at Craster's Keep would've gone down (which he would've lost if not for Craster's daughter stabbing the "fookin' legend" of Gin Alley).

Von_Doom posted:

Tee hee. This was known from book one via Ned having a dream of Robert's Rebellion.

If you aren't super sensitive and worried about this spoiling you, the reading (with pictures, transitions into a scene from S1) of his dream will be of interest to you.

It kind of trails off at the end from the text, the parts that may be less clear are: he promises Lyanna to keep her secret (presumably, as per theories, that Jon is Rhaegar's child) and only Ned and Howland Reed survive the encounter with the three Kingsguard despite it being 3v7.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

bUm posted:

If you aren't super sensitive and worried about this spoiling you, the reading (with pictures, transitions into a scene from S1) of his dream will be of interest to you.

It kind of trails off at the end from the text, the parts that may be less clear are: he promises Lyanna to keep her secret (presumably, as per theories, that Jon is Rhaegar's child) and only Ned and Howland Reed survive the encounter with the three Kingsguard despite it being 3v7.

It makes a lot of sense though. It explains why the Kingsguard are guarding Lyanna - really guarding Rhaegar's child and potential heir to the Throne, and why Eddard who seems like the last person to cheat on his wife brought home a "bastard." It may also explain why Eddard seems to be a lot more forgiving of the Targaryens than Robert, if Lyanna and Rhaegar's relationship was more than just "he kidnapped her."

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I know it's too late, but honestly it's speculation that feels so correct that it might as well be a spoiler.

I was first exposed to it ages ago (hello south park thread), and while it hasn't impacted very much (since there is very, very little in the show suggesting it so far), like any "spoiler" it leaves a vague feeling of regret.

I dunno. I've given up trying to avoid spoilers, but, I watched the first three seasons totally spoiler-free, and it had a kind of ineffable quality to them. I'm afraid the more I learn the more I'll lose that feeling.

But simultaneously I want to talk about it with others and see what they think.

It's definitely untenable with the internet being what it is, which is why I've given up trying to avoid spoilers. But, I guess I just wish it didn't have to be that way.

e: (I also recognize that likely I'm just being neurotic, but what is an internet thread but a chance at some quality navel-gazing?)

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 24, 2014

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

On the kings road Ned and Robert are talking about girls and tavern wenches and Robert mentions Wylla and calls her Neds bastards mother. Ned says he'll never speak of it so it could be a bullshit story he doesnt wanna flesh out.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

pigdog posted:

If GoT doesn't get the best drama Emmy this year, given what we've seen already, there's no justice.

You realize it's going up against the final season of Breaking Bad? In terms of acting, cinematography, music, sound, editing, emotion, I haven't seen any area that GoT is better than.

I've wondered more than once what would the BB show runners have done with Got's story. Would we ever have had something as weird as Yara giving a big speech only to run from the dogs Monty Python style?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Super Ninja Fish posted:

You realize it's going up against the final season of Breaking Bad? In terms of acting, cinematography, music, sound, editing, emotion, I haven't seen any area that GoT is better than.

I've wondered more than once what would the BB show runners have done with Got's story. Would we ever have had something as weird as Yara giving a big speech only to run from the dogs Monty Python style?

And True Detective, but I understand BB has a lot more weight behind. GoT is REALLY FUN and there are some darn good actors on it, but it's not by any means a peerless showing beyond the clothing.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
You guys should probably stop posting book spoilers. They're not supposed to be in here, even tagged.

I hope the twist is that Lyanna wasn't sure whose baby it was, and so Jon is definitely an heir to the throne, but oh no by which line?

Then he tries to calm a dragon and gets eaten, white walkers win. Tyrion rules over one of the free cities.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Seriously how does the no book chat thread have more book chat than the spoiler thread and the book thread

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

This is dumb. Why do I want some nerd making up some crazy bullshit science reasons for a fantasy adventure setting? I think he's missing the point of fantasy in that you're not supposed to overanalyze and ruin the fantastic things by overthinking them.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Bobo the Red posted:

You guys should probably stop posting book spoilers.
If you're referring to my post:
I don't follow how it's really a spoiler when it's a dream dreamed by a long dead man (Ned); it's literally impossible for it to happen in the show.

The reason it was probably excluded: casting ~ten people for a single scene that's largely irrelevant to the show (since most big picture/history stuff is axed in the show due to constraints of time/casting/storytelling/etc. and only revealed when directly relevant) to plant a seed for long-game speculation would've been wasteful. Alternatively, it was dropped since the show tends to always quickly resolve unanswered questions within an episode or two (yawn) rather than entertain any of the plentiful long-haul mysteries.

Nonetheless, spoilered as a courtesy for people who want to avoid everything book related so they could easily ignore it and move on. Might've been interesting to those sad without an episode this weekend to poke and prod at their speculative thoughts.

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

Last Chance posted:

This is dumb. Why do I want some nerd making up some crazy bullshit science reasons for a fantasy adventure setting? I think he's missing the point of fantasy in that you're not supposed to overanalyze and ruin the fantastic things by overthinking them.

I liked the bit about what size the planet must be and the placement of the continents on the globe.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

bUm posted:

If you're referring to my post:
I don't follow how it's really a spoiler when it's a dream dreamed by a long dead man (Ned); it's literally impossible for it to happen in the show.

Yours wasn't really the issue (though as I said, this thread is supposed to be book-free).

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Bobo the Red posted:

Yours wasn't really the issue (though as I said, this thread is supposed to be book-free).

Yeah, let's steer clear of book talk, even if it's spoilered. We have an entire thread for bookchat and this ain't it.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Last Chance posted:

A huge part of the success of GOT/ASOFAI is their extensive worldbuilding. Nobody should be angry at lack of perfect internal logic in a universe where magic is real, but at the same time, creating a new world with continents and solar systems similar to but not identical to our own as an implicit detail is Super loving Cool and if GRRM bothered making his world plausible I would find myself incapable of shittalking him.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So uh.. how about the Mountain vs. Oberyn?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The Mountain resents book talk because he doesn't know how to read. :black101: ... :eng99:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Elotana posted:

Seriously how does the no book chat thread have more book chat than the spoiler thread and the book thread

We are all GRRM's children.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

rejutka posted:

We are all GRRM's children.

If that were the case we'd have stopped writing out new posts long ago.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

mattmuffinman posted:

In the books you are told who was present when Ned met his dying sister. One of those people is still alive.

Also, there are multiple characters who experience surreal visions from the Beyond. The show could introduce these plot points in any number of ways.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Well I just rewatched it and the last conversation between Ned and Jon before they parted ways Ned used the words: "A Stark" and "My blood" but he never called him his son, ever. So I'm not convinced that Jon is relagated to the Wall forever and will not figure more prominently in the greater game.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

No More Heroes posted:

Well I just rewatched it and the last conversation between Ned and Jon before they parted ways Ned used the words: "A Stark" and "My blood" but he never called him his son, ever. So I'm not convinced that Jon is relagated to the Wall forever and will not figure more prominently in the greater game.

It doesn't really matter. Regardless of his parentage, taking the Black means that any birthright he does or does not have is irrelevant.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

This is dumb, he goes through all these scenarios about how the planets seasons works and comes to the conclusion that it must be binary stars! Except it's pretty obvious there's only one drat sun.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

wisdomHNOX posted:

It doesn't really matter. Regardless of his parentage, taking the Black means that any birthright he does or does not have is irrelevant.

Like I said in this thread (or was it the last one), The Nights Watch is pretty much destroyed. What happens to the oath when that ancient organisation no longer exists? I doubt there's much precedent, and if there's one thing for sure, it's that the rules go out the window when enough power/gold/circumstance is applied.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Stonefish posted:

Like I said in this thread (or was it the last one), The Nights Watch is pretty much destroyed. What happens to the oath when that ancient organisation no longer exists? I doubt there's much precedent, and if there's one thing for sure, it's that the rules go out the window when enough power/gold/circumstance is applied.

I'm not sure which show you're watching but the Night's Watch is still a cohesive organization. Sure they are in a pretty dire situation, but until Mance storms the wall and burns all of their castles to the ground I wouldn't write them off as destroyed. There's only 100 or so brothers at Castle Black, but I am pretty sure Eastwatch-by-the-Sea and the Shadow Tower still have garrisons as well.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
I'm pretty sure the value of 100 means the whole damned lot. Rangers, Builders, Stewards. Castle Black, Eastwatch, Shadow.
My understanding is that they used to have thousands of people in ages past. Jon's claim of "a thousand" was taken at least a little bit seriously.

The way I see it, they're down to a few dozen men who can fight, and plenty of them are going to die when Mance finds his matches. Either they're getting reinforced very loving soon, or getting wiped out entirely is going to seem pretty plausible.

Stonefish fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 25, 2014

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
Do we know if anyone other than Jon and Sam from the ranging force actually made it back after the mutiny? Were they all wiped out?

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Aishan posted:

Do we know if anyone other than Jon and Sam from the ranging force actually made it back after the mutiny? Were they all wiped out?

Dolorous Edd and that other named character were part of the force. They were chained up, but made it back (somehow?). No-one else has been pointed out as having done so.

Edit: Let me just refer to my handy dandy OP... It was Grenn.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Stonefish posted:

Either they're getting reinforced very loving soon, or getting wiped out entirely is going to seem pretty plausible.

And of course, as I put forth last time, what happens if some lord sees the threat and sends five thousand men to the wall to reinforce it? Do you think they'll want their sizeable force of loyal men to take the black? Of course not. So they simply won't. Aemon and Alliser and friends will be powerless to demand otherwise.
What happens to the organisation when 98% of the people aren't in it? It falls by the wayside.

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.
Why are the wildlings attacking Castle Black when Jon told them there were 16 other unmanned castles?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Legerdemain posted:

Why are the wildlings attacking Castle Black when Jon told them there were 16 other unmanned castles?
Because Castle Black has a clear tunnel.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 25, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In reference to the show not being able to show past events:

The show has a strict no flashbacks/dream sequences policy. However they had Dany see weird poo poo at the end of S2 in the House of the Undying, and Jojen had that vision of his hand on fire that was happening while he was still with everyone else. Bran also saw a bunch of weird poo poo when he touched the tree, even flashes of Ned. Basically I think they'll eventually "cheat" by showing past events as visions now that they have a way to do that repeatedly.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Irish Joe posted:

It takes me hours to defrost my freezer and the ice is only an inch thick. The Wall is like a dozen foot wide and 700 foot tall. It would take Mance months to do any significant damage, and even then, the Wall repairs itself constantly.

I don't know where the self repair bit comes from, but there's more than a dozen foot. Maybe if they filled the top with wildfire. Or thermite.

Four inch steel bars don't seem like much compared to all that.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Jon Snow is really quite probably not Ned's son, but his nephew, and heir to either the Baratheon throne or the Targaryen one. Unless the whole thing is a hilarious red herring GRRM put in.

I really doubt he'd ever take the throne. He wanted to forsake his vows for his family, but learned not to. I doubt after a while longer in the Night's Watch, he'll then forsake it to be king, especially since he'd be pretty obviously an enormous deserter and oathbreaker (that Ned would behead in a second if given the chance).

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Stonefish posted:

And of course, as I put forth last time, what happens if some lord sees the threat and sends five thousand men to the wall to reinforce it? Do you think they'll want their sizeable force of loyal men to take the black? Of course not. So they simply won't. Aemon and Alliser and friends will be powerless to demand otherwise.
What happens to the organisation when 98% of the people aren't in it? It falls by the wayside.

We have seen exactly one person take Castle Black's plight seriously, so if that happens it will be pretty obvious who it is. That said, the job of the Night's Watch isnt exactly glamourous, and the Wall isn't a terribly strategic position in relation to the rest of Westoros, so any reinforcement will be a temporary one. I would say more about who has been shown to take the threat seriously, and the values that he/she holds making it unlikely that he/she will impose their will in an environment where they so clearly don't deserve it, but I might get labeled a book reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Unless I'm missing what you're hinting at, we already saw Stannis take the threat seriously, and that he intends to take King's Landing so he can send all of Westeros to fight rather than fight off the White Walkers with all five of his soldiers.

Worth noting Stannis only rose to the threat of the White Walkers, while the main problem Castle Black is facing is the wildling invasion that no one else seems to give a poo poo about.

• Locked thread