Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Huskalator posted:

Ugh I'm just over half way through and I'm just not enjoying the new Stormlight book. I'm finding it unbelievably slow. I'm just skipping 3 pages at a time until something interesting happens. Pretty much any time Kaladin is just hangin out with his bridge buddies gets skipped all the way through. I don't feel like I'm missing much.

EDIT: Not trying to be a total downer, I really like the world he created and that keeps me going I just feel at least the first half of the book could have been condensed a lot.

If you're not interested in class conflict then a lot of Kaladin's chapters are kinda meh but he has some pretty good ones before the avalanche starts. It's much more Shallan's show though, and both of their chapters get better when they meet up with each other (especially if you've been hating the Adolin rivalry Kaladin's got).

The interludes are also all pretty good although there's one with a child Radiant that's a little long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I've found that Sanderson's books tend to be three-quarters of people just hanging around a castle/library/pavilion learning about elements of the setting and one-quarters actual action and plot advancement. Unfortunately most of that latter quarter comes at the end of his books.

It would help a lot if he could write a compelling villain to save his life, but for the most part his books feature abstracted antagonists, so there aren't many chapters featuring badguys to break up all the protagonists waiting around for the badguys to attack them. This is true of every Sanderson book I can think of, from the first three Mistborn novels where the Lord Ruler shows up only once in person and the big bad mostly mucks things up in the background, to Warbreaker which is a book where I can't even remember who the main villain was or even if it had one, to WoK and Words of Radiance where the main bad guy is a regretful assassin who is forced to kill because he's bound to his oaths.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

The Ninth Layer posted:

Warbreaker which is a book where I can't even remember who the main villain was or even if it had one
I find Warbreaker to be one of his better efforts with antagonists. There's a pretty black and white picture given at the beginning of the book that he sticks with for a bit - he sets up the god-emperor to be the villain, his religious/servant orders to be helplessly exploited slaves, and the mercenary to be the unlikely but trustworthy bodyguard - but then things get messy, interesting, and complicated by the end. You may be forgetting the antagonists because they're ultimately a mostly faceless revolutionary movement Pahn Kahl men whose people had been massacred and then oppressed for years and a brother with a grudge Denth, who is helping the revolution and wants to kill Vasher because Vasher killed Denth's sister.

On a related topic, Sanderson really likes the idea of occasional villainy or at least moral ambiguity with his protagonists, but he always produces redemption for them by the end of his stories (if not always in individual books). I kind of hope we get a book from him someday where we get a full blown descent into villainy from a character with protagonist-quantity levels of perspective chapters. Maybe he wouldn't be able to write it due to it loving up his avalanche mojo, but it would be an interesting experiment. I just wouldn't want it to consist of too much moral moping about because he's pretty bad at writing character angst in a way that allows the reader to have much empathy.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Just finished The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage 2). Really good! Reminds me a lot of Brent Weeks' Lightbringer series.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

I've found that Sanderson's books tend to be three-quarters of people just hanging around a castle/library/pavilion learning about elements of the setting and one-quarters actual action and plot advancement. Unfortunately most of that latter quarter comes at the end of his books.

It would help a lot if he could write a compelling villain to save his life, but for the most part his books feature abstracted antagonists, so there aren't many chapters featuring badguys to break up all the protagonists waiting around for the badguys to attack them. This is true of every Sanderson book I can think of, from the first three Mistborn novels where the Lord Ruler shows up only once in person and the big bad mostly mucks things up in the background, to Warbreaker which is a book where I can't even remember who the main villain was or even if it had one, to WoK and Words of Radiance where the main bad guy is a regretful assassin who is forced to kill because he's bound to his oaths.

The Mistborn big bad made it very entertaining on read through, when you know what to look for and can imagine this evil black space cloud doing a cartoon villain laugh and saying "dance, my puppets, dance" at the end of every chapter.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Only about 100 pages left in Mistborn 3, thank goodness. Hero of Ages is at least significantly more entertaining than Well of Ascension... but man I've just about had it with reading about a 100 pound 16-21 year old girl with barely any practical training in fighting or martial arts somehow kicking the asses of 12 foot tall monsters and other magic wizards (often times with even more magic wizard powers and physical strength/training than her) 3 times her size like it's nothing. I like to think of myself as equal-opportunity when it comes to protagonists sexes, and age to a lesser extent, as they relate to their power/physical ability, but god drat Vin should seriously be dead 1000x over by now. It's some serious straining on my imagination to apply to her the sheer level of power and fighting talent Sanderson gives her. I mean, she's a lithe, stealthy 100-pound 16 year old thief who avoids conflict at the start of the book, but then a year or two later she is loving Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Arnold from Predator, the Predator from Predator, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Ser Gregor Clegane, and Gandalf the White all rolled up into one. I mean come on man, how far can being a Mistborn really take you? Sanderson himself makes the point a few times in the novel that being a Mistborn doesn't immediately make you a badass fighter with no effort, yet he continually breaks this rule with Vin. Again, she's a freakin' 100 pound 18 year old girl thief who grew up avoiding conflict, and with no fighting experience or training whatsoever to start out with Sanderson, get a grip, she could not possibly be as powerful talented in fighting as you make her out to be, Mistborn or not.

Also, I'm very excited to move on a read a book where every character doesn't "raise an eyebrow" in response to literally every single external stimuli, ever. Good christ Sanderson, there's overusing phrases, then there is "raising an eyebrow" levels of overusing phrases. I've read a lot of novels in my life but this is something I have never seen the like of before. It's incomprehensibly overused to to point where it's so utterly distracting reading it over and over again that every time I can't help but wonder how terribly inept his editor must have been to not notice that, or worse, to let that slide. I also recall someone who "inwardly raised their eyebrow", I mean, really? There are other ways to express that reaction dude, by the 500th time you wrote that didn't you think to maybe change it up?

Seriously, everyone in the Mistborn world must have utterly jacked eyebrow muscles from the constant exercise they get. And don't even get me started on people "rolling their eyes"...

Speaking of overusing phrases, the other huge one is "character X smiled" as a sort of verbal crutch during battle scenes. Every single time there is a situation remotely like "bad guy has a plan/strategy that good guy has prepared for/seen through unbeknownst to bad guy", or just a situation where a character needs to express any form of physical reaction to something during battle, you will have "charactrer x smiled" as a transitory sentence, which is usually given its own line break to emphasize it which only exacerbates the issue. This would have been a non-issue had he only done it with Kelsier considering we learn something about his character with regards to his feelings about smiling and laughter in the face of despair/the Lord Ruler. It actually would have been a good method of characterization and a good way of giving depth to his personality.

However, Sanderson has literally every loving character do the "character x smiled" thing every 5 seconds during every fight scene. From Vin to even Marsh, who really, shouldn't be smiling considering he is a loving inquisitor for christ's sake. I get that inquisitors/ruin take a sadistic joy in being evil and destructive, but it would have been much cooler and befitting if they didn't smile all the time. Not to mention it at least just would have been one less character overusing the phrase.

The thing that really makes the smiling thing turn from simple overuse or bad writing into a terrible misstep in my eyes is how it is such a missed opportunity in creating character depth and personality, something that Sanderson is nearly incapable of. It really highlights his most glaring weakness as a writer, his bad characterization. Had he made Kelsier the only one who incessantly smiles during battles, it would have been a good bit of characterization and insight into his personality that actually fits and makes sense for him to do. But then he goes to run it into the ground through the 3 books in "eyebrow raising" fashion, to the point where smiling during battle is apparently something all Allomancers do non-stop. What could have been a great method of giving Kelsier depth became a really annoying overused verbal crutch that completely lost all meaning.

I swear, from what Sanderson has written, if you were to witness an Allomantic battle in real life, it would be a bunch of people smiling over and over again like disturbed mentally ill lunatics bathed in blood.

Regarding characteriztion, I think it's funny how in the Mistborn annotations he mentions how he didn't have the space and time in the books to give depth to all his characters. He bemoans the lack of depth given to Ham, Clubs, Dockson -- basically everyone besides Kelsier/Vin/Elend/Sazed, saying how there just wasn't enough time. I think it's hilarious given that this is a nearly 2000 page long novel and he couldn't manage to give depth to all like, 5 or 6 of his main characters. I don't think space is the issue dude, it's your own lack of ability. I hate to compare him to someone like GRRM given that characterization is his strength, but GRRM manages to give personality to nearly all of his characters to the point that you really feel like you know them well, even if that character is a minor side-side-side-side character who only appears for a couple of pages. Again, it's not a matter of page count, it's what you do with the pages you have -- and I'm pretty sure that 2000 pages is more than long enough to have been able to make Ham, Dockson, Clubs more deep than paper thin. Perhaps if he would stop with the constant pages-long internal monologues given to Vin/Elend which basically repeat themselves over, and over, and over again? Man, the amount of internal monologues in these books given to them is bonkers considering each one is just an exact repetition of the emotions expressed in all the previous monologues. You could seemingly fill a whole book with just internal monologues of Vin/Elend wondering if the are good enough to deserve their roles / each other. If he would have taken out a few of those perhaps there would have been space to make Ham, Clubs, Dox, etc. all more than paper-thin.

One last thing that is a huge let down in Hero of Ages is how a shitload of long-standing questions regarding the world of Mistborn were answered away in the pre-chapter logbook blurbs. I wouldn't have minded some stuff answered there, but almost everything was explained away first in those chapter blurbs, and I consider it a giant missed opportunity and really disappointing he wasn't able to weave these revelations into the story proper. It would have been much better, and much more interesting to see our characters react to the knowledge at the same time that we discover it.

OK, reading all this makes it sound like I hated the series, I really didn't. It just has some god-awful and incredibly obvious writing faults that are baffling in how they made it past him and and his editor. Also, really weak characters and a complete lack of a decent antagonist. What it does have though, is a fascinating world (even if in normal Sanderson fashion the world seems like it's compressed and super tiny without much scope. He really likes "single big city with forgettable stuff around it" settings it seems), and a fantastic magic system. He also has a knack for setting up interesting mysteries you can't wait to figure out the meaning behind. I'd say the series has been a solid all right to good. Not great, not bad, but all right. I still don't know if I'm glad I spent the time reading it. The last 100 pages being solid gold could help some, but the journey there is over, and it has been decidedly "meh."

I honestly think Elantris was better written than Mistborn was, which seems to be opposite of the consensus. I didn't have anywhere near this kind of reaction to his writing style in that book. Here's to hoping that Warbreaker is a step up, and here's to really hoping that Way of Kings/Words of Radiance is a 1000 foot tall step up from Mistborn, because I'm really intrigued by the Stormlight Archive and I really want to love it, not just be OK with it like I was with Mistborn. I'm excited by the effort he seemingly has put into The Stormlight Archives by skimming through my copy of Way of Kings, what with the mass amounts of illustrations and obvious love he put into the series thus far.

Damo fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 23, 2014

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

I don't understand why you're reading books by an author whose style you clearly dislike. Stop making yourself miserable. Warbreaker is very different in setting and plot than Mistborn, but it's not like Sanderson became a different person when writing it (in fact, I'm pretty sure he wrote it simultaneously with Mistborn.

edit: welp that's what I get for not reading your last few paragraphs. never mind!

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I understand how you would think I hate the books after the :words: of complaint that comprised of 90% of my post, but yeah, I didn't hate the books as you discovered. There are some great ideas and legitimately fun stuff in these novels, enough to keep me going, and even enough to keep me wanting to read more Sanderson, especially compared to the complete poo poo fantasy out there that makes Sanderson seem like the God of fantasy. It's just that the poor stuff is so blatantly bad and also blatantly apparent that I can't believe they weren't noticed in the first draft and addressed. And they really bring down what is otherwise a pretty entertaining yarn.

Also, as usual for internet commentary I guess it's just easier to write a bunch of :words: about what I didn't like versus what I did. Guilty as charged. Also, even if I legitimately didn't like the books, it doesn't mean that I shouldn't under any circumstances finish the series. I haven't walked out of every movie I kind of disliked, or even really disliked. Just the ones I really loving hated. Same with books, it's got to be a really special case of bad for me to not want to give it a fair shake and finish it. I don't put down every book that isn't a 5 star experience beginning to end.

Damo fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 23, 2014

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I've got to broadly agree, even on the front of Elantris being better (and that was a distinctly amateurish novel). Mistborn just reads like YA stretched out ridiculously thin. I think I've read the trilogy twice, and I still don't remember who any of the characters are. At least for Elantris I can broadly remember everyone's motivations and personalities. Well, minus the female lead who was just blerg. I can't remenber anyone's ridiculous names though.

His writing is so much better by TWoK I really don't understand why people keep recommending Mistborn. They are not very good books.

Like most of his writing though, it is very readable. Unlike Damo I usually *do* put books down if I don't really enjoy them; until TWoK I was basically just reading for the world building.

mossyfisk fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 23, 2014

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Honestly, I think the Mistborn books are the worst thing that he's written. Book II is a slog, Book III is something of a slog. There's no distinct antagonist. Granted, that's not an ironclad necessity, but there's no characterization or anything else to drive the story without the presence of one. You could cut those three books down into one Way of Kings sized book and it would be a much stronger story for it, imo.

And I facepalmed at that bit towards the start of Book II or so where Sazed finds this ancient metal plaque carved with knowledge and it outright says "Dudes, your enemy-thing can and will gently caress with everything that's written down, unless that poo poo is written down in metal. Don't trust anything that's not written down in metal" and Sazed goes "Oh ho! That is interesting! Time to make a paper copy of this! That can't turn out badly!"

Elantris is better written, Warbreaker is better written, everything he's written is better written than Mistborn.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Can someone tell me where book three has the twist so I can just skip to that? I'm about 20% of the way into it and I already want to skip every one of these spook chapters.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Khizan posted:

And I facepalmed at that bit towards the start of Book II or so where Sazed finds this ancient metal plaque carved with knowledge and it outright says "Dudes, your enemy-thing can and will gently caress with everything that's written down, unless that poo poo is written down in metal. Don't trust anything that's not written down in metal" and Sazed goes "Oh ho! That is interesting! Time to make a paper copy of this! That can't turn out badly!"

To be fair, you are kind of mixing up events here. At the beginning of the book Sazed makes a rubbing of the steel plate in the Convetical of Saren, true, but that was before he knew about Ruin's capabilities regarding manipulating written stuff. Marsh kind of hustles him out of these before he has a chance to finish rubbing the entire metal plate, and he only discovers the last bit that explicitly says and explains why that "only stuff written in steel is safe" when he comes back to the Conventical at the end of the book and reads the part of the plate he didn't realize he missed the first time. Which is also after he witnessed this capability of Ruin first hand when something (Ruin, as you discover with Sazed) kept snipping pieces off of / changing Sazed's and Tindwyl's notes on the prophecies regarding the Hero of Ages.

At least, I'm pretty sure that' the way it went down. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

Damo fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 23, 2014

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Damo posted:

To be fair, you are kind of mixing up events here. At the beginning of the book Sazed makes a rubbing of the steel plate in the Convetical of Saren, true, but that was before he knew about Ruin's capabilities regarding manipulating written stuff. Marsh kind of hustles him out of these before he has a chance to finish rubbing the entire metal plate, and he only discovers the last bit that explicitly says and explains why that "only stuff written in steel is safe" when he comes back to the Conventical at the end of the book and reads the part of the plate he didn't realize he missed the first time. Which is also after he witnessed this capability of Ruin first hand when something (Ruin, as you discover with Sazed) kept snipping pieces off of / changing Sazed's and Tindwyl's notes on the prophecies regarding the Hero of Ages.

At least, I'm pretty sure that' the way it went down. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

Yeah, I think sazed read the first line out loud, but stuffed it into his metalmind (where ruin could gently caress with it). So he wouldn't know it seconds later when he makes the rubbing. Marsh was wholly under ruins control at the time.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I'm in the middle of the Unfettered audiobook and was struck by the similarities of Peter Orullian's story to Sanderson things. The magic system involves music/singing and it's really detailed. They even have their own curse, "chorus and quiet".

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Damo posted:

Apart from a small bit. It was preservation that ripped the paper. At that point he was very weak, and was unable to communicate with anyone. He ripped off the most important part of the document at the end because it was the biggest part that Ruin had changed (pretty much changed the wording from "DO NOT RELEASE RUIN YOU WILL DESTROY THE WORLD" into "Hey that Ruin guys alright, let him out of his prison and hang out")

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Scott Lynch: The Lies of Locke Lamora

computer parts posted:

Skin Game in about 5 days.

I guess I know what I'm reading next.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

senae posted:

Yeah, I think sazed read the first line out loud, but stuffed it into his metalmind (where ruin could gently caress with it). So he wouldn't know it seconds later when he makes the rubbing. Marsh was wholly under ruins control at the time.

Pretty much the whole time in the conventicle Sazed was shoving everything straight into the coppermind. And I think that Marsh showed up when he did because Sazed was just about to figure out something that ruin didn't want him to know.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Kraps posted:

I'm in the middle of the Unfettered audiobook and was struck by the similarities of Peter Orullian's story to Sanderson things. The magic system involves music/singing and it's really detailed. They even have their own curse, "chorus and quiet".

They're both mormon? That's the only thing I can think of they have in common. Unremembered practically uses literal LDS doctrine as part of the basic premise of the setting. In contrast I haven't picked up much of that in any of Sandersons works

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Hrathen's preaching in Elantris reminded me heavily of early LDS missionary stories. Albeit in a more outright aggressive/manipulative form.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Altered Perceptions is fully funded now. Hopefully the subject of the campaign can get back on his feet.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

I read Steelheart yesterday and liked it but wondered about a couple things:

1) What exactly happens when Megan reincarnates? Does she lose her memories, and how far back does it go?

2) If using Epic powers turns you into a class A dick then they aren't really fully responsible for their actions, are they?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Kraps posted:

2) If using Epic powers turns you into a class A dick then they aren't really fully responsible for their actions, are they?

Depends mostly on if they've ever figured out that using your powers turns you evil. If you willfully put yourself into an altered state of mind and murder a bunch of people, you are definitely responsible.

How much the question of responsibility matters, though, is very much debatable, especially in the case of top tier capes who cannot be effectively restrained or forced to stop using their powers long enough for them to make such an informed decision.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Kraps posted:

I think that all Epics can gift their powers, most just choose to use it for themselves. Since you can clearly stop using your powers long enough to realize what they do to you, it does put the blame pretty squarely onto the Epics. Also, given that the rest of the book isn't particularly subtle about it's foreshadowing, I'm guessing that Megan's theory about why they were given powers is correct.

Speaking of Steelheart, the actual number of Epics is bugging me. In the beginning, the Professor mentions there are thousands of Epics in Chicago alone. The guy they target at the start was supposed to be mid-level in Steelheart's empire, not even part of his inner circle. We're even introduced to two minor nobody Epics near the start, who are much weaker than the big ones. But then every single one of them drops into a plot hole and is never seen again. Mitosis seems to imply there literally aren't any Epics left in Chicago, so I suppose Sanderson just forgot about the whole thing.

Although that sort of just ties back into my bigger criticism of Steelheart; most of the book feels weirdly small and empty, despite taking place entirely in a giant crowded city and a lot of it in a bunch of cramped underground tunnels.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Tulul posted:

Although that sort of just ties back into my bigger criticism of Steelheart; most of the book feels weirdly small and empty, despite taking place entirely in a giant crowded city and a lot of it in a bunch of cramped underground tunnels.

I don't think Sanderson is fully capable of writing a big city. Luthadel is supposed to be millions strong yet it always seems to be empty unless it really needs to be full

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

What was Megan's theory again?

And it could be worse Nightside by Simon R Greene is empty crowded, dangerous/ignorable on a page by page basis.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

berenzen posted:

I don't think Sanderson is fully capable of writing a big city. Luthadel is supposed to be millions strong yet it always seems to be empty unless it really needs to be full

This doesn't seem surprising to me - a: I don't think Luthadel's that big; the entire Final Empire is only a few million people, you're an order of magnitude out on size, from memory and b: this is a city patrolled by steel inquisitors and Mistborn, where are random someone might decide to pull or push on your belt buckle, coin pouch, shoes, whatever, and slap you to the ground without warning, would YOU want to go out?

Plus, it's not like the protags spend much time in the nicer areas or go to market.

Conversely, I do agree that there's something of a lack of any form of happening across anyone else in a lot of places in Sanderson's work, even when things really *should* be busy, like in the Alethi Warcamps.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Conversely, I do agree that there's something of a lack of any form of happening across anyone else in a lot of places in Sanderson's work, even when things really *should* be busy, like in the Alethi Warcamps.

I thought he did a good job describing the sudden emptiness of the Kholin warcamp after Sadeas' betrayal.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Tulul posted:

I think that all Epics can gift their powers, most just choose to use it for themselves. Since you can clearly stop using your powers long enough to realize what they do to you, it does put the blame pretty squarely onto the Epics. Also, given that the rest of the book isn't particularly subtle about it's foreshadowing, I'm guessing that Megan's theory about why they were given powers is correct.

Speaking of Steelheart, the actual number of Epics is bugging me. In the beginning, the Professor mentions there are thousands of Epics in Chicago alone. The guy they target at the start was supposed to be mid-level in Steelheart's empire, not even part of his inner circle. We're even introduced to two minor nobody Epics near the start, who are much weaker than the big ones. But then every single one of them drops into a plot hole and is never seen again. Mitosis seems to imply there literally aren't any Epics left in Chicago, so I suppose Sanderson just forgot about the whole thing.

What was her theory again?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

berenzen posted:

I agree completely. I can't think of any city or warcamp that felt big/busy to me. It just feels empty with few people and everything right next to each other. On the other hand, very few fantasy writers can manage to write a big city convincingly in my opinion, China Mieville is really the only one I can think of.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
He's getting better elendel seems busier in the alloy of law 2 preview. Ben Aaronavich does a fantastic job of bringing London to the page though having an actual city to work with is cheating.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Rumda posted:

He's getting better elendel seems busier in the alloy of law 2 preview. Ben Aaronavich does a fantastic job of bringing London to the page though having an actual city to work with is cheating.

Yeah the reason he gets London to work is because the locations he writes about are pretty much verbatim to how they are in real life. He just lived in London for like 15 years and knows it so well when he writes about London he writes about somewhere he lived and knows really well.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

This doesn't seem surprising to me - a: I don't think Luthadel's that big; the entire Final Empire is only a few million people, you're an order of magnitude out on size, from memory and b: this is a city patrolled by steel inquisitors and Mistborn, where are random someone might decide to pull or push on your belt buckle, coin pouch, shoes, whatever, and slap you to the ground without warning, would YOU want to go out?

Plus, it's not like the protags spend much time in the nicer areas or go to market.

1-2 million people in Luthadel, 100ish million in the entire Final Empire.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
Luthadel makes sense because the majority of people are skaa underclass and have a harsh curfew combined with a fear of the mists at night. The scenes where he describes crowds feel packed, like during the executions in book 1 and the city siege in book 2.

Alloy feels a lot busier. In WoK he focuses on 1) royalty or 2) slaves. WoR the war camps feel both busier as well as empty with excellent descriptions if the seedier sides if Sadeas' camp and the military side of Dalinars

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

RC Cola posted:

What was her theory again?

That Epics were given their powers to test how they'd use them. I guess it's some pretty subtle foreshadowing, as it's a very Epic-centered view of things.

On a sidenote, how's the Rithmatist? I'm postponing getting WoR until I have the time to reread Way of Kings, but I was wondering how good the one book of his I haven't read is.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Tulul posted:

That Epics were given their powers to test how they'd use them. I guess it's some pretty subtle foreshadowing, as it's a very Epic-centered view of things.

On a sidenote, how's the Rithmatist? I'm postponing getting WoR until I have the time to reread Way of Kings, but I was wondering how good the one book of his I haven't read is.

Personally, I greatly prefer The Rithmatist to Steelheart.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

rafikki posted:

Personally, I greatly prefer The Rithmatist to Steelheart.
Yeah, ditto. Although as a Starcraft player I'm pretty biased.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
I'm about a third of the way through The Rithmatist. I swear to god, if Joel shrugs one more time

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

You guys are forgetting that the Final Empire is also shoved into the North Pole because the Lord Ruler hosed everything up when he was God Mode. There's an entire Southern Continent we've heard basically nothing about in-universe. The Final Empire was designed to feel empty except in Luthadel, because that's what the Lord Ruler wanted.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Can someone tell me where book three has the twist so I can just skip to that? I'm about 20% of the way into it and I already want to skip every one of these spook chapters.

Spook is the twist, unfortunately for you. His chapters are rough, but they get pretty interesting by the end.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Kruller posted:

You guys are forgetting that the Final Empire is also shoved into the North Pole because the Lord Ruler hosed everything up when he was God Mode. There's an entire Southern Continent we've heard basically nothing about in-universe. The Final Empire was designed to feel empty except in Luthadel, because that's what the Lord Ruler wanted.

Spook is the twist, unfortunately for you. His chapters are rough, but they get pretty interesting by the end.

So I finished the third Mistborn book it was okay. I didn't feel like Spook's chapters really contributed anything to the story at all.

SUPER END OF BOOK SPOILERS, DO NOT MOUSE OVER IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED THE BOOK
Aside from Tensoon coming to pick up Sazed and run him off to the final battle what happened in the city Spook spent the whole time in didn't matter. If Spook had died about 2 pages into his first chapter of the book, as long as Sazed ended up finishing his religion investigation the book would have ended the same. Even the messenger Spook sent didn't get to his destination. Nothing Spook did mattered at all.

Apart from that I felt the story was pretty good. Sazed assention was spoiled by people in this thread NOT SPOILING TALK ABOUT THAT. Though after Vin became the spirit of preservation I expected him to become the spirt of destruction rather than getting both powers.

All told I think I'll read the next mistborn book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Even the messenger Spook sent didn't get to his destination. Nothing Spook did mattered at all.

Well, his message did get to Marsh, sooo...