Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Million dollars ladies and gentlemen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.
I originally did corned beef at 135 for 36 hours for St. Patty's Day, but decided to try a higher temp based on my google search. At 135 it turned out super moist and tender (cut with a fork). I tried 160 for 24 hours and it came out pretty dry. I'm hoping to do a brisket with some liquid smoke soon, and at this point I am leaning towards a lower temperature for longer period of time.

On another note, I did short ribs at 144 and a few even fell of the bone when taking them out of the bag. I would recommend a red wine and balsamic vinegar reduction over polenta for anyone trying it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mls posted:

I originally did corned beef at 135 for 36 hours for St. Patty's Day, but decided to try a higher temp based on my google search. At 135 it turned out super moist and tender (cut with a fork). I tried 160 for 24 hours and it came out pretty dry. I'm hoping to do a brisket with some liquid smoke soon, and at this point I am leaning towards a lower temperature for longer period of time.

On another note, I did short ribs at 144 and a few even fell of the bone when taking them out of the bag. I would recommend a red wine and balsamic vinegar reduction over polenta for anyone trying it.

160 is a bad temperature for what you were doing, if you want to proper braise it you need to do it at a higher temp.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
So I've done steak and salmon and eggs and short ribs and chicken breasts. I'm trying to eat a bit less meat these days though, so I'm curious as to what seafood, other than salmon, works well in the puddle machine. Anybody have suggestions?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Veritek83 posted:

So I've done steak and salmon and eggs and short ribs and chicken breasts. I'm trying to eat a bit less meat these days though, so I'm curious as to what seafood, other than salmon, works well in the puddle machine. Anybody have suggestions?
Sea bass is my favorite.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

160 is a bad temperature for what you were doing, if you want to proper braise it you need to do it at a higher temp.

What he said^^. I have messed up several roasts and brisket trying out the 150-160F temp range. I did a brisket at 177F for 9hrs the other day and the family raved about it for days.

mls
Jun 6, 2006

dotster posted:

What he said^^. I have messed up several roasts and brisket trying out the 150-160F temp range. I did a brisket at 177F for 9hrs the other day and the family raved about it for days.

I only tried it because another goon raved about it on this thread. Have you tried a brisket at a lower temperature like 135? I was very impressed with how the corned beef turned up at the lower temperature. I might have to buy a brisket and try it both at 135 and at 177.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I did a 133 brisket once. I didn't like it. It wasn't bad, but it was more like prime rib than brisket. I like my 177 briskest better. They're brisket.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mls posted:

I only tried it because another goon raved about it on this thread. Have you tried a brisket at a lower temperature like 135? I was very impressed with how the corned beef turned up at the lower temperature. I might have to buy a brisket and try it both at 135 and at 177.
Temperature is only part of the equation. But 135F/57C is pretty low. You don't really start to see meaningful action in the denaturing of beef collagen proteins until about 140F/60C. The process is very slow at that temperature, and much more brisk around the sweet spot of about 160F/70C.

So something like 140F for like 48-72 hours, like you see in sous vide, works. And traditional braising at around 160F for a few hours works. But you wouldn't want to vizzle a brisket or short ribs or whatever for 48 hours at 160, and you wouldn't want to braise them at 140F for a couple hours either.

mls
Jun 6, 2006
Got it, thanks for clearing that up for me.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Does sous vide have any potential for dessert-making? That's really more my area of interest and these machines are so cool, but I'm a little lost at what kind of sweets they could help produce other than maybe like custards and puddings.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
http://blog.sousvidesupreme.com/category/all-recipes/desserts/

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Does sous vide have any potential for dessert-making? That's really more my area of interest and these machines are so cool, but I'm a little lost at what kind of sweets they could help produce other than maybe like custards and puddings.

You can cook bananas so they don't brown but still taste pretty much raw, skipping lemon juice for better taste thus, and other similar cool tricks.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I made a custard sous vide and then turned it in to ice cream the other night.

You could probably temper chocolate in a sous vide bag.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I love this apple-based dessert: http://emilysculinaryadventures.blogspot.com/2012/09/sous-vide-apple-craziness.html

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I bought 3 short ribs and am gonna attempt the 48 hour short rib tomorrow night. :ohdear:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

http://blog.sousvidesupreme.com/2011/12/sous-vide-dulce-de-leche/

Made this once, it was horrible knowing I could make something that delicious so easy.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Whiteycar posted:

http://blog.sousvidesupreme.com/2011/12/sous-vide-dulce-de-leche/

Made this once, it was horrible knowing I could make something that delicious so easy.

I hate to make it easier, but could you just cook it directly in the can?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

geetee posted:

Could they burst? I know they don't in a pressure cooker but is that because it's under pressure or simply because it doesn't expand as much?

I summon SubG

SubG SubG

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

You can safely boil the can laying on its side (probably even standing upright). As long as you keep the can submerged it shouldn't explode. It can't get significantly hotter than boiling temperature of the water around it so it can't build up any significant pressure either.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can also do it in the can in a crock pot. No worries about boiling or the pot going dry.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

geetee posted:

I did it in a jar

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

I recently made greek yogurt using my Anova.

I heated 8 cups of 2% milk to 180F on my stove and then cooled it to 120F before whisking in 7oz of Fage 2% greek yogurt. I separated the mixture into 4 pint mason jars (there was about a cup of liquid left over) and incubated the jars in my Anova for 10 hours at 120F. After 10 hours, I put them in the fridge overnight and strained the yogurt in cheesecloth the next morning. I ended up with about 4 cups of yogurt and 4 cups of whey - I hear that you can use the whey to inoculate the next bath of yogurt but I haven't tried it yet. The flavor is a little milder than store-bought greek yogurt but it's tasty and the texture is great!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Doh004 posted:

I bought 3 short ribs and am gonna attempt the 48 hour short rib tomorrow night. :ohdear:

Good luck with this. Just remember that it takes two days and so you want to start making them two nights before you want to eat them. Not that I know anyone who has done that or anything, just saying (I was so stupid).

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?
Sansaire trip report #X:

Puddled a trio of Flank Steaks that turned out amazing. Then, I threw in two old rear end freezer burnt chicken breasts from like 1995 as an afterthought with a tiny bit of olive oil, Thyme, Rosemary and a tiny bit of lemon zest. Did like 130~140F with the steaks then bumped it up to 160 after I took the steaks out. I followed that with a trip to the skillet for a butter crusting. My guests oohed and aahed about the flank steak, but they came back for that chicken. Holy crap that chicken was perfect.

Recursive fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 26, 2014

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I use mine to vizzle up a pears in syrah/apples in chardonnay combo and it worked out well.

You can, obv, do it in a saucepan, but the flame settings on my gas grill are more a random function than an exact setting, so the vizzle gives me one less thing to manage.

deimos posted:

Could they burst? I know they don't in a pressure cooker but is that because it's under pressure or simply because it doesn't expand as much?

That's how they taught us do it in Argentina.
And it's how Keller does it in the Bouchon Bakery book (although I thought it was weird they aren't doing it from scratch using milk from some random cow he once met in an idyllic Wisconsin meadow).

I'd say you are safe.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 26, 2014

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I've heard of it being used to temper chocolate, and I've seen a Youtube video of it being used to prepare creme brulee.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
The torch really does a number on the bag though.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

You're doing it wrong. Turn up the water bath to 320 degrees F and dip the bag for fifteen seconds.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Choadmaster posted:

You're doing it wrong. Turn up the water bath to 320 degrees F and dip the bag for fifteen seconds.

You're basically doing that when you deep fry. :v:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Currently sous viding my first short ribs. I triple-bagged them, but they were floating too much, so I added a pair of wrenches to the outermost bag. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a disaster. I look forward to eating the meat and having hot wrenches in several days.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Bloody posted:

Currently sous viding my first short ribs. I triple-bagged them, but they were floating too much, so I added a pair of wrenches to the outermost bag. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a disaster. I look forward to eating the meat and having hot wrenches in several days.

I find 48h @ 65c leaves my wrenches pretty tough. Maybe shoot for 72h.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I generally use smooth rectangular granite samples or a length of galvanized chain from the hardware store to help anchor stubborn bags.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Nothing but leather pouches filled with 5/16"-36 form taps for me.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Nothing but leather pouches filled with 5/16"-36 form taps for me.

What were you thinking? You should be using bottom taps so that the bags stay all the way down

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I was actually debating getting a couple heavy magnets to weigh the bag down. Any problems with that? I guess heat will affected magnetic action.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Why magnets?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

ShadowCatboy posted:

Why magnets?

Because yeah bitch, magnets!

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Not a bad idea really. My biggest problem with putting heavy poo poo onto floating bags is it slides off and the bag bobs back up. Two magnets on either side would solve that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If the kickstarter for the Anova Precision makes another $100K, they're going to give every single unit a stainless steel skirt instead of plastic.