Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:
does anyone really not understand how this new stuff works because i could explain it to you in great detail if you don't understand.
or do you just enjoy being really angry about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gulzin
Jan 3, 2004
A little gnome hasn't hurt anybody
I love this, because everyone is mad that we suck at math in this country, but any minor changes to the way we teach math brings out this IT IS SOOO DIFFERENT bullshit.

Look, we are changing it because our kids are coming out stupid. Thanks to computers, we don't need to teach boring stupid algorithms that are quick but you don't understand. Now we can teach slow algorithms that actually help kids estimate and understand numbers. The quick method they will use is called your loving calculator.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Its basically that Simpsons episode where they put Bart in the remedial class and he was like "so you're going to make me catch up to the other kids by learning slower than them?"

that's America

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Gulzin posted:

This a million times. I am sure you all understand exactly why you carry and borrow right?

At least our kids will.
they will have it explained to them as though they were retards and then have to communicate it as though they were retards talking to other retards with no one ever assuming that the other party understands something as complicated as carrying and borrowing
failing to act like a goddamn retard is now doing it wrong 0/10 see me after class

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

Calculate the circumference of Goatman's rear end in a top hat in pixels assuming a 1440x900 image resolution. Use this to subtract 4 from 7.

It prepares those kids for the logic jumps in later disciplines that they are absolutely not prepared for right now.

The amount of kids having to take remedial maths courses in college is silly and trying to teach at a college level in any higher course that makes use of advanced mathematics is excruciating when they are being taught to the lower standards we used to have.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

lmao this is just such fuckin bullshit not necessarily because the methodology is wrong but that these kids are gonna be so fuckin lost when they get to university and their professors aren't gonna be interested in this poo poo

Gulzin
Jan 3, 2004

gary oldmans diary posted:

they will have it explained to them as though they were retards and then have to communicate it as though they were retards talking to other retards with no one ever assuming that the other party understands something as complicated as carrying and borrowing
failing to act like a goddamn retard is now doing it wrong 0/10 see me after class

So explain to me how to multiply 53 by 34. Also, explain why it works, don't just cite your bullshit algorithm.

Kids actually explaining why poo poo works! Holy crap, they might even be able to understand Calculus when they take it!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The specific images you've been posting weren't from that.

Try harder.

It's okay though, if you want to keep your kids learning the old way. We need ditch diggers too.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
what in the literal gently caress?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
sure the way we were taught was totally effective at teaching us math and logical thinking, there's no reason to change it, gently caress this dumb new way because it's different

*is in a country well below average in math and science performance and has been for years*

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Some of that seems waaay too dumbed down.

Is there a particular reason they're saying 'number sentences' and poo poo or what?

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

gary oldmans diary posted:

On the other hand this grown-rear end person can't understand the simple logic behind

Sabel posted:

What the hell do these even have to do with each other

The answer is (C), it's doing the subtraction in steps with ten as a benchmark.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

why would you need to multiply 53 by 34 w/o a calculator exactly

i've never had to do any of that poo poo in any college math-related class

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

waffle posted:

sure the way we were taught was totally effective at teaching us math and logical thinking, there's no reason to change it, gently caress this dumb new way because it's different

*is in a country well below average in math and science performance and has been for years*

:ssh: the naysayers want to believe that their kids are special and that "no real life application" will ever come from this as they post from devices engineered using complex ideas

Remember, common core is VOLUNTARY, the states are choosing to do this.

States rights :qq:

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
pretty sure kids dont suck at math because the teaching method is bad, they suck at math because theyre kids and math sucks compared to fun.

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.

Gulzin posted:

So explain to me how to multiply 53 by 34. Also, explain why it works, don't just cite your bullshit algorithm.

There isn't any reason why it works. It just does. Tell yourself that multiplication is just repeated addition, then use a calculator and move on.

There's no reason why 3 and 2 make 5. We just assigned those symbols to three different concepts that happen to all work out in reality when you're counting 3 apples and 2 apples.

Gulzin
Jan 3, 2004

Feminition posted:

But you did have to multiply (3x+4)(2x+1).

The idea is exactly the same if we teach our students the non-bullshit way:
(50+3)(30+4)....

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

waffle posted:

i dunno maybe it's because we have an abnormally high number of parents who don't give a gently caress

... naaaaaaaah
23 + 3 + 20
7 + 16 + 9
= 301,929

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Feminition posted:

What field are you in and are you in graduate or undergrad?

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Accretionist posted:

Some of that seems waaay too dumbed down.

Is there a particular reason they're saying 'number sentences' and poo poo or what?

Describing things with varied words (and techniques) is meant to prevent the ossification of thinking, so that the kids hopefully remain in contact with the concepts rather than just viewing everything as a rigid and disconnected system of algorithms and jargon.

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
kids should start with set theory to explain integration then add in all the algebra and high school arithmetic bullshit as necessary

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Marko Rodin lecturing on the common core
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI93jeaXGvs&t=13327s

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Widestancer posted:

What field are you in and are you in graduate or undergrad?

microbio/biotech undergrad, work in a computational lab

obv i'm not a math major good lord

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's become nothing more than a money grab by private industry. My college even has Pearson and Houghton Mufflin produced classes that we're required to take in order to get a BA in Elementary Education.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Akumu posted:

Describing things with varied words (and techniques) is meant to prevent the ossification of thinking, so that the kids hopefully remain in contact with the concepts rather than just viewing everything as a rigid and disconnected system of algorithms and jargon.

Your post had too many syllables and most of those words the kids will never have to use when they flip burgers and open hotdog stands in Reform, AL

Please apologize you might gently caress up our kids :qq:

Gulzin
Jan 3, 2004

roymorrison posted:

pretty sure kids dont suck at math because the teaching method is bad, they suck at math because theyre kids and math sucks compared to fun.

Math is no fun because the teaching method is bad.

Here, have another article from a Ph.D. mathematician: http://www.maa.org/sites/default/files/pdf/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005

waffle posted:

lol must suck to be those smart nerd countries getting turbo dunked by america at any objectively measurable standard that people actually give a gently caress about like poo poo posts per capita etc

Gulzin
Jan 3, 2004

Fushin posted:

It's become nothing more than a money grab by private industry. My college even has Pearson and Houghton Mufflin produced classes that we're required to take in order to get a BA in Elementary Education.

Wrong: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/edward-frenkel-/common-core-standards-for_1_b_4079831.html

Textbook publishers are fighting common core.

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW

waffle posted:

*learns math the same way as the rest of the world*

*is american, so sucks poo poo at it*

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Fushin posted:

so you found a husband yet?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Feminition posted:

lmao this is just such fuckin bullshit not necessarily because the methodology is wrong but that these kids are gonna be so fuckin lost when they get to university and their professors aren't gonna be interested in this poo poo

pretty sure professors aren't going to be teaching kids how to subtract

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Feminition posted:

microbio/biotech undergrad, work in a computational lab

obv i'm not a math major good lord

The software you use in biotech work uses extremely complex equations to model the various compounds used, for example. This stuff works pretty well and kids actually eat it up when taught well; the people having problems with it are the parents.

Would you rather teach kids or supervise lab personnel who understand broad logic concepts that can be cross applied (which is what this does) or who have been taught to a specific test and nothing more (the old way)?

Gulzin
Jan 3, 2004

Concerned Citizen posted:

pretty sure professors aren't going to be teaching kids how to subtract

I'm a math professor. I'd rather every freshman student I had be taught by common core so I wouldn't see:

(-1)*1^(2/3) =... I'd simplify it, but I don't have a calculator.

This was in a Calc. 2 class.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

The White Dragon posted:

i dunno maybe it's because we have an abnormally high number of parents who don't give a gently caress

... naaaaaaaah
23 + 3 + 20
7 + 16 + 9
= 301,929
That is a nice convenient status quo supportive post but if you think the american standard curriculum for teaching science and mathematics actually encourages critical thinking and anything more than rote memorization then, well, I dunno, you should reconsider that opinion, furthermore,

Gulzin posted:

Math is no fun because the teaching method is bad.

Here, have another article from a Ph.D. mathematician: http://www.maa.org/sites/default/files/pdf/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf

Suckthemonkey
Jun 18, 2003

Design Spots posted:

The american government.

0bama or b0ener?

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW

I love this math problem

Reset Button
Jan 25, 2011

common core
vaporwave
witch house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2014/03/07/about-that-common-core-math-problem-making-the-rounds-on-facebook/

• Locked thread