Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

gnome7 posted:

And the full image is a glorious adventure to look through. :allears:

I thought Shizuha was the younger sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Kheldragar posted:

I thought Shizuha was the younger sister.

Nope, Minoriko's the younger one, which always struck me as odd. There's a pattern of having all the younger sisters in a pair be the stronger ones (at least in terms of gameplay levels).

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If you were gonna fight a touhou, like in a fist fight or a wrestling match or w/e, which would it be and why

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Namtab posted:

If you were gonna fight a touhou, like in a fist fight or a wrestling match or w/e, which would it be and why

Patchouli because we're both weak and scrawny.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Namtab posted:

Reimu so I could pay her to throw like Lowtax

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Namtab posted:

Unzan because it wouldn't be creepy it would be manly as hell and I have a great excuse for losing rather than getting beat up by a little girl.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Namtab posted:

Rinnosuke, because while he's down I can steal his poo poo. Kusanagi sword is mine!

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I'd fight Rin, because might as well make her job easier.

e: or maybe I'll fight the other Rin, because she doesn't exist.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 25, 2014

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'd fight Koishi because after she wins i'll just forget all about it and then i'll never have to live with the shame of being beaten by a little girl.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Namtab posted:

Yuugi, so I can legitimately say I went up against awesome physical power. Nobody'd blame me for losing against her, and I might get a drink or two out of the bargain.

Hell, bring Suika into the mix. Sure she's the definition of little girl, but at least then they can play this while I'm getting my rear end beat.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

leather fedora posted:

In case you somehow missed it, the artist formerly known as littleshrimp posted this masterpiece on tumblr, reimagining everyone as American high schoolers/faculty: http://sinkerghost.co.vu/post/86215749515/full-image-not-annotated-annotated-remember
oh my god Yoshika's ofuda is a sticky note, I want to read entire books of this

littleshrimp makes me sad because she draws the most wonderful things but the internet just keeps loving with her for no reason.

a cartoon duck posted:

people apparently can't decide whether Seiga's nickname is Seiga niang-niang or Seiga nyan-nyan
Isn't this one just a pun? Her nickname/title is "niang niang", which looks like cat noises if you squint a bit.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 26, 2014

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

littleshrimp makes me sad because she draws the most wonderful things but the internet just keeps loving with her for no reason.

I don't follow tumblr, was there some internet drama going on recently?

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Exterminate the youkai.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Exterminate the youkai.

no dont

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

:gas:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

a cartoon duck posted:

As far as I can tell from her tumblr and twitter, she follows and is perceptive about social issues, which probably draws out the usual shithead suspects.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Also she's not Japanese yet dares to do Touhou stuff.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

a cartoon duck posted:

It was in 2011, some group on /v/ decided they didn't like littleshimp because she posted funny comics with no naked people so they stalked her around the web sending death threats. She closed all her accounts and asked danbooru to ban her art so they'd have a harder time finding her again: https://web.archive.org/web/20110130005547/http://kakspoosh.110mb.com/danbooruemail.html

In my earlier post I referred to littleshrimp as "her", turns out I was getting him confused with a *different* filipino touhou artist who got trolled off the internet by /v/ :( nah it was correct the first time, looks like

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 26, 2014

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

gnome7 posted:

I really enjoy this. Hope to see more similar stuff in the future. I don't get some of the stuff though... I have been behind on comics and games...

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Littleshrimp is really bad.

NiceAaron
Oct 19, 2003

Devote your hearts to the cause~

Devour or Fire posted:

Littleshrimp is really bad.

Are you saying that Littleshimp's art is bad, or that Littleshimp as a person is bad?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I sort of half-heartedly follow the artist formerly known as Littleshrimp. He/she/it has a fairly bizarre sense of humor, but an nice "intuitive" understanding of the characters that I find interesting. They completely ignore fanon and just go with the impression they got from canon material and end up in a very different place. Desiredriven is probably one of my favorite fanworks even though it doesn't really have anything to do with Touhou, technically.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

gnome7 posted:

This is pretty drat great. But I feel like i've seen this art style before and I don't know where. Also I'm disappointed that Yuyuko isn't a language teacher that speaks entirely in food-based metaphors.

(Kokoro has an Iron Man mask :allears:)

Edit:

Clarste posted:

I sort of half-heartedly follow the artist formerly known as Littleshrimp. He/she/it has a fairly bizarre sense of humor, but an nice "intuitive" understanding of the characters that I find interesting. They completely ignore fanon and just go with the impression they got from canon material and end up in a very different place. Desiredriven is probably one of my favorite fanworks even though it doesn't really have anything to do with Touhou, technically.

Oh, so that's where i've seen their art before. Is that game worth playing? The character portraits look good but the game itself looks like it could be pretty bland.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 26, 2014

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It was said earlier but it's by a dude named littleshrimp who's both a) funny and b) not creepy, and whose work has very little relation to the giant ugly beast known as 'touhou fan canon'. So naturally they get poo poo thrown at them.

Edit: That'll teach me to leave tabs open. I blame this thread for forcing me into this mistake, and so demand good remixes as apology. Get to it.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 26, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Oh, so that's where i've seen their art before. Is that game worth playing? The character portraits look good but the game itself looks like it could be pretty bland.

It's not really a game, more like a visual novel. Long "story" segments punctuated by bizarre puzzles that only exist to serve the story segments. And the characters aren't really Touhou characters but merely based on them. And it's all translated into some weird chatspeak thing.

So, uh, I can't really give an unqualified recommendation. But I liked it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I can only imagine how the net reacted to Setz.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

NiceAaron posted:

Are you saying that Littleshimp's art is bad, or that Littleshimp as a person is bad?

Their humor has all the intricacies of a bug-eyed pygmy shouting gibberish through a megaphone.

Pierson posted:

It was said earlier but it's by a dude named littleshrimp who's both a) funny and b) not creepy

Isn't this the guy who depicts Murasa as a rapist.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Devour or Fire posted:

Don't forget that they also identify with Murasa!

Their tumblr is very surreal.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

On further inspection, Nue is listed as 'Did it for the nookie'.

Had sex? Sex for what? Had detention to have sex?

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

it's tumblr, do you really want to go down that rabbit hole of fan-created lore?

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Clarste posted:

It's not really a game, more like a visual novel. Long "story" segments punctuated by bizarre puzzles that only exist to serve the story segments. And the characters aren't really Touhou characters but merely based on them. And it's all translated into some weird chatspeak thing.

So, uh, I can't really give an unqualified recommendation. But I liked it.

It's based on Homestuck, for anyone who hasn't played it but was thinking about it. The puzzle sections won't make any sense unless you've read through that and a lot of the jokes are very Homestuck-y.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

It's based on Homestuck, for anyone who hasn't played it but was thinking about it. The puzzle sections won't make any sense unless you've read through that and a lot of the jokes are very Homestuck-y.

I've never actually read Homestuck and just assumed the puzzles made no sense because that was the general atmosphere of the thing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

I knew it was based on Homestuck and i've looked far enough down that rabbit hole to understand the setting and stuff. I just thought that because it was a crossover between Homestuck and Touhou it would be kind of bad. Those two series have some of the more creepy fandoms i've seen but apparently it actually has good characterisation or something. So i'll probably look into it at some point, when i've got nothing better to do.

Edit:

Clarste posted:

I've never actually read Homestuck and just assumed the puzzles made no sense because that was the general atmosphere of the thing.

The puzzles don't really make sense in Homestuck either.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Devour or Fire posted:

Well, poo poo.

Edit; yeah now I feel like a bit of an idiot.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 26, 2014

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Devour or Fire posted:

This isn't true at all?

Littleshrimp isn't a dude either and I have no idea how this thread got so confused about that.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

WarpedNaba posted:

Don't over think it professor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTMVOzPPtiw

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Her tumblr has lots of sketches of Murasa humping people and in other places generally being sort of a creep, so I don't think "rapist" is too far off even if it's not quite correct. It comes across as more absurdist than creepy to me, but I'm not going to tell anyone else how they should feel about it.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Given how she's reacted on Twitter regarding certain recent news stories, I can almost guarantee she isn't intending to depict rape, or make rape jokes.

Or maybe it's an artifact of a younger sense of humor, god knows I made jokes I wouldn't dream about making now even a few years ago.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Littleshrimp isn't a dude either and I have no idea how this thread got so confused about that.
I thought so too, but looking around it seems that the people who claim to have interacted directly with littleshrimp refer to him with masculine pronouns. Too bad the internet has eliminated any hope of getting a solid answer on this one.

Devour or Fire posted:

Their humor has all the intricacies of a bug-eyed pygmy shouting gibberish through a megaphone.
His art's pretty heavy on references and in-jokes, but if you're gonna get mad at that then maybe touhou fanart isn't for you.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Lilshrimp (who last I heard goes by "Cap'n" now) is cool and also a girl I am like 99 percent sure. She responded to some Skype messages once and was super cool and nice and gave off zero creepo vibes. Pretty sure she just things words like "nookie" and "smang" sound funny.