Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yeah you haven't been charged yet. Cancel the kindle order, and make a physical book order.

I did the opposite a couple weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
Thanks for the help, it's sad I haven't ever read a dresden book on anything but this kindle. Amazon says it's shot because of the age.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Oroborus posted:

Thanks for the help, it's sad I haven't ever read a dresden book on anything but this kindle. Amazon says it's shot because of the age.

I'm surprised they didn't offer to replace it for you or give you a deep discount on a new one. They don't really give a crap about the hardware, all the money is in the book sales.

Edit: Since we're on Kindle discussion, anyone know when Kindle preorders become available? I'd assume midnight PST but you never know and I haven't done a preorder on a Kindle before.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
In my experience it varies on time zone. Cold days arrived 11:30ish pm, PST, if I remember correctly.

(I'm probably horribly wrong)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

There's a new Iron Druid novel coming soon did they get any better? I gave up after the lolcats thing - it was just the last straw for me.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Arcsech posted:

I'm surprised they didn't offer to replace it for you or give you a deep discount on a new one. They don't really give a crap about the hardware, all the money is in the book sales.

Edit: Since we're on Kindle discussion, anyone know when Kindle preorders become available? I'd assume midnight PST but you never know and I haven't done a preorder on a Kindle before.

For Cold Days and the last Wheel of Time book both started working between midnight and 12:30am PST for me. I'm assuming about the same for this one.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Arcsech posted:

My kindle is like 4 years old and the warranty is well past due. They did offer me a discount on a new one but it wasn't a big one. I guess I will just use my phone to read on Tuesday.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Oroborus posted:

My kindle is like 4 years old and the warranty is well past due. They did offer me a discount on a new one but it wasn't a big one. I guess I will just use my phone to read on Tuesday.

What model is it? I have a first gen kindle that still works.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Oroborus posted:

Remember you can also download the kindle for PC app and just read it on your computer (presuming you have access to a computer since you're here).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Also, new kindles are cheaper than ever, so a replacement should be fairly easy to come by.

My first kindle cost me over $300. Nowadays the low end ones go for like $70.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Remember you can also download the kindle for PC app and just read it on your computer (presuming you have access to a computer since you're here).

You don't even need the PC app, you can just read straight from your browser! The magic of the ~*cloud*~

Just finished rereading Cold Days, should've waited and timed it so I'd be done at 12am the 27th. Anybody have any recommendations for which books I should go reread in anticipation of Skin Game? The more crackpot theories it gives me, the better.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Everything from small favor on.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Logan 5 posted:

You don't even need the PC app, you can just read straight from your browser! The magic of the ~*cloud*~

Just finished rereading Cold Days, should've waited and timed it so I'd be done at 12am the 27th. Anybody have any recommendations for which books I should go reread in anticipation of Skin Game? The more crackpot theories it gives me, the better.

Go reread the denarian/lash books.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Anias posted:

This (just finished Skin Game, thanks for breaking street date on new Dresden books three times in a row Amazon.de).

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

fezball posted:

This (just finished Skin Game, thanks for breaking street date on new Dresden books three times in a row Amazon.de).

Shut your drat dirty mouth now!

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Yeah if you got a copy early, I'm happy for you. But kindly gently caress off and do not post in this thread at all until the 27th at least.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

E: nm

Ika fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 24, 2014

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Ika posted:

Some might consider this a spoiler, be warned (Ch 7)

Dude, seriously, the book isn't even out yet. Don't loving post stuff from the book here until Tuesday.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I'll remove it, I preordered it so long ago I just was surprised when it showed up today, and planned on catching up on the thread when I finished.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Broken street dates are p dang common for books so as long as the spoilers are clearly labelled and tagged it should be good, no?

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Without spoiling anything, can someone who's read it confirm that it's really good?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Srice posted:

Broken street dates are p dang common for books so as long as the spoilers are clearly labelled and tagged it should be good, no?

Yeah, just use spoiler tags. It's out in a couple days anyway.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
People can discuss the book all they want as far as I care. I'm just going to stop watching the thread until I've had the chance to read it myself.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

OneTwentySix posted:

Without spoiling anything, can someone who's read it confirm that it's really good?

Finished half of it so far, and I don't think I'll get any sleep before I'm done with the rest.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

pseudonordic posted:

What model is it? I have a first gen kindle that still works.

Kindle Gen 2, apparently the problem is i let the battery completely die so it can not be charged ever again...don't do that with yours.

On topic: How long will we be using spoiler tags? I think I may need to avoid the thread for a bit if people are going to be dropping spoiler bombs.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Anias posted:

A good suggestion. Just sped through Death Masks, reminded why the Denarians are some of the best villians in the Dresden files.

Also no other book series makes be want to get a pinboard and start scribbling down stuff and connecting it with red string like a crazy person quite like this one.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
On e-reader chat, I got my hands on a kindle paper white on display at like an Office Depot of all places and it is seriously the slickest thing ever. A touch screen on an e-reader? A built-in backlight that looks amazing? I would drop :200+bux: on it no question.

It does not cost $200+

It's like 120 or something stupid. This only reason I haven't gotten one is because my (no idea which gen, it has 3G and WiFi) kindle is still truckin, with just a tiny patch of dead screen near the bottom where there's never any text anyways.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

On e-reader chat, I got my hands on a kindle paper white on display at like an Office Depot of all places and it is seriously the slickest thing ever. A touch screen on an e-reader? A built-in backlight that looks amazing? I would drop :200+bux: on it no question.

It does not cost $200+

It's like 120 or something stupid. This only reason I haven't gotten one is because my (no idea which gen, it has 3G and WiFi) kindle is still truckin, with just a tiny patch of dead screen near the bottom where there's never any text anyways.

Oh that's where the subliminal messaging shows, you probably didn't even notice stopping buying fifteen Amazon gift cards a month when that part broke.

Also it not being Tuesday yet is a tragedy.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
In Summer Knight, there's a bit where Harry summons Lea by the lake and the description mentions circular scars on his wrists. What are they from, I have forgotten entirely.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

In Summer Knight, there's a bit where Harry summons Lea by the lake and the description mentions circular scars on his wrists. What are they from, I have forgotten entirely.

Isn't that from his shield bracelet overheating?

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

SolTerrasa posted:

Isn't that from his shield bracelet overheating?

If it's wrists, plural, probably the thorn shackles he was restrained with when he was being auctioned on eBay

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

If it's wrists, plural, probably the thorn shackles he was restrained with when he was being auctioned on eBay

Wrong book. That doesn't happen until what, Proven Guilty?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

404GoonNotFound posted:

Wrong book. That doesn't happen until what, Proven Guilty?

Bracelet melting also happens a lot later than Summer Knight.

Its possible its just residual scars from his upbringing under Justin. We know he pelted things that hurt quite a bit while training Harry to use his shield, its possible he also did things like bind his wrists and made him escape with magic or the like.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Oroborus posted:

Kindle Gen 2, apparently the problem is i let the battery completely die so it can not be charged ever again

Apparently you can get a replacement battery kit for your Kindle, with instructional video: http://www.newpower99.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMAZON+KINDLE+2&Show=ExtInfo

Just depends on how handy you're feeling. :3:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Zore posted:

Its possible its just residual scars from his upbringing under Justin. We know he pelted things that hurt quite a bit while training Harry to use his shield, its possible he also did things like bind his wrists and made him escape with magic or the like.

Could be, but it seems odd they bother describing them. Maybe it's just a weird line.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

When the thorn manacles get put on Harry for the first time in the books, he has a brief flashback to Lea using them on him before, as a young man.

So yeah, those scars could be from the thorn manacles. :)

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
Either the thorn manacles via Lea or when he was hanging by handcuffs in the climax of book 1.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It always kinda struck me as funny that Harry's healing factor, which is able to perfectly rehabilitate bone calluses and even regrow Axons after the Myelin has been char broiled, is somehow unable to deal with a little bit of fibrosis.

Oh well, 'rule of cool,' I suppose.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I decided to reread Death Masks in anticipation of Skin Game. It's been a long time since I read an early book, and it's really interesting looking back. For example, I had forgotten how hostile Charity was to Dresden early on. It's cool how much Harry saving Molly multiple times really changed her attitude. I had forgotten that Sanya is initially hostile to Harry. I had forgotten that Nicodemus is the first one to tell Harry he is not an only child. Also, he knew and respected Margret LeFay. (What the hell is up with Harry's mom? Her associations and reputations are so dodgy that they almost make Harry, Winter Knight, look like a boy scout.) Basically, I had forgotten all kinds of cool stuff.

At one point, some dark eyed woman Harry finds familiar but doesn't recognize banishes his nightmares and gives him restful sleep. (Page 150 maybe?) Do we know who this is? I want to say his mom, but that's just a guess. It can't be Lash since he hasn't touched the coin yet.

Denarians are definitely the best villains. I think it's because they are the most like Dresden. It gives the banter a nice crisp feeling. Tomorrow should hurry up and arrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

When the thorn manacles get put on Harry for the first time in the books, he has a brief flashback to Lea using them on him before, as a young man.

So yeah, those scars could be from the thorn manacles. :)

DJ_Ferret posted:

Either the thorn manacles via Lea or when he was hanging by handcuffs in the climax of book 1.

These make sense :ms: