Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sardonik posted:

I dislike how it's often hard to tell which way the objective is in Transistor. I do all my exploration in games on a wrong-way-first algorithm and it's already led to missed content when I stumbled into the next area with no way to go back and check a side street. :argh:

I feel like I missed a shitload of side stuff in Kentucky Route Zero's third act because of that. I kept accidently ending up moving the story forward when I thought I was stopping to check out side content. And that game has some amazing god drat side content, but I don't want to replay it right now because I have my interpretations of the characters all solid in my head right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I am reasonably sure Nintendo knew exactly what they were doing when they designed the co-op mechanics for NSMB Wii. "Nobody's going to complain about this game being only for casuals!"

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Intelligence provides resistance to everything, strength gives a raw armor value, dexterity provides dodge chance, entirely RNG based if it ever decides to proc(it usually doesn't.)

Now the Monk can deal with it, he has a natural 30% damage resistance because he's a melee fighter, the demon hunter, the other dex based class does not, the DH is a zippy character, very agile, you're meant to use their agility to just not get hit, problem is the game is littered with unavoidable damage, and on top of that the main thing you'd use to avoid damage requires a slow charging resource, regardless of your skill level, you are going to eat a hit eventually for possibly half your health, the DH just cannot take a hit, and this is just taking raw armor values in mind, enemy affixes and stage lay-out have a lot to do which how often you'll get or die.

It doesn't help that the DH has no defensive passives to speak unlike every other class, the wizard alone has like 3 I think.

Demon Hunters have an incredible damage mitigation tool, it's called Vault and it's almost entirely i-frames. You're intended to use the talent that gives you resource on a critical hit combined with the frankly disgusting number of critical hits you get at endgame to basically never run out, and even if you do, the amount that is needed to use Vault is so vanishingly small that it's basically 0.

I'm sorry that you've apparently played 300 hours and not managed to figure that out.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Brain In A Jar posted:

Demon Hunters have an incredible damage mitigation tool, it's called Vault and it's almost entirely i-frames. You're intended to use the talent that gives you resource on a critical hit combined with the frankly disgusting number of critical hits you get at endgame to basically never run out, and even if you do, the amount that is needed to use Vault is so vanishingly small that it's basically 0.

I'm sorry that you've apparently played 300 hours and not managed to figure that out.

Which does nothing with the absurd amount of unavoidable damage the game throws at you, which does nothing if you get walled in, which does nothing if you get vortexed or jailed or tossed right on top of an arcane beam, which does nothing the first few ticks of frozen or thunderstorm.

Vault is good to avoid stuff you can see coming like sentries or getting out of the way of poo poo on the floor, not prevent damage.

And I'm sorry that you think that forcing players into using one specific passive 24/7 is good game design.

The other alternative is smokescreen which is the most expensive disciple skill around, still doesn't protect against unavoidable damage and its expensive enough that even with fast attack speed and constant crits you won't be able to spam it forever(depending on the mob anyway.)

Alteisen has a new favorite as of 02:25 on May 24, 2014

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kulle-aid solves all problems, dude. Also that invisibility spell is pretty dope.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Is the Dark Souls ban lifted? 2nd game is fantastic in almost every single way except some minor poo poo, but drat it's annoying.

1: Repair system doesn't make a bit of sense. It only fucks you in the early game before you have any souls, and later on when repair costs are cheap comparatively, you never break anything.
2: Soul memory instead of soul level determining pvp. Casters become machine guns at higher soul levels and it gives melee a disadvantage. At 150 (around the time you beat the game the first time) everything seems fair, but you don't even really know if you're playing against other 150s unless you're organizing a duel arena separately from the game. Soul memory "tiers" are weird because it discourages new players into pvping ("I am at 3m soul memory and only sl 90 because I am a big dumb stupid, what do I do?!") since 9 times out of 10 when they get invaded it'll be some streamlined pvp build that has the lowest possible SM and the highest possible SL and the guy who's spent hours farming souls and losing them to stupid deaths is now even further discouraged from the "end game" content of dark souls.
3: Mother loving pvp lag.

Game still owns though. gently caress.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

If I recall, the Dark Souls ban came from players complaining about little things and other players going: :smuggo: "But if you knew what you were doing you wouldn't have the problem the game is easy really" :smuggo: and the situation going out of hand.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

LoonShia posted:

If I recall, the Dark Souls ban came from players complaining about little things and other players going: :smuggo: "But if you knew what you were doing you wouldn't have the problem the game is easy really" :smuggo: and the situation going out of hand.

I don't wanna limit the thread on what we can complain about. If we can all agree that there are some annoying parts to this perfect game and voice them without the :smuggo: back and forth I think we should be cool.

I'm at the Crystal Caves right now and out of all the enemies here I'm really annoyed by the clams. I was trying to pull them one by one so I wouldn't get ganged up on but the last two decided to work together and I got boxed in without paying attention to my surroundings. Yes, it was my fault but still :argh::darksouls:

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Action Tortoise posted:

I don't wanna limit the thread on what we can complain about. If we can all agree that there are some annoying parts to this perfect game and voice them without the :smuggo: back and forth I think we should be cool.

I'm at the Crystal Caves right now and out of all the enemies here I'm really annoyed by the clams. I was trying to pull them one by one so I wouldn't get ganged up on but the last two decided to work together and I got boxed in without paying attention to my surroundings. Yes, it was my fault but still :argh::darksouls:

Pull those clams back, there's some geometry you can easily get them stuck on and then stab them to death.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Muahaha Dark Souls ban lifted.

I'd say in the second game, the thing that really killed me was the PVP Lag and the overpowered magic and greatsword combos.

I feel like the game does a great job of encouraging multiple styles of play, and they can all be successful in the single player game. But in multiplayer I think its kind of silly the way it works out. Instead of having higher armors be slower, but powerful and more staunch fighters, they can nimbly dodge just as fast as a leather wearing ninja guy and still retain all of their staunchness and powerhitting. I feel like the threshold for being slower is much too low, and the bonuses for being lighter and faster aren't high enough.

Furthermore, the greatsword massive swinging arcs kind of bring the game down. Its a bit silly for a super ninja dude to nimbly dance around, or a caster to carefully weigh and measure their attacks, yet still fall to a massive 260 degree arc from a greatsword from a dude that can barely handle it. Combine that with the network code and people can just do massive horizontal slashes and wreak havoc on folks because of the massive area of death it causes. Too little risk for too much reward in that.

Most of my gripes are on the PVP side of it, so thats really all I have. Its otherwise a great game and I encourage it to anyone that wants an exciting and sometimes downright scary experience.

Black gulch! :argh:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Still, gently caress the clams. I just started skipping them altogether on my way to Seath.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

I feel like powerup progression is a key facet of the genre. A Link Between Worlds was great for giving you all of the item mainstays out of the gate, but Zelda games aren't really Metroidvanias.

Well, if that's a definitive part of the genre then being of that genre is dragging those games down for me. I really don't see how "There's a powerup down that tunnel, I'll come back later when I can slide through that tunnel and grab it" is ever preferable to "I'll use my slide ability to go down that tunnel and grab that powerup". If you really want to be annoyed by this try playing Dust: An Elyssian Tale.

I guess A Link Between Worlds isn't of that genre because it's not a 2D platformer, but the progression mechanics are pretty much the same.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Fallout 2 is great game. It also has the misfortune of having probably the worst tutorial level of any video game, ever. FO2 is all about having 15 different ways to solve a problem, but the game just throws you into a room full of ants and expects you to kill them all even if you're rolling a character that has crap strength or agility.

I feel like we need a 'PFY games with glaring flaws' thread, but that'd probably just devolve into arguments about Modern Warfare and whatnot so :shrug:

Bonto
Aug 8, 2007

Honey!?
So I recently picked up The Witcher 2, and while I love the game overall - it has its fair share of issues.

Firstly, the "look at something to pick it up" feature is extremely frustrating - particularly when it comes to traps. I find that I'll usually get hit by a trap trying to manoeuvre myself into a position where I can deactivate it, which defeats the whole purpose.

Also, outside of the initial tutorial, the game ultimately fails to "guide" the player on certain features. For example, the first time you are introduced to quick-time events in cutscenes is during a scene where you are dodging a dragon. There is no prompt beforehand to tell you that this is on the way, and the cost of not completing said QTE is death (the game also has the most frustratingly slow game-over screen) I'm not asking for a "THERE IS A QTE COMING UP" warning per se, but maybe giving the player extended time to press the corresponding button on the FIRST example of this may have been beneficial?

Another example I can think of is mutagens - I'm 3 chapters in at the moment and only found out how to use the mutagens (items that can add benefits to the nodes on your perk-tree) from a friend who'd played the game in the past. I don't know how they expected you to find this out for yourself, as the indicator that a perk is "mutate-able" is a TINY grey dot on the bottom right of the perk. I'm not sure if both QTEs/Mutagens featured heavily in Witcher 1 and they expect people to just know these things from playing the first game, but they could've thrown SOME clues to those of us new to the franchise.

There are also a lot of the "blink and you'll miss it" side quests (Ex. "Mystic River" / "Malena" quest), common in these types of games. Which is something I just hate in general - made particularly worse during this game as I'm currently playing the game at the same time as a friend, meaning I have a lot of phone calls in the line of "did you see X?" "no" "Oh then you missed an amazing sword / armour / ability".

ETA - To extend on my last point, this game goes further than just having "blink and you'll miss them" quests, and even has a "don't do a quest the right way and you'll miss another, highly beneficial quest" ones. There is a point in the game wherein you must stop an angry mob lynching a prince by proving he did not curse his own sister. The quest plays out by having you visit the person accusing the prince, who then suggests you see the local mage, who has a note in his den with a crude chalice drawing. After doing all of these tasks, the game then tells you to return to the mob where you can convince them all that there is not enough evidence and that the prince deserves a trial.

HOWEVER, what the game fails to tell you is that if you take said chalice diagram to a group of dwarves within the mob, one of them recognises the chalice and that ultimately leads to another highly beneficial quest. There is NO way to activate this quest outside of this small window - even if you find the guilty party's "chalice receipt" (seriously, there is another quest that allows you to find this) you have no method of putting 2 + 2 (in this case, chalice receipt + chalice diagram) together. And the quest is unobtainable.

Bonto has a new favorite as of 10:13 on May 25, 2014

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Yeah, I bought some super edition of Witcher 2 where you get all kinds of extra stuff and it's just too damned much to deal with. I start the game in town, and if I recall correctly, I had dozens of different herbs and powders and poo poo in my pack that I don't know what to do with. I am not even sure if I can throw them out safely. Added to that I have to learn the several different powers and melee options available to my guy in combat and all in all, it is just TOO MUCH. Can I just skip the crafting part of the game? I have always hated crafting.

I keep telling myself I am going to go back to that game, but I never do.

Bonto
Aug 8, 2007

Honey!?

The Dregs posted:

Yeah, I bought some super edition of Witcher 2 where you get all kinds of extra stuff and it's just too damned much to deal with. I start the game in town, and if I recall correctly, I had dozens of different herbs and powders and poo poo in my pack that I don't know what to do with. I am not even sure if I can throw them out safely. Added to that I have to learn the several different powers and melee options available to my guy in combat and all in all, it is just TOO MUCH. Can I just skip the crafting part of the game? I have always hated crafting.

I keep telling myself I am going to go back to that game, but I never do.

Honestly I think you can, if you focus all your perks in the "swordsmanship" perk tree then alchemy becomes obsolete (I'm not sure about magic). The only "crafting" benefits you'd then see is in the creation of the occasional weapon, but most times you'd get an equivalent weapon from side-quests anyway.

From my recollection the only time you're ever "forced" to craft anything is in the town I assume you're referring to (Flotsam) - in creating the witcher's silvers sword. After that you can sell alchemy / crafting ingredients to your hearts content.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Jastiger posted:

Black gulch! :argh:

:smug: Black Gulch owns you are wrong :smug:

But seriously, Black Gulch isn't that bad if you know the layout and just rush though it. The really poo poo zones are Bright Cove Tesldora and Iron Keep.

Bright Cove starts off with the dumbest "boss" in the entire Souls series. He's no threat at all, and doesn't even drop a boss soul. Then, you have the stupid mages with homing missiles that can change directions on a dime. After that you have tons of lovely spiders that love to get off free attacks that just chip away at your health. The second half of the level has several spots that just completely block you from coming back the way you came, and to do everything in the level you have to bone back to the bonefire several times.

Iron Keep is just long and not very fun capped off with a really lovely boss.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hell you don't even need to rush it. Black Gulch is one of my favorite zones for some perverse reason: it's full of hazards that will gently caress you right up if you're unprepared but can be neatly disposed of or avoided, and the Gutter has already warned you about the poison statues so you know what they do when you get there. I love setting the monsters on fire while they hide in their holes. It's also short so you don't drag things out and you get a fast turn around on boss fights, and it's got some nooks and crannies that all have stuff you really want to visit. Also Rotten is a pretty fun fight to melee.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
Dragon age 2 is like if you took everything cool and good about dragon age and then were like "nah no one wants any of that" and then took a dump in the game case

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Lotish posted:

Hell you don't even need to rush it. Black Gulch is one of my favorite zones for some perverse reason: it's full of hazards that will gently caress you right up if you're unprepared but can be neatly disposed of or avoided, and the Gutter has already warned you about the poison statues so you know what they do when you get there. I love setting the monsters on fire while they hide in their holes. It's also short so you don't drag things out and you get a fast turn around on boss fights, and it's got some nooks and crannies that all have stuff you really want to visit. Also Rotten is a pretty fun fight to melee.

I feel the same. I've only just collected the four important souls, and I'm already level 120 and many, many hours into it, so I'm not very good, but Black Gulch didn't give me any trouble at all. It was short, challenging, pretty and a lot of fun. It takes a little while if you want to do it right and not die but there's a definite sense of progress and achievement when you look behind you and you see all the statues you've busted so far.

Also, why is the first, smaller boss in Old Iron Keep so much harder than the second, more important boss?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Taeke posted:

Also, why is the first, smaller boss in Old Iron Keep so much harder than the second, more important boss?

The difficulty of Old Iron King is entirely dependent on how many times you accidentally roll into that one small hole that drops you into the lava.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Taeke posted:

I feel the same. I've only just collected the four important souls, and I'm already level 120 and many, many hours into it, so I'm not very good, but Black Gulch didn't give me any trouble at all. It was short, challenging, pretty and a lot of fun. It takes a little while if you want to do it right and not die but there's a definite sense of progress and achievement when you look behind you and you see all the statues you've busted so far.

Reminds me of Demon's that way, where the Flamelurker was a right bastard, and the Dragon God was a puzzle boss.

Except without the puzzle.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Taeke posted:

The first smaller boss actually killed the guy who became the big 2nd boss.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

oldpainless posted:

The first smaller boss actually killed the guy who became the big 2nd boss.

Tying in with this, I think big 2nd boss would be better received if, after you beat him, he reverted back to whatever he was that the first, smaller boss beat. Something like a flaming Garl of Vinland duel over a firepit could be pretty cool, and might make the overall fight more on par with Smelter.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Lotish posted:

Tying in with this, I think big 2nd boss would be better received if, after you beat him, he reverted back to whatever he was that the first, smaller boss beat. Something like a flaming Garl of Vinland duel over a firepit could be pretty cool, and might make the overall fight more on par with Smelter.

The 2nd boss would be better received if he wasn't a huge joke for magic users and a joke for melee that takes three times as long to kill because he decided to use flame breath 8 times in a row.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So I was really enjoying Drakengard 3 and then I got to the final boss and gently caress.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

alcharagia posted:

So I was really enjoying Drakengard 3 and then I got to the final boss and gently caress.

please tell me it's Surprise Rhythm Game pt. 2

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Alouicious posted:

please tell me it's Surprise Rhythm Game pt. 2

It's Surprise Rhythm Game Part 2: This Time it's Eight loving Minutes Long and also the Camera is Waving Around Like a Drunkard so Sometimes You Can't Even See the Notes You're Supposed to be Hitting

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Dragon age 2 is like if you took everything cool and good about dragon age and then were like "nah no one wants any of that" and then took a dump in the game case

This is how I felt about Mass Effect 2, but nobody agrees with me on that one.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

alcharagia posted:

It's Surprise Rhythm Game Part 2: This Time it's Eight loving Minutes Long and also the Camera is Waving Around Like a Drunkard so Sometimes You Can't Even See the Notes You're Supposed to be Hitting

To be more specific: it's another rhythm game, except this time the song is actually a song instead of Bell-Chime Hell, and it constantly shifts through different tempos. The boss is more like seven bosses in one, each with their own part of the song to sing. Instead of just hitting a button to counter their note, you need to time your button press to counter the timing of their notes. So, for example, if the boss sang "1 (rest) 2 (rest) 3," or "1-2-3 (rest) (rest) (rest) 4" you would need to follow with that timing. Screw it up at any point, and dead you are. And, as said, the camera is flipping out during this whole section (at times it's not even focused on the dragon you're controlling), to the point where you would literally be better off playing with your eyes closed.

But that's not even the best part. Towards the end of the battle the song gradually starts to slow down, while still maintaining the original beat counter - so a rest on the boss's end may turn into a rest-and-a-half by the time the note gets to you. And then, finally, the screen fades to black, and the two main characters start talking to each other - and then you die, because the boss sang one last note just as the fade happened and it doesn't strike until the third line of dialogue.

It's pretty great.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

Mass Effect 2 lost a lot of what I liked about 1, mostly in terms of feeling much more linear, but at the very least it added things that weren't dogshit. ME2 had some well-planned out additions.

DA2 had endless enemy waves and reused maps.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Cleretic posted:

The combat felt better, but I didn't like how the game went for a "harder, edgier" take on everyone.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Action Tortoise posted:

The combat felt better, but I didn't like how the game went for a "harder, edgier" take on everyone.

Ehhh. I think it had a lot to do with the story. No longer are we a rookie team doing the bidding of a spectre. Shepard DIED and everyone didn't know what to do, the Collectors are destabilizing the galaxy, and the council is in flux. I think it does a good job of driving home the feeling that things are not well, and even though Shepard is on the case, it isn't getting better any time soon.

That is part of what I think drags down 3. I feel like they got the atmosphere right. Things are BAD. But...I just feel like a lot of it is rushed along. The game could have been a lot longer and I seriously wouldn't have minded. I felt like they built up this rich universe where you get to see the Asari homeworld, the Krogan homeworld...but you're only there for like ten minutes each. Bah.

That and the ending.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

Cleretic posted:

That is the opposite of how I felt about ME2, the mechanics were really improved. No more stupid rear end inventory management

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The worst change in ME2 is they took out the synth-riff heavy soundtrack and replaced it with more generic orchestral stuff.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I felt ME1 and ME2 both had some notable upsides and some notable downsides and consider them roughly equal as a result. :shobon:

Though for some actual thread content: Seriously, ME2, why the gently caress would I want to follow up "Thane, tell me about your dead wife" with "I want you, Thane! :byodame:"?

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 04:50 on May 26, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing that's annoying about FFXIV is when the story missions force you to do dungeons, which are all instanced and require a certain party make up. It brings the game pretty much completely to a halt as you're stuck in a queue waiting for the duty finder to get you a party.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Jastiger posted:

Ehhh. I think it had a lot to do with the story. No longer are we a rookie team doing the bidding of a spectre. Shepard DIED and everyone didn't know what to do, the Collectors are destabilizing the galaxy, and the council is in flux. I think it does a good job of driving home the feeling that things are not well, and even though Shepard is on the case, it isn't getting better any time soon.

It makes sense for the story they went with, but I just didn't like the shift in tone. The first one felt...optimistic, I'd say? Like a really good space opera that made you wanna get out and explore all the single biome planets out there. The second one went full-on action movie and now we got Liara threatening to mind-flay someone. :stare:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

John Murdoch posted:

Though for some actual thread content: Seriously, ME2, why the gently caress would I want to follow up "Thane, tell me about your dead wife" with "I want you, Thane! :byodame:"?

Bioware's writers seem to think that nothing is more attractive to a woman than a single dad who constantly mopes about his dead wife and wayward son. That or it's just easier to file the serial numbers off of Carth Onassi and put him in a kimono or make him green instead of having to actually make up new characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jastiger posted:

That is part of what I think drags down 3. I feel like they got the atmosphere right. Things are BAD. But...I just feel like a lot of it is rushed along. The game could have been a lot longer and I seriously wouldn't have minded. I felt like they built up this rich universe where you get to see the Asari homeworld, the Krogan homeworld...but you're only there for like ten minutes each. Bah.

That and the ending.

the mass effect franchise was basically dead in the water the second they had shepard die and come back to life

RBA Starblade posted:

The worst change in ME2 is they took out the synth-riff heavy soundtrack and replaced it with more generic orchestral stuff.

truest post ever made on this forum