Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBcFqyd3h2U
Bianca is on this weeks Transformations!
The two queens she mentioned were Willam and Sharon, Willam confirms it in the comments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

CHiRAL posted:

A lot of past queens skipped this one now that you mention it...

I know Willam (and possibly Detox?) skipped because he'd just flown back into the country the day the finale was shooting and didn't want to deal with getting ready in a couple hours and taping all night, apparently. Too bad he wasn't included in the Rucap episode either. :geno:

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Come to think of it, I didn't even see Lady Bunny in the audience, which is weird because Bunny is friends with both Ru and Bianca.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Yay! Congrats to BDR!

I got to see her in Houston a week or so ago, and it was a totally amazing show. First part was her standard comedy/audience participation routine (crazy funny offensive) and then she did an Evita lip sync.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikO-aHilw1w - Lip Sync

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s0o6QblBvY - Bit of the comedy

Amazing show.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
An interesting clip from Marc Maron's WTF podcast with guest Rupaul discussing the word 'Tranny' and the recent outcry about word policing. Sounds like a good episode; I always like hearing Rupaul talk about life and politics.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Just watching ep1 and I love all of them.... apart from Gia Gunn. Not a fan of pretty girls. I'm in stitches right now.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

graynull posted:

An interesting clip from Marc Maron's WTF podcast with guest Rupaul discussing the word 'Tranny' and the recent outcry about word policing. Sounds like a good episode; I always like hearing Rupaul talk about life and politics.

Oh wow, the most interesting thing there to me is that Marc Maron is interviewing RuPaul these days. I'll definitely be catching this one.

I fully 100% agree with RuPaul's stated beliefs on gender in this snippet: "We have established that this is all a joke." And I do think drag queens have been on the front line and been pivotal to that idea gaining tread in the mainstream, and certainly can claim partial ownership of the "tranny" label.

That said, a drag queen can still remove the drag and "pass" as at least a gay male in today's society, with all the implicit privilege that does and does not incur. People who are trying to transition from one gender to another (or none?) can't erase everything with the simple power of a make-up wipe, though.

If certain terms are, broadly-speaking, being used to fetishize them and further otherize them while they're in a particularly vulnerable position, like ... who is actively being hurt if you stop using the labels that do double-duty as slurs?

I've known too many people in my life who were hurt by tranny/she-male/ladyboy to just brush it aside as folks being oversensitive tumblr warriors; I think this is something that RuPaul will come down on the wrong side of history with (at least until the labels are reclaimed and actually socially-acceptable in 2098 or whatever).

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

notaspy posted:

Just watching ep1 and I love all of them.... apart from Gia Gunn. Not a fan of pretty girls. I'm in stitches right now.

I recently rewatched this season without Untucked, and I liked her a lot more. She's pretty funny and ridiculous, and when you watch without the drama she comes off more likable. Laganja is awful with and without Untucked.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

I've known too many people in my life who were hurt by tranny/she-male/ladyboy to just brush it aside as folks being oversensitive tumblr warriors; I think this is something that RuPaul will come down on the wrong side of history with (at least until the labels are reclaimed and actually socially-acceptable in 2098 or whatever).
Definitely agree with your post, and your point about partial ownership is really important to this discussion. It's not a black and white issue like how it's presented on the majority of the internet. You can only reclaim a slur if it applies to you. The main argument here seems to be whether erroneously being called a tranny/shemale/ladyboy--versus being targeted with those slurs because you're actually transgender, which is what the words actually refer to--allows cisgender gay men to reclaim the word.

It definitely isn't just fringe SJWs who are bothered by the usage of the word by someone who isn't trans--Carmen Carrera spoke up about it too. Hell, I'm trans and am totally fine with being called a tranny, shemale, or ladyboy, but I'm not MTF, and I also have never had those or any other transphobic slurs thrown at me as insults. People who have and do have a right to say that it pisses them off when someone who isn't trans tosses the word around casually. It's kinda lovely to just tell those people to get over it. I get where Ru is coming from, but I don't think he has thought this out fully.

e: vvvvv :sparkles::hf::sparkles:

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 23, 2014

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth
Bianca avatar realness

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Bianca avatars... so jealous.

Bianca released her tour dates, it's quite aggressive. Good for her.

afterhours
Jul 1, 2007
Did Absolut Vodka sponsor drag race this year? I thought they were the ones that paid for the tours and stuff.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

afterhours posted:

Did Absolut Vodka sponsor drag race this year? I thought they were the ones that paid for the tours and stuff.

I think Bianca's was more just in general tour dates, but Denver always seems to be the last stop of the tour and according to the club's website it is happening this year. However, Adore's site lists her as booked here and Bianca's does not.

here is the event listing

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Just gave $100 to Hurricane Bianca fundraiser to get Bianca to do my voicemail greeting. I'm deaf but people keep calling me even when I tell them to email or text me so having Bianca chew them out for it would be glorious. I'm so excited! :neckbeard:

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

We're going to need your phone number after that happens.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
The Season 6 Top 4 are performing together at Toronto Pride on Thursday June 26th.

It's FREE. I might have to go to my first real drag show.

edit: AND THE 28th

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

As a hetersexual male that (attempted to this season, but work/hockey/whatnot got in the way) watches Drag Race, did anyone make a "SOME PEOPLE WEREN'T LIKIN' IT!" reference in re: Adore Delano?

Because, as a Soup fan, this may be important.

(for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJXId1XLFBA)

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Has anyone been following the tranny drama the past few days? Seems like RuPaul was waiting for the season to be over before speaking his mind.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Tomato Soup posted:

Just gave $100 to Hurricane Bianca fundraiser to get Bianca to do my voicemail greeting. I'm deaf but people keep calling me even when I tell them to email or text me so having Bianca chew them out for it would be glorious. I'm so excited! :neckbeard:

I think this is amazing and you should let us know what she says in the greeting.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

the truth posted:

Has anyone been following the tranny drama the past few days? Seems like RuPaul was waiting for the season to be over before speaking his mind.

What's the latest? I'm on the fence on this issue.

I am currently dealing with an issue at work where I see people bullying a trans co-worker, but only because the co-workers sister works in the same department, and encourages bashing him publicly. Apparently the girl is getting married, and her trans brother (ftm) doesn't want to wear anything remotely female. The girl consistently (and loudly) berates her brother, and threatens putting him in a pink dress for the wedding, and others join in on the fun. My male co-workers (cis) will NOT refer to him as male, and call him by his birth name (female). Apparently they feel justified, because my trans co-worker is lazy, and moody.

I honestly can't wait till I transfer out of that store.

As much as I do not like people victimizing themselves, and do understand where Ru is coming from, there is so much to real trans and gender identity struggles.

I just don't know right now. I don't know if I should stand up for being stronger, or should we not tolerate people who use offensive slang?

Bianca is someone to really look at- The material that is used in their show is quite offensive, but Bianca is at least apologetic to those who don't get her act. Have we as a society gotten so sensitive, that we cannot have a good ol laugh when we know that the words are used for the purpose of humor?

I feel that some people reach a little too far to draw the negativity toward them.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Lazy and moody? Are you sure he's not just depressed? Or that they feel justified because no one gets in their way?
I'm a bit shocked at your attitude tbh. That's genuine bullying and discrimination...

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Yeah, that's definitely at the least harassment, if not sexual harassment and discrimination. You should tell your coworker to find an advocate because they probably could sue the poo poo out of the company for allowing that poo poo to go on in the workplace.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

CHiRAL posted:

Lazy and moody? Are you sure he's not just depressed? Or that they feel justified because no one gets in their way?
I'm a bit shocked at your attitude tbh. That's genuine bullying and discrimination...

The WHOLE store is like that, though. Not a lot of LGBT support. I did talk to my supervisor about how I felt upset about it, but in the past I've been labeled as a tattle-tale, so it doesn't help if I try to defend my co-worker. I did however tell my co-worker that if this becomes a thing where he needs someone to back him up, I will. I just don't ever hear him do much but lightly complain, and then involve himself in the jokes, and try to laugh it off. It's really disappointing.

My managers tell me to leave the issue alone, because it's sibling rivalry, and until he says something, I shouldn't be involved.

I can't afford to lose my job if they see me as someone who's trying to stir the pot. It's really that bad there. (The management does not give a gently caress, the store is union, and everyone but a few people are set in their ways. I've been through a harassment issue recently, and it got better because I finally made it serious. People were publicly in front of customers chit chatting about how I needed a pregnancy test, because I was sleeping with a manager that I apparently flirted with. The manager in question did nothing to stop the jokes from happening, so I took it above him, and told someone to handle it, or else I would get my union rep involved. It didn't take any longer than a week for him to start joking around about me and someone else loving.)

I am trying to get my co-worker to transfer out to a store that is much more LGBT friendly, like Capitol Hill's.

Bina fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 26, 2014

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
I just hope it doesn't escalate into violence, there's so little understanding for trans people even going above your managers could be futile..

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
That is seriously hosed up and infuriating. :/

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

CHiRAL posted:

I just hope it doesn't escalate into violence, there's so little understanding for trans people even going above your managers could be futile..

I won't let it. My co-worker and I have an understanding that at least I use proper pronouns. I get fist-bumped all the time when I remind him that I get it. (I also remind him to just cool off if he gets too frustrated, because it's not worth it.) I am trying to explain things to some co-workers who are genuinely interested (the ones that seem able to think outside the box, bu usually cower in fear, and 'mind their own business'), but stay away from the ones that don't tolerate him (transphobic and misogynistic ones). The employees who work at different stores who cover shifts once in a while get it. I just had a conversation yesterday about how my co-worker was being harassed, and he was in a terrible mood, and I told them why, and they looked at me with their jaw practically on the floor. At their store, they wouldn't ever allow that. You may get yelled at if you're lazy, but they would at least use the correct pronouns.

I am going to call my union rep for advice, as she is educated in LGBT situations. The problem here isn't that nothing can be done, it's that my trans co-worker feels so down, that he won't defend the issue, and ask people to stop (He only complains about it to people he deem safe). I feel as if he's given up. I am going to try to get my union rep to call him, and hopefully he can confide in her.

Another issue is that that store specifically has so many 'old timers' in it, that management and some people in corporate are all buddy buddy. There are some people there who get away with murder. I just hope none of them get involved with my trans co-worker. It would be futile at that point. I couldn't bear seeing his sister gang up with those people against her own brother for the sake of 'saving him' from sin.

I do have hopes for him, though. I do know that every time the wedding thing is brought up, he starts yelling at her, and making sure people know that there is an issue with the dress idea.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

the truth posted:

Has anyone been following the tranny drama the past few days?

I've been following it pretty avidly, since the RuPaul WTF podcast interview sparked off another series of Facebook/Twitter drama aftershocks that have been ridiculously entertaining, but it's nothing you can't already guess at. (The Drag Race subreddit's been overflowing with reactions and responses if you want to dig through them.) I honestly don't feel like talking about what queen said what after Bina's posts, because they so clearly illustrate how this "controversy" means absolutely nothing in comparison to the pain that assholes are inflicting on people being themselves.

Pandora did, however, recently repost a link to a blog post by gender theorist Kate Bornstein that articulates the whole issue in ways far more meaningful that I ever could — if only because she's someone who's really been in the trenches of queer culture over the past few decades. Bornstein also wrote a more recent post on the controversy that I quite liked. Alternative views welcomed if you disagree, of course.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

We're going to need your phone number after that happens.

Oraculum Animi posted:

I think this is amazing and you should let us know what she says in the greeting.

I'll post the recording here when I get it :) Or at least a transcript.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
So count me in as a new fan of the show!! I marathoned Season 6 last week and I ended up getting myself hooked. BenDeLaCreme is ♥ ADORABLE ♥ and I really grew to love Bianca after feeling like I wouldn't like her at all. I might toss some money to her movie, but I don't have enough for a hilariously catty voicemail yet :(

I'm working backwards through the past seasons now. Coco Montrese's eyes freak me out.

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004

Miss Kalle posted:

Coco Montrese's eyes freak me out.

Those contacts are the worst but at least it turns out she could take a joke.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
Ahahaha wow. That is magnificent.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Is there a drag family tree out there? So we know that LaGanja is the daughter of Alyssa Edwards and Ivy Winters is connected the Lady Bunny, i would like to know the other connections.

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004

Chad Michaels is drag mother to Morgan McMichaels

Alyssa Edwards is drag mother to Shangela and Laganga Estranga

Alissa Summers and Alexis Mateo are drag sisters

Madam LaQueer is drag mother to Lineysha Sparx

Nicole Paige Brooks is drag mother to Phoenix

Darienne Lake is drag mother to Pandora Boxx

Dream Girls Review (not a family but they worked together)

Chad Michaels

Delta Work

Morgan McMichaels

Shannel

Sonique

Venus D-Lite

Detox Icunt

Raja Gemini

DWV
Willam and Detox's musical stylings (with Vicky Vox who hasn't been on Drag Race)

Transfashionable
Willam and Courtney Act were on it together

Seattle Scene
Jinx Monsoon and Ben Delacreme have worked together

Once upon a time Sharon Needles and Alaska Thunderfvck were dating

Bianca del Rio knows Lady Bunny (in the Biblical sense)

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiivvvvvvy Winterssssssss has made dresses forrrrr
Lady Bunny

and Manila Luzon

I'm not including post show colabs because they're all working together now.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Hey Girl posted:

Bianca del Rio knows Lady Bunny (in the Biblical sense)

Oh my God this is perfect. Best Bianca stankface I've ever seen :laffo:

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Hey Girl posted:

Venus D-Lite

Detox Icunt

excellent post! these two are strangely hypnotic :aaa:

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

I think technically Detox is Vicky Vox's "drag mom" but they rarely use the label except jokingly. I also wanna say Detox and Roxxxy Andrews consider themselves drag sisters but I don't remember where I'm getting that from!

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

I think technically Detox is Vicky Vox's "drag mom" but they rarely use the label except jokingly. I also wanna say Detox and Roxxxy Andrews consider themselves drag sisters but I don't remember where I'm getting that from!

How about alllllllllllllll of Season 5.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Hahaha, well yeah, I know they're close friends but I don't remember if they explicitly name each other as drag sisters or if it even makes a difference since they did start out together.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Sonique has chimed in on the latest drama and I agree with every word so here it is!

Sonique Love posted:

This is all I'm saying today about this. Some people think Ru saying he has been a "Tranny" for 32 years is not correct...
"Tranny" doesn't mean just transgendered or transexual, it also means Transvestite which RuPaul is. Trans means to change "tranny" is slag so we dont have to say the whole word. It's not the noun that's the issue it's the adjective behind or in front of it. Drag Queens may not live as women but when they are dressed like the opposite sex for that moment they have transitioned into someone else. Before I was ever on hormones and living as a woman on the outside, I was considered transgendered, but the world seen me as a male. I was still TRANS, even when I was performing as a drag queen.
Although we may not all have the same lifestyle we are a minority in the same boat, so what makes one better than the other? Me being a transexual women having breast implants and FFS and living as female makes me superior of the word "Tranny" to a transvestite? No, they get beat up and called names and murdered by the same people. We are a team, not a pie so all this separating each other needs to stop. We need each other more than ever, I mean look at what we are becoming... so hateful over a short-cut word. I understand both sides of the fence, because I lived on both sides, but I think we are taking this just a little to far.
Also, I think the people attacking Carmen Carrera and Ru is messed up and wrong. They have a right to feel the way they do about this subject, its all a matter of opinion. If you don't like the word, don't use it, and if you do like it don't abuse it. It's really that simple. When you take something away and say it's wrong it makes it much more tempting to bullies and haters to use. Please don't give that word no more power than it deserves.
Love is the only thing worth fight for.
xo- Sonique Love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Bianca said Carmen Carrera should take what's left of her dick, stick it in her mouth, and shut up.

Shots fired.

• Locked thread