Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
As someone who's played Mass Effect 2, there is nothing sexier to me than harassing some poor guy while he's trying to work. :allears:

Also, I never play as male characters in general so I wouldn't know about dude Shepard's romance choices but lady Shepard's picks are not very good. There's a really boring guy who becomes useless in combat early on and will later cheat on you, a spiky alien who is just awkward to talk to and the mopey frog single dad who will die in the next game anyway.

The thing I do like about playing as female Shepard is that her voice actor does a much better job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Alouicious posted:

truest post ever made on this forum

Seriously, god drat. I never thought about it before, but ME1's soundtrack is just so boss because it's not generic orchestral stuff. I like orchestral stuff, but god damnit there's a time and place, and 'Space Adventure' is neither.

ME1 tried to be everything I could have wanted. It's a fancy loving space adventure about going to strange new planets and shooting everything, and it does that perfectly. Sure the inventory is barely even a system, and when you actually get into areas of action it's pretty samey, but it tried to embrace exploring strange new worlds and basically being a Star Trek game,and it succeeded in most areas. Gameplay-wise I liked how much power and customizability it felt like I had, you could really proeprly devastate your enemies if you build right.

ME2 just took out everything I liked about the game except for the setting, and replaced it with Gears of War and a cast that was 80% bad. That didn't work.

Celery Face posted:

As someone who's played Mass Effect 2, there is nothing sexier to me than harassing some poor guy while he's trying to work. :allears:

Also, I never play as male characters in general so I wouldn't know about dude Shepard's romance choices but lady Shepard's picks are not very good. There's a really boring guy who becomes useless in combat early on and will later cheat on you, a spiky alien who is just awkward to talk to and the mopey frog single dad who will die in the next game anyway.

I think it rather says something that having a fling with your secretary is by a wide margin the least bad romantic choice you can make in ME2. Dude-Shep gets Miranda, Tali and Jack to pick from, by the way, so I think he's got an even worse selection than Lady-Shep.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Romance options in pretty much any video game are really, really awkward.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Another thing I don't like about Mass Effect 2: Miranda is terrible and I hate her. She's kind of like Morrigan from Dragon Age in that there is nothing to like about her and if you bring her along, she'll just bitch at you for helping people. But at least Morrigan actually had a pretty crappy past. Miranda's tragic backstory, from what I can remember, is "Oh boo-hoo, my dad genetically engineered me to be perfect!"

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 06:34 on May 26, 2014

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

The worst change in ME2 is they took out the synth-riff heavy soundtrack and replaced it with more generic orchestral stuff.

The Faunts song in ME1 was amazing. It was just the credits, but still, holy poo poo, best credits song since Homeworld. And I had decent hope for ME2's soundtrack, like when they had the trailer with the "The Day the World Went Away" cover.

But nope, orchestral crap.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I mean Suicide Mission is a decent track but nothing else even comes close to like 90% of the music in 1

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
ME3 actually had a good orchestral track, An End Once and For All, but it shat up the end right as it was building to something great, because we have to have it synching up with the "Haha, gently caress you, you thought this ending might not suck" wave catching up with the normandy.

E:They didn't do that with the extended cut version, and it's actually pretty good, if a little dragged out.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

kazil posted:

They're pretty cool in Saints Row IV.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Celery Face posted:

Another thing I don't like about Mass Effect 2: Miranda is terrible and I hate her. She's kind of like Morrigan from Dragon Age in that there is nothing to like about her and if you bring her along, she'll just bitch at you for helping people. But at least Morrigan actually had a pretty crappy past. Miranda's tragic backstory, from what I can remember, is "Oh boo-hoo, my dad genetically engineered me to be perfect!"

I liked Morrigan, but that may just be because I like Claudia Black. It was kind of annoying that she complained about helping people though, because it's not like I was even really being altruistic. I was helping people so they'd give me stuff. On the other hand, it is pretty ridiculous that with the world in danger you can safely take time out to help every random person you meet with some trivial task and she does kind of have a point in saying that you have better things to do.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Faunts song in ME1 was amazing. It was just the credits, but still, holy poo poo, best credits song since Homeworld. And I had decent hope for ME2's soundtrack, like when they had the trailer with the "The Day the World Went Away" cover.

But nope, orchestral crap.

Mass Effect 3 did at least end with another Faunts song, so there is that. I really like all three for the most part, though I wish another game would come along that tried to do what the first one did instead of just tossing away most of the gameplay that Bioware didn't get right the first time.

quote:

On the other hand, it is pretty ridiculous that with the world in danger you can safely take time out to help every random person you meet with some trivial task and she does kind of have a point in saying that you have better things to do.

On the other hand I agreed with her in the mage tower without really paying attention and ended up killing the healer npc, so you should probably only occasionally agree with her. :v:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

On the other hand I agreed with her in the mage tower without really paying attention and ended up killing the healer npc, so you should probably only occasionally agree with her. :v:
In terms of how things actually play out in the game, she is absolutely wrong almost all the time. But she would be right quite a lot if it were more realistic. Like, in the game you actually have unlimited time so you can do every side-quest. If there were an actual invasion of monsters imminent, you wouldn't have time to gently caress around with all that bullshit.

Also, that conversation in the mage tower is terrible. I had to reload a save and do it again because I was tying to go for the middle option of "Well, let's not decide what to do until we actually see what the situation is." but that doesn't seem to be an option. You're either with Wynne or against her, and once you pass a certain point in the conversation, even though the argument continues, you seem to be locked into whichever choice it thinks you made.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Also, that conversation in the mage tower is terrible. I had to reload a save and do it again because I was tying to go for the middle option of "Well, let's not decide what to do until we actually see what the situation is." but that doesn't seem to be an option. You're either with Wynne or against her, and once you pass a certain point in the conversation, even though the argument continues, you seem to be locked into whichever choice it thinks you made.

Is it even possible to avoid Wynne attacking you if you have Morrigan with you in that conversation?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

kazil posted:

I'm pretty sure Bioware just includes them so you can make an incredibly ugly character and then giggle while you watch them awkwardly grope a dwarf or an alien.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I hated Morrigan because she was incredibly smug about you helping people when it was obvious that it would benefit you greatly to help them.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
In Ocarina of Time there's a puzzle where you have to play the wind song to make a windmill turn. I got stuck on this until I found out you have to play the song inside the windmill.

In Dark Souls 2 you have to burn a windmill at one point. I kept falling off and dying while trying to light the wooden blades on fire. Turns out you're supposed to walk up to the metal cylinder in the center and... uh, set it on fire? There's a cutscene with the big metal cylinder bursting into flames, it's really weird.

I just feel like these games are penalizing me for having a rudimentary understanding of windmills man

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

swamp waste posted:

In Dark Souls 2 you have to burn a windmill at one point. I kept falling off and dying while trying to light the wooden blades on fire. Turns out you're supposed to walk up to the metal cylinder in the center and... uh, set it on fire? There's a cutscene with the big metal cylinder bursting into flames, it's really weird.

I just feel like these games are penalizing me for having a rudimentary understanding of windmills man

I had to google to find out that was even a thing you could do. Some of the Dark Souls 2 boss gimmicks are mind bogglingly poorly communicated. It isn't even close to newgrounds flash adventure game "use knife on banana for fishbait" levels of bad but it's not that far off either. :psyduck:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

kazil posted:

Kotor 2 had pretty good romances. If you treat Visa Marrs nicely when you first meet her, Kreia will warn you about getting intimate with her. One of your possible responses is "Just because I saved her doesn't mean I want to charge up her loading ramp!"

:allears:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lord Lambeth posted:

Kotor 2 had pretty good romances. If you treat Visa Marrs nicely when you first meet her, Kreia will warn you about getting intimate with her. One of your possible responses is "Just because I saved her doesn't mean I want to charge up her loading ramp!"

:allears:
The whole romancing your party members concept is also ripped apart with the fact that you're actually unconsciously mind-controlling them all to stay with you due to the sheer power of your Force abilities. The Exile is practically turning all the party into your usual cast of RPG sycophant party members in-universe. It's really neat they actually played with gameplay elements like that.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Accordion Man posted:

The whole romancing your party members concept is also ripped apart with the fact that you're actually unconsciously mind-controlling them all to stay with you due to the sheer power of your Force abilities. The Exile is practically turning all the party into your usual cast of RPG sycophant party members in-universe. It's really neat they actually played with gameplay elements like that.
Something that dragged down the Mass Effect series for me was definitely being spoiled by that reveal in KotOR II. For three loving games, I was nursing a pet theory that Shepard's original exposure to the beacon on Eden Prime would somehow manifest in a subliminal indoctrination field around her to inspire such feverish loyalty in her crew.

But nope. Shepard is just awesome enough to inspire people that way, I guess. :geno:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

swamp waste posted:

In Ocarina of Time there's a puzzle where you have to play the wind song to make a windmill turn. I got stuck on this until I found out you have to play the song inside the windmill.

My Ico disc stopped working when I was trying to solve some windmill puzzle.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I really like Toukiden, because it's basically Monster Hunter without most of the tedious grognard stuff that plagues that series, but it's still pretty grindy at times and getting a useful item for breaking an oni's body parts is still a crapshoot.

For example, one quest (that you need to do to upgrade your mitamas, which give you your non-weapon abilities, beyond level 8) requires you to get 5 items that you need to break a specific part of a specific monster to maybe get.

Cleretic posted:

This is how I felt about Mass Effect 2, but nobody agrees with me on that one.
Mass Effect 2 is a much better game than Mass Effect was, but it lacked a lot of the charm of the original and the overarching story was pretty haphazard.

Dragon Age 2 is just plain terrible.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Transistor froze and wiped my save when I force quit. I restarted and the game froze in the very same place it did the first time I played (exiting the Goldwalk Channel into Goldwalk Plaza). I'm wary about playing further as is because it's likely that it'll eat another save when it freezes at the other points it has already. I'll wait on a patch.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

U.T. Raptor posted:

Mass Effect 2 is a much better game than Mass Effect was, but it lacked a lot of the charm of the original and the overarching story was pretty haphazard.

Dragon Age 2 is just plain terrible.

Say what you will about execution, DA2's story of "hero is terrible at being a hero and brings down the lives of every companion they meet while simultaneously directly causing no less than two major crises" is infinitely more interesting than DA:O's "there is a big dragon!!" I'm not a super big overhead-tactics WRPG person so DA:O didn't really engage me on that front either, and while DA2 wasn't a particularly great action/tactics hybrid, the story at least kept me awake long enough to enjoy it.

Completely agreed on the Mass Effect front, though. ME2's combat implanted into ME1 would probably make ME1 one of my favorite games. ME1 went out of its way to pound in humans being the latecomers to the galactic stage and making the universe seem like this huge, unexplored, scary and wonderful thing full of possibilities both great and terrible, and the sense of scope and awe was a really wonderful feeling throughout the whole game (coincidentally, it captured what I was hoping Spore would do before its release). ME2 just kinda throws that out of the window because those minor mooks from the first game are now suddenly a catastrophic power for exactly one game and ??? gently caress space adventures it's time to get gritty. Boring.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Heavy Lobster posted:

Say what you will about execution, DA2's story of "hero is terrible at being a hero and brings down the lives of every companion they meet while simultaneously directly causing no less than two major crises" is infinitely more interesting than DA:O's "there is a big dragon!!" I'm not a super big overhead-tactics WRPG person so DA:O didn't really engage me on that front either, and while DA2 wasn't a particularly great action/tactics hybrid, the story at least kept me awake long enough to enjoy it.

man, if only they knew they were writing that story when they were actually making the game

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Alouicious posted:

man, if only they knew they were writing that story when they were actually making the game

lol if you think the game ever portrays Hawke as anything other than a superpowered fuckup.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Heavy Lobster posted:

lol if you think the game ever portrays Hawke as anything other than a superpowered fuckup.

i guess i didn't notice when they were giving me my own mansion and calling me the Champion and telling me how amazing i am

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Alouicious posted:

i guess i didn't notice when they were giving me my own mansion and calling me the Champion and telling me how amazing i am

Good thing you alienate everyone and screw the pooch repeatedly in the main quest to make up for it!

Serious post: While you still get the typical "what a hero!" kind of stuff thrown in I feel like DA2 at least tried to make you feel like you weren't infallible as the protagonist and that instead of saving the day by the end of the game you've just made everything and objectively worse. The Friendship/Rivalry thing was a step in the right direction but the Friendship part should have been lopped off entirely and every party member should just be following you around until they get what they want out of you and leave at the most inopportune time. Unfortunately this was not a bold enough game to go all the way with it, and I'll never try to defend the game mechanically, but at least it was trying to be something at least a little bit more nuanced than the mindbogglingly generic So Epic schtick that DA:O had going for it, even if the execution of it was pretty poor.

At the very least, Awakening was pretty neat and it looks like Inquisition is also going to be neat in the same way, so that's good at least.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The writing crew kept gushing about how awesome Hawke and the NPCs were, too. It's like the inverse of that guy who kept back pedalling to make Far Cry 3 as a deconstruction.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Heavy Lobster posted:

Good thing you alienate everyone and screw the pooch repeatedly in the main quest to make up for it!

Serious post: While you still get the typical "what a hero!" kind of stuff thrown in I feel like DA2 at least tried to make you feel like you weren't infallible as the protagonist and that instead of saving the day by the end of the game you've just made everything and objectively worse. The Friendship/Rivalry thing was a step in the right direction but the Friendship part should have been lopped off entirely and every party member should just be following you around until they get what they want out of you and leave at the most inopportune time. Unfortunately this was not a bold enough game to go all the way with it, and I'll never try to defend the game mechanically, but at least it was trying to be something at least a little bit more nuanced than the mindbogglingly generic So Epic schtick that DA:O had going for it, even if the execution of it was pretty poor.

At the very least, Awakening was pretty neat and it looks like Inquisition is also going to be neat in the same way, so that's good at least.

even if intentional, the story of Dragon Age 2 is still utter poo poo as a video game story, somehow even worse than Dragon Age Origins which is an astonishingly low bar

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Trine 2 is mostly pretty fun, even if a lot of it is made fairly trivial by just using the wizard to build towers and bridges, but there are parts where it just gets incredibly frustrating. I just got past a section where there's an icy slope (so you can't stop or slow down on it) with several bottomless pits in it, and stalactites falling in seemingly at random. As far as I can tell, there is no puzzle to solve, not even any timing to learn (since you can only see the first section of it until you start moving and then you can't stop), you just have to keep repeating it until you get lucky. And then when you get to the other side, before the checkpoint, a bunch of goblins spawn, so I died and had to do it again. :argh:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sleeping Dogs again. A friend loaned me a PS3 copy so I can play stutter free and I really enjoy it, but it kinda sucks getting into the water and not knowing where you can get out and having to swim for 5 minutes to find a low enough ledge to climb. A warp-to-shore button like what Saints Row has would've been much appreciated.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The terrible romances in Bioware games. I bought ME3 for ps3 but I cant play it when my girlfriend is home because its so intensly embarassingly bad. The Bioware writers should be shot.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Biplane posted:

The terrible romances in Bioware games. I bought ME3 for ps3 but I cant play it when my girlfriend is home because its so intensly embarassingly bad. The Bioware writers should be shot.

I have yet to play a videogame where the romantic writing isn't hamfisted, awkward, and embarrasing.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

scarycave posted:

My Ico disc stopped working when I was trying to solve some windmill puzzle.

Thanks, but that doesn't bother me, because it isn't flagrantly in violation of my (admittedly limited) knowledge of windmills.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm starting to get fed up with metroidvanias (horrible word, is there a better one?).

I'm pretty sure they used to use the genre "Action-Adventure" to classify the games that involve both action (platforming and combat) and adventure (exploration, discovery of new abilities and items).

My beef is with Lost Odyssey, an RPG I played a bit a few years ago and picked up used very recently. I've played a lot of console RPGs, and it's one of the last few I'm interested in but haven't played to boredom. I was interested because it follows a grown man who's lived for 1000 years, which is a blissfully mature concept in a field dominated by teenage orphans and untested heroes.

But this game has some of the most grating voice-acting and worst writing (general dialogue, not necessarily the dream side-stories) I've experienced in recent memory. It could be a result of a localization team trying to fit the original "acting" with the new voice actors, but it's deep in the uncanny valley. I'm not sure if a general screaming about keeping peace through power while an immortal queen moans her displease so much she faints is a parody of the genre, or if it's designed to compliment the story of a soldier who can't die on his quest for revenge. Also, see how "Immortal warrior seeking revenge" is a more engaging hook than "Immortal warrior and dofus companions help babysit his grandchildren"? I wish I had more of the first hook.

I'm only on disk 2 of 4, but I have a hard time picking the control up to play when I feel like the next story beat will be some more inane nonsense. I half expect the gang to pick up instruments in disk 3 for a jam session, considering how seriously the game seems to be taking itself.

tl;dr, Why can't RPGs be better?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Morpheus posted:

I have yet to play a videogame where the romantic writing isn't hamfisted, awkward, and embarrasing.

Saints Row 4. Possibly Uncharted as well.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Morpheus posted:

In an incredibly depressing way I always thought Alan Wake's interactions with his Wife came off as pretty believable and realistic if perhaps a little flat.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Morpheus posted:

Silent Hill 2.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Super Paper Mario?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

swamp waste posted:

I'm looking forward to all the obtuse poo poo I'm gonna have to learn in Dark Souls 2. I just got through Bed of Chaos. :shepicide: