Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Polaron posted:

Why on earth is that guy selling a fricking cobra as a pet?!

It's an adventure game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

I play games and sometimes the things I say are of a humorous variety.

Polaron posted:

Why on earth is that guy selling a fricking cobra as a pet?!

Moreso, why is he selling it as a pet if he can't even get it out of the cage?!

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

In this episode... "the big whirly". That's... that's all I can say. You're never prepared for the Big Whirly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYG9-5J_4hg

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
That thing with the undercover vice cops was in Hawaii.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The man was obviously insane, he mixed books and math together. BOOKS and MATH.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

New episode is ready! And you will not be ready for the excitement that follows because OH MAN now Sherlock Holmes gets to test VARIOUS PERFUMES AND DECIDE IF THEY ARE GOOD OR BAD?!?!?!??1/1111!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5GaExYUF4o

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

gameplusmeagan posted:

New episode is ready! And you will not be ready for the excitement that follows because OH MAN now Sherlock Holmes gets to test VARIOUS PERFUMES AND DECIDE IF THEY ARE GOOD OR BAD?!?!?!??1/1111!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5GaExYUF4o

Oh man, I remember this part now... the solution to this puzzle is, depending on your outlook on adventure games and life in general, one of the highest or the lowest points of the entire series.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Can't we just hold the cat out towards her and chase her around the city until she relents and tells us what we wanna know?

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

StoryTime posted:

Oh man, I remember this part now... the solution to this puzzle is, depending on your outlook on adventure games and life in general, one of the highest or the lowest points of the entire series.

We're still trying to decide which.

Shei-kun posted:

Can't we just hold the cat out towards her and chase her around the city until she relents and tells us what we wanna know?

Oh, don't you worry, we WILL figure out what to do with the cat. I'm just not sure you'll like the answer.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

gameplusmeagan posted:

Oh, don't you worry, we WILL figure out what to do with the cat. I'm just not sure you'll like the answer.
The cat's gonna be okay, right? It's gonna be okay?

:ohdear:

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Shei-kun posted:

The cat's gonna be okay, right? It's gonna be okay?

:ohdear:

YOU WERE WARNED THIS WAS A TALE OF MYSTERY AND INTRIGUE

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

I give up. What in the literal gently caress is happening in this game? New episode, not for the faint of heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUIpQau9e5A

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
:catstare:

What is UP with this game?!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Polaron posted:

:catstare:

What is UP with this game?!

It's an adventure game.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

It's an adventure game.

I may not know a lot about adventures but I am experiencing this game firsthand and it is not an adventure for me. More like an ordeal. Or a burden.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Animal violence, applied on both animals and humans, is a long-standing adventure game tradition.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

anilEhilated posted:

Animal violence, applied on both animals and humans, is a long-standing adventure game tradition.

Indeed.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I can happily say that what happened to the cat didn't make me cringe.

Also, tormenting the scary prostitute thing with a horde of cats was funny. If I was that officer, that's all the help I'd be giving, too.

Seriously, might catch something.

Then again, with the hygiene and such that was standard at that time, as well as the level of medical care and knowledge, you'd probably catch something just existing anyway.

Just like today! But with more smog and possibly Cockney accents.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"Catscene" is a wonderful little malaprop. More video games need catscenes.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Glazius posted:

"Catscene" is a wonderful little malaprop. More video games need catscenes.

I will let Chuck know you liked his play on words, but I'm worried what the praise will do to his ego. Encourage him, most likely.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I can't decide whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that they had such a prominently marked 'Cats Meat' store earlier and then just decided to go with the Beep Beep kebab man to provide you with it. Although I think the dead girl was found in or near the first one, so maybe we're better off. Wouldn't want Sherlock to get too close to the scene of some actual crime (unless he's going around assaulting prostitutes).

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Plot twist: the real reason Jack the Ripper stopped was because he was eaten by Sherlock's cat army.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Nothing could top Catscene but here we are anyway! In this episode we solve one puzzle that's intentional and another that's less intentional, more of a fact that this game is terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd1ZW060WAo

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Oh, btw, Valerian smells like dried death. Tastes nice as a tea though, kinda peppery, once you get past the smell. Who ever would use it as a perfume?

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh, btw, Valerian smells like dried death. Tastes nice as a tea though, kinda peppery, once you get past the smell. Who ever would use it as a perfume?

Big Whirly would because if it smells like death it probably freshened her up a little bit.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Speaking of death tea (Valerian tea is quite nice for insomnia, do not take this as a disparaging comment towards it, it works quite well), as well as gristly victorian things, here's an interesting article with sources taken from Mummies, Cannibals and Vampires: The History of Corpse Medicine from the Renaissance to the Victorian and Medicinal Cannibalism in Early Modern English Literature and Culture.

quote:

“The question was not, ‘Should you eat human flesh?’ but, ‘What sort of flesh should you eat?’ ” says Sugg. The answer, at first, was Egyptian mummy, which was crumbled into tinctures to stanch internal bleeding.

I had misremembered this as being mummy tea.

quote:

Blood was procured as fresh as possible, while it was still thought to contain the vitality of the body. This requirement made it challenging to acquire. The 16th century German-Swiss physician Paracelsus believed blood was good for drinking, and one of his followers even suggested taking blood from a living body. While that doesn’t seem to have been common practice, the poor, who couldn’t always afford the processed compounds sold in apothecaries, could gain the benefits of cannibal medicine by standing by at executions, paying a small amount for a cup of the still-warm blood of the condemned. “The executioner was considered a big healer in Germanic countries,” says Sugg. “He was a social leper with almost magical powers.” For those who preferred their blood cooked, a 1679 recipe from a Franciscan apothecary describes how to make it into marmalade.

Now, to be fair, blood sausage is delicious. But, really, we might be busting up a medical malpractice ring.

quote:

This is not to say that we have moved on from using one human body to heal another. Blood transfusions, organ transplants and skin grafts are all examples of a modern form of medicine from the body. At their best, these practices are just as rich in poetic possibility as the mummies found in Donne and Shakespeare, as blood and body parts are given freely from one human to another. But Noble points to their darker incarnation, the global black market trade in body parts for transplants. Her book cites news reports on the theft of organs of prisoners executed in China, and, closer to home, of a body-snatching ring in New York City that stole and sold body parts from the dead to medical companies. It’s a disturbing echo of the past. Says Noble, “It’s that idea that once a body is dead you can do what you want with it.”

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-gruesome-history-of-eating-corpses-as-medicine-82360284/#KAZoXpVzXoXF3epp.99

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Suspect Bucket posted:

Speaking of death tea (Valerian tea is quite nice for insomnia, do not take this as a disparaging comment towards it, it works quite well), as well as gristly victorian things, here's an interesting article with sources taken from Mummies, Cannibals and Vampires: The History of Corpse Medicine from the Renaissance to the Victorian and Medicinal Cannibalism in Early Modern English Literature and Culture.

:wth:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Suspect Bucket posted:

Whale vomit's used in perfume, and it smells like -moist- death.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Valerian also isn't catnip, either, but can attract cats. The Encyclopedia Spartaca needs some updating. Catnip/catmint can also be made into tea (using the leaves) and has a more herbal, slightly minty and generally more pleasant smell than valerian.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Kangra posted:

Valerian also isn't catnip, either, but can attract cats. The Encyclopedia Spartaca needs some updating. Catnip/catmint can also be made into tea (using the leaves) and has a more herbal, slightly minty and generally more pleasant smell than valerian.

Nepetas are a magnitude of awesome I cant grow in my garden because I already have to keep bushes of Rosemary and Marigolds everywhere around the arbor and containers because otherwise feral cats come and poo poo in everything. The soil's already acidic as hell, I don't need increased ammonia levels on top of it!

Good thing I like rosemary. I need to start training the bigger ones as topiary.

Valerian also has a much greater sedative effect on me personally then catmint, I guess the old adage of The Worse It Is, The Better It Works holds true.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 7, 2014

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Actual quote from this episode: "I have looked up the answer and I am FURIOUS."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCTOxMe_L_M

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Again, criminal investigation is obstructed by the most mundane problems conceivable. "This cart won't move even though I'm evidently pushing it with my own hands! What devilry is this?!" "The front door of this building is an insurmountable barrier... Only one method of opening it can exist, now if only I could find it."

I totally solved the cypher without looking it up :smug:. The logic puzzles in these games are usually really good, although there are a couple of unfortunate outliers. It's just that they often don't integrate to the game world in any sensible way, or the connection presented is patently ridiculous. That aspect gets even worse in The Testament of Sherlock Holmes.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

StoryTime posted:

Again, criminal investigation is obstructed by the most mundane problems conceivable. "This cart won't move even though I'm evidently pushing it with my own hands! What devilry is this?!" "The front door of this building is an insurmountable barrier... Only one method of opening it can exist, now if only I could find it."

It's like some sort of bizarre torture device.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The switchboard puzzle sort of resembled a phone switchboard, but the wiring for the elevator [I think that's what it was for?] is not the sort of thing you'd expect to work that way. Most devices are just going to be hooked up by wires directly connecting each terminal. No need to route them funny unless you actually need to do something like change connections frequently (as in a telephone system).

The puzzle was really obtuse, although seeing all the solutions after you showed them revealed the logic of it: Two points can be connected by a straight wire, or by a diagonal, but only if they are on a square (i.e. the diagonal is 45 degrees). I don't see how you'd figure that out until after stumbling on the solution, though.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Today's episode features a suspiciously hot corpse and Watson making more obvious observations. The game is still afoot, I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0WUrlN-Y2M

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

There's just so many things wrong with this episode.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I love how incredibly paranoid you two have gotten over Holmes getting pulled into yet another stupid puzzle/fetch quest.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Polaron posted:

I love how incredibly paranoid you two have gotten over Holmes getting pulled into yet another stupid puzzle/fetch quest.

This game is my Vietnam.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
The number puzzle box thingie wanted to know what the last digit of the added number would be at the end. So 7+5+4 = 16, and you needed the 6. That's how it was working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Shei-kun posted:

The number puzzle box thingie wanted to know what the last digit of the added number would be at the end. So 7+5+4 = 16, and you needed the 6. That's how it was working.

I'm glad we have you smart people around to help us after we fumble through these puzzles. Sometimes I get them right away, sometimes they remain mysteries forever.

• Locked thread