Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Answers Me posted:

Has there been a notable dropoff in the number of amateur college wrestlers making it to the WWE since MMA's gotten huge? Was Swagger one of the last?

Kurt Angle always seems like he wishes he'd been able to do MMA rather than pro wrestling if he'd come along a few years later. He always seems bitter about fellow college wrestlers from his era who have made it big in the UFC (I'm sure I've heard him talk about Liddell and Couture in particular).

They stopped scouting amateur wrestlers for a few years so there was a drop off. It's hard to say if it was because they weren't looking or if they were going into MMA. As has been said they restarted that a few years ago, first with Ross and Brisco and now just with Brisco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

ayn rand hand job posted:

Manos is probably more akin to backyard wrestling than TNA. It was basically nothing much more than an amateur production at all levels.

TNA is supposed to be a professional federation, right?

In the very loosest sense of the term, yes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ayn rand hand job posted:

Manos is probably more akin to backyard wrestling than TNA. It was basically nothing much more than an amateur production at all levels.

TNA is supposed to be a professional federation, right?

So what would it be, the Plan 9 from Outer Space of wrestling?

exóticos can be Glen or Glenda I guess

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

DeathChicken posted:

Eh, Morrison had problems (stage fright whenever he was given a live mic being the big one), but what derailed his career was some combination of Melina being crazy, her sleeping with Batista and Vince being a crazy person who decided Morrison would never main event because he didn't shoot beat Batista up, or something.

Hm yes please tell me more about your knowledge of Vince perspective on cuckolds.

Question: why did BamBam Bigelow go to ECW?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

joshtothemaxx posted:

Hm yes please tell me more about your knowledge of Vince perspective on cuckolds.

After he left the WWF he had hopes of going to WCW but I think they went in another direction when the Outsiders were signed. With no interest from the big two ECW was his best bet along with taking a dive in MMA.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Wasn't part of the problem that he was a hell of a wrestler but nobody could stand him or stand working with him?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Luigi Thirty posted:

So what would it be, the Plan 9 from Outer Space of wrestling?

exóticos can be Glen or Glenda I guess

That can barely be called a professional production; by any modern standards, all of Woods' films would be considered indie productions with the possible exception of Glen or Glenda. TNA is more like the American International Pictures of wrestling, though that's doing a real disservice to Corman.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

joshtothemaxx posted:

there's actually a pretty notable pattern of wrestlers who "can't control their woman" and getting severely depushed,

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

John Cena posted:

there's actually a pretty notable pattern of wrestlers who "can't control their woman" and getting severely depushed,

Those being?

Drew had been de-pushed before his incident.

John Morrison had never received a giant push and was a midcarder before and after.

Triple H was never punished for Chyna being crazy.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

MassRafTer posted:

Those being?

Drew had been de-pushed before his incident.

John Morrison had never received a giant push and was a midcarder before and after.

Triple H was never punished for Chyna being crazy.

John Cena's wife leaves him and next thing you know he's jobbing to a vanilla midget.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

That can barely be called a professional production; by any modern standards, all of Woods' films would be considered indie productions with the possible exception of Glen or Glenda. TNA is more like the American International Pictures of wrestling, though that's doing a real disservice to Corman.

Is WCW Cutthroat Island, Heaven's Gate, or Pluto Nash?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

It's like Asylum. Cheap knock-offs that are sometimes sort of fun but mostly just makes you say "What the gently caress" or "Why copy that instead of write your own thing".

MassRafTer posted:

After he left the WWF he had hopes of going to WCW but I think they went in another direction when the Outsiders were signed. With no interest from the big two ECW was his best bet along with taking a dive in MMA.

Why didn't Bam Bam go to Japan? Surely they might have been able to make use of a wrestler similar to Vader's size.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

It's like Asylum. Cheap knock-offs that are sometimes sort of fun but mostly just makes you say "What the gently caress" or "Why copy that instead of write your own thing".

Asylum's films actually consistently turn profits!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shima Honnou posted:

Why didn't Bam Bam go to Japan? Surely they might have been able to make use of a wrestler similar to Vader's size.

I think taking the dive for Kimo in a fight promoted as exposing the myth of pro wrestling probably hurt him. NJPW had their deal with WCW and was bloated with American talent at the time and AJPW was still so traditional that it was going to be tough for him. It had to have a lot to do with that MMA fight though, he was a big star there previously.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is WCW Cutthroat Island, Heaven's Gate, or Pluto Nash?

In terms of industry impact Heaven's Gate is actually pretty perfect comparison. Some people actually like that movie, though, so maybe the better comparison is Mars Needs Moms.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

In terms of industry impact Heaven's Gate is actually pretty perfect comparison. Some people actually like that movie, though, so maybe the better comparison is Mars Needs Moms.

Some people legit loved WCW too though. Some for valid reasons, even!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

I think taking the dive for Kimo in a fight promoted as exposing the myth of pro wrestling probably hurt him.

This was new to me so I was reading a bit about it online. Kinda funny that an event promoted as legit MMA essentially had a shoot style pro wrestling match to "expose the myth".

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I would have gone with Waterworld just for the obvious comparison of blowing millions of dollars on a sinking set, but that wasn't really a bad movie either, so.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Luigi Thirty posted:

Wasn't part of the problem that he was a hell of a wrestler but nobody could stand him or stand working with him?

Per Bret's book, he was rather arrogant early in his career, but changed his attitude completely after an incident with (I think) Andre.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DeathChicken posted:

I would have gone with Waterworld just for the obvious comparison of blowing millions of dollars on a sinking set, but that wasn't really a bad movie either, so.

Waterworld ended up being profitable in the end too.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Per Bret's book, he was rather arrogant early in his career, but changed his attitude completely after an incident with (I think) Andre.

Little did he know Bret would have his terrible revenge.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Waterworld humbled Kevin Costner like how WCW's failure humbled Hogan (at least compared to what he was like before)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Justin Godscock posted:

Waterworld humbled Kevin Costner like how WCW's failure humbled Hogan (at least compared to what he was like before)

Only a humble man could make The Postman with its Kevin Costner statue.

(WCW is the Postman because it is long, horrible, dumb and I kind of love it.)

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shima Honnou posted:

Bam Bam tagged with Vader in NJPW in the early 90s, and after he left WWE he went back to work for WAR and FMW

I just found this and I'm marking out:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x49cdv_fmw-bam-bam-bigelow-vs-masato-tanak_sport

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It just struck me that both NJPW and AJPW currently have American champions since I generally don't think of Akebono as American.

Is this the first time this has ever happened?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

It just struck me that both NJPW and AJPW currently have American champions since I generally don't think of Akebono as American.

Is this the first time this has ever happened?

Nah it happened in 1990 when Vader and Gordy held both titles.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

I think it's better to label the eras:

93-97 - New Generation
Started with Yokozuna winning the title, ended with The Montreal Screwjob

Wrestlemania 9? I would go with when Bret beat Flair in 92 instead.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

DeathChicken posted:

Battlefield Earth?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Nah, it's gotta be when Hulkamania was finally dead and buried (in the WWF at least).

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

magnum_valentino posted:

Is the "Dean Malenko: Not Ciclope" screengrab from one of those Network shows legit or shopped?

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's legit but I don't remember which Countdown it's from.

:lol: I'm flattered you think it's real, but I know it's not, because I made it. :)

You can tell because I couldn't get the font to match, nor the red lines to look right, mainly because I used GIMP on a kind of lovely laptop. I could've done much better in Photoshop but I don't have it on this PC.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

That was on a house show. It's not some iconic event that changed, well, anything.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

:lol: I'm flattered you think it's real, but I know it's not, because I made it. :)

You can tell because I couldn't get the font to match, nor the red lines to look right, mainly because I used GIMP on a kind of lovely laptop. I could've done much better in Photoshop but I don't have it on this PC.

Ha! What was Dean being interviewed about, if you remember?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

God Of Paradise posted:

That was on a house show. It's not some iconic event that changed, well, anything.

An iconic wrestling event doesn't mean a sea change. When that title change happened Vince decided on a change in philosophy. He wanted a youth movement and to get away from steroid physiques (or at least push guys who could pass the tests like Luger.) Wrestlemania 9 was months after that that directive and was a short term change to bring gates up and eventually put over Hart (which Hogan wouldn't do.) If you are going to mark the moment the "New Generation" era begins you either start with the Hart title win or the day they started playing the New Generation promos.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

MassRafTer posted:

An iconic wrestling event doesn't mean a sea change. When that title change happened Vince decided on a change in philosophy. He wanted a youth movement and to get away from steroid physiques (or at least push guys who could pass the tests like Luger.) Wrestlemania 9 was months after that that directive and was a short term change to bring gates up and eventually put over Hart (which Hogan wouldn't do.) If you are going to mark the moment the "New Generation" era begins you either start with the Hart title win or the day they started playing the New Generation promos.

Yeah, I guess you're right.

Taking the WWF title off of Ric Flair at a house show was such a bad move that I don't want to give the moment credit for anything.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Is it fair to say that WWE hiring, say, Chris Hero, Kevin Steen or Prince Devitt, and casting them as new characters is like a film studio hiring Mickey Rourke because they liked him in Sin City and just hoping he'll be as good in their own film?

Do you think the characters they play are much more important than WWE credits them for? Would Generico have taken off more than Sami Zayn?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

magnum_valentino posted:

Ha! What was Dean being interviewed about, if you remember?

It was one of the earlier Countdown episodes. I think it was somewhere in Biggest Blunders, but I'm not sure. It might have been entrances or finishers.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

magnum_valentino posted:

Is it fair to say that WWE hiring, say, Chris Hero, Kevin Steen or Prince Devitt, and casting them as new characters is like a film studio hiring Mickey Rourke because they liked him in Sin City and just hoping he'll be as good in their own film?

Do you think the characters they play are much more important than WWE credits them for? Would Generico have taken off more than Sami Zayn?

Other than his name changing, was Hero's gimmick all that different from his indie stuff? A guy like Ambrose pretty much kept his indie character, and I expect Steen and Devitt to be themselves as well. The details might be a bit different, but hiring talented people to do the thing they're good at is how wrestling has always worked.

Zayn is a different case, since El Generico was completely different from his current gimmick. Zayn is really good, though, so I'm sure he'll get over, and a comedy gimmick like El Generico might've been worse for him in the long run.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Morrison could never main event because he wasn't main event quality, not because he was a cuckold.

I'm not a huge John Morrison fan or anything but him not being "main event quality" is kinda silly. He's tall and ripped, his entrance and high spots got pops, he's decent in the ring and passable on the mic. Is anything majorly wrong with him?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Morrison's mic problems are weird, since it was only his live face promos that were awful. His heel stuff like the "No one will remember your name" promo against Punk was usually pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

DeathChicken posted:

Morrison's mic problems are weird, since it was only his live face promos that were awful. His heel stuff like the "No one will remember your name" promo against Punk was usually pretty good.

This was at a time when every face was booked to speak like Cena. It made for an awkward fit with a lot of people.