Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

movax posted:

I think there's a B-24 or B-25 (I can never remember the difference except the -25 was used in the Doolittle Raid) wandering around Bellevue/Seattle area, any other PNW goons see it?

The B-24 has 4 engines as opposed to 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

movax posted:

I think there's a B-24 or B-25 (I can never remember the difference except the -25 was used in the Doolittle Raid) wandering around Bellevue/Seattle area, any other PNW goons see it?

The B-24 has 4 engines.

Perhaps you're confusing the B-25 and B-26? Both the -25 and -26 were twin engine medium bombers. The B-25 has twin vertical stabilizers, the B-26 has a mono-fin and is usally seen falling out of the sky. That said, I don't know if there are any flying B-26's anymore...

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

ehnus posted:

The B-24 has 4 engines.

Perhaps you're confusing the B-25 and B-26? Both the -25 and -26 were twin engine medium bombers. The B-25 has twin vertical stabilizers, the B-26 has a mono-fin and is usally seen falling out of the sky. That said, I don't know if there are any flying B-26's anymore...

A fair number, there were a lot of B and A-26's converted as executive transports and water bombers and whatnot. Not a bad aircraft, just a high wing loading, and a few new technologies. Will bite you if you are used to flying wooden box kites and try to fly by "how it feels" rather than what the manual says.

Also, one of the first aircraft with electrically actuated prop-pitch, and story goes people would run the battery down dicking with it on the flightline, then take off and lose pitch authority at rotation...

[edit]
Oh poo poo, never mind me. Wiki says "The redesignation of the type from A-26 to B-26 has led to popular confusion with the Martin B-26 Marauder, a design that first flew in November 1940, some 16 months before the Douglas design's maiden flight. Although both types utilized the much-used Pratt & Whitney Double Wasp eighteen-cylinder, double-row engine, they were completely different designs."

I am popularly confused.

[edit]
One flying B-26 left, a dozen or so flying A-26's (which aren't the same thing, at all)

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 26, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Slo-Tek posted:

A fair number, there were a lot of B and A-26's converted as executive transports and water bombers and whatnot. Not a bad aircraft, just a high wing loading, and a few new technologies. Will bite you if you are used to flying wooden box kites and try to fly by "how it feels" rather than what the manual says.

Also, one of the first aircraft with electrically actuated prop-pitch, and story goes people would run the battery down dicking with it on the flightline, then take off and lose pitch authority at rotation...

[edit]
Oh poo poo, never mind me. Wiki says "The redesignation of the type from A-26 to B-26 has led to popular confusion with the Martin B-26 Marauder, a design that first flew in November 1940, some 16 months before the Douglas design's maiden flight. Although both types utilized the much-used Pratt & Whitney Double Wasp eighteen-cylinder, double-row engine, they were completely different designs."

I am popularly confused.

[edit]
One flying B-26 left, a dozen or so flying A-26's (which aren't the same thing, at all)

There's an additional B-26 Marauder in Kermit Weeks' collection that is not currently airworthy, but is probably the most likely to fly again of the other remaining airframes.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Then there's the other cousin, the PV-2 Harpoon. One's based out of Oregon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Ventura

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
Looks like the B-52s are getting CONECT'ed. (Ars Technica link).

I'm sort of surprised (well, not THAT surprised, given what I've read here but somewhat) that B-52 crews currently have to carry their data onboard on a loving notepad and type it into the computer.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

movax posted:

There are at least two flying B-25s I know of up at Paine Field, Flying Heritage Collection has one, Historic Flight Foundation has the other.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

ctishman posted:

Looks like the B-52s are getting CONECT'ed. (Ars Technica link).

I'm sort of surprised (well, not THAT surprised, given what I've read here but somewhat) that B-52 crews currently have to carry their data onboard on a loving notepad and type it into the computer.

To be fair, the designers didn't expect the B-52 to still be flying 60 years later.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

ctishman posted:

The funny thing is that these upgrades which give them the flexibility to do more/better close air support will mean they'll receive target updates over the radio, write them down on their notepad, and type it into the computer. :coal:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Psion posted:

There are at least two flying B-25s I know of up at Paine Field, Flying Heritage Collection has one, Historic Flight Foundation has the other.

Galveston has a flying B-25. Best birthday present ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzUeM1ppoAY

movax
Aug 30, 2008

There's no secret to being able to hang up your suit/tux whatever in the cabin closet/storage thing other than not being a douchebag passenger and asking the cabin crew nicely, right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Being in first class helps.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Get on as early as possible before it fills up but I've never had an issue. I usually apologize all over myself for asking and explain the situation. They also sometimes have hangar spots on the bulkhead wall behind first class and not everyone will have a coat up there to hang up.

You just have to remember to grab it on your way out. Don't ask me how I know.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm just a mere peasant, no idea what boarding zone I'm in yet. (Actually, my 24HR check-in probably shows up in like 2 minutes...).

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

movax posted:

I'm just a mere peasant, no idea what boarding zone I'm in yet. (Actually, my 24HR check-in probably shows up in like 2 minutes...).

I've never had a problem, even on somewhat full flights flying economy. The one time they were reluctant due to being nearly full, they acquiesced when they realized it was my military dress uniform, so woo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I should clarify that being in first/business class helps because they'll volunteer to take your coats in first and you get onboard first so by the time you board there might not be room.

Also I think thats where dead heading crews stow their bags so there might not be room? An actual airline person could clarify on that.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I guess we'll see what happens; apparently checking in as soon as you are able gets you in Zone 5, so, :iiam:. I'll try asking nicely, but they'll probably tell me to gently caress off, seeing as it's US Airways.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Depending on the airport and airline, you might be able to get to the oncoming flight crew before the plane arrives and ask them in advance / butter 'em up a bit

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

hobbesmaster posted:

Complimentary tuxedo storage is a given in first class :wotwot:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
More airlines need to offer in-flight dry cleaning, IMHO.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
It also depends on the aircraft and its particular cabin layout - I doubt you'll have any trouble as long as the cabin crew do actually have a suitable place to put it, but they might not (or it might be full, as stated by others).

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Just crumple it up and set a trend.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

priznat posted:

Complimentary tuxedo storage is a given in first class :wotwot:

You store your tux in first class? What are you, a farmer? Or do you mean storage for your other tux? The one you aren't wearing

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Captain Postal posted:

You store your tux in first class? What are you, a farmer? Or do you mean storage for your other tux? The one you aren't wearing

Erm, excuse me, what if the flight takes off before six and lands after?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

FrozenVent posted:

More airlines need to offer in-flight dry cleaning, IMHO.

And shoe polishing. Actually, that's something they should just have poors in the back do to occupy themselves while I'm drinking champagne and drambuie.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I want Hold Cocktail Lounges like in the L1011 to make a comeback

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
put the piano back in 747s

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

simplefish posted:

I want Hold Cocktail Lounges like in the L1011 to make a comeback

Lets be honest here...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I was too much of a peasant. :sigh: The gate agent said I could try, the one actually manning the scanner yelled at me for too many items, and I walked past empty hangars in first class I couldn't use :smith:

Got TSA pre-check randomly, which was real nice though. So sane.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

There's a video of this approach where they go to go-around power right at the fence and it fucks some people's poo poo up.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Jealous Cow posted:

There's a video of this approach where they go to go-around power right at the fence and it fucks some people's poo poo up.

lol

It always seemed more sensible to me to stand off to the side a little bit.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

lol

It always seemed more sensible to me to stand off to the side a little bit.

I hope it was a 777. 200,000 lb of thrust applied directly to human. I'm sure you'll find yourself in the water quite fast.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Been there, done that, but must say its a lot more impressive with a 747. It feels inches above your head.

I was also one of those jackasses hanging onto the fence as it goes to full power with the brakes on for taking off. Hot sandbasting is fun! :gibs:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

holocaust bloopers posted:

I hope it was a 777. 200,000 lb of thrust applied directly to human. I'm sure you'll find yourself in the water quite fast.

I think it was a 747.

GEnex: APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

holocaust bloopers posted:

That sounds like it might be fun if you're prepared.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

EightBit posted:

1. Acquire parachute
2. Pop chute as aircraft goes to maximum power
3. Have fun ride suffer massive injuries

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

LostCosmonaut posted:

The two are not mutually exclusive.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

EightBit posted:

Until you realize that you're about to be on the wrong end of the worlds largest sandblaster.

movax posted:

I'll try asking nicely, but they'll probably tell me to gently caress off, seeing as it's US Airways.

U.S Airways no longer exists, they just haven't painted their planes in that ugly American paint scheme yet. Of course, American Airlines now consists of:

-Major carriers
U.S. Airways*
America West*
American Airlines

-Wholly owned regional carriers
Envoy (formerly American eagle)
PSA
Piedmont

-Regional carriers that have been outsourced to
Air Wisconsin
Republic
Skywest
Mesa
Atlantic Southeast Airlines

So when you badmouth U.S. Airways you should probably mention which of the 11 carriers that you're actually flying on.
*U.S. Airways and American West are technically merged but their crews don't fly with each other yet.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

LostCosmonaut posted:

1. Acquire parachute
2. Pop chute as aircraft goes to maximum power

This is overdoing it.