Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

PostNouveau posted:

Re-watching the first season, and I think something just went haywire with this character. Pamela isn't nearly the rear end in a top hat that she is in the last episode. She's really harsh, but she never gets to the level of "No one would want to be with you," like she does in the last episode.

Her character in this last episode blindsided me. What a bitch. I didn't remember her being like that either. Please, Louie, don't fall for it :ohdear: He abuses himself more than enough and certainly doesn't need that kind of emotional abuse from a partner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Holy crap Ursula Parker. What a monster of a kid, it's actually kind of scary how (multi)talented she is. If she doesn't drop out of acting she's going to be loving huge in 10-15 years.

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

Hakkesshu posted:

Holy crap Ursula Parker. What a monster of a kid, it's actually kind of scary how (multi)talented she is. If she doesn't drop out of acting she's going to be loving huge in 10-15 years.

Seriously, shes friggn awesome on this show.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Am I missing something or misreading what you guys are writing? Pamela hasn't been in an episode recently? Louie's brother in a tiny towel? When did that happen?

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

Zesty Mordant posted:

Am I missing something or misreading what you guys are writing? Pamela hasn't been in an episode recently? Louie's brother in a tiny towel? When did that happen?

Episode 6

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Which I somehow managed to watch only the second half of, and not notice. Christ I'm bad at television

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Hakkesshu posted:

Remember Dakota Fanning? Neither does the rest of the world.

(I also think that Ursula is an outstanding talent, just saying.)

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

Zesty Mordant posted:

Which I somehow managed to watch only the second half of, and not notice. Christ I'm bad at television

I forgot about the two episodes a week thing and missed it originally too.

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

mcbexx posted:

Remember Dakota Fanning? Neither does the rest of the world.

(I also think that Ursula is an outstanding talent, just saying.)

Dakota is really annoying to listen to in behind the scenes stuff.
I wonder if Ursula is more intelligent.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Forbin5 posted:

I forgot about the two episodes a week thing and missed it originally too.

I somehow started right in the middle of the scene with Ellen Burnstyn translating for Louie, and just figured the abrupt starts are this show's MO now.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

PostNouveau posted:

Re-watching the first season, and I think something just went haywire with this character. Pamela isn't nearly the rear end in a top hat that she is in the last episode. She's really harsh, but she never gets to the level of "No one would want to be with you," like she does in the last episode.

Eh, it makes sense as character development. I mean, last time we saw her, she was leaving for Europe to be with her ex and already it seemed like a bad decision. Now we get her two years later, and it's even worse: she's actually worse off having wasted two years and left her kid across the ocean. She hosed up big time and it's left her bitter and lovely, that happens sometimes.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Forbin5 posted:

Dakota is really annoying to listen to in behind the scenes stuff.
I wonder if Ursula is more intelligent.

She had this recent interview. Kid is scary smart.

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

fspades posted:

She used the word "logistics", she's smarter than all of my co-workers.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

fspades posted:

Holy christ. That kid :aaaaa: Scary smart is the best description. I hope she survives adolescence and her college years. She's gonna have a lot of pressures put on her.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Having done "celeb" interviews and transcriptions of said interviews, I know there's a bit of cleanup that goes on in the final rendering of words to text but regardless, that interview is astonishing.

It almost reads like an Onion article or something, where the child actor on a show is presented as being the smartest person in the room. Except it's not on the Onion!

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
This is completely unrelated to season 4, but I've been bandwagoning this show and man, the s2 Duckling episode was one of the better episodes of TV I've seen in a long time.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
What the hell is going on?

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
I think I need a translation for that last scene...

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
RIP Lebron and the 12 million others.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
So wait, in the flashback is ex-wife is white? :psyduck:

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Joose Caboose posted:

RIP Lebron and the 12 million others.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

AIDS!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Mutation posted:

So wait, in the flashback is ex-wife is white? :psyduck:

I think it was to a marriage before his ex wife since he doesn't have kids yet. Unless that whole "what if you got pregnant right then" was Lily being conceived. I'm not sure. He looks like he'd be in his early 20s at latest. Plenty of time to start his career, meet Janet and pop out a few.

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003
It's his only ex-wife. Married once and divorced. Them sharing a cigarette both times in current age and flashback was a pretty obvious hint. Louis just doesn't give a gently caress about continuity and will throw some random people playing himself and his wife, like his mother played by different actresses in previous seasons.

Robotnik DDS
Oct 31, 2004

That young Louie was a fantastic impression

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
It really was. That actor got his tone and speech patterns down perfectly.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
AIDS.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

AIDS.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
so do we know what she said?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

so do we know what she said?
I believe she said "AIDS!" at the end of the conversation.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Lord Sexatron posted:

It's his only ex-wife. Married once and divorced. Them sharing a cigarette both times in current age and flashback was a pretty obvious hint. Louis just doesn't give a gently caress about continuity and will throw some random people playing himself and his wife, like his mother played by different actresses in previous seasons.

Was it all in his imagination? Wondering what would have happened if he got divorced earlier?

These last two episodes are especially weird.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SaltLick posted:

I think it was to a marriage before his ex wife since he doesn't have kids yet. Unless that whole "what if you got pregnant right then" was Lily being conceived. I'm not sure. He looks like he'd be in his early 20s at latest. Plenty of time to start his career, meet Janet and pop out a few.

No, it's the same wife. The change in actress doesn't matter. Neither does her skin colour.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
I think he's trying to make a statement about how important the color of an actor's skin is to a role in Hollywood. As in, why do black actors only play black characters, but a white actor can play any character and race isn't a factor. Which I'm all for doing -- its a statement that should be made -- but by doing it this way I think he's maybe making the opposite statement he intends. In a way he's making race a huge issue because in that scene, the viewer (at least I was) is totally disoriented and race becomes this big question. Why is his ex-wife black but his kids are super white? Why is she black now but super white in the flashback? If he cast a black actress as the younger wife no one would be questioning her race or why she's black or any of these things. It would just be "ah yeah that's the ex-wife, mother of his kids". He made race an issue where it wasn't an issue.

Or maybe that's the point? I don't know but it didn't work for me at all. Not only that, but I'm not sure that the whitest guy on TV, and also the guy responsible for Pootie Tang, is really the guy to make these sort of grand statements about race.

Or hell maybe its just him not giving a crap.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
So far the Todd Barry episode has been the best this season.

Jake Armitage posted:

Or hell maybe its just him not giving a crap.
Yea, probably this. When Louis makes a statement with Louie, it's a 15 minute speech from a fat woman. He's not a very subtle guy with the things he wants to say.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

The first episode is now an instant fave. I loved the scene with the... marital counselor? "Janet on the other hand is more practical and less guided by her feelings." :smith:

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

No, it's the same wife. The change in actress doesn't matter. Neither does her skin colour.

I thought this might be the case but i dont understand, because they specifically mention not having any other kids - was this a fantasy or not?

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 27, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

The first episode is now an instant fave. I loved the scene with the... marital counselor? "Janet on the other hand is more practical and less guided by her feelings." :smith:
Yeah, that whole scene was great. Louie shouting, the counselor being as intelligent as a five-year-old, Janet seemingly getting miffed at that statement.

Also I think even though Louie said that Janet is black because her actress is simply a stellar performer, I don't think it's the case anymore - Why would he cast her younger self as white again? That actress wasn't stellar, by all means. Visual gag? It'd be a cheap one if it was. Maybe present Janet being black and past Janet being white is suppose to mean she's a different person now, right?

or maybe it's a cheap visual gag and Louie's a hack, I dunno

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 27, 2014

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
A theory I saw elsewhere is that she transforms into a better person after leaving Louie. For example, she finally goes to Africa like she always wanted to and couldn't with Louie. Her transformation over time is visually represented through her race.

How in the gently caress has the internet not translated what Amia said at the end yet? It's killing me.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I've waited a long time for a Todd Barry scene where he does more than lob insults at Louie, this was everything I had hoped for and more.

Jake Armitage posted:

I think he's trying to make a statement about how important the color of an actor's skin is to a role in Hollywood.

Why does it have to be a secret statement this time when everyone was on board with his official, real-life statement about not giving a poo poo the first time he cast an actress that doesn't fit the character?

PostNouveau posted:

A theory I saw elsewhere is that she transforms into a better person after leaving Louie. For example, she finally goes to Africa like she always wanted to and couldn't with Louie. Her transformation over time is visually represented through her race.

oh boy here we goooooo

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Illinois Smith posted:

Why does it have to be a secret statement this time when everyone was on board with his official, real-life statement about not giving a poo poo the first time he cast an actress that doesn't fit the character?

Not caring kind of is the statement, though. The point is that it shouldn't be a big thing.

It's just confusing now where it's unclear if they're even meant to be the same person or not.

• Locked thread