Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSnowySoviet
May 12, 2004

It never got weird enough for me.

Maxmaps posted:

In the middle of a small feature implementation rampage here. What small changes would you guys like to see to make the game more enjoyable? (Think in the general realm of things like adding an indicator for a maneuver node that is off the visible navball, etc).

Warp to Next Orbital Event? I'd love a stock one-click button that'd warp you to, say, 60 seconds before the next SOI change or 60 seconds before the next burn time for the next maneuver node, etc. I know Mechjeb can do this at least two different ways, but a stock one-click button that just handled the correct warping would be fantastic.

Also, a better way to select a target on the ground from map view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hadlock posted:

Yes and Yes. EVA suit options sound awesome. How did you guys decide to built the Kerbalizer and not decide to include hats EVA suits? heck you guys could probably sell a EVA suit DLC including Krussian, Khinese and Kermarican styled suits. It worked for Valve/TF2...

Lmfao, maybe just stick to players freely being able to change their spacesuits. For free.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
If people want to pay money for a texture they can easily replace themselves, then it is Squad's right to take their :10bux: and give them a texture for their EVA suit.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Maxmaps posted:

In the middle of a small feature implementation rampage here. What small changes would you guys like to see to make the game more enjoyable? (Think in the general realm of things like adding an indicator for a maneuver node that is off the visible navball, etc).

The "Docking Alignment Indicator" mod should really be vanilla.

quote:

Can improvements be made to the burn-time estimator for maneuver nodes, or make it so I don't have to pulse the engines to get a reading? It'd be especially nice if you'd get an estimate for when to start your burn or if you have adequate fuel/dV remaining; maybe have it as a component you have to unlock and add?

Also this, it feels kind of primitive to guess when I need to start burning.

Also seconding no flags on active ship list, button for instant real time, and radar altimeter option.

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 27, 2014

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Arsonide posted:

The "Docking Alignment Indicator" mod should really be vanilla.

Besides roll indication, what features does it add?

Stock navball seems to do a good job, if you know how to use it (maybe there are issues with target port vs. CoM?).

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

haveblue posted:

Selectable EVA suits is still a good idea.

Bill is not on board with this idea

shut up yes i know they are plugsuits you nerd

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Edminster posted:

Bill is not on board with this idea
shut up yes i know they are plugsuits you nerd

You are a terrible person and should feel terrible.

The nice thing about DAI is that it has ALL the info you need to dock in a single window, along with an easy to see directional vector. Plus the distance/closure is calculated from the docking port, not the root part of the spacestation. Just makes things so much easier to dock.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Besides roll indication, what features does it add?

It makes it easier to dock. Docking is pretty difficult. That's all I need to want it. I'm what you would call an "average player". I don't keep dV charts hanging beside my monitor, or calculate transfer windows. Little indicators like that really make the game enjoyable for me, and others I'd imagine.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
How about a navball marker that shows up once you've targeted a docking port which shows the direction the docking port is facing?

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Some way to move the maneuver node adjustment tabs away from the crowded tiny ball of icons that results when you zoom out to a solar scale. This would make planning an escape trajectory or Hohmann transfer less frustrating. Maybe make the opening/closing of the node controls stickier, too. Or is there a way to do this now that I don't know about?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Maxmaps posted:

Delta-V indicators
Distance to ground indicator
Distant Objects mod in base game
Enhanced Navball mod in base game
Kerbal Alarm Clock in base game
Ability to disable Jeb, Bob, and Bill respawning
Orange uniforms on EVA for those three.

I could go on and on, especially "simple" mods that I think belong in base game, so I'll just end it here. I know there is seemingly little reason to implement mods into base game when people could simply just download the mods, but I think the convenience of some of them would help new players who might be hesitant to start with mods to enjoy the base game enough to stick with it.

edit: Apologies that last bit doesn't read out very well. Seemed sensible last night.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 27, 2014

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Arsonide posted:

It makes it easier to dock. Docking is pretty difficult. That's all I need to want it. I'm what you would call an "average player". I don't keep dV charts hanging beside my monitor, or calculate transfer windows. Little indicators like that really make the game enjoyable for me, and others I'd imagine.

I admit, the included docking guides are hard to use at first. They could use improvements and/or a better tutorial(forgive me if one exists in-game, I haven't looked recently). Average player experience is critical.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

I admit, the included docking guides are hard to use at first. They could use improvements and/or a better tutorial(forgive me if one exists in-game, I haven't looked recently). Average player experience is critical.

Not only that, but if the axis of the docking port isn't in line with the (0,0,0) coordinate of the root part, then you can't actually use "control from here" to line up to the target docking port because it'll be wrong. This doesn't matter in Apollo-style capsules or lander cans because most people put the docking port on the top node, but for spaceplanes or fancier-style docking hubs it tends to make it nearly impossible.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Maxmaps posted:

An 'unlink' button in the VAB so we can tune radially-placed things separately.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I'd be cool with different colored suits for Kerbals that have completed a certain number of missions or spent a certain amount of time in space.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Silver wings emblem on rookie Kerbonauts, gold wings for veterans?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bentai posted:

Silver wings emblem on rookie Kerbonauts, gold wings for veterans?

Some sort of silver medal for each planetary system visited, gold medal for landing on a body in a planetary system(?)

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Hadlock posted:

Some sort of silver medal for each planetary system visited, gold medal for landing on a body in a planetary system(?)
Bronze for visiting, silver for landing, gold for getting back again. :v:

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Bronze for visiting, silver for landing, gold for getting back again. :v:

Why get back? Colonize.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Why get back? Colonize.

We need a crown for first kerbal to colonize a body.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Disabling helmets on Kerbin would be neat.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Geemer posted:

Make adjusting maneuver nodes with the scroll wheel respond equally to scrolling up and scrolling down.

I think this problem is rooted in the function. The node adjustments have wto points: increase and decrease. If you grab the increase, it's biased to increase fast, but decrease finely, because you're going up fast and nudging down, or something to that effect. If this is why it's happening, then I understand your point. But still, a checkbox to disable the bias would be nice as an option. But I like my biased adjustment nodes, if this is, in fact what they do.

Of course, it could just be all my imagination! :jeb:

Side note - a list of things to put on a screen to enhance my home experiences:

1) MST3k-style movie seats with Joel/Mike and the robots

2) IVA cam of Jeb marveling and excited-kid-fidgeting in his seat at everything that's going on.

If I can get #2 as an overlay, I'm throwing all my :10bux: at that. #1 is a printout that I need to make happen.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Mistle posted:

I think this problem is rooted in the function. The node adjustments have wto points: increase and decrease. If you grab the increase, it's biased to increase fast, but decrease finely, because you're going up fast and nudging down, or something to that effect. If this is why it's happening, then I understand your point. But still, a checkbox to disable the bias would be nice as an option. But I like my biased adjustment nodes, if this is, in fact what they do.

Oh no, I like that when I'm dragging them. But when I'm trying to plan interplanetary burns to .1 m/s accuracy then I use the scrolling-based fine tuning and want to be able to scroll with equal strokes in both directions.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I'd like some EVA horse armor.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Icons for atmospheric entry would be good for those who don't have the heights of all the atmospheres memorised, it'd be nice to show how aerobreaking would affect your flight path as well (although I imagine that's quite difficult to implement).

It would also be good to mark the duration of burns, particularly long ion burns, on the orbits visually. Again, probably a bit difficult because of the constant acceleration, but even just marking a segment length based on current speed * duration would give the player a better understanding than the current single point for something that takes 6+ minutes.

Ultimately, I've love the ability to select a world, moon or space station and have the game plot the course (to some default per planet orbital altitude and inclination), leaving the execution to the player, and the manual fiddling for course corrections or changes of plan. That's probably a bit of a bigger task.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Drop time acceleration to 1x when parachutes are about to deploy and when you're about to land. Accelerating it back up after parachutes have been deployed (but not after landing) would be nice too.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

like others have said add a bunch of really basic poo poo that we currently need mods for like delta/v and twr stats etc, alarm clock, radar altimeter, docking alignment and add some stock fairings. make the burn time indicators better as others have said also I'd love to have a button for 100% throttle. oh and also fix whatever the gently caress is wrong with controller inputs. the game really hates my x45 hotas, half the axes are hosed and most the buttons don't register.

Captain Hair posted:

How about maneuver nodes for ascent/descent? Would be super handy to get a rough guide
this would also be awesome.

oh and fix this thanks http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/1998 also here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/53168-0-22-EVA-controls-in-orbit

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Planetary transfers done amateur-style without knowledge about the exact transfer windows (reaching kerbin escape, hoping for the best and messing with nodes) are very inefficient and it would be nice for newbies to have at least a rough indicator of when and how to transfer to other worlds without having to alt tab to that calculator website.

Make maneuver nodes more receptive to fine tuning somehow.

Improve construction options.

Navball on EVA.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Met posted:

Delta-V indicators
Distance to ground indicator
Distant Objects mod in base game
Enhanced Navball mod in base game
Kerbal Alarm Clock in base game
Ability to disable Jeb, Bob, and Bill respawning
Orange uniforms on EVA for those three.

I could go on and on, especially "simple" mods that I think belong in base game, so I'll just end it here. I know there is seemingly little reason to implement mods into base game when people could simply just download the mods, but I think the convenience of some of them would help new players who might be hesitant to start with mods to enjoy the base game enough to stick with it.

The biggest argument at the moment for adding simple/essential mods into the base game is that they won't break every other version.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Close the Navball first?

Oh sure, you can work around it, but it's poor keybind design.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I would just like a feature where you drop out of time acceleration maybe 30 seconds from hitting a maneuver node.

The amount of times I overshoot because I'm impatient is lots.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Add MechJeb, Universal Replacer, KAS, B9, Procedural Everything to game. TIA:suicide:

edit:

Falken posted:

I'd like some EVA horse armor.
This too :magical:

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 27, 2014

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
A small one would be auto-zooming the camera based on the size of the spaceship loaded in the VAB or launchpad - they fill the whole screen at the moment and I tend to destroy bits by clicking. Not as much of a problem now you can Ctrl-Z and save subassemblies, but still.

I think the stage notifiers down the side (what are these called) could do with some simplification - it's odd that multiple parts of the same type on the same stage get combined, but only when not-active. If the fuel counter for those six engines is the same, maybe they can share the same gauge, auto-splitting if one gets heated differently or fuel is manually pumped out?

I'd like to be able to minimise non-active stages to decrease clutter, both in the VAB and in flight. Save whether they're shown or minimised between sessions/ships.

If a stage has entirely binary propulsion (i.e. SRBs), maybe hide the throttle indicator?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
How difficult would it be to make objects more than 2.5km away from you NOT disappear in an atmosphere? That'd be swell, but I understand how it could be a challenge to implement.

I've found myself disappointed when I couldn't drop off a probe mid-air from a fast moving airplane without it disappearing because I got too far away from it before it landed.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Met posted:

How difficult would it be to make objects more than 2.5km away from you NOT disappear in an atmosphere? That'd be swell, but I understand how it could be a challenge to implement.

I've found myself disappointed when I couldn't drop off a probe mid-air from a fast moving airplane without it disappearing because I got too far away from it before it landed.
Lazor lets you change the physics distance all the way to 90km.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Are we still doing requests for simple changes? A more detailed event log would be really helpful. When you've got a big rocket seeing "decoupler failed" isn't that helpful to identifying the problem.

GreenDragon42
Apr 29, 2009

Maxmaps posted:

I'd like to see some way to mark a location on the map in advance, so that you can plan to land on that and not just somewhere nearby.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
A list of shortcuts somewhere in game would be great.

Simple things like mousing over the symmetry button should also display the shortcuts.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Falken posted:

Lazor lets you change the physics distance all the way to 90km.

What's the impact on system performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Splode posted:

Something to help with transfer windows, or just implement kerbal alarm clock.

Built in Kerbal Alarm Clock would be great.

Seconded (thirded?) changing action groups on the fly. Additionally, some kind of 'Action Group pop-up'. I usually assign the same number to ships, but a built-in version of the B9 info drive would be nice, just press F1 and get a side popup of all the action group assignments.

Some concept of vessels in docked configuration. Right now if I dock Ship A to Station B, Ship A becomes part of Station B, and can't be treated as a unit. It'd be really convenient to be able to view/treat Ship A as a unit, so you can, for instance, easily transfer resources into Ship A (Fill all tanks), or make it inactive cargo (shut down all RCS/engines/reaction wheels), or turn off action groups (so things don't active on Ship A when you use the same action group on Station B).

Ability to filter Tracking Station by body.

Vertical alignment indicator in VAB, so you can tell if things are really vertically lined up. I think GalCiv did something like this in their editor.

Unified, official UI for extensions. Toolbar does okay for now, but with so many windows and icons and everything it gets cluttered and looks very unpolished.

• Locked thread