Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Right now I'm doing a sort of science fiction, comedy journal thing, I need inspiration and I need something to reference. I'm looking for badly acted, terribly scripted, hilariously special effected science fiction shows. Preferably it would have been produced within the last two years or so.

So far I have been recommended: Continuum, Arrow, and Orphan Black.

Haven't watched any of them yet, but from what I've read they sound pretty cheesy. Am I on the right track?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I don't know anything about Arrow, but I came into this thread to suggest Continuum. It's totally cheesy and reminds me of a 90's Fox action show.

No idea why Orphan Black was suggested to you though. It's a legitimately good show, with amazing acting from the lead(s). I guess you could make the argument that some of the acting from the peripheral characters in S1 was a little dodgy, but not bad enough to make your list.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

It's a bit older, but Firefly.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

R. Mute posted:

It's a bit older, but Firefly.

I don't think it really fits OPs criteria but I'll grant the space Western theme is pretty quaint.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

As someone who just started Continuum and is already feeling iffy about whether it actually goes anywhere, should I just stop now? I'm like 4 eps in.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Primeval, and Primeval: New World. I do love it, especially the first couple seasons, but it's pretty bad.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Brock Samson posted:

As someone who just started Continuum and is already feeling iffy about whether it actually goes anywhere, should I just stop now? I'm like 4 eps in.

Continuum is cool, the show feels kind of silly and cheap and pulpy, but they go to some genuinely interesting places, and the show takes it's own ideas seriously. It also flips the opening premise on it's head, and does that thing where it goes from episodic to being heavily serialized. That being said, there are tons of better shows on TV, but it's really good cheesy Canadian sci-fi.

If you don't like it now, I'd watch something else, though.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Nah that sounds fun, I'm enjoying it now but was just wondering if it ever elevated itself above where it is now (like the reveal at the end of ep 1 suggested). I'll stick with it, thanks.

--------------------------- derail over

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Helix. Terrible acting, cartoonish plot, absolute nonsense by the end of the season. And it got renewed somehow.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Helix. It's some of the worst television ever produced.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Being Almost Human
A buddy cop series in a future society, where one of them is a robot. The acting is really stiff. and every single case is downright ridiculous.
One was about a guy who kills people to make himself look better, so that he could impress his online date. In an ironic twist, it turns out, she was blind all along.
And the show had a pathologic need to talk about bitcoins.
I don't really mind that this show died after the firt season.

Continuum is actually quite good, but takes some time to warm up.
And Orphan Black is great. The acting is increadible.

VVV Fair enough.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 26, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's Almost Human. Being Human is either the UK or US television show about a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost all living together.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Helix's acting is pretty loving bad from what I've seen of the first episode and its science talk is bothering my ancient intuitions from high school biology, so I imagine the science is especially ridiculous throughout. It's a good candidate, but I would also like something that has aliens in it as well, that would be a bonus (Unless Helix eventually has Aliens)

Wasn't there a TV show being developed with an MMO attached to it? Is that out?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's Defiance, which has a second season starting soon.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I haven't seen the original, but the remake of V is loving godawful.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
It really sounds like you're just describing Doctor Who.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
all of them

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

WYA posted:

Right now I'm doing a sort of science fiction, comedy journal thing, I need inspiration and I need something to reference. I'm looking for badly acted, terribly scripted, hilariously special effected science fiction shows. Preferably it would have been produced within the last two years or so.

So far I have been recommended: Continuum, Arrow, and Orphan Black.

Haven't watched any of them yet, but from what I've read they sound pretty cheesy. Am I on the right track?

Terra Nova is about traveling back in time to colonize Earth before we hosed it up: The Cretaceous Period.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

WYA posted:

Helix's acting is pretty loving bad from what I've seen of the first episode and its science talk is bothering my ancient intuitions from high school biology, so I imagine the science is especially ridiculous throughout. It's a good candidate, but I would also like something that has aliens in it as well, that would be a bonus (Unless Helix eventually has Aliens)

Wasn't there a TV show being developed with an MMO attached to it? Is that out?

Helix is actually really good for the first four episodes. Then it takes a serious nosedive into shitsville. It does take some serious liberties with the science though, like suggesting mutagens are a forbidden black science art when they're used all the goddamn time in most labs.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Toast Museum posted:

I haven't seen the original, but the remake of V is loving godawful.

I agree to this. The whole show feels like a bunch of verified republican talking points. The alien intruders are literally lizard people, who want to seduce humanity with good looks and healthcare.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Helix is actually really good for the first four episodes. Then it takes a serious nosedive into shitsville. It does take some serious liberties with the science though, like suggesting mutagens are a forbidden black science art when they're used all the goddamn time in most labs.

What episode is it where the blonde doctor turns out to be infected, or whatever, and does a hilarious evil-person voice switch?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
If it wasn't made in the 90s Space: Above and Beyond would be perfect for this topic.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Air is lava! posted:

I agree to this. The whole show feels like a bunch of verified republican talking points. The alien intruders are literally lizard people, who want to seduce humanity with good looks and healthcare.

Oh god, that reminds me, there's an alien conspiracy revolving around their clean, abundant "blue energy."

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
Warehouse 13. It's got a more supernatural thing going for it but it's on the Scyfy channel and they use zappy guns and lots of historically based gadgets.

legendaryRev
May 1, 2008

Soiled Meat

Oraculum Animi posted:

Warehouse 13. It's got a more supernatural thing going for it but it's on the Scyfy channel and they use zappy guns and lots of historically based gadgets.

This times 1000. Super campy, but somehow sincere. It's science if science was magic.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Brock Samson posted:

The first season is slow compared to the other two. The second season introduces a ton of plotlines that pay off gloriously, and the third is even better. Continuum is in no way a bad show. Also, the 'bad guys' in the show are literally freedom fighters for democracy and the 'good guys' are corporatist authoritarians fighting for a future where you can be turned into a biological automaton slave for being in debt.

Contribution to 'bad sci-fi' recommendations? loving Doctor Who. It's literally the weakest, more childishly-minded sci-fi imaginable. It's like they didn't want to dare write too far above a 5-year-old's head for fear of losing potential audience.

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 27, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, Continuum is a weird show because, by design, you're going to identify more with the "terrorist" gang because the future they're trying to prevent loving sucks.

Although season 3 does have the big flaw of de-mystifying time travel. In the first two seasons you (and the characters) are constantly wondering if things can be changed or is time set and then season 3 goes out of its way to completely explain how alternate timelines and paradoxes work.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Toast Museum posted:

Oh god, that reminds me, there's an alien conspiracy revolving around their clean, abundant "blue energy."

And tainting you with free vaccinations. It felt like the writers decided that since the first V series fertilized reptilian conspiracy theories, clearly this show needed to pander to modern conspiracy wackos.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Phobic Nest posted:

And tainting you with free vaccinations. It felt like the writers decided that since the first V series fertilized reptilian conspiracy theories, clearly this show needed to pander to modern conspiracy wackos.

I've never seen the V remake, and I'm sure given it's reputation it was probably bad, but that sounds like a great premise for a show.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Periodiko posted:

I've never seen the V remake, and I'm sure given it's reputation it was probably bad, but that sounds like a great premise for a show.

The only ones who can stop them are a CIA agent who is tired of red tape, but only wants to save her son and a former military priest. :911:
Typing all of that seems like it's a parody. But it is so sincere.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Fringe, everyone on the team is super awesome and the bestest ever at what they do and the science hand wavy stuff is hilariously bad.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

If it wasn't made in the 90s Space: Above and Beyond would be perfect for this topic.

You shut your goddamn mouth :argh:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't know if 2001 is 'modern day' but this thread begins and ends with the delightful Cleopatra 2525, heralded by many as "Star Trek, but good".

quote:

When complications arise during her breast augmentation surgery, 20th-century exotic dancer Cleo (Jennifer Sky) is put into suspended animation. Waking 525 years in the future, Cleo joins two women in their fight against the Baileys, armed flying machines who now control Earth's surface. Her team leader, Hel (Gina Torres), is commanded by a mysterious female entity called "Voice", who relays orders via a communications implant under Hel's right ear. Voice controls many other teams and gives them their orders in a similar fashion, in effect forming a resistance to the Baileys, with their ultimate goal to retake the Earth's surface. Their final team member is Sarge (Victoria Pratt), whose sister belongs to a cult that regards the Baileys with reverence and willingly sacrifices themselves to them.

Humanity has moved underground and built a complex of elaborate shafts and tunnels created by the "shaft builders" to survive the Bailey menace. Cleo wows the 26th century denizens with her philosophical sayings (many of which come from the 20th century popular culture).

e: I just noticed the 'within 2 years' but it's still worth checking out.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 27, 2014

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Watched one episode of Continuum and it looks like we may have a winner. Any recommendations for that MMO show? Thats seems like it has potential. Someone was also saying something about a hunger games type show with teenagers killing eachother, is that good?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Not exactly within the last 2 years, but otherwise Andromeda fits perfectly.

edit: To be clear, it's not very good.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

WYA posted:

Watched one episode of Continuum and it looks like we may have a winner. Any recommendations for that MMO show? Thats seems like it has potential. Someone was also saying something about a hunger games type show with teenagers killing eachother, is that good?

The first one you're thinking of is Defiance. In my opinion, it's all right. Like Firefly it does have a Sci Fi western kind of thing going on but it approaches it from a different angle though. It can get a bit carried away with it though. (I.E. there's one episode where they referenced The Massacre at Wounded Knee.) The Second one you're thinking of is The 100 on the CW. I haven't seen that one though. You could also be thinking of the movie Battle Royale though.

I would also recommend Alphas. It's basically a more "realistic" take on the X-men with more mundane abilities. The first season was all right but I stopped watching during the second season.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I see people are just recommending every sci-fi show instead of just bad ones.
Continuum, though, is largely meh, but it's that way because it wastes a fascinating premise. This is only going off the first season, though. There's two really good episodes, though, one of which involving a tense hostage situation with a really dark resolution, and then the season finale, which has the best character (the crazy guy with the arts-n-crafts time machine). :allears:
Arrow and Orphan Black are not that bad.
I would highly recommend CERTAIN episodes of Doctor Who from the Eccleston and Tennant runs, though not all, because Doctor Who is a schizophrenic show that bounces between genuinely moving and bullshit for kids. Specifically I recommend Aliens of London, World War Three, Love & Monsters, Fear Her, Daleks in Manhattan, Evolution of the Daleks, The Lazarus Experiment, Last of the Time Lords, Voyage of the Damned, Planet of the Dead, and both parts of The End of Time. There are other episodes I don't like, but these are the cheesiest.
I have heard bad things about Helix, Almost Human, Defiance, Metal Hurlant whatever, The Tomorrow People, Starcrossed, The Prisoner (starring Jim Caviezel), Painkiller Jane, Flash Gordon (2007), Alcatraz, Under the Dome, Bionic Woman, Mutant X, Earth: Final Conflict, Birds of Prey, and Outcasts.
Star Trek Voyager is really everything you're looking for, as well as Heroes, with the exception that you need a terrible British sci-fi show and a terrible Canadian show as well. So, Primeval fulfills the British quotient.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xandu posted:

Not exactly within the last 2 years, but otherwise Andromeda fits perfectly.

edit: To be clear, it's not very good.

I've never seen a show so clearly get its budget slashed like what happened to Andromeda for the season 4/5 transition.

The special effects can't have been that expensive, because they were always really cheap looking, but for the finale season it all takes place on generic desert world.

S1/2 set up some interesting ideas, but at some point in S3, it becomes a pretty weak sci-fi show only kept alive by the "Gene Roddenberry" reference in the title.

As for "really bad, but great fun" check out Seven Days. It's about a jackass slightly unbalanced chrononaut who the govt can send back in time but only up to seven days, and all the hijinks he gets up too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

David D. Davidson posted:

The first one you're thinking of is Defiance. In my opinion, it's all right. Like Firefly it does have a Sci Fi western kind of thing going on but it approaches it from a different angle though. It can get a bit carried away with it though. (I.E. there's one episode where they referenced The Massacre at Wounded Knee.) The Second one you're thinking of is The 100 on the CW. I haven't seen that one though. You could also be thinking of the movie Battle Royale though.

I would also recommend Alphas. It's basically a more "realistic" take on the X-men with more mundane abilities. The first season was all right but I stopped watching during the second season.

Bad Sci-Fi and Alphas do not go together. Alphas was an amazing show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
It's been said before but I really wanna recommend Primeval. You need BBC-budget CG dinosaurs in your life.

Also try The Event, a recent one-season wonder cancelled quite quickly. And don't forget, CW's a goldmine! The Tomorrow People, Starcrossed, The 100, and that's all just from this season.

• Locked thread