Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Without Onslaught there would be no Thunderbolts. Immediately better than Doomsday :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think Onslaught is what made me mostly give up comics for, like, over twenty years. It came right after The Age of Apocalypse, right? And it was another huge, multiple-series spanning event that meant I'd have to go out and buy a ton of comics I wouldn't have read otherwise to get the whole story, wasn't it? Yeah, I just said "gently caress it" and gave up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

I always thought that the basic idea of Onslaught was kind of interesting, the fact that he's the worst aspects of Prof. X and Magneto fused together, but I guess it's just another lovely 90's MEGA EVENT comic.

I'm pretty sure the entire creative process for Onslaught was Scott Lobdell thinking it would be really cool if there was a bad guy who could punch Juggernaut from California to New Jersey.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think that the evil from Magneto and Xavier has leaked into the real world through the pages of the Spider-man comics. We're current;y stuck in the grip of OnSLOTT with no hope of escape.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Until Geoff Johns got his hands on him.

Did Johns not come up with the idea of him developing Kryptonian powers, or did that start sooner?

I know he came up with the idea that Superboy also had Luthor's DNA based on a fan theory he'd had years before he got into comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

Did Johns not come up with the idea of him developing Kryptonian powers, or did that start sooner?

I know he came up with the idea that Superboy also had Luthor's DNA based on a fan theory he'd had years before he got into comics.

Kon was starting to change and develop all new powers in the Joe Kelly run but as soon as the series ended all of that got chucked out the window. I haven't read the last 10 issues of that Superboy series in something like 10 years so I can't recall but I'm pretty sure the development of actual Kryptonian powers was all Johns since previously he was just a human clone with telekinetic powers designed to mimic Superman's.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Kon started to pick up Kryptonian powers after that Young Justice event where all the kids were turned adult and vice versa, if I remember correctly. He couldn't age because his DNA was hosed up, but once it was fixed he started getting powers that weren't just applications of TK.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's not fondly remembered largely because of the nonsensical ending where most of Earth's heroes find suicide a viable solution, and the following Heroes Reborn taking a dump on many of Marvel's major titles for about a year. If it wasn't for that it'd probably fall in line with Maximum Carnage and other overwrought but mostly just silly 90s crossovers.

Hey, what could possibly go wrong by giving Marvel flagship books (except X-Men and Spider-Man) to the Image creators for a year?

But yeah, Onslaught is just another bad 90's comic cross over for the pile. More readable than The Crossing, at least.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Random Stranger posted:

Hey, what could possibly go wrong by giving Marvel flagship books (except X-Men and Spider-Man) to the Image creators for a year?

The Image creators and Jeph Loeb too!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

Kon started to pick up Kryptonian powers after that Young Justice event where all the kids were turned adult and vice versa, if I remember correctly. He couldn't age because his DNA was hosed up, but once it was fixed he started getting powers that weren't just applications of TK.

No, his eyebeams were still TK based. He didn't have any vision powers. At one point Match taunted him for not knowing how to focus his TK powers as an eye blast.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Does DC have any reality benders like Proteus or Scarlet Witch?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Superboy Prime :downs:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Does DC have any reality benders like Proteus or Scarlet Witch?
Because Internet, there's a wiki page of comic book/pop culture characters with that specific power. DC characters listed are:
Captain Atom
Matthew Stuart/Bedlam
Mr. Mxyzptlk
nosyarG ciD/Larry
Superman Prime
The First Lantern/Volthoom
The Spectre
Trigon
The Great Evil Beast

Mxy is one I should have thought of :negative:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 27, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

Because Internet, there's a wiki page of comic book characters with that specific power. DC characters listed are:
Captain Atom
Matthew Stuart/Bedlam
Mr. Mxyzptlk
nosyarG ciD/Larry
Superman Prime
The Spectre
Trigon
The Great Evil Beast

That list also includes Kyle Broflovski :what:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

That list also includes Kyle Broflovski :what:

In the tooth fairy episode of South Park Kyle starts to doubt what is real (because of his parents lying to him) and he kind of steps outside of reality for a minute.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

In the tooth fairy episode of South Park Kyle starts to doubt what is real (because of his parents lying to him) and he kind of steps outside of reality for a minute.

I see....

Also today I saw that Galactus is on the cover or Ultimate Cataclysm, so are they retconning Gah Lak Tus or what here?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

I see....

Also today I saw that Galactus is on the cover or Ultimate Cataclysm, so are they retconning Gah Lak Tus or what here?

Nah he just hopped over to the ultimate universe for a bit

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

I see....

Due to Age of Ultron Galactus was shifted over to the Ultimate Universe.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So does that mean 616 is currently Galactus free?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

So does that mean 616 is currently Galactus free?

He is in the Negative Zone right now so he could easily return to 616

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bobkatt013 posted:

He is in the Negative Zone right now so he could easily return to 616

So they're going with "there's only one negative zone" again?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

zoux posted:

Nah, Galactus took over Gah Lak Tus and used it as an ersatz herald during Hunger, but Gah Lak Tus was defeated and sent to the Negative Zone prior to Galactus proper. Then the X-Men beat it up a lot when they accidentally got bounced into it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I have started reading Exiles because I want to relive the early 2000's pretty hard. I managed to get the first 2 trades and I quite enjoyed them. I went to one comic shop and noticed that they were missing volume 3 and 4, but had volume 5 upwards. This is no biggie as I am sure I can find the other volumes somewhere else. What I did notice was that the volumes 5 and up were written by different writers. There is Chuck Austen (who I know I should avoid), Bedard, and Claremont. I just want to know if any of the trades written by others not named Winnick are worth reading, or if I should just stick to the Winnick stuff.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Unless you really really love Psylocke and all of Claremont's other pet characters, stay as far away from his Exiles stuff as possible. Oh and there's lots and lots of mind control.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Austen's run on Exiles wasn't horrible, actually. Bedard's run is okay, too. That said, you're not missing a whole lot if you just stop reading when Winick leaves.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

redbackground posted:

Because Internet, there's a wiki page of comic book/pop culture characters with that specific power. DC characters listed are:
Captain Atom
Matthew Stuart/Bedlam
Mr. Mxyzptlk
nosyarG ciD/Larry
Superman Prime
The Spectre
Trigon
The Great Evil Beast

Barry Allen caused Flashpoint and the New 52. If SB Prime counts, Barry runs circles around him.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HitTheTargets posted:

Barry Allen caused Flashpoint and the New 52. If SB Prime counts, Barry runs circles around him.

Actually, Superman Prime is different then Superboy Prime, even though Superboy Prime did use that name in Countdown because of legal issues. Superman Prime the reality warper was present Superman's future incarnation in DC One Million. He was solid gold and could create life and poo poo like that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

HitTheTargets posted:

Time traveling and changing the past doesn't count as reality warping. :colbert:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Is Final Crisis still worth reading post-New52? For some reason I've just never read it despite loving Morrison and DC at that time.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I think it's fantastic, although it's a little bit sad that DC's response to Morrison's passionate "comics should be fun, this grim and gritty dark-so-dark bullshit is a literal vampire that is literally bleeding the industry dry and will kill it" screed was "what's that you say? We should make everything darker and get rid of all the fun poo poo? Okay then"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Unmature posted:

Is Final Crisis still worth reading post-New52? For some reason I've just never read it despite loving Morrison and DC at that time.

Yeah but it's vvvveeerrryyyy morrison so read it, then read a companion, then read it a few more times. I didn't like it at all when I first read it and now it's one of my favorite books.

Also if you're not getting the TPB make sure you get Superman Beyond

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Unmature posted:

It has just as much impact now in Nu52 as it did pre Nu52.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Unmature posted:

Realize that it is mostly meta commentary on comics, plus some art errors, plus some cool scenes, plus some cool action and character moments.

Madkal posted:

It has just as much impact now in Nu52 as it did pre Nu52.

Batman would disagree.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Unmature posted:

Never worry about comics "counting". If the premise, the creators, the characters, whatever appeal to you, read it. I didn't care for Final Crisis as it's peak Morrison, but if you like DC and like Morrison, you'll probably enjoy it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Opopanax posted:

Yeah but it's vvvveeerrryyyy morrison so read it, then read a companion, then read it a few more times. I didn't like it at all when I first read it and now it's one of my favorite books.

Also if you're not getting the TPB make sure you get Superman Beyond

Is that the one that was in 3D? I wanted to like it, but it hurt my eyes so much it just sucked. :(

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

Is that the one that was in 3D? I wanted to like it, but it hurt my eyes so much it just sucked. :(
It's been converted to standard normal human 2D comics for the trade/HC, fyi.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 28, 2014

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Unmature posted:

I don't think the fact that it's a Pre-New 52 comic should put you off reading it. Since if one follows that line of logic, you'd be ruling out a lot of really good books.

I would argue don't read it for other reasons, since I hated it. In a way, I thought, it captures all the worst elements of Morrison. a confusing story, a book that required you to read a load of tie ins to make any sense out of, characters presented grossly out of character to conform to some archetypes that Morrison has in his head, sections that are (supposedly) deliberately confusing just to make a kind of meta point and dialogue that is impossibly clunky and awkward.

That being said, you say you really like Morrison's work, so feel free to try it. Just because I didn't like it, doesn't mean it's automatically garbage as other people here say they like it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
No, I know a good comic is a good comic, guys. I was just curious since it was a big event book if the main reason to read it was for a good story or for what it was setting up.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's interesting, but more for the ideas than the story, which is muddled as other people have mentioned. It's certainly one of the better line-wide crossovers DC has had since...

... uh...

... wow. A long time. Certainly the one most worth reading of the 2000-Present era, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's interesting, but more for the ideas than the story, which is muddled as other people have mentioned. It's certainly one of the better line-wide crossovers DC has had since...

... uh...

... wow. A long time. Certainly the one most worth reading of the 2000-Present era, at least.

52, though.