Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

GokieKS posted:

Been needing to get a new chair for a while - I've actually quite liked this cheap-ish one I got from Office Max (or Depot, who can keep them straight?) years ago, but the padding is getting too worn out. I'm still hesitant to spend too much on a chair, so I was initially looking at the IKEA Markus, but their fabric versions only come in silly colors that I hate. Today I found a listing on CL that's close(ish) to me for a "like new" Herman Miller Embody for $500, and I'm really tempted. Apparently Herman Miller warranties aren't transferrable though, so I wouldn't have access to the 12 year warranty. It seems quite a lot of people buy these used, so I figure I'd ask - has anyone had to get out of warranty repairs on their HM chairs (not necessarily the Embody which is still pretty new)? I mean it should still be a very high quality chair, but it does give me a bit of pause for if something goes wrong.

Not sure if they've cracked down in recent years or something, but I've never had Herman Miller ask for a proof of purchase for a chair repair. Last place I worked we inherited several aerons that the previous tenant left in the office space we moved into, and Herman Miller repaired them no questions asked when people did dumb things and broke them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Maneki Neko posted:

Not sure if they've cracked down in recent years or something, but I've never had Herman Miller ask for a proof of purchase for a chair repair. Last place I worked we inherited several aerons that the previous tenant left in the office space we moved into, and Herman Miller repaired them no questions asked when people did dumb things and broke them.

Hmm, that's good to hear. I've been leaning towards it anyway, but if the chair is available and looks like it's in good condition I'll probably pick it up then.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Staybridge Suites I'm staying at has Herman Miller Aeron chairs in the rooms. This is the first time I've sat in one, and I must have it. :swoon:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just noticed that the semi-annual Herman Miller sale appears to be starting on Friday May 30th until Mon June 9th.

I've been looking to pick up a Mirra 2 for awhile now and this seems like the perfect opportunity.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

The Staybridge Suites I'm staying at has Herman Miller Aeron chairs in the rooms. This is the first time I've sat in one, and I must have it. :swoon:

That is a lot to spend on a chair. It looks like it would be comfy though.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

SlayVus posted:

That is a lot to spend on a chair. It looks like it would be comfy though.

They are not bad, but are pretty outdated as they have been around for a long time now.

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004
I'm in New England area and am looking for a better office chair. My budget is ~$200, what should I get? I have Amazon Prime so I'm tempted to get something from there.

FlyWhiteBoy fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 28, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is this thread ok for desk talk?

I want a standing desk but the adjustable ones are kinda pricey considering I'll be standing 100% of the time. I went to a few local stores and non of them had standing or adjustable desks at all. IKEA had some tall legs but not nearly tall enough. I measured my adjustable desk at work and it's 40" from the floor to the base of the desk. I think the tallest legs at ikea are 36".

Maybe I should just roll my own?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KillHour posted:

The Aeron is OK. It's great for long periods of loving around and relaxing posting poo poo on SA, but it doesn't have the proper upper back support to get a serious recommendation from me. Even at its most extreme upright position, it just doesn't cut the mustard as far as upper back support is concerned. I don't have a ready recommendation as an alternative, but the Aeron to me is just barely better than some random Office Max chair.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

I'm in New England area and am looking for a better office chair. My budget is ~$200, what should I get? I have Amazon Prime so I'm tempted to get something from there.

You don't actually have a budget at $200. Get a $10 chair from Craigslist.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Shaocaholica posted:

Is this thread ok for desk talk?

I want a standing desk but the adjustable ones are kinda pricey considering I'll be standing 100% of the time. I went to a few local stores and non of them had standing or adjustable desks at all. IKEA had some tall legs but not nearly tall enough. I measured my adjustable desk at work and it's 40" from the floor to the base of the desk. I think the tallest legs at ikea are 36".

Maybe I should just roll my own?

There is a desk thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599425

That said, Ikea does have tall legs, I built a standing desk from Ikea parts a few months ago using these legs, the desk top is a bit over 42 inches high:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60261626/

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Maneki Neko posted:

There is a desk thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599425

That said, Ikea does have tall legs, I built a standing desk from Ikea parts a few months ago using these legs, the desk top is a bit over 42 inches high:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60261626/

Thanks I'll check those legs out but I might actually roll my own with steel pipe and a butchers block having seen a few on etsy.

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004

baquerd posted:

You don't actually have a budget at $200. Get a $10 chair from Craigslist.

I am thinking the Steelcase Criterion fits in my budget. Is there a step up from that and still in my budget?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I paid £80 each for 2x Steelcase Thinks a few years back. So if you're happy to wait a bit and jump on a used one then you can definitely get something for that sort of cash.

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004
I have no problem getting a used one. Right now my options are Steelcase Criterion for $75 or Steelcase Amia for $175. What would you guys go with?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Amia is a good shout for that price.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Can anyone tell me if this is really a leap v2? I'm looking at pictures and I can't really tell the difference.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/fuo/4494417762.html

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

Can anyone tell me if this is really a leap v2? I'm looking at pictures and I can't really tell the difference.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/fuo/4494417762.html

It is a V2. The V1 will have a "rounder" look to both the armpads and the back.

spiderlemur
Nov 6, 2010
Pretty good sale going on here - http://www.madisonseating.com/annual-spring-mega-sale.html

Grabbed myself a highly adjustable Aeron for $550, I'm pretty happy with that price considering I can't find a used one anywhere here so it's as good as it's going to get.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ugh, if only I had 400 bucks laying around I would buy that think.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

spiderlemur posted:

Pretty good sale going on here - http://www.madisonseating.com/annual-spring-mega-sale.html

Grabbed myself a highly adjustable Aeron for $550, I'm pretty happy with that price considering I can't find a used one anywhere here so it's as good as it's going to get.

Jesus, they have a Mirra there for LESS than the Aerons. Do your back a favor and get the Mirra instead.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I just grabbed an adjustable Mirra. I was pretty torn between that and a Leap v2 but I've tried the Mirra and liked it quite a bit so I went with the known quantity.

Thanks for the heads up.

Living in New Hampshire with little to no chair resale market on craigslist sucks.

angus725
Jan 5, 2014

Recently ordered a new Embody for $875 (CAD, so about $800 USD).

Cant wait until it arrives.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I spec'd out a fully loaded Mirra 2 on Herman Miller's site and with the 15% discount going on right now it came to about $975. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on this and the only thing that's keeping me from doing it is the sheer amount of overkill this is for my house. Then again, I will likely never have to buy a desk chair again so it's worth it from that perspective.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also that's 'only' ~$80 per year, assuming it stops working on the day of its 12th birthday, which it probably won't.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, the real thing that kept me from pulling the trigger the day the sale started is the drat 4-6 week lead time on delivery. Delayed gratification really annoys me.

It makes no real difference in the long run, it just causes me to contemplate the purchase more because I know I can't have it within the same week of deciding to buy.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm switching over to a standing desk for my health! So, a stool or standing chair of some kind is needed for sitting time. I went to the local surplus office place and didn't find anything that excited me. Any advice?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

spiderlemur posted:

That doesn't look like much less than that site normally sells them for. I've heard mixed things about that website, and also make sure you see the fine print in the bottom that says "open box".

spiderlemur
Nov 6, 2010

RightClickSaveAs posted:

That doesn't look like much less than that site normally sells them for. I've heard mixed things about that website, and also make sure you see the fine print in the bottom that says "open box".

Yeah, and I also noticed that they're not an authorized HM dealer, so I don't even think the 12 year warranty from HM will apply. It's still the cheapest I can find these chairs at since there's no used market for them in my area, so hopefully the gamble pays off.

spiderlemur fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 3, 2014

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It is a V2. The V1 will have a "rounder" look to both the armpads and the back.

Thanks, I bought it. It's great, way more comfortable than the aeron at my old job.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
Does anyone have any input on the differences between the Leap V1 and Leap V2? The sale that spiderlemur posted is going to make me make some tough decision.

spiderlemur
Nov 6, 2010
Is the Aeron really that uncomfortable of a chair? Seeing multiple posts related to that after I bought one makes me think twice about the purchase already, I would have cancelled but they already processed the order.

Needless to say there's no HM or similar dealer anywhere in my area to actually try these things before buying, which is a huge bummer. The reason I went for an Aeron in the first place is because I figured it's the best chair out of the sale I could buy without having to sit in first since it's a common recommendation.

spiderlemur fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 3, 2014

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

spiderlemur posted:

Is the Aeron really that uncomfortable of a chair? Seeing multiple posts related to that after I bought one makes me think twice about the purchase already, I would have cancelled but they already processed the order.

Needless to say there's no HM or similar dealer anywhere in my area to actually try these things before buying, which is a huge bummer. The reason I went for an Aeron in the first place is because I figured it's the best chair out of the sale I could buy without having to sit in first since it's a common recommendation.

I use an Aeron at work and I absolutely hate it. It has mediocre back support, the mesh is too firm and the edge of the seat digs into my hamstrings and leaves my legs feeling tired and numb. It's not a good ergonomic chair. I think the reason businesses are still in love with it is mostly down to it having excellent build quality. It'll last for decades.

I have a Steelcase Leap V2 at home and it's a far superior chair in every respect apart from build quality. If you need an Aeron-type chair, get the Mirra. It fixed some of the major flaws with Aeron.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The Aeron used to be the be all end all ergonomic chair. Now there are better designed chairs by other companies as well as Herman Miller.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

An Aeron is a great chair for a meeting or conference. It is a terrible chair to sit in all day.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

Quanta posted:

I have a Steelcase Leap V2 at home and it's a far superior chair in every respect apart from build quality. If you need an Aeron-type chair, get the Mirra. It fixed some of the major flaws with Aeron.

I'm seriously considering getting the Leap V2 from that sale that was posted: http://www.madisonseating.com/leap-chair-v2-black-by-steelcase.html

I cannot find any Leaps local and every Leap on Ebay is for local pickup only. Has anyone seen it much lower in price? It's open box for $549 with free shipping.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

The Aeron used to be the be all end all ergonomic chair. Now there are better designed chairs by other companies as well as Herman Miller.

It's actually NOT an ergonomic chair despite the fact that it launched the ergonomic chair craze. It was intended as a conference room chair, but it looked so different everyone wanted one at their desks. The Mirra line is Herman Miller's attempt to essentially create an Aeron that's actually ergonomic.

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Does anyone have any input on the differences between the Leap V1 and Leap V2? The sale that spiderlemur posted is going to make me make some tough decision.

There's a large number of changes to make the chair more user-friendly, comfortable, and adjustable. I could look them up and list them, but really, just get a V2 if given the choice between the two. In general it's just a much better chair.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That makes sense. Before I had ever seen an Aeron, I had only heard of it through goons. I assumed it was some sort of mesh goon hammock. I didn't realize I had been sitting in one at work until I finally looked it up one day.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

That makes sense. Before I had ever seen an Aeron, I had only heard of it through goons. I assumed it was some sort of mesh goon hammock. I didn't realize I had been sitting in one at work until I finally looked it up one day.

Yeah it's funny how that works. I couldn't tell you what chairs I sat in at my last few jobs despite being in them for 8 hours a day. But now that I'm in the chair industry, I'm hyper-aware of every chair I sit in - what brand it is, what adjustments it has, how well it fits me, etc.

In general, that's the best advice I can give to you guys. Become aware of your chair. Know what you're sitting in. Try all the adjustments, find out what they do and when you should use them. Find out if it's a brand name chair, and then what the chair is actually intended for. Is it a cheapie budget chair? A broke-rear end older chair? A conference room chair? If it's an ergonomic chair, is it really the right size and shape for you?

If you have the wrong chair (or a bad chair), demand a better one - your company will save money by getting you a better chair rather than waiting for you to be injured. If you work for yourself, put some money aside for a good chair - yes, it might be expensive. But would you buy a car that is guaranteed to crash and kill you because it's cheaper? Plop down the $500+ for a good chair - it's your goddamn body.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost
Any thoughts on mirra 1 vs 2? Had the chance to try out a mirra 1 which was pretty comfortable and it's cheaper than the mirra 2s. Can't find any 2s around to try sitting in.