Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

1. I Accuse My parents.
Two very strange shorts, accompanied by a film that the guys eviscerate.

2. Gamera vs Guiron
I'm a sucker for monster movies and man, does this film suck in the best ways!

3. Warrior of the Lost World
The lead in WoLW is as stiff as a cigar store indian.

4. Pod People
The dead eyed bossy brat stars in the role of a lifetime. Some great one liners.

5.Squirm
Flesh eating worms. The least imposing threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.
#1 is Final Sacrifice no question
in no particular order the rest are:

Space Mutiny
Prince of Space
Santa Claus
Overdrawn at the Memory Bank

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Everything mentioned already but also Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell.

POTATOES ARE WHAT WE EAT

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Angel's Revenge
Mitchell
Pumaman
Red Zone Cuba
Beginning of the End

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm going to second Space Mutiny, Santa Claus, Mitchell, and Red Zone Cuba.

I'm kind of wondering how I could possibly be the first one to mention Manos: the Hands of Fate.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Madurai posted:

I'm going to second Space Mutiny, Santa Claus, Mitchell, and Red Zone Cuba.

I'm kind of wondering how I could possibly be the first one to mention Manos: the Hands of Fate.

Manos is awesome, but it's one where you'd have to be a serious fan of the show to enjoy. Manos was the first MST3K I was ever shown (a fan was trying to get me as a fan), and it was just awful. Hated the show after that. But one day we watched Mitchell, and that was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen. It made me a fan, and it wasn't until later that I could go back and truly enjoy Manos.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Manos is awesome, but it's one where you'd have to be a serious fan of the show to enjoy. Manos was the first MST3K I was ever shown (a fan was trying to get me as a fan), and it was just awful. Hated the show after that. But one day we watched Mitchell, and that was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen. It made me a fan, and it wasn't until later that I could go back and truly enjoy Manos.

That's fair--it wouldn't be a good first episode, for no other reason that it's atypical. Part of the humor is just appreciating how grievous an offence it is.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I haven't seen many episodes but I have seen the Manos one and the movie is so boring and lovely that there's really not much to work with. I appreciated it more after seeing other episodes and realizing how amazing it was that they did as much as they were able to with Manos.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
Space Mutiny (check my SA name)
Final Sacrifice
Pod People
Prince of Space
Manos

drat, I STILL miss this show. Rifftrax is great, but not quite the same.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Obviously personal preferences and all

1. Prince of Space
2. Pumaman
3. Space Mutiny
4. Attack of the The Eye Creature
5. Fugitive Alien
5. Overdrawn at the Memory Bank

Sorry, I had to make the last a tie.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
1.) Prince of Space

2.) Devil Doll

3.) Santa Claus

4.) Mitchell

5.) Space Mutiny

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Mitchell
Danger! Death Ray (try getting Watermelon Man out of your head)
Eegah
I Accuse My Parents
The Sinister Urge (Need some Edward Wood Jr. love)

Been a while since I've watched any, just going off of memorable parts, some episodes might not be 'good' per se but have excellent bits that still stick out... although I'd rather throw in another 5

Operation Double 007 (If only for the character of Dr. Neil Connery, a plastic surgeon hypnotist karate master archer who is the brother of 007, and of course the crazy Morricone score)
Red Zone Cuba
Warrior of the Lost World
Riding with Death
Final Sacrifice

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

In no particular order:

--Space Mutiny

--Final Justice (even better than Mitchell, in my heathen opinion)

--Track of the Moon Beast

--Soultaker

--Time Chasers

Obviously I'm much more familiar with the SciFi era, although I've watched many episodes from the early years as well.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Also in no real order:

Overdrawn at the Memory Bank

Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders

Touch of Satan

Time Chasers

Final Sacrifice

Basically the majority of the tail end of Mike.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

John Denver Hoxha posted:

Mitchell
Danger! Death Ray (try getting Watermelon Man out of your head)
Eegah
I Accuse My Parents
The Sinister Urge (Need some Edward Wood Jr. love)

Been a while since I've watched any, just going off of memorable parts, some episodes might not be 'good' per se but have excellent bits that still stick out... although I'd rather throw in another 5

Operation Double 007 (If only for the character of Dr. Neil Connery, a plastic surgeon hypnotist karate master archer who is the brother of 007, and of course the crazy Morricone score)
Red Zone Cuba
Warrior of the Lost World
Riding with Death
Final Sacrifice

How did I forget Mitchell? Nevermind, there are far too many to be whittled down to a top five. Fun game, though.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Not necessarily in order, but:

Pumaman
Werewolf
12 to the Moon
Final Sacrifice
Space Mutiny

Prince of Space is definitely close behind on the list, though. Surprised I'm the first one to mention Werewolf.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
No particular order, though Zombie Nightmare is my favorite of all.

Zombie Nightmare
Final Sacrifice
Red Zone Cuba
Santa Claus
Danger Diabolik

I also like Final Justice more than Mitchell, but it might be because I've seen Mitchell so many more times, and I still haven't been able to piece together the plot.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ShakeZula posted:

Not necessarily in order, but:

Pumaman
Werewolf
12 to the Moon
Final Sacrifice
Space Mutiny

Prince of Space is definitely close behind on the list, though. Surprised I'm the first one to mention Werewolf.

Warwilf is great.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

1) Space Mutiny, forever in my heart
2) Pumaman
3) Wurwilf (Werewolf)
4) Giant Spider Invasion
5) Prince of Space

Badcounterpoint
Mar 5, 2014
1) Time chasers
2) Overdrawn at the memory bank.
3) Space mutiny
4) Prince of space
5) Laserblast

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
A bit of an atypical list for me, mostly because I've only got a small selection of episodes and I've watched them often. I really need to pick up all the episodes soon, MST3k was such an amazing show.

Also, my first piece of writing technically published online, under a pseudonym of course since I was like 14 at the time, was a MSTing, which is basically taking written material (most commonly fanfiction) and writing riffs based on it, with the pretense that the bad fanfic was being projected on a screen instead of the movie and the MST3k cast was forced to read it. I'm sure this seems weird as hell to most people, but I really dug it in my youth. You can find a MSTing archive at http://svamcentral.org/ewic/mstings.html where my crappy MSTing sits among a lot of other bad ones, and also amazing ones by Megane 6.7. I encourage anyone interested in checking MSTings out to read Megane's first, I always really enjoyed them.

Anyway, I guess I just got nostalgic for a bit there, so my apologies. List time!

1) The Leech Woman
Something about this one is just hilarious to me, and I basically know the riff line-by-line from watching it so often.

2) Manos
I completely agree about it being a hard one to watch for newcomers, but to me it's just an amazing riff on an amazingly bad movie.

3) Laserblast
Another from my rather limited current collection, but even if it only had the Leonard Maltin references it would make my list.

4) MST3k the movie (This Island Earth)
I know this isn't too popular, but I have fond memories of watching it with my friend and I always quite enjoyed it.

5) Final Sacrifice
Just a grade A episode all around, not much more to say about it. I don't have it in my collection, I'll have to get it soon!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

The Creeper is one of my favorites that hasn't been mentioned. Glad to see the Laserblast love.

I think Manos has the distinction of worst movie but not necessarily best episode.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I think it really comes down to the Mike/Joel split. I'm a Mike man.

Space Mutiny
Time Chasers
Prince of Space
Riding With Death
Puma Man

IMDB agrees that Seasons 9 and 10 were a golden age.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

My favorite was always "The Human Duplicators". When I watched it the first time I was in absolute stitches the entire show. It is just one fantastic riff after another, combined with Tom Servo making an army of himself presuming (incorrectly) that they will automatically be obedient.

I still use lines from it on a daily basis, like "Can I ride on your back? I wanna ride on your back, come on." to "Forgot my pants!"

They even put an incredible spin on the old "say something" joke:

Female character: "Say something..."
Crow: "Something"
Male character: "Something"
Crow: "D'oh!"

I have always been confused as to why nobody else ever lists it among their favorites. It's amazing. It's not reproduced either, as far as I know. I have an old lovely copied from VHS mpg of it and that's all I've ever found.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Badcounterpoint posted:

1) Time chasers
2) Overdrawn at the memory bank.
3) Space mutiny
4) Prince of space
5) Laserblast

The only argument I have with this list is the order. Well maybe Pu-maah-min instead of Laserblast, too. But 6 of one...

See you on the dark side of Raul...

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 8, 2014

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Mitchell is probably the only one that I really love watching. All the rest I'd rate the same.

I still just randomly blurt out "Mitchell!" sometimes for no drat reason.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
1. Outlaw

2. Diabolik

3. Santa Clause

4. Jack Frost

5. The Day the Earth Froze

Honorable Mentions: Space Mutiny, Mitchell, and Final Sacrifice. And gently caress... Pumaman.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Philthy posted:

I still just randomly blurt out "Mitchell!" sometimes for no drat reason.

Heh, I do that to. I also use the nicknames from Space Mutiny more often than I probably should>

Buggalo
Mar 31, 2010
No mention of Cave Dwellers? It may be because it's one of the first episodes I watched, but god drat do I love to rewatch it.

"How much Keefe is in this movie anyway?"

"Miles O'Keefe."

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
In no particular order...

Space Mutiny
Angel's Revenge
Laserblast
Pod People
Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders

Special Mentions:

Moon Zero-Two
Prince of Space

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Davros1 posted:

It was my first episode as well. I watched it around 2003 when I first got into the show, after hearing about it non-stop online. It's not a BAD episode for a first-timer but there are a lot of little moments that only click for seasoned MST3K fans. Namely that the Best Brains crew found the movie so absolutely bizarre they weren't sure they could riff it, but wanted the world to see Manos at the same time so it's a little meta at times. After I watched episodes like Laserblast, Mitchell and the Coleman Francis trilogy I understood the framework of the show that made Manos a LOT more entertaining to watch.

Anyways, my 5 in alphabetical order

Danger!! Death Ray (worth it just for their reaction to the special effects)
Laserblast (any MST3K newbies, this is the one for you and I wish it was the first one I watched)
Mitchell (final Joel episode, easily the most quotable episode they did)
Red Zone Cuba (personally, the worst movie I thought they did but the thing about MST3K fans is everyone has "the worst movie")
Space Mutiny (the riffs on this one are golden)

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I think it really comes down to the Mike/Joel split. I'm a Mike man.

I know I'm bringing up the Joel vs. Mike debate that never ends. But watching MST3K as an adult I'm getting that they had two different styles of comedy that worked brilliantly in different ways. Joel was all about attitude, cadence and demeanor (often in reaction to the bots) which worked VERY well when it worked. Mike, being the head writer of the show, was all about articulation and dialogue which meant we got hilarious exchanges like the famous "They blew up the Hitler building!" riff.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 9, 2014

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

1. The Final Sacrifice

2. Space Mutiny

3. Pod People

4. I Accuse My Parents (first one I ever saw)

5. Manos

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
I like "I Was A Teenage Werewolf" partly because it is a well-produced movie (for it's time anyway). I have a hard time watching those grainy foreign episodes. Also:

Depressing Dad: Tony?
Tony: Yeah pop?
Crow: Give up.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
1. Space Mutiny

2. The Final Sacrifice

3/4/5. Anything else

This is not an opinion.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
1. Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
2. Timechasers
3. Manos
4. Prince of Space
5. Eegah

If you can get your hands on MST3K: The Movie, then slot that in above Manos, but below Overdrawn and Timechasers

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

OldSenileGuy posted:

If you can get your hands on MST3K: The Movie, then slot that in above Manos, but below Overdrawn and Timechasers

This guy isn't so Senile after all, he has some good opinions!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
If we're talking "five best episodes to get a new person into MST3K" (no particular order):

Space Mutiny
Future War
Hobgoblins
The Giant Spider Invasion
Time Chasers

And if I'm just listing five of my own personal favorites that aren't in the list above (again, no particular order):

Red Zone Cuba
Racket Girls
Godzilla vs. Megalon
Horrors of Spider Island
The Incredible Melting Man

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Space Mutiny
Merlin's Shop
Diabolik
Werewolf
Monster A Go-Go

This was harder than I thought. Took me like ten minutes to write it out.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Outlaw was the first one I ever saw, and it had me hooked. The host segments (including the musical number in the middle), as well as the riffing and the mocking of Jack Palance made that episode so drat good. It's the one I show people who have never seen the show before and it has the same effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I don't really understand a list without Space Mutiny. It's really the perfectly balanced episode, with good riffing, a movie that was watchably stupid (and not boring stupid, like Manos), and a gradual simultaneous build of the jokes AND the movie's stupidity.

• Locked thread