Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

this man gets paid to teach english

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Don Tacorleone posted:

Skimming over the documents posted in this thread it seems pretty easy to grasp and it's how I naturally added numbers in my head (while taught with a traditional curriculum), i.e. 83+22 is (80+20) and (3+2) 105
but youre not using the power of the base-10 system at all
i bet you cant even tell me why 83 + 22 is 105
observe this simpler method

83 +2 +5 +10 +

now ive got a 22 -10 -5 -2 problem to work on let me get a sheet of paper just hang on the good news is were at 100 and if you know anything about the provantages of the base-10 system with math statements you know that being here is better than memorizing the algorithmic complexity of borrow and carry or anything else

...10 +5 +2 is 17

22 -17
22 -2 -10 -5 equals...

equals...

22 -2 -10 -5 equals 5

100 + 5 is 105

the answer to whatever the original problem was is 105

what do you mean you want to speak to my supervisor im here to give you correct change its not my fault if your fries are cold now

mom mom can you pick me up
it happened again

i begged them to supply me with graphing paper i begged them

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 27, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

DeepQantas posted:

Haha, the more I listen to this video, the more I realize how hosed you guys are. Bill Gates designed your curriculum...

This isn't really true, but I will elaborate.

Basically, plutocrats (who were usually born upper-middle class at minimum) honestly believe that you can compensate for a poor home life with improved education standards.

You absolutely cannot. The very notion is myopic. You could have the best education standards ever devised, but basic human reasoning would tell you it does not matter if a child has no motivation.

Look at what happened with Zuckerberg's 100 million dollar grant to Newark, which highlights this reality extremely well.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 27, 2014

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013
i hope this thread teaches everyone the important lesson that even if you got a phd you still can be a complete moron

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

DeepQantas posted:

If you don't want to watch the whole 2 hour video (you should, tho) just check the part at 1:10:14:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si-kx5-MKSE&t=4214s

This person is insane. Are you a dummy?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

He's saying that common core is going to result in sex ed being taught every day in every subject. They're going to teach your 5 year old that it is ok for johnny to have two daddies, and they're going to do it Math.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Akumu posted:

Everything in those images makes perfect sense, and if you can't understand it you're a god-damned idiot.

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW
everything is terrible, and i regret making this thread.

gas it already

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
dude the op of a thread has a close thread button

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW

gary oldmans diary posted:

dude the op of a thread has a close thread button

on you now

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I skipped over most of the thread but its funny that someone linked a two hour libertarian rant from a crazy person and said "you should watch the whole thing"

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
FINISH IT

MYAAAH

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

a cop posted:

This person is insane. Are you a dummy?
Maybe. Still going through Stotsky/Milgram testimony and they confirm a lot of the non-crazy stuff.

Design Spots posted:

everything is terrible, and i regret making this thread.

gas it already
Holy crap, Bill Gates got to the OP!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

DeepQantas posted:

If you don't want to watch the whole 2 hour video (you should, tho) just check the part at 1:10:14:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si-kx5-MKSE&t=4214s

why would you link to the dumbest part? oh boo hoo stupid parents cant spend 5 mins to understand this

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Man a thread where I lean towards Rhonyn posts. Ya'll really done it

at least someone else shares my shameet it" when that is the dumbest criticism possible

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

edit :gently caress double post

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

a cop posted:

I skipped over most of the thread but its funny that someone linked a two hour libertarian rant from a crazy person and said "you should watch the whole thing"

loving lol

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Has anyone posted Louis CK's Common Core Twitter rant yet?

http://www.salon.com/2014/04/29/louis_c_k_blasts_the_common_core_it_feels_like_a_dark_time/

And on Letterman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cSKnCBcEDo

Billy Everyteen
May 6, 2009
so um,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxYfimNeCtY

jfc

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
aatrek is loving your children.

Billy Everyteen
May 6, 2009
Also you should watch the whole thing.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
doesnt the first 30 seconds with the sinister choice of color coding palette give away the ending

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Trojan? Parents who cant figure out Common Core need to know more about Trojan.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

ArbitraryC posted:

The math in the OP makes sense to me and is something people who understand math tend to intuitively do. They basically break apart numbers in an equation such that the individual steps are all much easier solutions than having to do it in a single step. If you've ever done mental math for multiplying two larger numbers (like doing 34x72 in your head), then you've probably naturally broken the numbers into factors that were easier to work with, then combined them in the end. It's actually a kind of cool method because breaking the numbers into various factors or fractions is in itself math that shows you understand conceptually what the numbers you're working with mean. 32 isn't just 32, it's 30+2 or 10+10+10+2 or whatever, it's all the same thing just written differently.

I, too, am of this opinion.

Billy Everyteen
May 6, 2009

gary oldmans diary posted:

doesnt the first 30 seconds with the sinister choice of color coding palette give away the ending

Sometimes, when you encounter a rabbit hole the only way to find out how deep it goes is to dive right in. It starts getting real good around ~15 minutes but I guess you could stop watching after that.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Lamebot posted:

I, too, am of this opinion.

Yeah, what he said. AFAIK there's exactly 3 ways to do mental arithmetic: (a) immediately see the answer, (b) use imaginary paper, or (c) this. Do enough of (b) and you'll end up inventing (c) on your own, from necessity.

I think it's loving stupid to teach it as a way of doing arithmetic with actual paper & pencil though.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Nomikos posted:

Yeah, what he said. AFAIK there's exactly 3 ways to do mental arithmetic: (a) immediately see the answer, (b) use imaginary paper, or (c) this. Do enough of (b) and you'll end up inventing (c) on your own, from necessity.

I think it's loving stupid to teach it as a way of doing arithmetic with actual paper & pencil though.
exactly its a teaching tool suitable perhaps for in-class practice by students for exposure to the system but now were testing them on their proficiency specifically of an internal logic they might not even be using and apparently to some at the detriment of the idea that proficiency and mastery of classic addition and subtraction skills are even worthwhile

a good idea run amok between idea and implementation

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Design Spots posted:

Americas youth is hosed.

I think how they do this is stupid:

I look at it as 26+4 = 30 that's easy so then add 13. 43.

Now that I actually got some sleep and revisited this thread it looks good This is how kids should be learning it. Some of the stuff is retarded, but this is closer to right. Not completely, but closer.

Now if only we would stop teaching our kids loving feet and fahrenheit.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Al Borland posted:

Now if only we would stop teaching our kids loving feet and fahrenheit.
you sick kiddie foot fucker

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Al Borland posted:

I think how they do this is stupid:

I look at it as 26+4 = 30 that's easy so then add 13. 43.

The cool thing is that they are supposed to encourage you to solve it in whatever way is easy for you. There's many paths to the same goal, not just a robotic algorithm.

This becomes important later down the line when you don't have an easy algorithm to tell you how to rearrange a function in order to integrate.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I don't know if I'd call holding large numbers in your head a 'robotic algorithm' and your entire second paragraph seems like nonsense

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
This lady's here to talk about childhood developmental psychology and chew bubblegum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tSQlJE6VuA

tl;dw
Kids can't do abstract thinking in kindergarten like CC wants them to

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

gently caress the ROW posted:

I don't know if I'd call holding large numbers in your head a 'robotic algorithm' and your entire second paragraph seems like nonsense

I'm referring to the algorithm where you line up the two numbers and add or subtract each column in turn.

For the second paragraph, I'm thinking of stuff like this: http://www.math.hmc.edu/calculus/tutorials/complete_sq/

You have to get used to manipulating functions in whatever way makes it easier.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i wish we could capture with an mri that moment where something in math goes from barely understood natural
it always felt like something happened all-at-once when it happened while awake

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I guess I just don't get the core concept. Everybody is familiar with drunk math where you make the numbers smaller

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
you go left adding enough to each digit place to 0 or 5 then 0 as many as you can then go back right adding enough to use up whats left while keeping track of what youve used and whats left to use which youre constantly taking from by estimation since actually subtracting from this would defeat the point
basically doing it the way kids who keep guessing until they get the right answer do it
the ordinary way is to quickly go from the ones place leftward only keeping track of the incrementing sum that is the finished sum when theres nothing left to add

seriously the supposedly complicated algorithm actually looks a lot simpler and not really any more memory intensive but the other way probably works better if you just dont plan on explaining the syntax of written numbers and just hope the kids will figure that out doing the work so maybe it is designed specifically for classrooms insanely overcrowded

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
what?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
basically if you dont trust kids to be able to add numbers that will have sums between 11 and 19 and would rather use a proxy 10 instead using of a "carry" (totally eliminated that carry concept well done)
mentally adding numbers that sum to 10 or less: ok
mentally adding number that will pass 10: slow down better break that up into a few steps too hard for mankind we have calculators ya know

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

If the right-wing hates it, it's probably best to keep doing it.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
best to keep doing it but revise the testing and graded work to not care what internal processes the kids use
or care if they intentionally forget the phrase "math statements" in disgust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
if you don't teach the distributive property before the multiplication algorithm, then it makes no drat sense at all

• Locked thread