Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

grack posted:

Um... are you looking for neutral sound signature or something like your S4i's? The S4i's aren't remotely neutral headphones, even the reference version.

As for custom tips, you can get custom tips for just about anything these days.

I'm looking for something neutral. I bought the s4 because it was available quickly when I had needed a headset. That's part of the reason I'm asking , I noticed that some music sounded very different compared to on my stereo system or computer. I meant more that I'm mostly happy with the s4's in terms of comfort, overall cord length, microphone quality, etc. sorry for the confusion.

Do you have a recommendation on where to go to get a set of custom molds made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It'll probably depend on the iem's. Etymotic has a program through ACS that makes them a good bit cheaper than normal. I think Sure has a similar deal with another company. For what it's worth, I really like my hf3's with custom molds, though the controls are pretty near where you seem to not want them.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
So due to dog related technical issues my HD595s are no longer functioning or in a reparable state. I've had them for 6 years and they've served me pretty faithfully...should I just get the HD598s as they're practically the same thing, or is there a clear upgrade path to a better pair of phones that have similar feel and characteristics?

I'm willing to spend up to 600 on some headphones this go around.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
With that much you could jump up to the HD600, which seems like it could be a worthwhile upgrade.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

So due to dog related technical issues my HD595s are no longer functioning or in a reparable state. I've had them for 6 years and they've served me pretty faithfully...should I just get the HD598s as they're practically the same thing, or is there a clear upgrade path to a better pair of phones that have similar feel and characteristics?

I'm willing to spend up to 600 on some headphones this go around.
HD 650s and you're done.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Yea, what they said. If you like the Senn house sound, then that's a good way to go.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I was browsing the web for a high quality, bluetooth/wired noise canceling headphone. Read the wirecutter's article:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bluetooth-on-or-over-ear-headphones/

The Jabras look good, but no noise cancelling. Then I stumbled on the Logitech Ultimate Ears 9000. They are not made anymore and are like $500 open box on Amazon and hard to find, so off to eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111189946478

Bought them earlier this week, they arrived today. Holy poo poo they are awesome. Bought another pair for the wife.

I don't normally F5 this thread, but in the event you are looking for a solid quality set of cans with bluetooth, these are it.

The eBay seller is great. They are brand new, still had the factory plastic on them. Highly recommend these! My Bose QC's are going up for sale now.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Just FYI, there are a lot of counterfeit headphones on eBay and some of them are nearly indistinguishable.

Not saying you got taken, just be careful and verify dealers.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Just FYI, there are a lot of counterfeit headphones on eBay and some of them are nearly indistinguishable.

Not saying you got taken, just be careful and verify dealers.

Yeah, I realize that but these are the real thing. If you check the seller's feedback and other items for sale, he appears to be a clearinghouse of sorts for Logitech.

They sound incredible but are heavy. I suppose this could be a good thing because they are built like a tank.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
My current headset I use for gaming is on the fritz, and I'm trying to find a good replacement headset with mic on Amazon (I want to get it quickly).

Budget: $60-90 is around what I'm looking to spend. For gaming sounds need to be good and immersive, but nothing amazing. If there's a headset with a mic that's higher than my range but has _______ that makes it amazing, I'd consider it.
Source: Primarily at my computer for gaming, potentially with my iPod/iPhone.
Isolation Requirements: Isolation would be a plus, but isn't hugely significant. I'm not planning to use them at work or anything.
Preferred Type of Headphone: Balanced, I guess. My music covers a decently large range and gaming runs the gamut.
Past Headphones: My last headset was the TekNmotion PulseWave, which had an interesting gimmick that it vibrated. The sound and microphone were solid, but they could get kind of heavy and uncomfortable if I wore them for long enough. Otherwise I tend to use earbuds, currently JVC HA-FX1X. They have good sound for earbuds overall; surprisingly decent bass considering that they're earbuds.
Preferred Music: A combination of alt/rock/pop. Examples: Charli XCX, CHVRCHES, Flyleaf, Halestorm, Icon for Hire, Krewella, Lorde, Nemesea, Now Now, Paramore, Pillowfight, Purity Ring, Shiny Toy Guns, Sky Ferreira

I've looked at SteelSeries Siberia V2 and Turtle Beach Ear Force PX22. I haven't really developed any strong feelings one way or another, and the reviews are all even enough to not be of help.

edit: Ended up going with the Sentey Symph because reviews say that it's light with solid sound and a good build quality. It's pretty cheap, too, so if I don't like it it's no big issue.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 17, 2014

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I need a recommendation for a good pair of headphones. I'm upgrading on the headset I have now with the intent for good, immersive gaming sound. I tried out the Plantronics Gamecom 780 and really liked the immersive sound in Arma II, but found it was far too bulky, heavy and oddly shaped (why square headphones, do humans have square ears?) for my liking. I'm thinking that I may just try and get a good set of headphones, and have a separate microphone for cheap.

I'm hoping for around $100-$150 for the headset, and something cheap for the mike; I only really use it for Skype and gaming. I'd like the headphones with the surround sound similar, or better if possible, to the Gamecom 780 (had 7.1 surround sound from Dolby), and preferrably not too bulky or heavy on the head for long sessions. I've been recommended both Sennhauser headphones and SteelSeries headsets. Any suggestions?

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 17, 2014

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

I might be looking for some new headphones soon, it seems like my ATH-ANC7Bs are dying. I've been happy enough with them that I might get another pair if nobody has any suggestions.
Budget - up to $150 or so
Source - PC, I have a USB soundcard/amp thing
Isolation Requirements - Yes, preferably. I don't need the noise-canceling part of the 7B but I do have noisy neighbors so a little dampening would be nice
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumarual, the other full-sized types hurt my ears
Preferred Tonal Balance - no real preference
Past Headphones - ANC7B, liked them in general; Grado SR60s which sounded fantastic but were uncomfortable and the cables wore out

One special consideration is that I would strongly prefer headphones with removable cables. I'm tough on cables and my cats also sometimes chew on them, being able to spend $2 on a cable for the ANC7B instead of $50 or more for the Grados is big.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Midorka posted:

Custom Art Music One are $260 for customs. You need to get a custom molding, ~$50, but then you're good to go.

Been a long time coming but finally:

Haven't really even had time to evaluate them so far, hopefully I can get a peaceful day at work to keep them in for a long stretch.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Elysiume posted:

edit: Ended up going with the Sentey Symph because reviews say that it's light with solid sound and a good build quality. It's pretty cheap, too, so if I don't like it it's no big issue.

With that many buzzwards in the product listing how could you go wrong!?

mickyman171
Nov 6, 2012
Budget - Less than $80, I don't want to spend too much on something that might go missing, or could break.
Source - Going to be going into SamsungSIII, and other such devices.
Isolation Requirements - Isolation is preferable, and noise leakage is a problem too.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM need to be portable.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced would be best since I listen to a lot of different music
Past Headphones - Standard phones with my Samsung SII, I kept them because of how comfortable they are, and that any other phones I tried haven't seemed worth the money.
Preferred Music - All sorts of music, no real default style or type.

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013
Amazon has Audio Technia ATH-30 for 40 compared to sony mdrv6 for twice the price. I assume they're incredibly comparable? The Ath-30 for that much seems like a tough deal to beat

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

a cat youtube posted:

Amazon has Audio Technia ATH-30 for 40 compared to sony mdrv6 for twice the price. I assume they're incredibly comparable? The Ath-30 for that much seems like a tough deal to beat
I tried searching on Head-Fi for comparison reviews but most of them are comparing the V6 to the M50.

If you can swing the extra $40 for the V6, I think you'll be happier in the long run.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I listened to the M30 and they sound like garbage. I can't imagine that anyone who's heard a headphone worth buying would enjoy them.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you want to try your luck on the waiting list, the HD 598s are a lightning deal on Amazon today for $150

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042A8CW2

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I'm going to be getting rid of my Oppo PM-1 in order to fund a move. Before I list them on the SA Mart I figured I'd let you guys know. PM me or e-mail me at isprettyrandom @ gmail .com

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I'm having a bitch of a time finding headphones

Budget - $50-$100
Source - Galaxy Note 3
Isolation Requirements - Using them while I ride my motorcycle so I'd like them to be pretty isolated although I do like to hear a little outside noise for emergency vehicles and such
Preferred Type of Headphone - In Ear with a removable tip. No ipod type headphones. I need them to be soft or they hurt my ears. I need them to have a control for volume and skipping songs so I can adjust them without pulling my phone out of my pocket which is impossible while riding.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I listen to a lot of hiphop, dance, hard rock music so i do like bass but I'd like them to be able to do highs well as well.
Past Headphones - S4i's when I had an iphone but I can't find poo poo for my Note 3.

viewtyjoe
Jan 5, 2009
Sadly, my primary headphones of 8+ years have finally taken one too many drops and have given up the ghost. They were probably the best $20 I ever spent on something. I'd like to replace with something that is hopefully a slight improvement, and as tolerant of abuse as the old Sony has.

Budget - <$75, prefer <$50
Source - Computer
Isolation Requirements - None
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear, IEM/earbuds are out of the question, they don't stay in or irritate my ears horribly
Preferred Tonal Balance - Whatever the old phones had :v:
Past Headphones - These are replacing a 8-9 year old pair of Sony MDR V150 (or something really similar, the printed writing on the headphones has long been worn away) that pretty much have been my baseline for comparing headphones since. I've also owned a cheapish pair of Audio Technica headphones and was generally pleased.
Preferred Music - Pretty much anything, but primarily EDM and alt rock.
Additional Requirement - Must have at least ~2m of cable, my source is far enough away from where I sit that 1/1.2m cables, while functional, restrict my ability to move, and I cannot sit still to save my life.

Live a Little
May 7, 2008
I have a pair of Senn HD25s, that I spent too much money for 8 years or so ago. Since then I have replaced basically everything but the drivers and have managed to keep it going.

Just wondering however, since the prices of parts have not been cheap, if there has been sufficient advances in headphone technologies to justify upgrading to something else?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm wondering if anyone is selling an old set of headphones after they've upgraded. I was also thinking about making a "want to buy" post in SA-mart. My budget is in the sub-50 range (flexible), and I'm looking for over-ears, more info below.
Should I make an SA mart posting, too? Would that be obnoxious?

Of course, I'm equally open to suggestions for a new pair.
They'll be my "work" pair, as my old work pair kicked the bucket, and I have some IEM ones that just don't feel great to wear all day. So I'd like some over-ear types.

Budget - $15-60
Source - Computer, android phone, Sansa clip+ mp3 player
Isolation Requirements - Doesn't have to be super isolating, but my lab has a pretty loud background fan noise, so a little isolation would be nice. When I'm in the office instead of the lab, I'd also prefer to not have my music audible to others.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear, for all-day comfort
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'm not picky, but I prefer balanced. Not into :rock:mega bass:rock: or anything, but I'm not opposed either.
Past Headphones - I've never been a headphone geek or even much of an audiophile (though I respect people who are, otherwise I wouldn't be here), so this will mostly be about comfort. I had a pair of over-ears with no rigid connection between the two halves, and it was awesome because they had good sound for the price (since the maker didn't have to fit drivers into a tiny earbud) while still being easily transportable. I've messed around with other over-ears, some were fine and some bothered my ears after a while. Earbuds/IEMs are tricky for me, I think my ears are weird shaped, but I've found some IEMs I like and they are my "on the go" phones - this post is looking for some "at-work" phones, because I don't like having in-ears all day.
Preferred Music - Oh boy. If I had to name 6 most common genres off the top of my head, it'd be prog, blues, folk, trip hop, post-rock, and general "alt-rock" whatever that means.
Or, to name a dozen artists that represent a decent cross-section of what I listen to,
Beethoven
Brian Eno
Madredeus
Radiohead
King Crimson
Mike Oldfield
Grateful Dead
John Lee Hooker
Soft Machine
Sigur Ros
The Beatles
David Bowie

OP, I looked at your list on head-fi and it looks really helpful, but I'd love buying something secondhand if anyone on this thread is into it, and/or I'd appreciate specific recommendations.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 22, 2014

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

OptimusMatrix posted:

I'm having a bitch of a time finding headphones

Budget - $50-$100
Source - Galaxy Note 3
Isolation Requirements - Using them while I ride my motorcycle so I'd like them to be pretty isolated although I do like to hear a little outside noise for emergency vehicles and such
Preferred Type of Headphone - In Ear with a removable tip. No ipod type headphones. I need them to be soft or they hurt my ears. I need them to have a control for volume and skipping songs so I can adjust them without pulling my phone out of my pocket which is impossible while riding.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I listen to a lot of hiphop, dance, hard rock music so i do like bass but I'd like them to be able to do highs well as well.
Past Headphones - S4i's when I had an iphone but I can't find poo poo for my Note 3.

When I had my bike I used to get good mileage out of CX300's with Comply foam buds. The buds were what made it though as they're like foam earplugs that you compress before you put them in your ear, gives really good isolation.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Budget - $15-35
Source - Android Phone.
Isolation Requirements - Don't care.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM with sport clips or something similar.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I listen to lots of metal and techno, so good bass would be nice.
Past Headphones - Cheap rear end JVC or Sony earphones that work fine but break apart after a year or so.

Basically I just want something inexpensive and durable that I can use while running/weightlifting. Sound quality isn't really important but I would like it to be better than my phone's speaker.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Budget - $~250. Lower is fine
Source - PC with FiiO e7+e9.
Isolation Requirements - N/A
Preferred Type of Headphone - full sized open for sure, over ear preferred but on ear is fine too as long as they're comfortable
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not really sure but I had a pair of AKG K701s for a couple of years and had no complaints. My ear is probably not good enough to hear huge differences anyway. I listen to classical/jazz primarily and my SO likes pop.
Past Headphones - AKG K701s. Was very happy with them until they broke. In the interim I've tried Grado s80s and ATH-M50s but both proved uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser 558 or 598 but open to others. Comfort is most important. I wear these things for hours so I'm willing to spend extra if the gain is significant.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 26, 2014

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Letting go of my Oppo PM-1 for $850 shipped+PayPal fees. Priced to sell because I'm moving.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Virtue posted:

Budget - $~250. Lower is fine
Source - PC with FiiO e7+e9.
Isolation Requirements - N/A
Preferred Type of Headphone - full sized open for sure, over ear preferred but on ear is fine too as long as they're comfortable
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not really sure but I had a pair of AKG K701s for a couple of years and had no complaints. My ear is probably not good enough to hear huge differences anyway. I listen to classical/jazz primarily and my SO likes pop.
Past Headphones - AKG K701s. Was very happy with them until they broke. In the interim I've tried Grado s80s and ATH-M50s but both proved uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser 558 or 598 but open to others. Comfort is most important. I wear these things for hours so I'm willing to spend extra if the gain is significant.

That Sennheiser is good, here are a couple other people I know recommended around that price range:
Beyerdymanics DT880
ATH-A700X or ATH-A900X (huge step up in comfort from the ATH-M50s)
Phillips Fidelio X1
Sony MDR-MA900

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I've posted on here before but the amount of options overwhelmed my newb self. I have very little experience of decent headphones, and in all honesty I would probably be fine with entry-level cans, but I would also like to invest in something that will not feel like a compromise. These would be mainly for home use on the MacBook: music, occasional gaming and Skype. I prefer earbud styles for on the go – or I think I do, since I haven't really tried bigger headphones for that use...

Budget - Up to 300 GBP or so, but not looking to spend money for the sake of it.
Source - MacBook Pro, maybe occasionally an iPod or iPhone.
Isolation Requirements - Not a priority.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Whatever offers the best combo of comfort & sound quality.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I listen to a wide range of music, so maybe nothing too extreme?
Past Headphones - Sennheiser CX-300 II...

Here are some of the options on my shortlist so far:

Philips Fidelio X1 – Good reviews across the board, nice looks. Worried about them fitting my relatively large (but in no way freakish) noggin. Non-replaceable earcups also get mentioned as a con, but I cannot tell how much of a problem it would be for me.

Philips Fidelio L2 – These tickle my aesthetic fancy as well and would probably be a more versatile choice if I decided to use them on the go. Reviews are promising.

AEG K-550 – Love the looks, available pretty cheaply. Cons: Mixed reviews about sound quality, fixed cable.

AEG K-702 – Good reviews, good looks, but maybe these need a separate amp?

Sennheiser Momentum – These were pretty high on my list previously but the price seems steep, plus I don't know if they are ideal for home use.

Thanks in advance for any help!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No experience with the Phillips stuff, but I have the K550 and K702. Both of them are great headphones, but the NAD Viso HP50's I picked up to compliment them sound better and are more fun to my ears. The two AKG sets are extremely comfortable on my giant head though. I tend to grab one of those if I'm gaming, skyping, or watching a movie, and then the HP50's if I'm doing more serious music listening. My 702's had an adjuster piece break after a few years and it sounds like I'm not the only one who's had the issue. Thankfully my head is big enough that it needed to be at full extension anyway so it hasn't bothered me.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Oppo PM-1 up for sale here.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for a good mobile headphone in the $50 neighborhood. I'm willing to spend up to $100 for the right product. It must have a built in mic for phone calls, preferably with a phone button as well. I want noise isolation as this will be used on noisy busses trains and airplanes.
I'm currently using a pair of Koss PortaPro which I love, but they don't offer any isolation and can get somewhat uncomfortable. IEM or circumaural closed.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Bought a pair of Hifiman HE-400's and an EF5 amp.

I'm really liking the sound out of them, little heavier on the head than I'm used to though

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Raikyn posted:

I'm really liking the sound out of them, little heavier on the head than I'm used to though

Is that stuffed animal really your headphone holder?

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Raikyn posted:

Cool I've had my he400's paired with modi/magni for 9 months now and I really enjoy them.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Thinking of buying a Xonar Essence STX headphone amplifier sound card & Sennheiser HD 650 headphones as well as a ModMic for gaming, music, and eventually the Oculus Rift.

I can purchase all these for 500€. Thoughts?

Welmu fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 2, 2014

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Is that stuffed animal really your headphone holder?

Is that rhetorical?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Welmu posted:

Thinking of buying a Xonar Essence STX headphone amplifier sound card & Sennheiser HD 650 headphones as well as a ModMic for gaming, music, and eventually the Oculus Rift.

I can purchase all these for 500€. Thoughts?

Any reason why you want an internal sound card? The Xonar line isn't bad at all, it's just that I can't think of a reason to go internal over external unless you want to hook up speakers in a surround set-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Midorka posted:

Any reason why you want an internal sound card? The Xonar line isn't bad at all, it's just that I can't think of a reason to go internal over external unless you want to hook up speakers in a surround set-up.
I'm building a custom case for a watercooled Devil's Canyon rig and will be using headphones for the vast majority of the time. Also, that sound card is EMI shielded.

As for speakers, I'm grabbing Logitech Z623 2.1 speakers for whenever I want to play some music in the background whilst I putter around at home.