Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Pleasant Friend posted:

I had thought/assumed slaves built the wall like every other crazy piece of near impossible architecture in this show. But this thread makes me believe White Walkers built The Wall, which would make sense since they have an ice city thing going on.

Maybe they built the wall.... [shocking twist]to keep something OUT!![/shocking twist]

Westeros don't do slaves. Not even the Rape Islands. I believe the best explanation we have is "a wizard Stark did it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The wall is the work of Bran the Builder, the founder of House Stark (the eldest of all the great houses), who lived 8,000 years ago. Given that this was in the Age of Heroes, which is when the setting more resembled Dungeons & Dragons and people did cool hero stuff all the time, presumably he had a lot of interesting help (giants)/a wizard did it. This makes sense, since the wall is hundreds of miles long and hundreds of feet high, and features several serious fortifications in probably the shittiest, most difficult place in Westeros to build fortifications.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Elephanthead posted:

HBO is hoping magic somehow finishes the last book cause GRRM will never do it. Ah magic the savior of the lazy writer.

Pretty sure he's outsourcing it to the show writers.

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

ceci n'est pas un presentateur

Pleasant Friend posted:

I had thought/assumed slaves built the wall like every other crazy piece of near impossible architecture in this show. But this thread makes me believe White Walkers built The Wall, which would make sense since they have an ice city thing going on.

Maybe they built the wall.... [shocking twist]to keep something OUT!![/shocking twist]

There's lots of information on the building of the Wall (and other general background stuff) in the DVD extras that are all on youtube. I'm not sure if DVD extras count as non-show spoilers so I won't link to them but they're called the History and Lore of Westeros or something.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I'd say anything from the show is ok. Personally I like some of the book back stories but don't want to be spoiled so I don't google or check the other thread.

If it's on a DVD extra then I think we can be sure they won't spoil future plot lines.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I don't really care if the show passes up grrm and they have to write the rest. GRRM might gently caress up the end of the books, but I have confidence the show writers won't do the same to their work. Who knows, the seasons after they depart from the novels could be the best ones.

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

agarjogger posted:

I don't really care if the show passes up grrm and they have to write the rest. GRRM might gently caress up the end of the books, but I have confidence the show writers won't do the same to their work. Who knows, the seasons after they depart from the novels could be the best ones.

I'm curious why you have more faith in the show runners than GRRM?

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

That DICK! posted:

Manager Petey "The Brain" Baelish declares that the only way for Oberyn to win the Trial by Combat is to bodyslam the Mountain.

Oberyn has Clegane in the Cobra Clutch! The mountain is going to tap! The mountain is going to tap! But wait a gorgeous blonde is doing a sexy dance on the apron and distracting the Viper!

*The royal minstrels play Every Rose Has Its Thorn*

Its Loras Tyrell! Oberyn can't keep his eyes off the pillowbiter, and doesn't notice the mountain reaching for a steel chair...

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Pretty sure he's outsourcing it to the show writers.

A Dream of Spring won't come out until a year after the TV show ends and it will be a novelization of the last season by Alan Dean Foster.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 27, 2014

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

On the topic of back stories the show didn't get to, I am slowly making my way through the books and the things Lord Hoster Tully says on his deathbed really flesh out why Lysa is the way she is. I mean, drat. :stare:

It actually makes her a sympathetic character, instead of just a crazy woman. It was just on my mind since the thread keeps poppin up with "I wish I knew more of the backstory on X..."

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I believe that GRRM is trying to pull off the greatest marketing scheme ever. In 2 years when the show finally catches up with the book, the last episode is going to have an ad at the end. The ad is going to say the new book is available at 12:01 am.

Fans would go nuts and it would one of the best selling books of all times.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MeLKoR posted:

A Dream of Spring won't come out until a year after the TV show ends and it will be a novelization of the last season by Alan Dean Foster.

Brandon Sanderson will be taken hostage and tied to a bed until he writes the last book in GoT. He may or may not have his feet broken with a sledgehammer in order to convince him.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Brick Card posted:

I'm curious why you have more faith in the show runners than GRRM?

One is absolutely committed to finishing this series, in some fashion or another before they die, and the other is not.
I think GRRM and GOT have had basically the same amount of highs and lows as far as quality, I love them both. I just don't hate the idea of them becoming two different works of fiction with a common base at some point.

I also think the show runners have a confidence and momentum that grrm may have lost in the last twenty years.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 28, 2014

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

wisdomHNOX posted:

On the topic of back stories the show didn't get to, I am slowly making my way through the books and the things Lord Hoster Tully says on his deathbed really flesh out why Lysa is the way she is. I mean, drat. :stare:

It actually makes her a sympathetic character, instead of just a crazy woman. It was just on my mind since the thread keeps poppin up with "I wish I knew more of the backstory on X..."

PMed for spillage

Somebody stop me if this could spoil future events

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

TunaSled posted:

PMed for spillage

Somebody stop me if this could spoil future events

Naw you're fine, it's only backstory and doesn't affect anything going forward that I can think of.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Android Blues posted:

Because the show isn't the book and there's absolutely no indication anywhere that this is the case, and in fact there's a scene detailing how Stannis got a letter from Ned Stark telling him what was going on. The show is an adaptation based on the books, they're not identical in every respect and things that are true in one aren't necessarily the same in the other.

But just because there's no indication doesn't mean that we can't make the assumption that background for a character that was laid out in the books doesn't apply to the show. For example, the background for Lysa Tully's character mentioned earlier explaining why she's as nuts as she is can be assumed to be her background in the show as well, even though it was never alluded to in the show. As long as the show doesn't outright contradict background facts, I think it's fair to assume it un-shown scenes of events that took place before the show happened as they were described in the books.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Gianthogweed posted:

I think it's fair to assume it un-shown scenes of events that took place before the show happened as they were described in the books.

It's probably not a good precedent to take, because then you get people swearing Stannis knew about Joffrey's parentage before Ned ever sent the letter.

If something happened is described in the books and isn't shown on the show it means either

a) It'll be revealed in some form or another later on in the show
b) It can only be assumed it didn't take place in the show

Caveat: those histories and lore special features on the Blu-Rays seem to be pretty solid info for show canon.

Otherwise I'd caution to tread lightly when it comes to info and speculation for anything coming out of the books that isn't presented in the show. If show-only watchers are really curious, remember there's that list of SA users in the OP who are more than happy to answer questions in PMs. Speaking of, regulargonzalez would you like me to add your name to that list?

Ballz fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 28, 2014

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

If you haven't given up on trying to backseat mod this thread from the constant book talk I don't know what to tell you...

Just chill out and don't read here if you can't deal with it because as evidenced by every thread, it will happen. Reserve your tears for when an actual spoiler gets posted because while book talk is clearly against the rules they aren't doing anything about it. Unless a mod came into here banning everyone that said that Stannis thing and every other time that has happened then it'll stay the same and all you're doing is making this thread look more entertaining to troll/filling it with bullshit meta posts nobody wants to read.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Stannis is a butt, Davos would make a better king.

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

Harley C posted:

If you haven't given up on trying to backseat mod this thread from the constant book talk I don't know what to tell you...

Just chill out and don't read here if you can't deal with it because as evidenced by every thread, it will happen. Reserve your tears for when an actual spoiler gets posted because while book talk is clearly against the rules they aren't doing anything about it. Unless a mod came into here banning everyone that said that Stannis thing and every other time that has happened then it'll stay the same and all you're doing is making this thread look more entertaining to troll/filling it with bullshit meta posts nobody wants to read.

1. Ballz is the OP, this is his thread to "backseat mod". I'm pretty sure he isn't mashing the report button on everyone.

2. Shut up a lot

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

No More Heroes posted:

I just need some closure about Benjen Stark..

He's chilling in a cave some where smoking weed with Thoros of Myr, Blackfish Tully and all the other characters the show has completely forgotten about.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I recognize that most of it is intended to be harmless chat, but it's a slippery slope and makes it easier for someone to inadvertently reveal something that ends up really being a spoiler.

I'm just advising caution and if you're writing a sentence that begins with something like "But in A Clash of Kings..." to seriously reconsider posting it.

And with that, let's get back to show chat. I'll let Seth and Snoop get the conversation going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79DeJqyhwWs

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Ballz posted:

And with that, let's get back to show chat. I'll let Seth and Snoop get the conversation going:

This is beautiful thank you for this.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

No More Heroes posted:

Stannis is a butt, Davos would make a better king.

I'd love to see the sigil of House Seaworth duking it out with the others in the opening titles. The Lion, the Wolf, the Dragon... and the Onion.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Ballz posted:

I recognize that most of it is intended to be harmless chat, but it's a slippery slope and makes it easier for someone to inadvertently reveal something that ends up really being a spoiler.

I'm just advising caution and if you're writing a sentence that begins with something like "But in A Clash of Kings..." to seriously reconsider posting it.

You know, I heard they were doing casting for some black dude next season (who has a dick). Snoop should jump on that poo poo.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Salladhor Saan was just in like the last episode with all those whores in Braavos. At least give em credit for that.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

No More Heroes posted:

I just need some closure about Benjen Stark..

He's probably headed to Crasters to warm his hands off the fire.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

TunaSled posted:

1. Ballz is the OP, this is his thread to "backseat mod". I'm pretty sure he isn't mashing the report button on everyone.

2. Shut up a lot

OPs come and go, the show watchers cry about the book posters, and I keep on reading shitposting

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

Salladhor Saan was just in like the last episode with all those whores in Braavos. At least give em credit for that.

According to one source, groundbreaking television programme Game of Thrones will make another unprecedented move by featuring two black actors, both presumably playing black characters... let's give them credit for that.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Mescal posted:

According to one source, groundbreaking television programme Game of Thrones will make another unprecedented move by featuring two black actors, both presumably playing black characters... let's give them credit for that.

I want one of these black actors to play a Targaryen in the whitest of white-faces

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'd love to see the sigil of House Seaworth duking it out with the others in the opening titles. The Lion, the Wolf, the Dragon... and the Onion.

Onion is in a much better position to fight than the Wolf these days....

nopants
May 29, 2004

Bobo the Red posted:

I want one of these black actors to play a Targaryen in the whitest of white-faces

Onion is in a much better position to fight than the Wolf these days....

HBO is doing a Robert's Rebellion prequel with every character played by Tracy Morgan in white-face.

Mide
Jun 2, 2009
Snoop kept calling Littlefinger "Peta," and it made me constantly think of The Hunger Games.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

nopants posted:

HBO is doing a Robert's Rebellion prequel...

You've actually described a secret fantasy of mine.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

nopants posted:

...with every character played by Tracy Morgan in white-face.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
A Mel Brooks parody of GOT with Tracy Morgan playing every character is now my not secret fantasy.

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

ceci n'est pas un presentateur

MrSlam posted:

I was going to say it would be strange in a rebellion prequel having a short guy cast as a young Robert to keep it consistent with Mark Addy but then I remembered Daario.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
CGI suit of Stag armour voiced by Mark Addy?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
My god.

This thread needs a new episode.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Mescal posted:

Was that how it worked in the Targaryans' reign too?

Completely innocuous backstory that makes the Targaryen dynasty make some more sense: Targs choose males first, resorting only to females to rule if some freakish thing happens that all the king's brothers are dead and all his sons are dead and you can't (as they mention in the show, with Aemon taking the Black to escape being a contender for the crown) trace up the family tree to find a suitable male. It WAS, early on, simply primogeniture-- eldest gets the gold. The Dance of the Dragons that the Princess and the Queen novella (which takes place a good 200ish years before the show's time period and simply shows an awesome Targaryen civil war complete with loving dragonriders) is a chronicle of why that was changed. Since the Baratheon throne hasn't changed anything, Tommen (the youngest of Cersei's three children) is King in lieu of Myrcella, the secondborn. If Tommen died and Stannis weren't a rebel, he would likely be chosen as king. As it stands, if Tommen dies or abdicates, it's Myrcella's crown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

That DICK! posted:

Manager Petey "The Brain" Baelish declares that the only way for Oberyn to win the Trial by Combat is to bodyslam the Mountain.

"Did you know that MY CLIENT Oberrrrrryyn MarTELL defeated the MOUNTAIN's ssssstreak at King's LANDING?" - Tyrion E. Dangerously

• Locked thread