Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
bsd are you in the most literal possible sense a greybeard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

not yet

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there are still several linux magazines published in tyool 2014

because linux users will actually pay money for poo poo to help them do their jobs better

didn't read this entire thread. are these magazines just pages and pages of "use the search noob, this has already been answered"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

killhamster posted:

didn't read this entire thread. are these magazines just pages and pages of "use the search noob, this has already been answered"

they are mostly linux kernel mailing list drama

people magazine, for beards
beards magazine?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so you consider it a virtue that brew can't manage system packages or patchsets? lol

yeah b/c apple does a better job than u or i can + mac app store infrastructure handles system updates

i would rather carve out my little dev env and then use vagrant/chef/puppet/ps DSC to set up a server with what i need tyvm

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

greybeard implies some sort of competence cloaked in knowing condescension

bsd displays neither

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
That's not true. There's certainly a lot of condescension from Mr. b.s.d.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

That's not true. There's certainly a lot of condescension from Mr. b.s.d.

it was more the "knowing" part

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i like to use gnome 3, a lot.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Smythe posted:

i like to use gnome 3, a lot.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

beards magazine?

sounds smexy

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
yay wine 1.7.20 is delayed to the 13th.. Friday. huge code merge, hopefully fri 13th curse doesn't strike.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

greybeard implies some sort of competence cloaked in knowing condescension

bsd displays neither

a broader survey of yospos might disagree. but the only people who click on "year of linux on the desktop" are osx fanboys who want to jerk around the yos' last handful of linux users

yeah i just pulled a nixon w/ silent majority, deal with it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
puppetmaster defense is on deck, watch for me to ardently defend osx's blisteringly awful 80s architecture

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
just a reminder quartz x11 support is so lovely, we use custom wrappers to Quartz. x11.app terrible FYI, xquartz is passable.

gregday
May 23, 2003

bsd is for those who love unix

linux us for those who hate microsoft

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a broader survey of yospos might disagree. but the only people who click on "year of linux on the desktop" are osx fanboys who want to jerk around the yos' last handful of linux users

yeah i just pulled a nixon w/ silent majority, deal with it

I have never used OS X in my life.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

gregday posted:

bsd is for those who love unix

linux us for those who hate microsoftthemselves

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

is this a good time to say stfu

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

theadder posted:

is this a good time to say stfu

Any time is a good time to say STFU.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
X is going to be replaced by Wayland in Q3 2014.

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
i'm really bummed to keep hearing how bad X11.app is, it breaks my heart to think that i'll miss out on all those killer apps such as

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

penus de milo posted:

i'm really bummed to keep hearing how bad X11.app is, it breaks my heart to think that i'll miss out on all those killer apps such as

xeyes

or

take your pick of whatever $280,000 a seat license automotive engineering specialty 3d cad software

sports
Sep 1, 2012
isn't xquartz ok?

x has all the good TeX editors i thought

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the bsds are very behind the times when it comes to technology needed to support a desktop stack that still integrates nicely with a unix platform (as opposed to air-dropping some alien skyscraper into the middle of a pristine landscape like osx did with quartz and all their non-FHS objective-C plist poo poo).

they're not even particularly unified seeing as the bsd landscape is balkanised all to hell. openbsd has an admirable security record going for them and that's about it

but i guess that's what happens when you spend more time wishing you could get plowed from behind by apple and other randian captains of industry and talking about how the gpl = communism than delivering decent engineering solutions

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

I have the opposite experience on Windows. Skype is constantly blinking at me and I can never get the little "1" indicator to go away. Steam always has some form of weird progress bar overlay in the icon on W7, and I can't ever figure out how to get it to just go back to a normal icon.

:downs:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

theadder posted:

the prince of posix

modsplease

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i have a thinkpad with an NVidia Quadro K2000M and intel integrated graphics. under windows the laptop uses NVidia Optimus to switch between video cards based on demand (e.g. run games with nvidia and firefox with intel)

does linux support that yet? i know about bumblebee but the last time i tried to install it i had to compile stuff and download stuff and didn't know wtf was going on basically it didn't work

disabling either intel or nvidia is not an option: i need intel for low power consumption and nvidia for the vga port

i used bumblebee at one point but it mostly didnt seem to work

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sniep posted:

xeyes

or

take your pick of whatever $280,000 a seat license automotive engineering specialty 3d cad software

very much this, for whatever reason the more you pay for your software the worse the ux gets. super high end cad software is nightmarishly cruel to users

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Bloody posted:

very much this, for whatever reason the more you pay for your software the worse the ux gets. super high end cad software is nightmarishly cruel to users

funny thing about it is you really can do amazing poo poo through X windows its just that nobody does

im talking directly to you whoever wrote that MUX management software.. fujitsu? i think it was a flashwave or something that had some X management software and it was pretty gross... maybe it wasnt i cant remember the specific app. lucent too and name X

but yeah those auto cad programs were insane, and functional as hell, buggy as hell, and expensive as hell. but at least they were pretty

e: i'm talking 1999/2000 era here

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

openbsd has an admirable security record going for them and that's about it

openbsd has a neat record but they are terribly out of date. they deny that modern (i.e. 1990s) security technology has any merit. "just fix the bugs!!!!!"

lol @ not having a mac framework in tyool 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

it's because the more expensive the package, the less likely it is that purchasers are actual users

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mr Dog posted:

the bsds are very behind the times when it comes to technology needed to support a desktop stack that still integrates nicely with a unix platform (as opposed to air-dropping some alien skyscraper into the middle of a pristine landscape like osx did with quartz and all their non-FHS objective-C plist poo poo).

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol @ not having a mac in tyool 2014

agreed

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jun 6, 2014

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Wats ur night job ?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
X11 is piss
brew is nice
bsd is a garbage clown poster who holds on to old lovely standards like the Debian processes and X11 because if they become irrelevant than so does he

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Sassafras posted:

I'm gonna de-lurk long enough to say that as another full time Linux guy, after the GNOME 3 disaster I finally got suckered into buying Apple due to the "OSX, it's still unix but a decent desktop environment" myth. Decent hardware, but every point release is a driver crapshoot and of course I can't go in and fix them myself. I'm in Linux VMs if I want to do anything more complicated than surf the web or watch movies.

While I'm at it... There are hundreds of Linux-using developers at my day job and we pick our own environments. There's only *one* guy I've ever seen/heard of running GNOME 3 long term, but he also only graduated a year or two ago and is probably too dumb to know any better.

gnome 3 is great hope this helps

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
Gnome 3 owns, Unity is like a poo poo version of Gnome 3, and everything else is literally stone age idiot garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

Fib posted:

stone age idiot garbage

you can just say "linux"