Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Mars4523 posted:

Waldo Butters is actually a few years older than Murphy is. Plus he's not particularly fit, and he's completely untrained in any sword styles. Shiro remained a threat to Denarians even in his old age due to his utterly ridiculous fitness and his even more ridiculous mastery of his blade. Butters has none of that.

Here's the thing: the only thing that the Swords do are even the playing field. At which point you're not fighting a terrifyingly freakish demon spawn from hell, but only an exceptionally skilled warrior with millennia of experience. The Sword doesn't teach you to fight well, you need to know how to fight already.

Yeah, sure, but Butters has a loving Lightsaber. If the swords power is partly derived from belief of the user like I suspect, then Butter's sword will do everything a lightsaber can do, including cutting through mundane swords like butter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Murphy speculation (Spoilered for last book stuff):

Murphy is getting a coin.

I know, but hear me out.

She has been described more than once as "fallen" or a "fallen woman." She was Lasciel in Harry's creepy sex dream, and "People do crazy things for love. Crazy, crazy things."

Remember, when Harry needed the extra oomph to save Maggie, the Winter Mantle was the lesser of three or four evils, including Kemmler's Darkhallow and picking up a Coin.

Even if she'd never gotten hurt, Murphy is 40 years old at least (she'd be closer to 50 but I'll close my eyes and pretend she was the world's youngest police LT ever when we met her 16-17 years ago.) Point is, especially now that she's been hurt, she needs a fairly substantial equalizer to stay in the game. I don't think the Swords provide that kind of physical oomph.

In any case, I don't think Butcher is unaware of any of this, I don't think he's going to sideline his favorite rear end-kicker, and he's a fan of fall and redemption stories, so yeah, he's setting Good People up for a Fall...

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Pattern:
Yeah, I noticed that. I was disappointed when it turned out that Mavra wasn't the reason behind the disappearing livestock, after all. Though I guess as a Black Court Vampire, she's probably not going to sign up for getting the Holy Grail.

Murphy:
Thinking more about it, I am pretty happy with how Murphy turned out. The problem with Murphy is that her previous role is rapidly becoming irrelevant. Her usefulness as an interface with the Chicago PD is basically non-existant now, and, as a vanilla mortal, she's utterly outclassed as a combatant now. The only real way for her to transcend this is with one of the Swords, because, of all the things we've seen in the books so far, the Swords and the Knight mantles are the only things that can bump a mortal up a power level without having to take a walk on the dark side, and the mantles are already claimed.

So that just leaves the Swords. The problem with them is that Murphy pretty clearly is not cut out to be a Knight. Oh, sure. She can take a Sword up just fine for something like Chichen Itza. That's a straight up no-questions-no-quarter fight against a clear and obvious evil. She's got that poo poo on lockdown. The problem is that that Knights exist to save the Denarians. Everything else they get involved in is kind of a side job. And she's not cut out for that poo poo at all. And she knows it. There's a reason she didn't take up the Sword as a Knight; she did not feel herself capable of wielding it. When she sets out on this adventure in Skin Game, her lack of faith drives her to bring the Sword of Faith and it is broken as a consequence.

And so Murphy pretty much had to take a step back, somehow. She's a vanilla mortal and the oldest 'fighter' by a decade or so. Yeah, Shiro was a badass in his old age, but Shiro was also emotionally capable of wielding one of the Swords. Murphy isn't, and Dresden isn't fighting on a power level that lets her be relevant without one. She knows it, too. When Dresden asked her to go with him in Skin Game, her first question is basically "Shouldn't you take Thomas? He can actually fight."

This is a good way of stepping her back. She takes up a Sword and gets it broken, proving that she was right to avoid doing it all those years. She suffers a debilitating physical injury, which provides a good reason for putting her on the disabled list for a while. Having to adapt to flying a desk for a bit puts her in a better place to grow out of being the Combat Chick, which is all she's ever been.

Ascher:
The rape thing didn't really bother me because it wasn't the source of her trauma/hosed-up-ness. Being hunted for breaking the Laws of Magic in self-defense was the source of her problems. The 'attempted rape' thing just set up a simple one-line reason for her to justifiably kill somebody with magic. If a dude jumped out of an alley with a knife and demanded her wallet, incinerating him is a little harder to justify and a lot less sympathetic. And being hunted for breaking the Laws isn't particularly sexist or anything; Harry would have been killed for the same reason had Ebenezer not been his secret grandpa. Yeah, using rape might have been a bit crude and it's a subject you always need to consider carefully, but I'm okay with this use.

As for how she's constantly showing off the goods for Harry? Meh, she's the host of a Fallen angel-temptress that Harry turned down; of course she's going to give him a show.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Yeah but here's the thing Deidre said "We are fighting to save the world", referring to her and Nic. What if she was telling the truth? Murphy taking up the coin she had totally seems like a possibility. Actually now that I say that I feel about 90% certain that Murphy is going to take up Lasciel's coin. She can spend a couple books acting as organizer and kind of a surrogate mother Harry's daughters, and then when she needs to step up she takes up Lasciel's coin and becomes part of the actual mother to one of them.

Piell fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 28, 2014

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I don't think Murphy would take up Lasciel's coin; she's not the temptress type at all. If she takes up a coin we already know about, I think it will be Deirdre's.

Foolie
Dec 28, 2013
I am a little sad that the only lines that Harry's brainchild got were "Oh. Hi. Good." After all the buildup and reveal, I think I was more interested in that than most of the rest of the books ending.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Side effect of not having a job meant that I could finish the book in a day. Time to catch up on thread! Loved seeing Subconscious Harry again and I'm worried about Bob's increasingly high profile

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

navyjack posted:

Murphy is getting a coin.

drat, that makes a lot of sense. I'd be down for that, 100%. Hell, given that it's The Dresden Files, I wonder if, given a good enough cause, she could have Lasciel's coin and Amoracchius simultaneously. I mean, not as a lasting thing, but now I'm imagining everyone panicking because some Big Bad is about to eat Maggie and Dresden (followed shortly after by the world) and Murph-Lasciel bursts in with the Sword of Love and kicks its rear end.

Or whichever Denarian, I actually agree that Lasciel is pretty unlikely at this point.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 28, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xtanstic posted:

Side effect of not having a job meant that I could finish the book in a day. Time to catch up on thread! Loved seeing Subconscious Harry again and I'm worried about Bob's increasingly high profile

I'm really really waiting for the reveal that Bob is Necro-Evil Bob and the actual one is locked up or sealed away or something.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Mars4523 posted:

you need to know how to fight already.

I'm pretty sure the relevant fighting style isn't something you can really practice in this case.

I mean, nic's reaction to the sword chopping his sword in half is pretty much every swordfighter's reaction. If the only thing that can block a lightsaber is a lightsaber, and you don't have a lightsaber, there isn't much 'parry in four' is going to do for you other than get your sword chopped off.

Anias fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 28, 2014

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I'm really really waiting for the reveal that Bob is Necro-Evil Bob and the actual one is locked up or sealed away or something.

This would be a really neat twist if it weren't so unlikely and probably debunked by interactions with Harry in Cold Days.

Finished skimming thread

I share someone's worry that Harry's spirit kid will shack up with Bob :ohdear:. He hasn't named her yet, has he? I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of interaction with the two. It took him three friggin' books until he had a conversation with Maggie. It was a nice curveball but I'm sad Lash is gone

Hades being a bro was rad as hell. I'd love to see a scene with him, Harry and Rashid together. Also Mouse getting along with Spot.

I would be happy to see Murphy transition into an Oracle-type character.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Something I haven't seen a lot of people bring up...more weight is given to the Harry has some kind of Naming power theory.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

jivjov posted:

Something I haven't seen a lot of people bring up...more weight is given to the Harry has some kind of Naming power theory.

Yeah like tons. It was pretty much confirmed when Uriel freaked out in Ghost Story What's the list at now?

Bob
Lash
Alfred Demonreach
Mr. Sunshine
Erl
Mouse?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xtanstic posted:

Yeah like tons. It was pretty much confirmed when Uriel freaked out in Ghost Story What's the list at now?

Bob
Lash
Alfred Demonreach
Mr. Sunshine
Erl
Mouse?

Ivy.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

jivjov posted:

It's not a specific naming power, it's just that names have power, like in general. Dresden details why it's important pretty clearly during the Octokong bit. Giving something a name puts it in a specific box that let's you manage how and what you think about it. How and what you think about something can have a pretty literal impact on metaphysics in the Dresden'verse.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Arcsech posted:

Edit: Regarding Butters being a serious physical threat, wasn't it stated that Shiro basically had no right to be a serious threat at his age? That doesn't seem to really matter to the swords, beyond a basic level of training. And hey: Characters change. I'd rather see changes that seem kind of silly on the face of it than characters that stay exactly the same forever.

I don't see why people keep on saying this. Yes he was unfit books and books ago. Since then a lot of time has passed and a lot of poo poo has happened, including him spending the last few years Batmanning it with Bob while Dresden was "dead". Sure he might not be Harry/Murphy/Michael levels of fitness, but for him to survive what he has, he'd be getting bloody close to it - especially considering he's dating a werewolf and they're not exactly fitness slouches either.

On the fighting ability, sure I can see that, but thats the point of Bob, his utility belt (or vest as the case may be) and a bloody lightsaber. Combine them with his intelligence and ingenuity and he's got the goods.

That being said, if Jim doesn't do a Butters side story set before Skin Game in the Ghost Story/Cold Days period, I'll be sorely disappointed.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

As has been pointed out more than once, both inside the books and out, combat in this setting isn't about how much you can bench press. Nearly anyone, no matter how potent, can be dropped by a well aimed blow. Timing, wits and awareness are vastly more useful than raw power. Butters has plenty of what it takes to be a player provided he takes things seriously.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I don't think Dresden has a specific Naming power. I think that Dresden is the only one careless/reckless/ballsy/stupid enough to go around Naming things.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm still digesting Skin Game (and will probably reread it in a couple days) but my initial impression is that it's better than Cold Days, probably not quite as good as the best of the series (but in the upper tier), and I was left completely (well, mostly) satisfied by it. Some disorganized thoughts:

*Butters may not (yet) be a massive physical threat, but he was already a mortal who has basically reverse-engineered magic and has been fighting monsters with that knowledge and inventiveness (and Bob) for years now. I think he's probably going to be a phenomenal Knight. I think he's gonna be Magic Iron Man.

*I'm still not sure what it all means, but I cannot shake the idea that getting Deirdre into the Underworld wasn't just a means to get Nicodemus into the Vault, but may have been the entire point of the exercise. Nicodemus was certainly treating it as more than just a sacrifice (and as someone said earlier, if he just needed someone to die to get past the Gate of Blood, he had plenty of other options). More than that, though, Hades' story about Persephone, how a compromise involving her ended up being dissatisfying to everyone, and how Hecate (an aspect, we now know, of the Faerie Queens) essentially ran a con to keep everyone else away while they were getting married felt a lot more significant than the 'lol mothers-in-law' joke it was presented as being. While Nicodemus clearly suffered a major defeat in the end, I'm wondering if it's quite as major as everyone is assuming.

*The artifacts are weapons, specifically weapons to be used in the fight against Outsiders, which is a fight that we can reasonably assume that Nicodemus is very interested in winning. Maybe what Nicodemus was after in the Grail and whatever else he was after (almost certainly that dagger, yeah) had, for once, nothing to do with loving over the world. Then again, I have a feeling that the various forces who oppose the Outsiders being at odds with each other (Mab, Harry, Nicodemus being the main players there) is going to end up as a significant plot point before the end anyway.

*I think we're seeing Murphy's role change, as we have over the past few books, but I do not for a second believe that she's going to be 'sidelined' or 'relegated to the Supportive Girlfriend role' or whatever. Everything that happened felt very consistent with her character as it has been developed; she's always been someone who (much like Harry) didn't like compromising her principles, but (much like Harry) would do it to protect people and (much like Harry) is willing and able to pay a personal price for that privilege. Yes, she got outmaneuvered (much like Harry) by one of the most dangerous and evil beings in Creation, but she also very nearly fought him to a standstill (which, again, is as much as Harry has ever accomplished).

Far from being sidelined, I think we're going to see Murphy take on more of a leadership role in things from here on out. She's already in that role, effectively; she's been running the Justice League of Chicago while Harry was busy being dead/in self-imposed exile. She doesn't need to be a physical threat to be a tactical one; maybe her role isn't to be a Knight but to be a General. If nothing else, she's clearly one of Jim Butcher's favorite characters (she is also one of mine, and I'm aware that's an unpopular view around these parts) so there's no way in hell her story's done yet, and no way she's going to be shuffled off into obscurity.

*It makes sense to me that the Winter Knight's mantle wouldn't be an inexhaustible font of power (though I think it's more than just a psychological trick to get the Knight to ignore his physical limits). The entire point of the Winter and Summer Knights is that they're mortal, remember; they're the only agents of the Queens who can function in the mortal world comparatively free of constraint. So there's got to be some limit to the amount of Winter or Summer power they can take on before they start being bound by the limitations of that power, and thus effectively useless as Knights.

*I cannot help but wonder if Goodman Grey actually is Kincaid, rather than just being a very similar character. I doubt it, but I could see it, too.

*On the whole, I liked the book, I loved the reveal of who the Parasite actually is (and would have loved to see much, much more of her), and am really happy we've had some forward movement on a number of plots. I agree, Hannah Ascher, Rape Avenger, was lazy in a particularly unfortunate way (though it's the sort of narrative shorthand that Butcher loves, so probably the result of carelessness rather than something darker) and I agree that it would be nice to have a woman show up sometime that Harry didn't spend like 90 percent of the book lusting after, but at least there were no awkward out-of-place conversations about the politics of gay marriage this time around. I loved seeing Anna Valmont show up again, and I loved that her response to the most traumatic experience of her life was 'learn everything she can about the supernatural so she's never put in that position again'. I wish we'd gotten more about Nemesis.

*And one last unspoiley thought: I want the next book right now.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

docbeard posted:

*I cannot help but wonder if Goodman Grey actually is Kincaid, rather than just being a very similar character. I doubt it, but I could see it, too.

Don't see how it's possible. We've seen Kincaid laid out by pretty conventional amounts of damage. He can take a beating, but he stays beat for a while after. Grey on the other hand was recovering from lethal gunshots in mere moments.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Don't see how it's possible. We've seen Kincaid laid out by pretty conventional amounts of damage. He can take a beating, but he stays beat for a while after. Grey on the other hand was recovering from lethal gunshots in mere moments.

Grey has enough of a different personality from Kincaid too, I think. Grey doesn't seem to be as much of an unneccesarily antagonistic dick as Kincaid is, who somehow tries to turn every conversation into a death threat to posture about how badass he is. While Grey seemed similar at first, it turns out most of the first scene with him was pre-planned ahead of time by Harry, and for most of the rest of the book, despite being an immortal badass probably capable of standing toe to toe with any of the rest of the team (barring Bigfoot), he ends up being suprisingly not unfriendly or unreasonable, despite it not being at all required by his contract. Then the whole deal with asking only a dollar as payment at the end, which isn't very Kincaid at all and is the closest possible equivalent of giving someone a gift with no expectation of something in return for all those magical creatures who make debts a big deal.

Sure, they only briefly went into his character, but I'd be interested in seeing more about the maybe-not-evil-after-all Naagloshi. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he showed up again - the whole idea of what's supposed to be a creature supposedly born inherently evil being able to decide to not be ties up pretty well with the themes of the series.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 28, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Please remember to use spoiler tags, folks. I know it seems crazy that anyone reading this thread right now hasn't read the new book but someone might come info the thread to ask if it's out yet or something.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I was thinking about Murphy becoming a valkyrie after a heroic sacrifice or something and being sent on a prolonged mission to assist Harry as a favour from Odin to completely bypass the whole mortal thing without making her a Knight or a Denarian or a vampire or whatever, but that might be too close to what happened to Susan.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The problem with Murphy is Butcher has kinda written himself into a corner with her. The more powerful everything gets the less able Murphy is to keep up. Her character arc kinda peaked in the post-Changes short story and there aren't many places for her to go from here; giving her a Sword was too obvious and almost anything else would involve her going evil given the strictures of Butcher's world. .

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The problem with Murphy is Butcher has kinda written himself into a corner with her. The more powerful everything gets the less able Murphy is to keep up. Her character arc kinda peaked in the post-Changes short story and there aren't many places for her to go from here; giving her a Sword was too obvious and almost anything else would involve her going evil given the strictures of Butcher's world. .

... Valkyrie?

Donar Vadderung does have a vested interest in Harry remaining alive, and Murphy certainly is a suitable candidate.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is one reason why I think we're going to see her take on more of a leadership role in days to come. Particularly in a book where, the more I think of it, the central theme was that of people either not being what they seem or becoming something new, the idea that Murphy would become (or continue to be) formidable in a way that has nothing to do with physical power makes perfect sense to me.

Though I kind of like the Valkyrie idea, too.

PreacherTom
Oct 7, 2003

I want to prank them for hours in my basement...

docbeard posted:

Skippy McPants posted:

Plus, given the times that Ivy has been in significant danger when Kincaid's been around, it would be amazingly out of character for him to NOT open every single can of whoop-rear end that he had at his disposal.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
Murphy:

Murphy is fine where she is. I like the developments for her because she's a mirror of Harry's heart at war with itself. She does not have to become a super hero now to remain relevant. Harry needs human interaction and introspection to ground him, which Michael and Murphy provided. Michael interacts with Harry as a father and a friend, and I don't think it would suit his character for Michael to leave his wife so Harry can also have a lover's perspective from him. Who else is around for Harry to get that perspective from? Butters? Two awkward nerds would not do that dynamic so well. Molly? Maybe, but I like Harry having to deal with her being grown up and out from under his wing, and his experiences with her will undoubtedly color what he does with Maggie.

I still think Murphy going to end up with a sword. Michael is the one Knight shown to have a family. I think Harry and Murphy are about to make a family unit of their own and that will be part of what pushes her towards taking up Amoracchius. However, I'm not going to drop the series if she does not. If she's only there to ground Harry and keep human perspective, that's fine because it's more important than having action scenes. The emotional attachment to the characters is what elevates the Dresden Files above other urban fantasy, not progressive ideas about who gets to win a fight. Murphy's archetype might be cliche, but she's well-written.

Butters:
Butters is a great choice for Fidelacchius. He's the only one of Harry's crew who decided he could understand magic even though he wasn't born a practitioner. He most readily believed in Harry when he came in contact with his ghost. Faith suits him.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Someone said earlier of the Swords that "all they do is level the playing field" (emphasis mine). That's probably true.

For Michael's level of ability, "levelling the playing field" might mean that the Sword is a little sharper, or a little better balanced than it really should be. For Butters, it turns into a lightsabre and cuts Nic's sword in half, terrifying him.

Playing field: levelled.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Whoever keeps talking about Murphy possibly taking up Lasciel's coin. Did you not read the book?

Lasciel and Ursiel's coins are both stuck in Hades's Underworld. There is no way for them to come back unless Hades sends them back.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Not to mention Butters has a werewolf girlfriend and no kids to look after so why wouldn't Andi go off on missions with him? If she's going to get kidnapped anyway it might as well be helping Butters out. (by which I mean I really really hope she starts actually doing stuff that isn't being in danger)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Wade Wilson posted:

Whoever keeps talking about Murphy possibly taking up Lasciel's coin. Did you not read the book?

Lasciel and Ursiel's coins are both stuck in Hades's Underworld. There is no way for them to come back unless Hades sends them back.

Yes, and everyone knows that Hades has totally shown himself to be opposed to Harry and the Winter Court, 100%

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Wade Wilson posted:

But it also talks about how the coins are meant to be in circulation. I'd be shocked if those coins never show up again. I'd assume that the Knights/the Church have done lots of things with the coins that they shouldn't have been able to come back from. This one might take a while but I'm betting they'll be back by the finale.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wade Wilson posted:

Or if, for example, someone breaks into the Underworld to steal the coins back. Which Hades has made perfectly clear that he's content to allow to happen if someone's capable of getting into his Vault in the first place.

CPFinnit
Jun 5, 2008
Did anyone catch Maggie calling herself a Dinosaur Cowgirl? Just like her old man.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Enjoyable book, but it honestly wasn't anything special. Some awesome moments, a tearjerker or two but that's pretty much standard in a Dresden book.t

I honestly think that Butcher started messing up his worldbuilding after ghost story. Being winter knight has always been presented as a Big Deal, Mab's hand in the mortal realm, etc etc. And he went on to describe the Mantle as simply erasing natural limitations plus some affinity in Ice spells? ? That's pretty weak and retconed from what we knew about it. But this is a minor point.

I'm still pretty pissed with how he set up the Courts, it's both strange and bland. On one hand you have the courts very closely tied with Winter/Summer as forces of nature, and on the other hand you have Winter defending reality , Summer keeping Winter honest and Queens = former humans. Huh? It's just so arbitrary, I'd have thought that God's bunch or powers on the same thematic axis as them would have the job of safeguarding God's Creation. And why did he do this ? Keep them relevant? Because he loves writing Mab? I have no idea. :P

And the Harry as Knight relationship with his queens is straining my suspension of disbelief. Molly there is most likely a cop-out: "How can Harry get out of the deal?".

I think this series could use a little pov change for a book or three, and a good point for that would've been Ghost Story.
Add some years and follow Maggie Dresden & Mouse + assorted characters as she is trying to get dear old dad off the Winter Knight gig as the world is slowly going to poo poo. Bonus points for seeing how utterly terrifying Harry can be from another perspective and not having to explain the whole cosmology right away. Eh, didn't happen. :(

/rant

Still going to buy the next book.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

docbeard posted:

Or if, for example, someone breaks into the Underworld to steal the coins back. Which Hades has made perfectly clear that he's content to allow to happen if someone's capable of getting into his Vault in the first place.

Yeah, but who is going to take that on? Marcone is very likely going to rework the Vault so it will no longer be a good Way point to that spot, at the very least, since it was intentionally set up that way to lure Nicodemus there. Nicodemus just had his poo poo royally kicked in per the exposition in the Mab/Marcone/Dresden/Molly meeting and lost a hell of a lot of influence in the Community. Nobody will work with him to pull what is essentially the same heist again.

Short of some epic Satan appearance to reclaim the coins, it just isn't going to happen.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wade Wilson posted:

Yeah, but who is going to take that on? Marcone is very likely going to rework the Vault so it will no longer be a good Way point to that spot, at the very least, since it was intentionally set up that way to lure Nicodemus there. Nicodemus just had his poo poo royally kicked in per the exposition in the Mab/Marcone/Dresden/Molly meeting and lost a hell of a lot of influence in the Community. Nobody will work with him to pull what is essentially the same heist again.

Short of some epic Satan appearance to reclaim the coins, it just isn't going to happen.

One possibility immediately springs to mind. It wouldn't be the first time that Nemesis/The Black Council, has led a concerted attack on a hardened position in the Nevernever. Getting more of the Fallen under their thumb might be worth it to them, to say nothing of securing whatever else down there might be used against them..

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Wade Wilson posted:

If you don't think there's going to be a showdown with all thirty Denarians manifest and lined up on one side or another (or both) for the end I don't know what to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...

Kellanved posted:

I honestly think that Butcher started messing up his worldbuilding after ghost story. Being winter knight has always been presented as a Big Deal, Mab's hand in the mortal realm, etc etc. And he went on to describe the Mantle as simply erasing natural limitations plus some affinity in Ice spells? ? That's pretty weak and retconed from what we knew about it. But this is a minor point.

Except that that was just Butters and Murph speculating. Yeah, it was speculation that made sense to Harry, but there's no way of actually knowing if it was correct speculation.