Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Yeah even as maroon eyed as I am I was mystified by the sheer levels of Qld favouring ineptitude on show in the last few minutes. Seemed like a late shot on Slater before the idiocy with Hodges but it wasn't called and should have bee a knock on. Hopefully either DCE learns to play or we replace him with someone who can. Also find some big blokes up front who aren't afraid of running at people. I pine fore the days of Webcke and Petero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Byolante posted:

Yeah even as maroon eyed as I am I was mystified by the sheer levels of Qld favouring ineptitude on show in the last few minutes. Seemed like a late shot on Slater before the idiocy with Hodges but it wasn't called and should have bee a knock on. Hopefully either DCE learns to play or we replace him with someone who can. Also find some big blokes up front who aren't afraid of running at people. I pine fore the days of Webcke and Petero.
I agree.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
We have a Jacob Lillyman whom you might find to your liking.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Jono C posted:

Initially I thought Lillyman, but I think Brenton Lawrence is the man for the job. Papalii can gently caress off back to reserve grade.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

bowmore posted:

I need some rejuvenating wings

After having more wings than I have fingers the idea of eating one more is enough to shoot myself.

Very loving pumped, but there is still half the work to go.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jono C posted:

I thought he should have been picked tbh

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

After having more wings than I have fingers the idea of eating one more is enough to shoot myself.

Very loving pumped, but there is still half the work to go.
I have no wings and I am sad

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Did Hodkinson do anything at all in the game?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Saul Goode posted:

Did Hodkinson do anything at all in the game?
He was solid. Which is the anti-Pearce.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
:suspense: That game was loving brutal and awesome despite the ref going full retard at the end. I can't believe we finally won in Queensland!

I'm really looking forward to game 2, it'll be interesting to see if QLD make any changes to their squad of old fogeys.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

bowmore posted:

ring gids

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

Went to the wrong bar. Any decent bar should be selling wings at 50 cents each for sporting events.

It will be interesting how the teams line up next time, as there seemed to be plenty of injuries and suspensions to go around. Can't believe the boys actually kept the line intact at the end

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Smorgasbord posted:

Initially I thought Lillyman, but I think Brenton Lawrence is the man for the job. Papalii can gently caress off back to reserve grade.

DCE's going to be starting and Papalii should be dropped. There's going to be enough room for two props on the bench. Guerra and Teo both did well and deserve to keep their spots. I'm still not sure about McQueen, Guerra starting over him could work.

Aurora-Capitah
Apr 29, 2014

by XyloJW
Those last three penalties were unbelievable. Normally I think hayne does an OK job and refs make mistakes but that was just... bizarre.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

We were all calling for NSW to give up a cynical penalty in the last minute just to limit the maroons to one play, but some of the calls near the end were, to put it mildly, mind boggling.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
great game, NSW wanted it more and we looked a bit rusty.

If Thurston sinks those from the sideline (on his favoured side), it's tied and we probably go for the 2 instead of another crack at the tryline.

oh well, ifs and buts.

a shame i'll miss the next two being over in Brazil, but at least if I do and NSW win I'll get to miss the carry on about the streak being over etc.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

What is it about Queensland's line speed that can pin NSW in their own half, while the Blues seem to defend in slow motion in comparison

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
So I saw some footage of Cherry-Evans on crutches. He'll probably be right, but who would be QLD's third choice for halfback?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Beetson played more games for NSW than QLD. Discuss.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

There's a reason they change the interstate game to Origin.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I'm getting a blue jersey with #11 Beetson on it to wear at Game 3.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

A roosters jersey?

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

fuckpot posted:

So I saw some footage of Cherry-Evans on crutches. He'll probably be right, but who would be QLD's third choice for halfback?

Chris Sandow

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Saul Goode posted:

Chris Sandow
I thought you were joking but I just looked through the list of eligible Maroons players and it will either be him or Robert Lui.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
So can a Blues supporter tell me how to deal with loss because I can't even remember what it was like last time the maroons lost.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Byolante posted:

So can a Blues supporter tell me how to deal with loss because I can't even remember what it was like last time the maroons lost.

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/whisky-spirits/whisky-scotch

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

iajanus posted:

My prediction is NSW will somehow miraculously win the first Queensland game, everyone will think that it might be OK and then they'll poo poo the bed at ANZ and they'll lose the last two games by a mile.

:(

Just bringing up my prediction from the beginning of the thread - my clairvoyance is at full power apparently (I'm assuming it's a safe bet that NSW will complete the second part of the prediction in 3 weeks).

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Smith Slater Cronk all injured.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

That just means the inevitable Queensland win will be even more painful because we'll see headlines of how the new players triumphed over adversity.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
In a way I think thats almost better than some not being injured because it means they can build a new spine fresh and play Inglis where he should be, not where Slater isn't.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Milford will come onto the bench for DCE, he'd be ahead of Sandow (I would love to see Sandow in Origin, I reckon he'd go great). Jake Friend or Matt Ballin would cover Smith, while Lawrence or Lillyman should replace Papalii. They could go with Dave Taylor too I suppose.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
They could just move Thurston back to halfback and find another 6. I like the idea of Inglis there but it would be a bit of a NSW thing to do to pick someone out of position with no previous game time there. Who are the other Queensland 5/8ths available?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Saul Goode posted:

They could just move Thurston back to halfback and find another 6. I like the idea of Inglis there but it would be a bit of a NSW thing to do to pick someone out of position with no previous game time there. Who are the other Queensland 5/8ths available?

Cherry-Evans, Milford, Sandow, Ben Hunt(?), Cameron Smith. Those would be the only credible options I think.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I'd go with Milford in the halves if DCE isn't available, or play Smith there and use another player or two at dummy half. I doubt they would go out of their way to have another half on the bench if DCE starts. Two props, a second rower and a dummy half is a good bench mix if Smith isn't playing 9.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

I'd go with Milford in the halves if DCE isn't available, or play Smith there and use another player or two at dummy half. I doubt they would go out of their way to have another half on the bench if DCE starts. Two props, a second rower and a dummy half is a good bench mix if Smith isn't playing 9.

Ballin has done it before and can play 80, although I think Jake Friend was with the squad in the buildup so he's the option if Smith isn't fit or is used in the halves.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 29, 2014

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

If anyone other than Smith is playing dummy half, it would be a big risk to expect him to go 80, or at least not have some sort of cover available.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Reynolds got his charged downgraded and is free for the next Origin game.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Did anyone really expect the judiciary to gently caress with a winning NSW Origin team?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jono C posted:

Did anyone really expect the judiciary to gently caress with a winning NSW Origin team?
I didn't think the tackle was that bad anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Jamal Idris taking a break from rugby league.

Panthers saying it's personal not disciplinary.

• Locked thread