Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Forbin5 posted:

Samsung blows Vizio out of the mater meng.

Used to maybe. For 99.99% of people out there the Vizio is a way better deal unless your e-penis gets smaller because your color reproduction is 2 degrees off.

And none of that has anything to do with my post you quoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm looking for a TV in the 24"-32" range. I'm replacing a 20" CRT in my bedroom, and don't want to go smaller equivalent than that, and its a bedroom TV that gets minimal use so it doesn't have to be huge.

I won't have cable hooked up to this. Smart would be good, or I could always get a chromecast or something. Brand isn't a killer, unless someone's smart features literally blow everything else away. I'd be interested in not spending a ton on this.

Is there really a big difference between 1080p and 720p in this size?

I haven't bought a TV in 6 years. I don't know, Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Vizio?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People seem to rate the Samsung UN32EH5300 pretty well. $300 on Amazon (through TigerDirect though.) Smart and 1080p.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

625 should get you more TV than that. Does Best Buy still have that 55" Vizio for 700?

Missed it but there's this 47" Sceptre E475BV-FMDU for $329

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-E...ner=lw9MynSeamY

I just can't decide on a TV I'm so indecisive I keep missing deals

Does 120hz + even matter at all for gaming? 60hz is more than enough, correct? You just care about refresh rate...or time, whatever? Because I know the one I just linked is 6ms which from googling says that's good enough

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

People seem to rate the Samsung UN32EH5300 pretty well. $300 on Amazon (through TigerDirect though.) Smart and 1080p.

Yeah I did see that. It would be on the high end for this. I mean, I saw Vizio for like $40 less, so why not get the Samsung? I'd probably get that Samsung, unless there's something reasonably decent for closer to $200.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Christoff posted:

Does 120hz + even matter at all for gaming? 60hz is more than enough, correct? You just care about refresh rate...or time, whatever? Because I know the one I just linked is 6ms which from googling says that's good enough

You should care more about input lag than panel response time. To decrease the input lag you are probably going to turn of motion smoothing/interpolation anyway so you won't use 120/240/6000 hertz functionality. No console outputs at 120 hz and if it did your TV wouldn't accept it as input.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

120Hz+ has a minor, basically imperceptible benefit when gaming. It does reduce motion blur even with all the effects off. It doesn't eliminate it though so you won't notice.

The only real benefit is that a 120Hz+ TV is probably also 3D and so can play 3D games.

Refresh rate isn't what you're looking at anymore though. All TVs and monitors are low enough for gaming on that metric these days. Input lag is a separate thing that's not reported by manufacturers. It's really only covered by review sites that test for it. Those store brands like Sceptre, Insignia, Dynex etc. tend to have high lag.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I've been out of the TV purchasing market for like 6 years so I'm basically an idiot at this point. I'm looking for a 50" LED in the $1000 area with low input lag in game mode. Not likely to use 3D so that type of performance is a non-factor.

I saw a nice review of the Sony KDL-50W829 on avforums--seemed to check all my boxes--but I notice it doesn't appear to be for sale outside of Europe. Is the KDL-50W800 the same thing for the US market or is the 829 its successor that hasn't been released stateside yet?

Any other recommendations are also appreciated.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The W800 is Active 3D and the 829 is passive, so definitely not the same model.

Neron
Jan 14, 2008

829 is active 3D. A review. Also has super low latency so it's a great gaming TV. I have the 50W815B model which is the same but it's in silver colour, no idea if these are sold outside the EU though.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
after further research, it would appear the 815/829 are not coming to the US and the closest we get is the 800. Seems well-liked though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Neron posted:

829 is active 3D. A review. Also has super low latency so it's a great gaming TV. I have the 50W815B model which is the same but it's in silver colour, no idea if these are sold outside the EU though.

That's weird. Sony's own site says passive.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

For a smaller TV, are the smart features that good? Or am I better off buying a cheaper set and sticking a chromecast/roku stick on it?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

They're a lot better on the 2014 models. Generally lovely interface and slow apps. Can't go wrong with a roku

That being said its becoming standard

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Christoff posted:

They're a lot better on the 2014 models. Generally lovely interface and slow apps. Can't go wrong with a roku

That being said its becoming standard

So its poo poo, but better than the old poo poo? I likely won't have cable on this TV, so if its just a monitor, I don't care. Unless the smart features are killer - like I won't have to plug in a Roku.

I mean my main TV is a 50" Sony projection from 2007. I change the bulb every 2 years, I have a 2010 WDTV Live and a Chromecast plugged into it. It could use more than 2 HDMI ports, but I'm happy with how everything looks and works. If I can get everything in one package, I'll be impressed, but a dumb TV with a plugin that works a lot better for the same total price is more than fine with me.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 27, 2014

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
I feel pretty dumb asking this, but I am unaware of what the difference is when it comes to LEDs.

I see that some LED TVs have an effect when you are watching a tv show/movie/etc, and it almost seems "fake" insofar as the video looks like you are literally on the set of the show being filmed. I have noticed this while at my parent's house and they were watching an episode of SVU today (huge Sharp Aquos) and it looked completely different when I came back to my place and watched the same episode on my Vizio 55" e550i-B2. Yes I understand my Vizio is a budget model, I just don't know what that difference is that causes such a change in the picture quality (I was only able to find something called "Soap Opera Effect" via a lot of Googling, however I don't think that is the answer). Can someone school me in this or at least point me in the right direction?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Mr Hands Colon posted:

I feel pretty dumb asking this, but I am unaware of what the difference is when it comes to LEDs.

I see that some LED TVs have an effect when you are watching a tv show/movie/etc, and it almost seems "fake" insofar as the video looks like you are literally on the set of the show being filmed. I have noticed this while at my parent's house and they were watching an episode of SVU today (huge Sharp Aquos) and it looked completely different when I came back to my place and watched the same episode on my Vizio 55" e550i-B2. Yes I understand my Vizio is a budget model, I just don't know what that difference is that causes such a change in the picture quality (I was only able to find something called "Soap Opera Effect" via a lot of Googling, however I don't think that is the answer). Can someone school me in this or at least point me in the right direction?

You're right, it is the soap opera effect. This article explains it pretty well it seems, but I only skimmed it: http://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-the-soap-opera-effect/.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

For a smaller TV, are the smart features that good? Or am I better off buying a cheaper set and sticking a chromecast/roku stick on it?

It has the same suite as the larger TVs do.

It's apparently a little clunky to navigate but it works fine.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just keep an eye on slickdeals.net front page and forums. Lots of good deals recently and probably for the next month as they clear out models for the 4k whatever poo poo.

Some brands put a lot more work into the apps. I think LG has a decent new app interface with a fancy controller and motion poo poo. Some have keyboards on the back of the controller, etc.

I wouldn't worry about it regardless just find a TV you like and if it has smart features so be it. I'd look into one of the more high end rokus. Looking at $80 ish and the new ones have a USB plug
In for playing videos which is handy. Some fancier TVs do too

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's actually the less fancy TVs that play video from USB. The big name stuff like Sony, Samsung, LG etc. don't do it but smaller brands like Vizio do.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

1997 posted:

You're right, it is the soap opera effect. This article explains it pretty well it seems, but I only skimmed it: http://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-the-soap-opera-effect/.

So does this mean their tv just has not been calibrated? I really only ask because I'm unable to replicate that picture on my unit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mr Hands Colon posted:

So does this mean their tv just has not been calibrated? I really only ask because I'm unable to replicate that picture on my unit.

No, it just means they didn't turn the feature off.

Your TV should be able to do it but I don't know what Vizio calls it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm looking at the Vizio M551D-A2R to purchase - I'm guessing that's the 2013 model? Is there an equivalent 2014 model?

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
Hey everybody, I'm moving into a new apartment and would like to be one of you TV watching people, with access to content and everything (I've been pretty much DVD-only for about 8 years). I bought a Sony equipped with Smart TV (only review I could find is [url] here http://www.thegoodblog.com.au/product-reviews/flatscreen-tv/sony-50-inch-full-hd-smart-tv-kdl50w700a/[/url]. I'm in Mexico, not Australia). I'd like to set up a VPN network and watch US Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime, and UK BBC. However, I don't know if Sony's Smart TV will allow this, or if I should get an additional box like a PS3 (which I have handy) or a Roku 3 (which I'd have to go buy).

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of setup? Is there a guide I could consult? I'm sorry if I'm not giving the right information, I've been out of the loop for a while :)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You don't need a VPN, use Unblock-US.

It works by DNS, which if the TV doesn't support customizing then your router will.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Weird question that I'm not sure will get answered:

On a Vizio E601i-A3 (http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E601i-A3-60-inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B009H8JOZS), there's a weird bug where Game Mode doesn't stay on after you turn off/turn on the TV. So you need to go into the menu, turn it off, then turn it on again to get rid of the delay. Minor inconvenience but it's easy to forget. I've been debating whether I should go online with it (clicking "Yes" to the weird Yahoo thing it asks) to check and see if it had any firmware updates. However I want to avoid as much built-in "smart" bloat as possible since I use a Roku for all of that anyways.

1. Does it have an update that fixes this?
2. Is it worth it to let it go online?
3. Can I "uninstall" or opt-out of all that crap afterwards?

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

You don't need a VPN, use Unblock-US.

It works by DNS, which if the TV doesn't support customizing then your router will.

That looks pretty great, thanks, I'll start reading up on it. In general, is Sony Smart TV well regarded? Did I do well in choosing that TV?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

The Joe Man posted:

Weird question that I'm not sure will get answered:

On a Vizio E601i-A3 (http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E601i-A3-60-inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B009H8JOZS), there's a weird bug where Game Mode doesn't stay on after you turn off/turn on the TV. So you need to go into the menu, turn it off, then turn it on again to get rid of the delay. Minor inconvenience but it's easy to forget. I've been debating whether I should go online with it (clicking "Yes" to the weird Yahoo thing it asks) to check and see if it had any firmware updates. However I want to avoid as much built-in "smart" bloat as possible since I use a Roku for all of that anyways.

1. Does it have an update that fixes this?
2. Is it worth it to let it go online?
3. Can I "uninstall" or opt-out of all that crap afterwards?

I have this TV and let it update every time it's available. I don't have this bug and I don't think I ever have. You can just ignore all the built in apps like I do. I use my Apple TV for all streaming duties.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

burnsep posted:

That looks pretty great, thanks, I'll start reading up on it. In general, is Sony Smart TV well regarded? Did I do well in choosing that TV?

The only outlier with Smart suites is that Panasonic's sucks. Everyone else is perfectly useable. Sony makes good TVs.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm looking for a 50"+ TV with decent color and low latency numbers because I'm going to have a PC hooked up to it as an HTPC for fast Niddhogg action and whatnot. I've kinda given up on getting a plasma since the Panasonics are forever gone and the Samsung 5300 looks like it has 70-100ms of input latency.

Any suggestions? :ohdear:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm finding 60" and 65" Sharp TVs for around $1k, does anyone have feedback on Sharp sets?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Keep missing deals. Saw this Samsung on sale at tigerdirect for 2 days for $577 after $50 coupon. Pretty bare bones but has good specs. Don't care for 3D. Only 2 HDMI and no smart features. What do you guys think? Good reviews on amazon. Will amazon price match something to the price with a coupon?

http://m.tigerdirect.com/products/7839053?SRCCODE=WEM4111DI

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Phone posted:

I'm finding 60" and 65" Sharp TVs for around $1k, does anyone have feedback on Sharp sets?

My 42" sharp is still kicking 7 years later without a hitch.

I am not super sperg but it's been a terrific value.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Friend's looking at a Toshiba 48L1453DN at 40% off this weekend. Is it worth the investment? How is it in terms of lag and motion blur and such? It's mainly gonna be used for movies and TV series over HDMI and an Xbox 360. Haven't been able to find many reviews.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

Christoff posted:

Keep missing deals. Saw this Samsung on sale at tigerdirect for 2 days for $577 after $50 coupon. Pretty bare bones but has good specs. Don't care for 3D. Only 2 HDMI and no smart features. What do you guys think? Good reviews on amazon. Will amazon price match something to the price with a coupon?

http://m.tigerdirect.com/products/7839053?SRCCODE=WEM4111DI

Good TV for the money. Will need to do your own color adjustment. I actually do not like smart TVs. I'd rather just use Chromecast, AppleTV, or a Roku and upgrade these components as necessary.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Thanks for the help man. I ended up going with this one

42" LG 42LN5400 for $339 shipped. No tax since it's on ebay. Not as big but it's a good entry level TV I think to hold me off for a couple years. Pretty much the same just 42"

http://slickdeals.net/f/6964608-42-lg-42ln5400-1080p-120hz-led-hdtv-339-free-shipping

Some people are buying through Sears and then getting it pricematched and redeeming points as well saving even more money.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I just purchased my own place and after not watching TV for a few years. I had just used a blu ray player with my PC and Netflix. I bought a Sharp LC-60SQ15U 60-inch Aquos Q+ last night for my new living room and I gotta say I am really impressed with the picture off of the Roku 3 I have. It may just be me not having watched anything in forever but these new TVs get it done. I was wondering about the "resolution mode" options as well as the refresh rate it defaults to. Apparently the set can do 240hz but it defaults to "120hz high" processing and offers a choice between two resolution modes - one for images/videos without much motion and one for action flicks. Any point to messing with this stuff? I was flicking around them watching the Skyfall opener and couldn't tell much of a difference beyond brightness.

I have a PC that can handle 3D gaming so I am thinking about hooking it on up if the TV is supported by Nvidia!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What's the general consensus opinion regarding this curved-screen business? Is it gonna be a common thing 10 or 20 years from now, or will flat screens probably come out on top? Or will it only exist in the most expensive high-end models?

I'm trying to figure out if a curved-screen LED TV is a better purchase than a flat-screen LED in the long-term.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

What's the general consensus opinion regarding this curved-screen business? Is it gonna be a common thing 10 or 20 years from now, or will flat screens probably come out on top? Or will it only exist in the most expensive high-end models?

I'm trying to figure out if a curved-screen LED TV is a better purchase than a flat-screen LED in the long-term.

If your TV doesn't go from flat to curved with a voice command, why bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I posted this in the Video Questions thread, before realizing that thread hadn't been touched since April. So I'll just repost it here:

I have Time Warner for my TV, and I recently got annoyed with my 7 year old cable box being noisy and hot even while turned off. They said there is a "greener" box, but it doesn't have HDMI. Aside from the fact that I'm baffled as to why my options are either HDMI or electricity hog in the goddamn year 2014, Component cable aren't going to give me any worse of a signal for regular HD TV viewing, right?